PDA

View Full Version : Have you taken a DNA test?

Hulamoon
June 26th, 2016, 12:57 AM
I'm pretty positive I'm half Scottish /Norwegian, but since my family is all gone I kind of wonder. Did you ever get curious to do one?

bubba
June 26th, 2016, 01:09 AM
My husbands aunt, the one who just passed away, had one done. She didn't want for anything and her kids got it for her one year for Christmas. Well, I came home from work one day and as I park in the garage, MM walked over as I got out of the car and asked me something about if I liked black people or not.

I found this to be quite odd, then he explained the DNA test to me and told me the results. His moms generation all were 15% black. Now MM's grandpa, who was dead before I ever met MM, was very prejudiced of black people. Nobody knew why and they got thinking that this was probably why. There is a picture from a couple generations before him of three people. Please don't think I'm being rude, but MM and his generation always called them the monkey people....they looked like actors from Planet of the Apes!!! Here they are......132461

This means MM is 7.5% black and he found it absolutely hysterical! He is half Hispanic and the remainder is mutt.

We found it all very interesting.

kaydee
June 26th, 2016, 01:39 AM
I just recently did the AncestryDNA test. I got the results back a few days ago, but I've been too busy with wedding preparations to look seriously at the results. I'm looking forward to digging into it when I get back.

stationarymom
June 26th, 2016, 01:49 AM
I've considered it but haven't done one yet.My Mother didn't know what her background is,from either of her parents.I don't know if it's just something that they never talked about or what.

jjkaiser
June 26th, 2016, 01:56 AM
Not me but a friend's daughter did a few months ago. She is in college and got very involved in the black lives matter thing. (My friend thinks her dd was hoping she was part black. She wasn't.) But the strange thing is my GF says her gr gr grandfather was mostly American Indian lived on the rez in Michigan's U.P. but the DNA showed no American Indian. So she was a little concerned that the test got mixed up with someone else or was not very accurate.

Hulamoon
June 26th, 2016, 02:30 AM
The only story I can share is that my stepdd is Mexican on her moms side and Chinese, Japanese on her dads side. It turns out that her mom is part American Indian (I'm not sure of of the %). She is enough to get checks from the government.

just4me
June 26th, 2016, 02:54 AM
Yep, I've done one over here in Australia. We have traced both sides of my family back to an English convict transported out here at the age of 16, and on the other side...Welsh miners. Imagine my surprise when the DNA results showed I was 47% French/German/Austrian and only about 23% good old English/Welsh! Methinks there was some travelling between England and Europe at some stage...or perhaps I need to have a chat with my mother!!! LOL! Fascinating stuff eh?

Hulamoon
June 26th, 2016, 02:59 AM
Yep, I've done one over here in Australia. We have traced both sides of my family back to an English convict transported out here at the age of 16, and on the other side...Welsh miners. Imagine my surprise when the DNA results showed I was 47% French/German/Austrian and only about 23% good old English/Welsh! Methinks there was some travelling between England and Europe at some stage...or perhaps I need to have a chat with my mother!!! LOL! Fascinating stuff eh?

Well that story makes me want to do it! lol

just4me
June 26th, 2016, 03:25 AM
Interestingly, American DNA wasn't included in my test here.... my cousin who organised it all and is soooooo super into geneaology said something about it not being available to people who aren't directly linked to America or some such. So about 16% (or thereabouts) of me is a mystery. That makes me alluring doesn't it? Or mysterious, or maybe even a bit intriguing? Or maybe just plain mongrel? LOL!!

peepers613
June 26th, 2016, 08:25 AM
I haven't tested my DNA, but I have had my dog's DNA tested. Seriously! The results are to 5%. She's Lab, Brittany, Springer, Chinook, Kelpie, Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, Afghan Hound, and Jindo. She looks like a mini Yellow Lab, has a Brittany head, and herds other dogs and nips at their ankles like a Kelpie.

shirleyknot
June 26th, 2016, 09:05 AM
I haven't, but all of my horses have.

Snip Snip
June 26th, 2016, 09:16 AM
My sister had their dog done: a pound puppy that looks like a hound/lab mix. They found out he was mostly Pomeranian, which blew their mind.

MayinJerset
June 26th, 2016, 10:38 AM
Very interesting results for some, Haven't had it done but since DH's family is from Ireland and Lithuania and mine from Italy who knows how many soldiers and sailors from other countries passed through their areas over the years I wouldn't be surprised of the results.

