PDA

View Full Version : Monday, you have come too soon

Monique
June 27th, 2016, 07:40 AM
UGH!! It is hot, humid and sticky this morning. It was a beautiful hot sunny weekend.

I awoke to a sore neck, pulled a muscle I guess. It might be a challenge today turning my head.

I kept myself busy over the weekend with Les gone. I did get a little sewing in. Yesterday I attended a cemetery service at a little church, deep in the woods, sitting on a hill. It is only open once a year. Les' forefathers built this church and there are a few Atkinsons buried there. One in particular, Gregory Atkinson, Les' great grandfather and for whom my Gregory is named after. I once took Greg & Phil up there, Greg was bout 6 or so and could read. A little voice from afar shouts "Here I am Mommy". Something that will stay with me forever. A beautiful lunch was served afterwards.

Dinner with friends on Friday and garage sales with another friend on Saturday, what more could a girl want.

I work until Thursday this week as Friday is Canada Day and a holiday. I will be able to quilt at this one as it is a little post office and 10 minutes from home to boot.

I hope you all had a wonderful and safe weekend. Have yourselves a grand day today.

DeniseSm
June 27th, 2016, 07:49 AM
Love the title of your post. This week end went way to fast.

KarenC
June 27th, 2016, 07:59 AM
I agree that the weekend went too fast. Well at least next weekend is 3 days for me. This past one was sorta disorganized for me. Jury duty on Friday, visiting a good friend, started WW again, and some piec I ng and ripping. Don'the know why it took me 8 rows before I realized that I was off centered. I probably could have left it, but it would have just bugged me. Anyway things are ready to be put back together now. We'll see how much energy I have after work. Everyone have a great day!

Ginny B
June 27th, 2016, 08:03 AM
Good morning. Yup Monday sure does show up fast. Sounds like you had a great weekend Monique. Mine was very nice. We grabbed sandwiches and headed down to the beach Friday after work. It was a great way to start off the weekend. Saturday I headed into Brooklyn where my sister and two of my sons and I continued to empty out the house there. Afterwards, we had a nice dinner and my sis and I headed home. Yesterday dh and I headed back to the beach early and enjoyed the peaceful sounds of the surf. We sat and relaxed, read a bit, dozed occasionally, chatted and then headed home in the early afternoon, had an early dinner and then enjoyed sitting outside on our porch. A great way to end the weekend.

And now it's on to the week. It will be a busy day at work. Looking forward to our 4th of July holiday next Monday that will lead right into our weeks vacation. We are not going anywhere but will probably hit the beach at least once and I will probably head into Brooklyn for one of the days also.

But for now it's time to get this week started. Have a great day everyone.

Lyndaj
June 27th, 2016, 08:59 AM
Happy Monday everyone. As Monique said, Friday is a holiday for us in Canada, which will be nice to have DH home.

DH went to karate camp on the weekend and my Java did pretty good considering. He whined on Friday night when he realized it was time for bed and daddy hadn't come home. After that, he was fine.

I got absolutely nothing done on the weekend. I really have sewed myself out, and I'm just not motivated. I didn't get to my sewing class on Commercial Patterns either. Yesterday was WAY too hot. I am asthmatic and having to use public transit to get into the big city of Toronto, etc., I just baled. That sucks.

At any rate, have a great day folks.

peggiep
June 27th, 2016, 09:14 AM
Morning all
We had a downpour this morning...just at the time Kona, the dog, wanted to go out. We were soaked to the skin by the time we came back in, but the rain is needed desparately. Now it is a lot cooler than it had been over the weekend. Our weekend was lovely --- we took the 3 DGD's to their soccer game early Sat. morning and then enjoyed a lovely dinner at a friend's in the evening. Yesterday, was very quiet, but pleasant. Since it was so warm, we stayed in, and I quilted while we watched the baseball game, then we had a bbq.

Today is my FIL's funeral so it will be a difficult one. The family is doing well, but the finality of the funeral will be tough for everyone.

