PDA

View Full Version : Another bank question

Hulamoon
June 30th, 2016, 11:35 PM
I set up auto payments from my new tenants and got the first payment today. But I was charged a $13 deposit fee. It's to late to call the bank to ask...is my bank charging me or theirs? That's close to $170 a year!

Never mind, it was mine. What a rip off. I'm going to have it sent to me. I'll get the hang of this one of these days.

Kgrammiecaz
July 1st, 2016, 12:40 AM
Banks are finding more and more ways to charge us.

My online rent payment now cost me 1.75. Not my bank, the complex's bank. Crazy. They would prefer I drop off a check whick they have to handle qnd get it deposited which would then cost me nothing additional. Which I just may start doing.

MayinJerset
July 1st, 2016, 07:33 AM
Banks are always looking for ways to charge its customers. Just got a notice from my bank that they may close my checking account at any time. What? How can i write checks when there is a chance my account will be closed? Will stop by today to find out what this means?

KarenC
July 1st, 2016, 08:26 AM
Yep, I've had banks that charged for using a teller.

grammaterry
July 1st, 2016, 10:11 AM
Time to rise up! Everytime I've had a bank add a new fee, I march right in and take out my money. One time, I went in and I had $10K and wasn't sure what to do with it. Talked to the banker and he suggested I just park it in a money market acct until I decided. This was 20 yrs ago. The beginning. We had banked there for 30 yrs. So, I go to open the money market acct and they said the old one was still there even though it was empty and I could just reactivate it. So we did. That was a Thursday. On Saturday, I got a notice that they were charging $10 because I had an open acct with no minimum in it. On Monday I went to the bank and inquired. They said it was because the acct was activated and the deposit didn't get posted until Friday. They were sorry. I said, not too sorry...Just write me a check for $9990 and i'll be on my way. Oh they didn't want me to take the money away and they said they would make it right. Too late...I told them that if they couldn't post a deposit at the time of opening an acct then I would find some one more competent. I cashed out all my IRA's and Sep accts and my checking acct and I went to a different bank. That lasted about 10 yrs and I did it all over again when they wanted to charge me for depositing coins. Anyway...we must let them know that $10 is important and if they take it from us, we take our business.
There was a restaurant in our town that was charging $1 for go boxes. They didn't last long either. Sometimes there are just costs to doing business.

Carlie Wolf
July 1st, 2016, 10:39 AM
I'm still in the process of switching my bank to a credit union. I'm on a fixed income and get two checks that I have direct deposited, social security being one. One got switched over last month and the other should be switched over early July. (Keeping my fingers crossed on that). I got tired of my old bank switching their fees on my senior account. First it was if you direct deposit they didn't charge a maintenance fee....of course that has since changed. I don't pay a maintenance fee at the credit union, nor do I pay for my checks. The old bank also allowed a one time payee access to my account a second time and then I had to fight with them about bank fees with that and of course nothing is ever their fault. Of course while they get their money immediately I then have to wait a week before it is recredited to my account. At the end of the month I'm lucky if I have enough to buy a tissue so that is major major for me. I noticed two months ago that suddenly not only am I having a maintenance fee taken out of my checking account but also now my meager savings account. Just watch...when I do go in next week to totally end my accounts there they will probably charge me a "closing fee" or something LOL I am SO sick of banks. It's apparently no longer our money.

Pandabear
July 1st, 2016, 06:43 PM
Last year (maybe more) my bank decided to charge. $3.00 fee for sending me a photo copied page of the checks I wrote. This page was sent in the same envelope as my bank statement. When I protested this fee I was told I could just download that one page for my own records. I hung up, cursed a bit (quite a bit. I was angry) then switched my statements to online. Now I download everything at my leisure. I figure if they want $3 for one page, what will they charge if they ever decide to put a fee in place for mailing an entire statement.

