PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Thursday

Monique
July 7th, 2016, 07:50 AM
Good morning friends. It's a much deserved wet morning BUT we could use so much more rain. I think I can safely say that we are in a drought situation. It is so very dry.

Are there any followers of the show "The Curse of Oak Island"? WELL, Greg was attending a concert in Halifax and writes that he is sitting behind these guys. Ok I am a huge follower of the show and I am crapping my pants. Get pictures and get autographs. Greg is one lucky little shnut let me tell you. I open up facebook this morning and this is the first thing I see:

Charles Barkhouse and Rick Lagina. MY SON IS THE BEST!!! He was just telling me that it was his friend who recognized them. Greg told them that I had sh*t a chicken at the mention of them being there and they laughed signed the paper and apparently Greg was the one who started the autograph signing and left them his pen. HOW COOL IS MY SON!! I am just gobsmacked this morning.

So how to top this off today, hmmmm. Today is my last day of work this week. And I am happy to report that my parcel arrived yesterday. I had ordered 2 layer cakes of Butterfly Forest that I absolutely needed to make another quilt, of which they have since discontinued. http://www.threadbearfabrics.com/ is the link if anyone else needs these. I must say they are BEAUTIFUL!!

I had a lovely chat with Grandma Nan last night. I leave tomorrow morning on my road trip. My brother called last night with his order for jams from Manitoulin Island. I have a pattern to pick up for both Nancy and Peggy as well. Tonight we will pack (Les is going away too) and be ready to go in the morning. I am so 'cited' can you tell?

The butterfly quilt is half done now. I have been quilting up a storm this week. So that is what I will be doing today.

On that note friends, have an AWESOME day!

CraftyJnet
July 7th, 2016, 08:44 AM
My husband LOVES "The Curse of Oak Island". How cool that you will have their autographs!

Monique
July 7th, 2016, 08:51 AM
And he got a picture too!

peggiep
July 7th, 2016, 08:51 AM
Happy Thursday to all!
Monique - That is awesome about The Curse of Oak Island. When we were in Nova Scotia, they were filming out on the island, but we didn't get to meet them! We didn't get the rain you did and we need some desparately. Everything needs a good long soaking! If I don't get you before you leave tomorrow I hope you have a wonderful trip. Stay safe!

Today is the day the crafty ladies come. I am so looking forward to it. They are here for a coffee break and lunch and then afternoon tea so yesterday was spent in the kitchen rather than the sewing room. The menu is scones and jam with coffee for "break", spinach quiche and strawberry daquiri salad with brownies and frozen yogurt cups for "lunch" and morning glory bread for "tea". These are all new to me recipes so I hope everything turns out ok.

I have to go jump in the shower and have another coffee before they get here so I had better get my butt in gear!

Have a great day everyone...hugs and prayers to all! Catch you tomorrow cuz I'm playing with my friends in person today.

: )

Sandy Navas
July 7th, 2016, 09:01 AM
But, but, but . . . did he find out the truth about the Curse? We watch them and they quit filming about the time they are truly about to solve the mystery.

Monique
July 7th, 2016, 09:03 AM
But, but, but . . . did he find out the truth about the Curse? We watch them and they quit filming about the time they are truly about to solve the mystery.

They are in Halifax right now, maybe filming another season, me thinks. (wink wink wink) Why else would they be in Halifax?

Cokie
July 7th, 2016, 09:27 AM
I'm not familiar with that show, but what a wonderful thing for you, Monique! My day is certainly not so exciting! Getting ready for work shortly after another cup of coffee. I did not sleep at all last night so I finally got up and came downstairs while DH got ready for work, and wouldn't you know it, I dozed off in the chair! I just emailed my boss and told him I'm running late and will stay late tonight, and he said OK. His usual response is, "We're open 24/7 here." I'm so thankful for the flexibility but I do. Looks like it will be a rainy day here which is good because we need the rain. Hoping to get a little sewing done after work today. Off to get ready for work. Hope you all have a great day!!

quiltingtrish
July 7th, 2016, 10:04 AM
Monique - have a great time on your trip. Can't wait to hear about your adventures. How awesome that your son got those autographs and photo of your favorite show. I haven't heard of it before.
Peggie - getting together with friends is always awesome. I am sure your food will turn out wonderful.
Cokie - your day can only get better now that you got being late for work out of the way.

