PDA

View Full Version : Tip for using compression hose after surgery

mamo69
July 1st, 2016, 12:38 AM
Many of you have had to help someone put the compression hose on someone who is recovering from surgery. To say this is hard to do is not saying enough!
I want to share what my husbands therapist shared with us and Oh My-- so much easier now
Cur the feet out of the hose (at the ankle). Then if needed to make them smooth-- use "kitchen plastic gloves"
My husband now says this even makes the hose more comfortable to wear.
You may want to clear this "adjustment" with your doctor first.
Lucky for my husband, he is now down to wearing only on the leg having the knee replacement.
(has been a very stressful 2 weeks for me!!!)

tsladaritz
July 1st, 2016, 01:46 PM
Good tip. I have helped someone and they are a beast!

Midge
July 1st, 2016, 03:00 PM
I'm not so sure that's a good idea. The purpose of compression hose is to apply even pressure to prevent venous stasis - the blood/lymph return pooling in the legs. Especially for anyone with diabetes, you want to avoid pressure points or uneven pressure. I would not advocate any alteration of pressure hose that creates a "bottleneck" at the ankle. You could restrict blood flow to the feet which is already an issue in diabetes, or you could create an area where blood flow is slowed and therefore more likely to clot.

Put the hose on when your hubby is lying flat in bed. Roll them down and smooth over the feet first, giving them a tug to give more room in the toes. Then rollup and smooth on both sides simultaneously. They should always be put on before arising.

Any of the other nurses here have a different opinion?

GaGa
July 1st, 2016, 03:14 PM
My husband is currently recovering from hip replacement. He's already had a knee and the other hip replaced and I HATE putting on those hose on him. Gloves with grippers help as does putting baby powder on the legs but the very best is a Sock Aid. I just start the hose on it and he can pull it up over the ankles - which is the hardest part. I ordered it from Amazon. https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81lYKl9yzbL._SX522_.jpg

Jean Marie
July 1st, 2016, 05:43 PM
Nope Midge, you covered it well and I agree with you about about not cutting the feet off. Just want to add that "asking the Dr", isn't the best option as even though you may think that they are the "experts" on all, sadly they are not. ( the Dr may think so too ! Lol ) The best person to ask would be a nurse or a physical therapist.

Another nurse !

mamo69
July 1st, 2016, 11:36 PM
It was actually his PT that gave this hint to us and when we told our neighbor , who is a RN she said what a great hint.
For my husband it has been given the green light but, I know there may be some reasons this may not be in the best interest of the person having to wear them

Granny Judy
July 2nd, 2016, 12:02 AM
As a retired Nurse, I agree with Midge and Jean Marie.. baby powder helps. I've done my share of putting on compression hose many times.. It is hard!! and wears you out!!