PDA

View Full Version : Thursday, Dec 8

Blondie
December 8th, 2011, 07:38 AM

Happy Day everyone!

I reckon little ones are really starting to get excited and doing their little countdown to Christmas. When my children were young and I was home schooling them, I would put out a homemade Christmas countdown type of calender. Kinda like an advent one. I made a little mouse to move each day. Each day a different child would get to move the mouse and get the goodie in the sack that day. I always enjoyed this particular time with the kids. Nothing "funner" than being a child full of anticipation at Christmas time.
We had other traditions and am wondering what type of traditions your house observes? I certainly enjoyed our Michele telling us briefly of the celebrations starting in Luxembourg last week.

Off to get ready for work - have a wonderful day everyone!

KiltedQuilter
December 8th, 2011, 07:56 AM
It certainly IS a fun time for year for little ones, can hardly wait until next year and baby is a bit bigger. At 14 the older one is WAY past all this "shenanigans" as he says... Bah humbug!
My friend's children are old enough to know what's going on though and that's lots of fun. I sent them a link to the website with the snowflake maker I posted in another section so they could hunt out the one I made for them! I asked them the other week if they were being good and told them how my hubby was only just on the phone to Santa the night before. My older boy was dangerously close to being on the "naughty list" Santa had told him, they could quite believe this as they had seen him take a HUGE slice out of the cake, I had made for them coming, and thought it quite rude! LOL!

Well there are severe weather warnings for most of Scotland today because of WIND.... and boy it IS windy here! I am going to batten down the hatches and sitting here worrying until my menfolk are all home(school is closing early at lunchtime but hubby won't be home until about 9pm!). I don't really mind wind per se, it's just the damage wind does to things that bothers me(or the things flying about in the wind!) :icon_scared:

Have a good day everyone!

EDIT: just checked the weather website and it says and I quote "unprecedented for high wind"! and it's a RED weather code! even London expects gusts of up to 55MPH Rebeccas-sewing hope you're ok!

Divine Daisy
December 8th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Heather's birthday is December 21st so in order to make her day special we had many traditions. So many people gave her a joint BD/Chhristmas pressi which was sad for her. So once she had gone to bed the night before her day i used to put up the tree and decorate so that when she got up the house was special. I always made a fuss of her day and Christmas did not start until after her BD.

Another tradition was that they got their stocking at the bottom of their bed and in amongst the content there was alway always a torch. This was so that no matter what time they woke up they could open their stockings even if iit was n the dark lol. They werent allowed to come into me until 7AM. Even when they were tiny i taught them 7AM on the clock and they waited. I was never woken earlier!
Then we would get up and light the fire, make coffee and bacon sandwiches before opening gifts. We would each get one and open it, look and appeciate it and then we would get another. There was no 'diving in' in our house.

Lovely times and memories

KiltedQuilter
December 8th, 2011, 08:10 AM
^aww I LOVE the torch idea! how cute is that?!

Divine Daisy Hope Yorkshire is not crazy windy like here, and that all your wedding prep is going well(or done!)

Beakkmom
December 8th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Good morning ladies, a busy day ahead with work ~ and tonight is our guild Christmas party. Baking has begun at our house, DH is my 'quality control' man, he is up to job :) Santa (delivery service) left a very large parcel at our house yesteraday, DH ordered something for our granddaughter, who is not yet two - the package is huge!
Our family traditions have changed this year, our 3 DD have all left the nest. We homeschooled and had so much fun during Christmas time as we prepared to celebrate the season of our Savior's birth. Things have changed, but the emphasis is truly on Him as we give thanks for His many blessings.

Lin

Monique
December 8th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Good morning everyone. When my oldest was about three, he still had a soother. That year, we told him that Santa would bring him a train set if he gave Santa his soother. Well he did leave it on a plate with the cookies. And he did get that Disneyland train set. I still have the train set.

When the two boys were young, they hung their stockings on their door. Always made sure there was a toy in there so they wouldn't wake us up too early. That worked.

We held our seniors Christmas dinner last night to a packed house. They look forward to this so much. It is nice to see all their faces light up. Gives us a great feeling hosting it. The Lionettes have held this since 1972.

Today will be a sewing day.

Stay warm and safe. For our friends in the windy areas overseas, hang on tight.

meemeecyn
December 8th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Happy Thursday! It is neat to read of the different traditions. It's amazing that many of our childhood traditions carry on with our kids and then to their kids....like the one where we were allowed to open one present Christmas Eve....and it was ALWAYS the one with pajamas in it!!!! To this day, I still get comfort with that whole process as I watch my grandgirls doing the same.
Cynthia

Nena
December 8th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Hello and Happy Thursday to everyone----
We seemed to have traditions at our home when the kids where little, they changed somewhat since they are have grown into teenagers and adults. Some more very deep seated ones still remain---thank goodness for that. One nice change though is---my husband and I are not woken up so early in the morning anymore---8-9 seems to be when they wander in our room to get us up. Also----since they are a bit older--they help cook the big meal and clean up more.