Hulamoon
July 1st, 2016, 08:21 PM
I just noticed that $3 too. I called them to go paperless today. And called my tenant to have it sent to me. $13 is crazy.

shirleyknot
July 1st, 2016, 08:52 PM
Banks are always looking for ways to charge its customers. Just got a notice from my bank that they may close my checking account at any time. What? How can i write checks when there is a chance my account will be closed? Will stop by today to find out what this means?
If the note was email, its very likely someone trying to scam you.

toggpine
July 2nd, 2016, 12:01 AM
I switched to a credit union too. The bank began charging me fees and there are some months I don't make enough money to cover the fees.
When I went in to close out the account, they were all "Oh, there are ways to avoid the fees." Yeah, maybe you should have just left well enough alone.
Now my "fee" is a savings account with a $25 minimum balance. I have free checks, and can talk to a teller or manager anytime with out a fee.

jjkaiser
July 2nd, 2016, 03:09 AM
Grrr! My bank just charged me $10 for closing a savings account when what I actually did was combine two savings accounts into one. About ten years ago I had a credit card that was used to cover overdrafts on my checking. The bank card company was sold to another bank card company which converted my MC into a VISA. The new VISA did not have overdraft protection as an option. The local bank that I have used for 20+ years said the type of savings account I then had could not be used for OD protection so I had to open a second savings account just for that. So when I finally asked about converting them into one account that was savings and OD protection, the bank manager was surprised, said he had never heard of this being an issue and of course I could just go with one savings account instead. Well stupid me! I didn't even think to ask if I would be charged a fee for it!!!

MayinJerset
July 2nd, 2016, 08:58 AM
If the note was email, its very likely someone trying to scam you.

No, the notice about closing accounts was printed on my latest checking account statement. Stopped at the bank yesterday afternoon and teller and bank officer said they never heard anything about this and to ignore it.

Carlie Wolf
July 2nd, 2016, 09:28 AM
I switched to a credit union too. The bank began charging me fees and there are some months I don't make enough money to cover the fees.
When I went in to close out the account, they were all "Oh, there are ways to avoid the fees." Yeah, maybe you should have just left well enough alone.
Now my "fee" is a savings account with a $25 minimum balance. I have free checks, and can talk to a teller or manager anytime with out a fee.

Oh yeah, I love that one too "Oh, there are ways to avoid the fees." Then two months later they change it. They've been doing that for a few years now and I'm sick of that too LOL

Carlie Wolf
July 2nd, 2016, 09:32 AM
Grrr! My bank just charged me $10 for closing a savings account when what I actually did was combine two savings accounts into one. About ten years ago I had a credit card that was used to cover overdrafts on my checking. The bank card company was sold to another bank card company which converted my MC into a VISA. The new VISA did not have overdraft protection as an option. The local bank that I have used for 20+ years said the type of savings account I then had could not be used for OD protection so I had to open a second savings account just for that. So when I finally asked about converting them into one account that was savings and OD protection, the bank manager was surprised, said he had never heard of this being an issue and of course I could just go with one savings account instead. Well stupid me! I didn't even think to ask if I would be charged a fee for it!!!

You're kidding me???!!! They actually DID change you $10 to close an account??? I thought I was just being funny! So what do they do if you just write a check to bring your account to $1 and then tear up your cards/checks and never use them again and ride off into the sunset?

Altairss
July 2nd, 2016, 11:20 AM
That is why we switched to a credit union, I get free checks and lots of other niceties and have never been charged any fees for weird stuff such as closing accounts, the only minimum is 5.00 in each account that's it. My friend is constantly arguing with her bank and I keep asking her why she stays she has options.

cv quilter
July 2nd, 2016, 11:40 AM
Credit Union Member here! So far, so good. Have been a member for many years.

KarenC
July 2nd, 2016, 11:47 AM
You're kidding me???!!! They actually DID change you $10 to close an account??? I thought I was just being funny! So what do they do if you just write a check to bring your account to $1 and then tear up your cards/checks and never use them again and ride off into the sunset?
I had this happen, but when I went into the bank, they were able to fix it for me. $10 was a small fee for them to keep the rest of my business.

WendyI
July 5th, 2016, 11:24 AM
When I went in to close out the account, they were all "Oh, there are ways to avoid the fees."

