PDA

View Full Version : Privacy Issues for Those Who Use a Smart Phone App to Manage Diabetes

JCY
June 30th, 2016, 12:46 PM
I know there are several people on the Forum who have diabetes. I do not have a Smart Phone, but some of you may use an app. This short warning was in the latest issue of the Diabetes Forecast magazine:

"If you use a smartphone app to manage your diabetes, you might want to check whether it protects your privacy. In analyzing diabetes apps, researchers found that a whopping 81 per cent didn't spell out any privacy policies. And simply having such a policy doesn't mean that the app will keep your data private. Most of the 41 apps with available privacy policies collected users' data--such as insulin doses, blood glucose levels, and even your GPS locations--and half shared the information with third parities, such as advertisers. Only four policies said the company would ask users for permission before sharing the information. Source: The Journal of the American Medical Association, published online March 8, 2016."

So ~ Users Beware!

WendyI
June 30th, 2016, 01:39 PM
Thanks for sharing this. I'm not all that fussed about privacy as long as it's not personal info...but if the app is going to be full of ads then I likely wouldn't use it anyway. My glucometer comes with a chord (which I have to request be sent to me for some weird reason) that allows me to track on my own computer, so that is what I will likely use.

Or are you referring to carb counting apps? I don't have any apps yet but was going to ask you guys about them today!

JCY
June 30th, 2016, 06:03 PM
Nothing was mentioned in the article about carb counting. It was about tracking your glucose numbers, meds, etc.