PDA

View Full Version : RETIREMENT . . . excited . . .

klgls
July 6th, 2016, 10:51 AM
. . . and a bit scared. I've decided to retire at the end of the year!!! I have been working full-time all my adult life and so looking forward to having time to do the things that interest me - like quilting, volunteering, traveling, etc. I have been blessed to have a wonderful job the past 16 years and a great boss - which made it a hard decision. I will be moving from the Kansas City area to a small town about 100 miles south. I will be a lot closer to my Mom who lives there. She is 85 and still in great health and I look forward to spending time with her. She is excited - she has been pretty lonely since Dad died a little over a year ago. She got interested in (addicted) quilting about 3 years ago and it has been fun sharing that with her. I'm also looking forward to spending more time with the grandkids. I haven't been married for a long - long time - so my time is my own and I plan to pursue some great activities and travel some with Mom.

On another note - I've been thinking about trading my Janome 6600P and 1600 in on the new Janome 9400 QCP. I got the chance to sew on it at the sewing machine dealer I use - it seems fabulous!! If anyone has one - would love your review.

Lori63
July 6th, 2016, 11:45 AM
Congrats! That's a big decision and it sounds like it's a good one for you! I can imagine being scared and excited at the same time!

KaylaWalker
July 6th, 2016, 11:46 AM
Congrats on your pending retirement. Enjoy those special moments with your mom!

amartin24
July 6th, 2016, 11:56 AM
Congratulations! What an awesome plan you have and I so envy you! Enjoy the precious time with your Mom! Mine just passed this year - she would've been 86.

Kgrammiecaz
July 6th, 2016, 12:23 PM
I am so so excited for you. And to be able to spend more time with your mom and the grands, how awesome it that.

Patsquilting
July 6th, 2016, 12:39 PM
Congrats. I retired earlier this year - and have not once regretted it. Enjoy the time with your mom. It's nice you now have more in common. Can't help with the Janome question - Good Luck!

rebeccas-sewing
July 6th, 2016, 12:39 PM
You'll love being retired. As my sister said She never saw anyone who was retired who didn't have a smile on their face when they came into the library where she worked. She finally retired and is loving it!!!

SallyO'Sews
July 6th, 2016, 05:49 PM
Kathy, if I wasn't so happy for you, I would be insanely jealous. Hope you enjoy every single minute of your retirement - sounds as if you have certainly earned it! Glad you'll be near your mom & grands - that's the best ever!

KarenC
July 6th, 2016, 06:03 PM
So happy for you. I find myself thinking about it more and more often these days. I keep hoping they decide to give me a package. It would make the decision much easier. Maybe when I get grands. Again very HAPPY for you.

peggiep
July 6th, 2016, 06:21 PM
Congratulations! I retired 2 years ago and I have always said "Retirement is the best kept secret". I know you will enjoy spending time with your Mom and doing things together. As the date approaches, you will be even more excited! All the best.

MaryUK
July 6th, 2016, 06:33 PM
I am so pleased for you!

Over here the state pension pays out when a person reaches 65/66 years old - don't know how things work in the USA. Hubby retired last year but have another 6 years to work but seeing all the time he has on his hands has made me very unsettled. Especially as I have worked full time for the last 40+ years.

Anyway we have done some number crunching and it works out that I can retire much earlier!! I intend working another couple of years so we can do a couple of holidays of a lifetime!!

Would love to go to M* but think it's a bit far for a visit to a fabric shop!! Have always wanted to visit New England in the Fall!!!

gshannon1008
July 6th, 2016, 07:21 PM
You will love this new chapter in your life. I have been officially retired for 1 year and love everyday. Congratulations.

easyquilts
July 6th, 2016, 11:28 PM
Congratulations! You and your Mom are going to have so much fun....

Ginny B
July 7th, 2016, 12:41 AM
Congratulations! You and your mom will have some great quilting adventures I bet. And spending more time with the grandkids. How wonderful! I have been giving retirement more thought myself. I am at full retirement age but not sure I am actually ready. Although being home this week is making it look real inviting.

JCY
July 7th, 2016, 12:43 AM
I took my first quilting class soon after I retired in 2009. I was a nurse at our local hosp. for 18 yr. I have not missed it one bit! There were many changes ongoing about the time I retired. I'm glad I didn't have to adjust to all those changes. I'm still a nurse, but in a different way, since I'm caregiver for DH, who is in declining health. I've told him it's a good thing he's married to a nurse! The good Lord knew what He was doing when He brought us together. He tells people the only reason he's still alive is because of Jesus & me.

You will enjoy your retirement. Just look at all the quilting you'll get done!

stationarymom
July 7th, 2016, 01:07 AM
Congratulations!! I hope retirement is all you plan .It sounds like spending time with Mom and the Grands will be fun.

MRoy
July 7th, 2016, 08:34 AM
Congratulations! Retirement was a hard decision for me, but it's been 3 years now and I've not regretted it for a moment.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
July 7th, 2016, 09:01 AM
Congratulations on your decision. You won't regret it. I don't anyone who looks back and wishes they were working. TIME WILL Fly, and you will wonder how you got anything done while you were working. It is wonderful that you can enjoy quilting with your mom. Mine is almost 93 but she never shared my love for sewing. She is however my biggest cheerleader when I bring in a quilt to her residence. We go around and have to show everyone.

MayinJerset
July 7th, 2016, 10:24 AM
Good Wishes planning your retirement.

I began working while in high school with coop program, one week school, one week work, took about 10 years off when I had children so when I found out I was eligible for a small pension at 62 I jumped at the opportunity to retire and never regretted it and i sure that will be the same for you. You earned it , so enjoy the freedom.

WendyI
July 7th, 2016, 10:29 AM
Wow...I'm with Sally...If I wasn't so happy for you I would also be jealous! I have at least 15 more years! You sound so ready and I'm sure it's going to be so amazing to be closer to your family!! Congrats!!

MaggieSue
July 7th, 2016, 12:15 PM
I am past retirement age, but have not yet retired I love my job and my boss is 2nd to none. Just not ready to give it up yet, been thinking about it, and right now my plan is to retire a year from October. Need my knee replaced so will pursue that first.

snippet
July 8th, 2016, 12:17 AM
WOO HOO!! Congratulations on the decision to retire! And a big move too, that's a lot of change in your future. There's nothing like being closer to family!

lots2do
July 8th, 2016, 08:37 AM
Congratulations! I, too, retired a year ago. We also sold our home and moved two weeks after my last day. While these are both positive changes, they also require some patience and adjustments. Just be easy on yourself!