Loonwatcher
December 8th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Good Morning,

I love hearing everyone's stories and traditions.

Daisy - Being a December girl myself I know the disappointment of getting "joint" gifts. As a child I hated December birthdays. Now I just have to make my wish list longer so DH and DS can pick for both events. I used to try to do a long list so they could pick and I'd still be surprised by which they chose. But my DH always tries to get everything on my wish list so now I purposely make it short so they have to come up with ideas themselves.

For Christmas we do one gift Christmas eve to quell the I-can't-waits! In the morning we do our stockings and then have a leisurely "chef Bob breakfast" followed by "doing the tree" (opening the rest of the presents). We do it one at a time too. They we go to my BIL where it's a large group and a free for all which I don't like so much. Especially this year since I made many of the gifts and I want to see them open them.

One year when DS was very young he snuck down stairs and openned all his presents then came up to rave about what Santa brought him. Needless to say I was very disappointed and I don't remember carrying on but my disappointment must have showed because DS never did it again and always tells that story.

What's your story?

cyndiofthevortex
December 8th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Hi everyone,

One tradition that we keep even though the kids have grown up is opening one gift on Christmas Eve. It used to be a stuffed animal or pajamas but I don't know what to give the kids this year! Maybe those pajama bottoms the kids wear all the time, or their own mug for hot chocolate. We also open one gift at a time Christmas day, interspersed with food and games and the present opening lasts all day long, a tradition from when I was growing up.

We've been trying to come up with a new tradition this year to make the day more special and we think we've found it. Our church is doing it's first ever Christmas dinner for those in the community who need a warm meal and someone to share it with. DSs #5,#4 and #2 will be joining DH and me and we're all excited about it.

I hope we have some snow to enjoy, too!

Cyndi

Sandy Navas
December 8th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Cyndi - good that I read your message last. I think through the years we've spent too much on commercial 'gotta have' gifts instead of realizing what the true meaning of Christmas is. I love the idea of serving a meal to those in need. This year we're trimming down things WAY DOWN . . . and it will be great. If you've read any of my messages you know that the girls are coming over and making presents for each other, and Mom and Dad. They are also doing things at home for Nana and Papa but haven't let is slip yet as to what they are doing . . . it's all a secret which has been so much fun to share with them. I love the way their minds work coming up with just the right present.

I don't know that we've ever had any true traditions in my family. Is that my old age mind failing me? When I was a child my Dad had a construction company and when the weather got bad he pulled us out of school and we went south for the winter. I remember gifts being pulled from the trunk of the car . . . sleeping on the floor one night in a drafty cabin somewhere along the way . . . but those weren't traditions. After marriage and having a child, we moved so many times that there wasn't time to settle into something that was recurring or traditional. Living overseas made Christmas difficult - I remember decorating a potted plant one year. Also remember the first time we were able to have a fake tree because some kind business man convinced the men in customs that those fake trees were really fake house plants - what happens when you live in a country that doesn't recognize Christ. But, we survived it all.

Now that our daughter is married with her own family we are watching the traditions grow there. She is Catholic and follows some very strict guides as they start celebrating on the 6th of December with a visit from St. Nick - who usually leaves them gold coins in their shoes if they have been good little girls. They all get new pajamas for Christmas, and every day until the big day there is something St. Nick leaves . . . never anything major - a pair of gloves, a new pair of socks, a candy cane . . . and they do their lighting of candles (and who knows, since I am not Catholic I don't know all that goes on in their home!). Gotta love it.

Okay, I'm off to fulfill some of my obligations of being a wife (cleaning, cooking, doing dishes, vacuuming . . . oh, do I have to do housework?). Catch you all later.

Here are my prayers for good health, wisdom, wealth, happiness, warmth, and cheer! Hugs!!

toggpine
December 8th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Morning!
We don't have a ton of traditions. We usually hunt our own Christmas tree from a local tree farm. We spend Christmas morning at Mom's. Somewhere along the way we make cookies, usually gingerbread, spritz, and sugar cookies. My husband isn't big fan of Christmas, so we don't go overboard on decorating.
We have severely cut back on Christmas this year. The budget just won't allow for much. We have all gotten tired of playing the present shuffle. So we are going to buy/make gifts only for the two little ones. The baby is a bit young to understand about Christmas, but he is going to need some clothes, as he's growing out of the current size. We will all get together for a nice breakfast Christmas morning and call it good. My guess is that Em will let us play with some of her toys!
I am thinking about trying something new. I want to make everyone a new stocking. Then we put them all into a bag and pull one out. You have the whole year to fill it up with little things you think the person would like/need. Then there is still the thrill of a gift, but not the huge expense. There are 7 of us adults so that shouldn't be too bad. What do you think?

