PDA

View Full Version : Friday is here

Blondie
December 9th, 2011, 08:30 AM

Happy Friday everyone!

Is it just me or has this week, month, year zipped by? I am being most sincere! I am sitting here thinking gosh, in a week, my Daddy will be gone one year. And I still expect him to come walking into the room each day I am down at Mom's. Wierd, I guess.

I may not get back on this weekend. I will be staying at Mom's again this weekend. Next week may be sketchy for me to get in as well, since we have some doctor appts scheduled, tests, etc. So, I know my time will be most limited.

I enjoyed reading everyone's traditions. Dear Ms. Daisy, I am also a December baby, so I found it very sweet that you make sure your DD has her day. Over the years I have had mixed emotions about my birthday. When I was a kid, I would hear in a stage whisper, "you know Christmas is in a week!" Well, it worked well on a little kid, until I realized that I didn't have any extra gifts under the tree. Then I went through a phase where it was just another day. When I married my Luscious, he always gives me a little something to bring a smile to my face. My children never knew I even had a birthday until then. LOL. Then, one day, don't remember when, I realized that birthdays for me ARE special, because that is the day that the Lord chose for me to be born. It isn't just for making sure my kids special days are filled with wonder and thanks, it is for everyone who celebrates a birthday.

To expound on this a bit, since I never had cake, gifts or parties, when I had children I went totally gaga. Why, I even held unbirthday parties since it is someone's birthday everyday! I would invite neighborhood children over for cake and ice cream, party games and all! I was everyone's favorite mom. hehehe. I generally get a card from my Mom telling me inside how special it is to be her very own Christmas gift. My Daddy never one to be sentimental, told me that I was the only gift he had to pay for 18 years. As they got older I told them that I was the gift that keeps on giving. All of the above is true!

Have a special day everyone! Nancy, hope you are feeling better!

SMILE !!!

rebeccas-sewing
December 9th, 2011, 08:52 AM
So, Blondie! When is the big day? Mine is Christmas Day so I can totally relate. However, my mom always made an effort to give me some special attention on Christmas Eve. She would set the table in the diningroom for dinner. She'd make me a cake and we'd have ice cream. I did actually get birthday presents after the meal which was fun for me since I got a jump on opening gifts. Only once do I remember a party (I think she may have had one for me when I was little). It took 5 people arriving at my house before I realized I was in the midst of a surprise birthday party for my 16th birthday. My girlfriend came to the house to pick me up to go to the movies. As we were about ready to leave the house Patty and Larry pulled up in the driveway. I said, "Hardly anyone stops by for a visit. Why when we're getting ready to go out the door have friends stopped by?" They came in and we were making polite conversation when another couple drove up. It wasn't until they came in the house that I realized something was up. That, my dear, is how clueless I can be. Also, the fact that my birthday was always celebrated just with my immediate family it would never have occurred to me that a party was happen'.LOL

This year is my 60th! I thank the dear Lord for giving me another year of life. That's what I celebrate. Not my birth but my life!

MRoy
December 9th, 2011, 08:57 AM
I'm a December baby born close to Christmas too so I can relate. There is one day between my dad's birthday and mine. My mom would bake a birthday cake for us to share on that day.

Wishing everyone a great day!

Bubby
December 9th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Good Morning,

Everyone is up with the birds...must be the holiday crunch!

It looks like we may become parents to a black lab for Christmas this year. DH fell in love with one that is being trained by the inmates at the prison where he works. Once the dogs are fully trained they are returned to the animal shelter with a diploma and then are prime candidates for adoption. Looks like DH may get his hunting dog at last!

Today is the day for wrting our Christmas cards and getting them in the mail. I wasn't going to do cards this year, but realized that's the only contact I have with several people I don't want to forget. Time permitting I may bake a couple batches of cookies...I'm thinking maybe Mexican wedding cakes and Danish sugar cookies. I can almost smell them now.

I wish you all a terrific day and I'll pop back in a little later....Hugs, Barb

oldgurl4
December 9th, 2011, 09:54 AM
On the 9th Day of X-Mas My True love gave to Meee...

"9 Ladies Dancing"

BTWOne of those ladies is Me!!!(keep reading)

Good Friday Morning Everyone....

Awww X-Mas Babies!

I luv your wonderful Memories Thank-You for Sharing them.