Hope everyone enjoys their day!

songbird857
June 27th, 2016, 09:19 AM
Good morning all!
We had a short vacay last week, very relaxing at our timeshare. The rear balcony on our unit overlooked the pool/mini golf/basketball court area. I loved sitting out there people watching with the dog, drinking coffee, and strumming on my ukulele... seriously :)
We brought Ella to the lake, it's the first time she has been near a body of water like that. We kept her on a longer leash, and she scampered in the water a bit - she was so tired by the time we left, she kept nodding off in the car like a toddler fighting sleep when they're exhausted ;)
I've got laundry to catch up on, possibly a workout at the gym, music to put together, etc.... I also found a food tracker (similar to weight watchers, but FREE) on Livestrong.com. The app is very cool, with options for meal plans for all types of eaters (omnivore, vegan, etc...) Trying to get back on track after becoming extremely lazy about it! Wendy... they have a diabetic option for tracking, that may help you greatly, as they have recipes too!!

Have a great day all :)

Bubby
June 27th, 2016, 09:38 AM
Morning Everyone,

Yes, the weekend flew by. Yesterday I mowed the front and back and Jeff did the weed wacking. It was unbelievably hot and humid. Later in the day we got a monster storm that bent out metal flag pole in half. Now that's some bad wind.

Monique, it sounds like you had a great weekend. I always enjoy the time when Jeff takes a short hunting trip.

As soon as Jeff left for work I hosed off the front porch. Still dealing with the millipedes. As soon as the porch dries I will put down a new layer of Sevin Dust. I'm fairly tired of this new chore I have to deal with every day.

I finished making the blocks for the Flutterby quilt. Now to lay them out and get them put together.

Wishing everyone a peaceful Monday....hugs to those who have lost loved ones.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
June 27th, 2016, 10:38 AM
Busy weekend for sure. And yup we had a downpour here too this morning. I t must be the weather, my neck and shoulder are killing me also. Maybe it was the 2 hours of heavy gardening or quilting? We enjoyed a vist to Carp, Ont on Sunday with friends. It was the 1st Herbfest. There was an interesting speaker about medicinal uses. I hope it stays yucky for a few days so I continue working on my Tula Pink quilt. It is way more colourful and wild than my usual, but I have figured a way to neutralize it slightly. Have a good day.

URIBARRI-MAYOR
June 27th, 2016, 12:10 PM
Hello everybody in the forum I can not say good morning because they are already five in the afternoon, but since I´m on vacation, morning´ve been on the beach and after eating my family is doing a nap to be later by the night and I take the opportunity to watch the news on the forum and put a few words so I´m glad you all had a weekend cheerful and happy. Hoping to be morning again forum command smiles, prayers and many greetings

JCY
June 27th, 2016, 12:15 PM
Monday morning greetings! It promises to be a hot day here, too. It's definitely summer time here in Colo. It was 96 yest. We've had several days of 100 or >, & most days have been in the 90's. I had planned to get out in the yard early this a.m., but with laundry, etc. I'm later than planned. Wanted to beat the heat -- also today is garbage pick-up, so I'm hoping I can get some weeds pulled & perennials cut back before the truck comes by. I've set the timer for 30 min. for computer time. I need to let my breakfast settle (reflux) before I go out & start bending over.

I had a productive wk.-end with the 2 panel baby quilts on which I'm working. Both are pin & machine basted. I finished the FMQ on one yest. & got the binding sewn on one side. The FMQ took a little longer, since it's "custom", quilting around the pattern of the quilt instead of an easy overall pattern. It means more starts & stops, but definitely looks better, IMO. I'll post pics when they're done.

I finally got the label sewed on the COC quilt, washed & dried it. I hope to get it mailed to Blondie this week.

I hope everyone has a good week.

rebeccas-sewing
June 27th, 2016, 12:26 PM
It's hot in Orange County but at least we don't have the humidity that some of you have. Been dealing with a friend who had a double mastectomy. She is not doing well. I spent the night at her house last night to give support to her oldest daughter who is here at the moment. Let's just say the patient is a mess. One complaint after another, poor dear. The catheter is uncomfortable. The drainage tubes hurt. Breathing is difficult. Headaches, anxiety, now we're worried about a cough she's developed. Praying it isn't developing into pneumonia. Good grief. As you can imagine my time over there is quite stressful. I spent the night with them last night. Today, her middle daughter arrives so the two sisters will handle things for the next couple of days. I'm sure I'll be in and out and unable to concentrate on much of anything else. I took a quilt over there to hand sew binding but the lighting is terrible in her living room and focusing on anything other than her was difficult. The drugs she's taking for pain and anxiety make her dopey and often she has a very vacant look on her face. I've never dealth with anything like this before so it's been a challenge. I know one thing for sure. I could never be a nurse.

