PDA

View Full Version : How odd is this

Hulamoon
July 10th, 2016, 02:36 AM
This is a science subject.My ice is disappearing from my trays. I never had it happen before. Now it's been a couple of times. I looked it up and thank gosh I wasn't the only one looking for the answer.

The other day they had a marathon of the Twilight Zone and I felt I was in one. lol

quiltsRfun
July 10th, 2016, 02:46 AM
I find the cubes shrink if they've been in the freezer for a while.

K. McEuen
July 10th, 2016, 03:09 AM
When your freezer does the auto defrost thing it can affect your cubes, especially if the freezer doesn't have much in it.

Hulamoon
July 10th, 2016, 03:16 AM
When your freezer does the auto defrost thing it can affect your cubes, especially if the freezer doesn't have much in it.

Hmm I don't think I have auto defrost. I'll have to look into that. The trays went to empty. One answer was freezer burn. Strange.

pcbatiks
July 10th, 2016, 03:25 AM
Weird .......cue the Twilight Zone music........... :D

K. McEuen
July 10th, 2016, 03:45 AM
Hmm I don't think I have auto defrost. I'll have to look into that. The trays went to empty. One answer was freezer burn. Strange.

Does ice build up on the walls of your freezer? If not it is frost free, which is what I meant by auto defrost. It's late and my brain wasn't coming up with the right word.

Jean Sewing Machine
July 10th, 2016, 04:43 AM
It is called sublimation. Ice changes form from solid to gas without going through the liquid stage. My ice in the ice maker does it all the time.

From an online dictionary

Sublimation is a chemical process where a solid turns into a gas without going through a liquid stage. An example of sublimiation is when ice cubes shrink in the freezer.

Bubby
July 10th, 2016, 07:17 AM
Jean is correct...it's a process called sublimation.

seaturtle
July 10th, 2016, 10:10 AM
There are little ice fairies in your freezer. They are shrinking the ice to distract you from noticing the missing ice cream:icon_giggle:

Granny Fran
July 10th, 2016, 10:11 AM
Who knew??? We just always blamed it on the ghost. LOL

MayinJerset
July 10th, 2016, 10:22 AM
There are little ice fairies in your freezer. They are shrinking the ice to distract you from noticing the missing ice cream:icon_giggle:
Forget science as this is the real answer - in our freezer the ice fairies are DH who usually finishes off all the ice cream before I have my share.

Hulamoon
July 10th, 2016, 10:38 AM
It is called sublimation. Ice changes form from solid to gas without going through the liquid stage. My ice in the ice maker does it all the time.

From an online dictionary

Sublimation is a chemical process where a solid turns into a gas without going through a liquid stage. An example of sublimiation is when ice cubes shrink in the freezer.

I ran across that when I was looking this up. What is bothering me is why after seven years is it all of a sudden doing it?

That's a good explanation too!

Angelia
July 10th, 2016, 10:38 AM
Ice fairies are more fun than sublimation! :)

quiltsRfun
July 10th, 2016, 11:19 AM
I like this explanation.

Carlie Wolf
July 10th, 2016, 11:23 AM
Jean, Jean you're just tooooooo smart!!! LOL

alliek
July 10th, 2016, 12:40 PM
Wow, the things learned here at this forum! Love it. Thanks for the information.

Hulamoon
July 10th, 2016, 12:46 PM
Well, from now on I'm going to bag up my ice so the fairies can't get to it. :icon_razz:

rebeccas-sewing
July 10th, 2016, 01:58 PM
This is definitely a new one on me. Joe says it takes a long time for this to happen. How long were the ice cubes in the tray? In winter ours never gets used so I'm wondering if ours disappears too. They fall into a large bin (freezer on the bottom) so I've never really paid attention. There's always ice in it so it wouldn't be apparent if any was disappearing.

Hulamoon
July 10th, 2016, 02:44 PM
This is definitely a new one on me. Joe says it takes a long time for this to happen. How long were the ice cubes in the tray? In winter ours never gets used so I'm wondering if ours disappears too. They fall into a large bin (freezer on the bottom) so I've never really paid attention. There's always ice in it so it wouldn't be apparent if any was disappearing.

Less than a month. I was experimenting blanching veggies to store in the freezer and there was no ice! I've had this fridge for about seven years and it never happened before. I think what Karen said about it not being full might be the reason. I did a major cleaning out the last couple of months, so it is fairly empty.

LauraP
July 10th, 2016, 05:07 PM
I asked my husband, the appliance repairman, and he said to check your filters if you haven't done that lately. There should be one on the water line behind the fridge and there might be one behind the kick panel. They need to be changed once in a while. He also said to check the water valve in the back of the machine. The little wire filters get clogged up with dirt and cut down on the amount of water being put in each ice cube. Anyway, thought I would give you the technical things although personally I believe in ice fairies and computer gremlins. Must be my Irish and Scot's blood.

JCY
July 10th, 2016, 05:09 PM
Never heard of the term sublimation being used for the ice cubes. The things we learn here! lol I don't make ice cubes; we like our water room temp. Also we don't have an ice maker.

SallyO'Sews
July 10th, 2016, 11:07 PM
It's probably my family members. They took all the ice cubes from my house without refilling the trays, and decided since there is no more ice here in Connecticut, that they should go to your house in Hawaii to get some.

Sorry. :icon_rolleyes:

cv quilter
July 10th, 2016, 11:46 PM
Lorie, you sure know how to get things movin' ! :)

Hulamoon
July 11th, 2016, 01:30 AM
Lorie, you sure know how to get things movin' ! :)

You mean my odd topic? lol

amartin24
July 11th, 2016, 10:38 AM
Wow, never thought I'd learn about this on the forum! I never heard of such a thing!

cv quilter
July 11th, 2016, 10:58 AM
You mean my odd topic? lol
Yes - Interesting facts learned on the MSQC Forum:lol:

CraftySweetPeas
July 11th, 2016, 09:37 PM
I think you should set a TRAP! Inquiring minds want to know!
(What is the level in the bottle of Scotch?) Lol... (I mean that only to be funny - no disrespect if there's none in your house!)

seaturtle
July 11th, 2016, 10:10 PM
What is the level in the bottle of Scotch?

Absolutely! Ice fairies love scotch! Vodka too, for that matter.