~Sunshine~ Guess who is also coming to concert here in Miami?
But... I won't be as lucky as You.
Okayyyyyy..... I'll give ya a Hint! it rhymes with Algerian. Hee-hee

It's raining since early this morning....
Guess to make way for a Beautifull Weekend.
Oh HECK!... what am I complaining Then?...LOL

DH has a Fishing Tournament this weekend(Yeah! it's the equivalent of your hubby's Hunting) LOL
It will be the 1st SAILFISH KickOff of the Season in Coconut Grove, FL

So for Me that Translates...... SANCTUARY in the Play Room for Two Whole Glorious Days.
"Alleluia" (I luv that Song)
I guess It's My X-Mas Gift From Santa!...LOL
And that's how I became the 9th Lady Dancing...Hee-hee

~You all have a Wonderful and Blessed Weekend~

TTYL

DCM
December 9th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Off work today -- hope to finish some Christmas gift quilting and get more shopping done. Happy Friday everyone!

Beakkmom
December 9th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Good morning ladies, I woke up yesterday full of Christmas cheer so I carried lots of Christmas decorations down from the attic. I was feeling festive, so I thought I'd take my mom's Christmas sweaters to her at the nursing home, hoping for a smile from her ~ I ended up calling my DS and brothers, as hospice said she is probably going to be spending Christmas in heaven. What a joyous time of year to go home to Jesus! Our sorrw for a moment, her joy forever!

Blondie, thanks for sharing about your father's homegoing, it has helped me tremendously over the last few weeks.

Lin

Loonwatcher
December 9th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Good Morning,

Well I'm back to work. Hope to make it all day, not sure. It's such a mess here, it's no wonder I hate to miss work, coming back is such a nightmare.

DS gave me a June Taylor Shape Cut ruler for my bday. He wrapped it up in a huge box with weights so I had no idea what I was getting. He's such a trickster! DH also gave me some items from my list including a spool rack. He always also gives me a mushy card. DS say "Dad, don't get her crying it just stuffs her up more!" I love my guys!

Sounds like we have lots of December babies here. Rebecca's the 25th. Blondie and Myrna, when's yours?

I better get to work while I still have some energy. Have a great day!

Sandy Navas
December 9th, 2011, 11:15 AM
December must be the month for all the wonderful birthdays!!! I see three just here - Li'l Sis also has a birthday coming up. Mine is in January - I was 23 months old when Li'l Sis was born and I have the clearest memory of my MGF pushing the bassinet around the house with me holding on and standing on the wheel base while he did so. Momma was cooking (at that time on a kerosene stove - remember those where you inverted the bottle of kerosene?). Clear as it can be.

Woke to a 'dusting' of snow on the ground today. Second snow of the season for us - doubt it will last long though. I'll be happy as long as DH doesn't feel the need to get out there and try to shovel. I think this is the year that I convince him to spend the moola for a snow blower - we're getting too old and too broke to keep plowing a long driveway.

I finished another surprise project yesterday morning and have another one sitting in the que. Need to work on the DGDs projects but that's been difficult with them being here in the afternoons. It has been so much fun getting to know each personality better though. Oh, and I did finish DDs quilted dresser scarf - must take pictures of that. Wore myself out yesterday morning and had to take a nap in the afternoon!!!

If I don't get off here and start with my projects I won't feel as if I've accomplished much today. I was pretty much feeling the urge NOT to decorate and Al and I had discussed it. But yesterday (surprise) he announced to me that he was feeling the urge to decorate the house. We've decided to wait until the 16th to do it though - timing is of essence.

I'm sending lots of warm hugs and thoughts to everyone out there in M*QC land! Prayers where needed. Know that I hold each of you in my heart in a very special place!!

Monique
December 9th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Good morning lovely ladies.

If you all followed by sewscapades about the oven mitt yesterday, I think I will ATTEMPT to finish off the edges. Hope that doesn't mean another day from $%%%%!! LOL!!

I just found out yesterday that I will be working at a post office in one of the neighbouring villages on Saturday. I put in my name for part-time work. I did not think it would come so soon. Oh well it is for just a couple of hours.

So today I have to make homemade buns to take with me tomorrow. I was invited to a xmas dinner with cousins we have reconnected with. My aunt is the last remaining sister to my father, so it will be such a wonderful time I know. I am really looking forward to it.

So between baking and sewing looks like I have a full day.

Happy Friday to you all. Keep smiling!!

Nancy, sounds like you had a pretty nice birthday. GOOD!!

mitzs
December 9th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Good Morning Everyone!

ramisaj
December 9th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Good evening ladies

meemeecyn
December 9th, 2011, 02:09 PM
TGIF everyone! Cooking up a storm to get ready for company tomorrow.....too bad I must do some taste testing!!!

Blondie....I interpreted by your note that you were born on the 25th! Isn't it wonderful so many special people were born on that day. You have such a wonderful attitude!!!