MayinJerset
June 27th, 2016, 12:30 PM
Last Monday of the month and 4th of July weekend coming up -- where has the time gone?

My sisters were here yesterday and helped me organize my sewing stash - sorted out almost everything and repacked and labeled the plastic totes with what I'm keeping and designated where or who the rest go to. Have a big plastic tote with my UFO's, each one with it's fabrics wrapped around them. Now I have to remember why I was making the quilts in the first place. Found a lovely roll up travel sewing kit I began years ago. Besides the trims there are a little scissors, spools of threads, packs of needles, etc. so I would like to finish it as it would make a nice gift for a quilter friend. We enjoyed a nice lunch and had a big gab fest. Too bad we live over an hour from each other or we'd get together more often. They also have young grandkids that they spent lots of time with, jusr like DH and I did when our grandskids were young.. Carol and Patti are my younger sisters by 14 & 16 years, they were quite young when I married and left Brooklyn but we really bonded in later years.

WendyI
June 27th, 2016, 01:35 PM
Hi everyone...a bit late today. I'm off on Mondays so normally don't make it in here. I am getting my hair done which is nice since my air conditioning is not working and it's nice and cool in the salon. It was 33 with the humidex yesterday and I really don't handle the heat all that well so was cranky.

Liam is off on his school trip to Ottawa for 3 days so I will be alone. I miss him already!

Rebecca so sorry about your friend. Lets hope every new day brings her closer to feeling better. She is lucky to have such a good friend.

Sending love and hugs to all who need them! Xoxox

toggpine
June 27th, 2016, 02:39 PM
We kind of took Sunday afternoon off. It has been a crazy week with all of the running back and forth to the hospital. Thankfully our story is having a happier ending than most.
We were on our way out for the evening when we met the ER doctor who treated Dad the first night. He stopped and seemed to do a double-take. (My sister and I usually devolve into jokes, bad puns, and questionable humor to relive stress.) He stopped and asked "You two are still here?" We we said yes that they were getting ready move Dad to 3 West from ICU. He was amazed and a bit apologetic. He said that he would not have expected that outcome, and he was sorry that he had offered his condolences to Mom. No apologies necessary, as we didn't expect it either. We were just happy Dad decided to not give up yet. He said that is sometimes the strongest medicine.

With the weather being so warm, we opted to tie dye a bunch of shirts and other things we had stocked up. I ordered 4 new colors, and we had fun working with those. I over dyed some not too pretty quilting cottons. They had been in that batch of fabric from Arizona and had some sun bleaching. With the tub dye method, they come out looking marbled so the damage is hidden and the fabric is still useable. (I did check for deterioration first.) The other piece was a solid icky pale grey. I used the black cherry color to turn it a pretty dusty plum. Now it will make a great backing at least.
If you are ever up for an an adventure, order some dyes and supplies from Dharma Trading company and try this. I suggest an old shower curtain liner to protect your outdoor surfaces and a box of gloves. I have had fun using the white on white prints. The white ink resists the dyes and really stands out. You can go light or dark depending on what result you want. I have made several backings this way.
This afternoon we will reveal the true colors, as the colors set better if you leave them for 24 hours before rinsing. It's better if they stay a bit damp, so I have a pile of grocery bags lined up in my back yard to "bake". I'll take some photos and see if I can post them tonight.
I hope you all have a good Monday!
Hugs, Cathy

Navy Wife
June 27th, 2016, 05:21 PM
We have had a week of hot, humid, and hazy weather. I hate summer! I go out as little as possible and only go to places with A/C! I guess it's old age since I always loved the summers in south GA! Of course, I was a kid then. Finally we may be getting a little thunder storm, at least the cat just took off running for her safe place. We are just a couple of inches down for the year, but we had a lot of rain this spring, so we were ahead. I've never understood how everything can be so dry, and the humidity is at 90%. Oh, pardon me, that is FL. We just get to 50% and everything is awful!

I hope you will join east TN in praying for Pat Summitt. She is not doing well, and family and friends have gathered around. Her "girls" as she called them are coming in also. I didn't realize that early onset dementia caused the body to fail along with the mind. It will be a sad day in Knoxville when she passes.

It's pouring rain! I need to get out and walk in it, as soon as the lightning stops!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
June 29th, 2016, 11:03 AM
Enjoy your vacation.