I am off here soon to meet up with my BFF for lunch and then off to Dad's for the rest of the day. It is supposed to be so HOT here they have put out the heat warnings. He was pretty adamant last night about planting the tomato plants that he bought that are still only an inch high. Says he thinks if we put them in miracle grow, they will be awesome. UGH. I cannot work outside in this heat, especially with all the steps he takes to plant a plant. He also has not called the gas guy to come turn on his hot water heater, it's been 2 weeks. He is so stubborn.
No sewing for me today since I will be leaving shortly but I plan to sew tomorrow. That gives me another day to think about how I want to put the back together for the current quilt project.
Have a great day everyone.

MayinJerset
July 7th, 2016, 10:05 AM
We're having a Heat Wave so the AC is running. DH just threw out the garbage and he lower the setting as it's already steamy out at 9 am.

Never heard of The Curse of Oak Island, sounds like something DH might like so we'll see if it's available on our cable. Monique's excitement about getting the cast member's autographs reminds me how my friends and I felt when we collected autographs when we were in high school, we all had autograph books. Way back in those days, 1950's, new movies premiered at the big movie houses in Manhattan and there was also a stage show featuring big named singers and bands. My girlfriends and I cut high school a few times to catch the first shows of the day. The lines waiting to get into the shows were filled with teenagers hiding their school books and lunches under their coats just in case the truant officers were around. After the shows we "hid out" in the movie houses's fancy ladies rooms until it was time to catch a subway train to arrive at our homes around the time we usually returned from school. No cell phones in those days so no opportunity to get any photos.

Monique you're certainly having an exciting time, Enjoy!

Lyndaj
July 7th, 2016, 10:28 AM
Monique, that is so cool. I have watched some of the show, but kept missing it. I also looked at your Butterfly Forest fabric and it is quite pretty. I want to see your finished quilt.

As for me, this is day 5 of being sick. Today I have about 3/4 of my voice, a stuffed nose and crap in my lungs which is crackling. As a result, there will continue to be no gym or running for me.

Hoping to Skype with my new running coach today. Scary proposition hiring a running coach.

Yesterday I cleaned up my sewing room since I'm not doing anything as I am entirely disenchanted. However, I have the first of 6 Learn to Sew classes on Saturday. This is a garment sewing course. Should hopefully be run.

Like Monique, it is extremely dry here. Rain please!

Ginny B
July 7th, 2016, 10:43 AM
Good morning and Happy Thursday all. Monique, how thrilling that your son got those autographs. Awesome! Peggie, have fun with the crafty ladies. Cokie, glad your boss was so understanding. May, you rascal you! Cutting school! Sounds like it was fun.:o. When I was in my early teens, a friend that lived across the street and I would go to the Fox theater for Murray the K's rock and roll shows.. We got to see so many great people. Ronnie and the Ronnetts , Diana Ross and the Supremes, Bobby Vinton, and Stevie Wonder when he was "Little Stevie Wonder. So many others too.

Today my sis and I are off to Brooklyn for the day so I'd better get going. Have a great day everyone.

WendyI
July 7th, 2016, 11:03 AM
Monique, never heard of that show but how cool is it that you got this! Your son is def. very sweet! Peggie, sounds like you are going to have an awesome day with your pals, and the snacks sound lovely! May I loved your story! Imagine Truant officers!! LOL! Do you still have your autograph books? They would be so interesting to see!