Well, best get back to work. I just wanted to say hi to all my quilting buddies.
Cynthia

pdjewelrylady
December 9th, 2011, 02:15 PM
good morning ladies, my daughter is december baby too - her name is Holly Belle :icon_happy:

in process of digging out the lights and tree here .... but the sewing never stops! lol :) made this Merry Christmas hugs & kisses for my chair ... it was supposed to be jenny's x/o pattern when it started but somehow ..... near 3 am.... i made actual X and O blocks - so there ya go.... :lol:

I am going to bake some cookies today for exchange tomorrow night and watching close for the mail lady to bring the final 4 packages of 3dude blocks to swap!! fun and festive :D

HandsOffItsMine
December 9th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Wow, well Happy BDay to all the December Babies! :D No matter how young or old. Just aging like a good wine or quilt.

Today marks the sixth month of our move to new home/state. Feel blessed that we found a small place for a grand, all utilities included to survive on DH's SS...First Check this Month. Yea!!!

Woke up with a Migraine from H*LL, the blues 'cause the 21st Mom will be in Heaven 12 years and I miss her so much every day, the first XMas without my daughter, grandsons and son-in-law (and he's a keeper :D). Yet feel bad about sitting here crying, which I hardly ever do, 'cause we have friends and acquaintances who are worse off in this economy or healthwise.

The holidays can be such a mixed blessing, an emotional up and down time. I think I better go get out some fabric and ohhh/ahhh over them, maybe I'll feel better.

Anyway...Sandy, I hemmed about what to do about decorating as we have very limited space in 700 sq. ft and no storage space. Was going to get a lighted wall wreath, metal sculpted trees, candles put them on the book case - then no more sculpted trees any where. Decided the heck with it...we pulled three Angels off the Salvation Army tree and will buy those gifts instead of decorating. :) Pandora will fill the condo with the Xmas Music and the Flat Screen with Xmas Movies & Past Family Xmas Photos.

Suzi, love your Xs and Os quilt, just beautiful!

Special hugs and prayers for those who have love ones crossing over to God's House, those of us who have love ones already by God's side...(((all))) I feel your pain.

Much love, Ruby

quiltingtrish
December 9th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Hi everyone!
Been a busy week here just trying to keep up. Took Katie to the ER on Tuesday night and it turned out after test after test that she was having an anxiety attack. Has been exhausted since so need to take her to see the family doctor next week and see what's up. Seems that she might have to talk to someone about stuff she doesn't realize she needs to talk about, maybe that will help. Herself physically has all checked out, they did blood work so see if any levels were off, did chest xray and dye test on her lungs to see why she couldn't breathe right and all is ok - thank the Lord. So, he said it must be all the changes to her life the past 10 months or so and I'm sure it didn't help that her boyfriend broke up with her last Sunday. Oh, the trials of being a teenager. Wish I could solve all her troubles for her.
I asked her if she wanted to go to the laundromat with me tonight and she looked at me like I was nuts. So I said, you know, just to spend time together. Well, that didn't go over so she is there by herself to do it for me. Ok, I'll take that.
Need to get a quilty project together for tomorrow. It's our 2nd get together for a few of us to get together and work on our own projects with each bringing their own machine and fabrics, patterns, etc. My sister is so excited and I'm glad she is coming. I actually started this little group for her and me to get away from the household stuff and just sew and spend time together. There will be 4 of us, so it's a nice little group. We go down to my church which is a block away so it's nice that I'm close if I need to be somewhere in an emergency. Have a huge room to set up in with no distractions. Don't know why I didn't think of that sooner than last month.
Odie is coming home in 8 days. WhoHoo! I'm sure you'll be seeing me counting down the days here. Hope to hear from him tonight as he has been in the field for a week, sure miss his voice. I am ready for hugging come next Saturday.
Well, best run so I can get my quilty stuff together. Don't know when the body will say 'enough already', don't think it's caught up yet from getting home at 4 in the morning from the ER and then after 2 hours of sleep, getting up and going to work. You do what you gotta do.
Hope you all have a great Friday evening. Oh - maybe getting a tree tomorrow, we'll see what time the quilting is finished for the day.
Hugs,

janluna
December 10th, 2011, 04:32 AM
Sandy, we had a stove like that. It helped heat our house. Loved it. My Father would refill the bucket and then tell us, " I patted Florence on the bucket and she's good to go". Yes, he named the stove Florence. I don't think that was hard to think up because that is the name of the company that built her.
Blondie, my Mom was born on the 21st of December. She was a depression kid so gifts were few and were also Christmas gifts. Then when Joe and I started going together I found out his Mother's was the 21st too. So we always made it a big day and they celebrated them together.
My Gramie was a riot though, her birthday was the 25th of May. She started celebrating it on the 1st and went to lunch with friends, and found something to do for her birthday everyday until the 25th. Pretty soon the whole town was in on it, everyone played along. She loved it. Talk about celebrating your life. LOL Boy do I miss her.
Suzi, I love your quilt!
Trish I will pray for Katie to feel better.
Happy Birthday to all the December babies. My friend Carol's BD is the 25th too. Hugs, Jan