Jean Sewing Machine
June 26th, 2016, 11:24 AM
My brother took it, showed very little in unexpected results.

tsladaritz
June 26th, 2016, 11:28 AM
No. I won't do it. I am one of those paranoid few who think we are tracked enough with everything. They don't need my dna too. LOL
But seriously I already know more than enough about my heritage and dh's. He has Indian and European ancestors. He remembers visiting them as a child. I have European ancestors and blame several of my traits and behavior on this. LOL My sil, in laws and parents traveled at different times and saw some of the original homeland places. His dad even talked to old ancestors still living in the original area his grandparents came from. My family goes way back to bringing people over in ships thanks to some cousins and their passion for research. His family is not as hard to trace since they didn't move much.

rebeccas-sewing
June 26th, 2016, 12:03 PM
Is it expensive?

Amarillo19
June 26th, 2016, 12:52 PM
I've had both the Ancestry DNA and 123 and Me DNA done. The results were interesting, some not what I expected but some that I mostly knew. I'm not sure if it was worth the money. The Ancestry was $99 and 123 and Me $199.

Hulamoon
June 26th, 2016, 12:56 PM
I've had both the Ancestry DNA and 123 and Me DNA done. The results were interesting, some not what I expected but some that I mostly knew. I'm not sure if it was worth the money. The Ancestry was $99 and 123 and Me $199.

How different were the outcomes?

Midge
June 26th, 2016, 01:10 PM
I haven't done it. I did my genealogical research the old fashioned way, through days and weeks of library research. On my mother's side I know my ancestry back to the 1300s. On my dad's side only back to the 1700s. It's enough for me, and an interesting hobby.

Angela J
June 26th, 2016, 03:54 PM
I have researched my ancestry on ancestry.com for over a year. A strange thing is that often the hints would take me to a Caucasian person with common ancestor name. I would always ignore those hints. I am African American. I recently had my DNA done for the second time now that more information is available and who pops up first in my matches. The family I kept ignoring. The information is coming in gradually as more and more people are getting tested. My mom is the oldest living relative and she had never heard of this family. But things did go on further back than her lifeline has existed. Not really good records for African Americans during the slave era. So I am 19% from the English Isles. I wish more African Americans would have the test done. I have more matches on the Caucasian side than the African American Side because of who is taking the tests.

Also, I don't think you were trying to be rude when you referred to "the Monkey People" and "Planet of the Apes" but it did make me flinch.

Sylvia H
June 26th, 2016, 04:13 PM
I am satisfied with what I have been told. I am 100% Lithuanian. All my grandparents immigrated, and my parents marriage was a somewhat arranged marriage. At my point in life, knowing anything different wouldn't matter. But, if my children did a DNA search, and they came up with less that 50% Lithuanian, then, I would be very curious.

Hulamoon
June 26th, 2016, 04:19 PM
Kids learn from their parents. My mom and stepdad had a feud with the neighbors over a fence and called them cheap Jews. I didn't know what that meant. I repeated that to one of my best friends that was Jewish and never will forget how it hurt her.

Please don't let this go that direction. :)

mommadeb
June 26th, 2016, 04:43 PM
I would like to have it done but haven't. But I am fortunate that my DGF started genealogy research in the 40's and obviously that was done with a lot of footwork and letters and phone calls. My dad has carried that on and now I have the torch, so I am pretty confident in my muttage. From England, Germany/Denmark, Austria/Bohemia, Switzerland and Cherokee. In fact, Jenny Doan's DD or DGD (I think) married a Sperry and she is a distant relative of mine.

MUTTS UNITE!!!!!

SallyO'Sews
June 26th, 2016, 09:55 PM
About 30 years ago, my dad, who was then about 60, decided to pay someone to do his genealogy. The professional had him fill out a form listing as many relatives' names, dates of birth, etc. as he could remember.

He called my grandmother and asked what the exact date of her wedding had been. Her response was a vague "Who remembers? It was a long time ago..." Wait, whaaaatttt???? Who forgets that?? But she wouldn't cooperate, so he sent in the information to the researcher.

Turns out, my grandparents were married in June of the same year my dad was born (full term).... in November. The reason my grandmother wouldn't tell my dad was that in 1924 it was pretty scandalous to be pregnant out of wedlock. I don't think she ever really got over the shame. My mother said hearing that explained a LOT about my grandmother, who was horrid to her.

Among other things, my grandparents married in Charleston, SC, and moved immediately to Shreveport, LA, where she gave birth to my dad a couple of months later, with no family support whatsoever, even though both she and my grandfather had 7 or 8 siblings. I only ever met one of my grandfather's sisters, and I believe my grandmother did not see any of her siblings for at least 40 years. My grandfather adored both his wife and his son (my dad); but they sent my dad away to military school when he was only ten years old. My great-aunt told my mom it was because my grandmother was jealous of the closeness between her husband and son. So sad.