This morning was quite hectic for me. Liam and his best pal are in a Naturalist In Training program at our local nature reserve and tonight they are on an overnight camp out. He's going to be in a tent but sleeping right on the ground (ie. no air mattress). I am SO done with that kind of camping so I hope he enjoys it! LOL! So I had to run around and pick up a few necessities that I forgot to get earlier in the week (plastic plates and utensils!) and then pick up his friend and drive them both to the campsite before heading to work.

This weekend will be busy prepping for our trip to the east coast...it's coming so fast and I have so much to do!! Oh well, it'll all get done I'm sure.

Sending love and hugs to all xoxo

Cathy F
July 7th, 2016, 11:17 AM
Morning all,
Monique- what a wonderful surprise for you. I'm not familiar with that show.
Those snacks and lunch sound delish for your sewing company Peggy!
May, another hot and humid day for sure here too!

Was out early for blood work and then made a run to the bakery to pick up Linzer tarts to take upstate for my brother-in-law. He always looks for them when we come. Cheated and picked up a roll for my breakfast since I had been fasting and was hungry!
Hope it's cooler upstate, but either way it's always good to get away for a few days. Making good progress on the orange be peel quilt I'm to the point of ironing them down to the background fabric. After that's done I 'll stitch a few each day after I finish my regular sewing.
Relatively quiet here, our granddaughter is coming by today for a visit today which is always enjoyable. Once the grandkids get driving and working we don't see them quite as often.
Off to pack, and some last minute watering of plants before we leave. Wishing everyone a good day!

MayinJerset
July 7th, 2016, 12:37 PM
Ginny, Wasn't great living where we could see so many singers, groups. You're younger than I am because my friends and I went to the Brooklyn Paramount to see the first Al Freed Rock N Roll Shows.

Simply Quilting
July 7th, 2016, 01:21 PM
Good Morning! We had a nasty storm come through at almost 4AM this morning. The high winds snaps some power lines and there have been some trees lost around the area while other trees lost branches and leaves. We lost power for a while but it was back on within an hour. Thankfully, no reports of injuries. The city crews were out early this morning working on clearing roads so that they could be opened.

My afternoon plans are to try to get some sewing done.

Have a great day everyone :)

toggpine
July 7th, 2016, 03:49 PM
I watched a robin poach blueberries through our bird netting this morning. I wanted to be mad, but I realized I still had some in the freezer from last year. It was also risking it's life by sticking it's head into the net. I will still go out and brace the net away from the bushes after I harvest this batch.

I'm out to pick up a buck this afternoon. A gal has had her husband slide into dementia and needs to severely reduce the work on the farm. The bucks are usually harder to place due to their unbecoming behaviors during the breeding season. We'll see how he gets along with people and my other two boys. He may be a welcome addition, or a short stay.
Once that errand is done and a shower taken, I'll get to do some more sewing.

Make it a great day and share a few of your beautiful smiles!
Hugs, Cathy

JCY
July 7th, 2016, 04:10 PM
Cathy - A buck what? A buck deer, a buck rabbit? Not enough info. there to determine what that was all about. Sorry about the friend whose husb. is having dementia.

Sunny & hot here, but so far ~ 10 deg. cooler today than yest., which was 103! I just finished lunch. This a.m. was laundry & mixing up my batch of turkey patties, which I do every 3 wks. This afternoon will be a hair cut for DH. I need to get some dusting & vac'd done. My DGD is coming next week. Maybe there'll be time to work in some sewing somewhere.

K. McEuen
July 7th, 2016, 04:51 PM
Cathy - A buck what? A buck deer, a buck rabbit? Not enough info. there to determine what that was all about. Sorry about the friend whose husb. is having dementia.

A goat. Cathy has goats.

It was terribly hot here yesterday as well. I felt like I was melting when I got back from the grocery store.

toggpine
July 7th, 2016, 08:20 PM
A goat. Cathy has goats.

Oh my! That sounds like a disease diagnosis! :D

I'm sorry Mr. Reaney, we have tried everything. She's had goats for nearly 30 years, there isn't anything we can do at this point. You will just have to make the best of it.

We do have dairy goats along with chickens and turkeys on our little farm.