Well today is morning errands after a shower, and then I have to dig out the stuffed animal patterns. We received our first birthday party invitation for the school year. My Funky Friends Factory stuffed animals are always a hit, and they aren't very hard.
I'll check in with you all later!
Cathy

bakermom
December 8th, 2011, 05:55 PM
a tradition we started with our children was toput theNativity up on the first Sunday of Advent. the manger was empty until Christmas Day when Baby Jesus would appear. The kids would start waking up early but they couldn't go downstairs until everyone was up. We would hear them whispering outside door, trying to get the youngest to knock and "wake " us up. Then they had to wait until Dad went down and was waiting with the camera to catch them all peeking down the steps.
we have always been careful on what we spent for gifts, they would get one thing from their wishlist from Santa. My kids shocked more than one Scrooge when asked what Christmas meant-thinking the kids would say "Santa" or "presents". They would always answer"Jesus' birthday". Yeah, i'm proud of that- it means we did something right!!

Blondie
December 8th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Hi Ladies
I have been enjoying reading others traditions.When we lived in California and then in Florida, we would have a military person or two invited to have dinner with us. A lot of service personnel can't get home for the holidays. We did this on Thanksgiving and Christmas. I can't tell you how rewarding and fun it was. One gal still stays in touch with me and she now has military occasionally for company!
One thing I did every year and still do is make a birthday cake for Jesus. I remember my daughter saying one year, when is Jesus ever going to show up to eat his cake? My middle son said, how do you know if he will like it? My oldest son said, Don't be silly, you little guys. Jesus lives in heaven and eats angel food cake. If he ever came here, he would have manners and eat what Mom gives him.
Gotta love how kids think!

SuziC
December 8th, 2011, 10:35 PM
I know it is late for this post. I could not get online today. Our tradition is that out tree never goes up until 2 weeks before the big day and all the Gkids get to do the decorating (i fix it when they go home) And no presents go under the tree until Christmas Eve so there is NO snooping! We always have Christmas Eve dinner together and eat before presents. I love the "wonder" of the holidays for the kids.

Granny Judy
December 9th, 2011, 02:41 AM
Late as usual and have been soo darn busy since T/giving. My "gotta make something for" list got so long that I didn't have time for much else.. I think I'm finally caught up..

My tradition/s is to make a Christmas ornament each year to "gift" fellow workers, I've been doing it since 1976. It's never very costly except for the time I spend.. This year it was door hangers with bells, greens and ribbons.

I don't know if I'll have time to "make" (rubber stamping) The Cards this year, but have my stamps set aside and just need to find the package of blank cards I stashed somewhere.

We open gifts after having a breakfast of sausage casserole,juice & hot coffee/cocoa. I used to leave out the extra cookies ..but don't have the extras anymore with grown children hanging out in the kitchen. We don't do the free for all, either.

The stockings are hung and awaiting the smallest of goodies I've been able to make or find.. I was surprised to find some people don't have stockings.. And I made a few to hand out this year.

Christmas eve is Egg Nog, sandwiches and Caroling music ( cd or radio).. Last minute gift wrapping and a little Wine to relax everyone is rather nice too....

Sandy Navas
December 9th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Late as usual and have been soo darn busy since T/giving. My "gotta make something for" list got so long that I didn't have time for much else.. I think I'm finally caught up..

My tradition/s is to make a Christmas ornament each year to "gift" fellow workers, I've been doing it since 1976. It's never very costly except for the time I spend.. This year it was door hangers with bells, greens and ribbons.

I don't know if I'll have time to "make" (rubber stamping) The Cards this year, but have my stamps set aside and just need to find the package of blank cards I stashed somewhere.

We open gifts after having a breakfast of sausage casserole,juice & hot coffee/cocoa. I used to leave out the extra cookies ..but don't have the extras anymore with grown children hanging out in the kitchen. We don't do the free for all, either.

The stockings are hung and awaiting the smallest of goodies I've been able to make or find.. I was surprised to find some people don't have stockings.. And I made a few to hand out this year.

Christmas eve is Egg Nog, sandwiches and Caroling music ( cd or radio).. Last minute gift wrapping and a little Wine to relax everyone is rather nice too....

I'm going to Judy's house for Christmas!