Then when she was close to 80, she asked my dad for a bus ticket for her birthday, so she could go visit her family. My dad was not about to put his mother on a bus alone, so he bought plane tickets for the two of them, and they went to visit her brother. I never did get to meet my great-uncle, but I hope she was able to have some peace about her family before she passed a few years later.

Claire OneStitchAtATime
June 26th, 2016, 10:16 PM
I haven't, but my parents had it done, and it was very interesting. They were both convinced that they would be completely Irish (for good reason) but they weren't -- Nordic and Iberian heritage as well -- Vikings and the Armada? It was a surprise. Written records don't tell the whole story! They did the $99 version.

Angela, your story is so interesting. Thank you for sharing.

snippet
June 27th, 2016, 12:34 AM
My sister had their dog done: a pound puppy that looks like a hound/lab mix. They found out he was mostly Pomeranian, which blew their mind.
I saw a tv show the other week about this. I think the show was called "Who's your doggie?" or something like that. Anyways, it about families who have their dog's DNA tested and the results were very interesting! One rather large dog was 1/4 pomeranian too!

bubba
June 27th, 2016, 04:27 AM
[QUOTE=Angela J;887047
Also, I don't think you were trying to be rude when you referred to "the Monkey People" and "Planet of the Apes" but it did make me flinch.[/QUOTE]

I never called them that, it was just part of the story. I do know that as kids, MM and his cousins did refer to them like that and his grandma would yell at them about it. This DNA test was done years after she had died, but they all think she knew the story behind what had happened three or four generations prior. I think that those three are MM's great great, or possibly one more. Growing up in Washington, I never thought it was strange to be around someone who was black and several of my best friends were. I really meant none of what I said to be mean, and I apologize if anyone took it the wrong way.

bakermom
June 27th, 2016, 02:21 PM
I've toyed with the idea but not willing to shell out $100 for it. One side is Scots, the other Hungarian so it should be simple. However there are sure to be a few skeletons hiding out somewhere. don't know if i really want to know. LOL.

CraftyBarb
June 27th, 2016, 05:11 PM
I thought about having mine done until I saw what the price was. I don't need to know or have any desire to know. I could use that money for more fabric...lol

CraftySweetPeas
June 27th, 2016, 08:29 PM
I have a friend who says, "I can do it for $98"....ha ha ha.

snippet
June 27th, 2016, 08:52 PM
If anyone is interested in this, there is a bit of controversy in how the DNA is analyzed. There will be a free webinar from a genealogy group I frequent about this. Here's the info from their email:

As we march forward into another year of genetic genealogy much is being discovered about the ways in which we can analyze our autosomal DNA data. There is a hot debate over two seemingly competing ideas: the DNA Circle, or the Triangulation method. The DNA Circle was pioneered by AncestryDNA and relies on small shared segments and complete family trees. The Triangulation method requires a chromosome browser and detailed calculations of shared amounts of DNA. We will cover questions like, Which is the best route to take? Do I need a chromosome browser? How can I use these methods in my own genealogy? Autosomal DNA is an ever changing field, this lecture will cover the latest methods of analysis and interpretation for the non-scientist genetic genealogist.
The webinar will be this Wednesday and it's free, but limited to the first 1,000 people who sign in. Details are at www.FamilyTreeWebinars.com. And if you can't make it, the webinar is free to watch for 7 days after the recording.

lots2do
June 30th, 2016, 11:00 PM
I haven't tested my DNA, but I have had my dog's DNA tested. Seriously! The results are to 5%. She's Lab, Brittany, Springer, Chinook, Kelpie, Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, Afghan Hound, and Jindo. She looks like a mini Yellow Lab, has a Brittany head, and herds other dogs and nips at their ankles like a Kelpie.

Phew! That was exhausting just to read it. I guess her ancestors believed in free love. Ha, ha. Seriously, those are a lot of breeds in one dog. Will have to look up a Kelpie and a Jindo.

Altairss
June 30th, 2016, 11:28 PM
I do know some of those dog DNA test are not accurate I spoke with the rep at one company after a friend got his results back. For a joke he bought it and sent in a sample from his purebred pitbull show dog. It came back with all kinds of strange breeds including golden. When we called them we were told there was some breeds they did not test for (I think it shows the true breed but they put something else) basically dangerous breeds for liability reasons. This was about four years ago not sure if they still don't give you the truth if your breed tests for one of those breeds. I have thought about this for curiosity but want to wait and see how accurate they are first.

peepers613
July 4th, 2016, 01:47 PM
When I had my dog's DNA tested I didn't send a picture or give them any info. So, accurate DNA is the only way to explain the results.