That would have made me so mad!! If there is a way to avoid fees then WHY have them in the first place?! This is so deceitful and sneaky! What happened to honest in business!? Like if you don't ask, you pay! Last month I paid $60 in fees! It's ridiculous! And when they screw up how come we don't get to "fee" them!? GRRRRRRRR I despise banks! Looks like I should check out a credit union also!

Tippysmom
July 5th, 2016, 02:43 PM
Almost my whole career was in banking and after the 80s it all changed. When I first started out, it was a pretty fun job. Not anymore; now it's all about cross-selling and getting the customer to sign up for more and more accounts. When I was a teller I HATED selling. I wasn't good at it and I didn't think folks should have to listen to a sales pitch every time they walked in the bank.
And, usually when I mentioned a fee, that would end the conversation right then.
The worst scenario at one bank was a CONTEST every quarter to see which branch in an area could sell more credit cards than the others. This was done after hours. We stayed fron 4-7:00 to cold call a list of customers given to us as potential creditworthy people. We all HATED it. Well, I say most, because there were a few people who thrived on this kind of activity.
The "prize" for this waste of time was...pizza on Friday night or some such nonsense. I want to go home on Friday night, and if I want pizza I will get my own. Humbug on banks! Don't ever work for one, you will never get rich counting other people's money!

songbird857
July 5th, 2016, 03:16 PM
I actually like my bank, and have had no major issues with them. Years ago (15??) I opened a free for life checking and savings. It's still free, even though they don't offer a free account anymore! When I had an overdraft recently (my fault because I forgot about an automatic payment that was coming out), they forgave one of the two overdraft fees. Good customer service considering it was really my fault.

Hulamoon
July 5th, 2016, 03:39 PM
Mine sent me a letter that said that accounts that aren't use will be charged a fee. I called and after a little conversation I said so you mean if I just transfer $1 from one account to another that's enough? Yes. I said well isn't that more of a waste and time of money, what's the point? She didn't have an answer, which isn't her fault, but really, how stupid.

songbird857
July 6th, 2016, 07:30 AM
Mine sent me a letter that said that accounts that aren't use will be charged a fee. I called and after a little conversation I said so you mean if I just transfer $1 from one account to another that's enough? Yes. I said well isn't that more of a waste and time of money, what's the point? She didn't have an answer, which isn't her fault, but really, how stupid.

LOL... just keep transferring the same $1 back and forth every month ;)

Hulamoon
July 6th, 2016, 11:38 AM
LOL... just keep transferring the same $1 back and forth every month ;)

I'll add it to my plant watering day. lol

quiltingtrish
July 6th, 2016, 12:41 PM
I will have to check in to see if they have free checks at my credit union, never heard of it or even bothered to check. That will save me some money the next time I need some.
What irritated me at the normal bank was when they asked me to update my records with them. They wanted to know my hobbies, my political preference, my church, etc. etc. I told them none of that was their business and if it was required to keep my account there I would take my money elsewhere. I also forewarned my kids and they said the same thing.

Hulamoon
July 6th, 2016, 12:49 PM
I will have to check in to see if they have free checks at my credit union, never heard of it or even bothered to check. That will save me some money the next time I need some.
What irritated me at the normal bank was when they asked me to update my records with them. They wanted to know my hobbies, my political preference, my church, etc. etc. I told them none of that was their business and if it was required to keep my account there I would take my money elsewhere. I also forewarned my kids and they said the same thing.

They are only free if you order the plain ones. I used to to order picture ones when it was common to write checks at the market. It seems like you have to apologize using them now. lol

quiltingtrish
July 6th, 2016, 04:43 PM
I don't care if they have photos on them, sure, they are pretty and cute, but when it comes to checks - plain is fine with me. haha.

KarenC
July 6th, 2016, 06:29 PM
I only write checks for two things these days. The water bill and the lawn care guy. Would pay them electronically, but they charge a fee to do that, so now I just pay them a deposit (my estimate of 3 mos.) and then write another check in 3 months. Heck, even the church does electronic payments now. I never thought I'd do this, but it makes life so easy.