PDA

View Full Version : My India Trip - Complaints and Joys

Preeti
June 25th, 2016, 11:46 AM
Just sharing the varied experiences on my trip. Lots of pictures, fabric, jewelry, clothes and high temperatures!!!
http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/2016/06/frogs-runny-nose.html

rebeccas-sewing
June 25th, 2016, 12:09 PM
Thanks so much for sharing this with us, Preeti. It is amazing how we become so acclimated to our own way of living even when our roots begin in another environment. It also gives us pause to stop and appreciate just how lucky we are to have the comforts of life that we enjoy here in the U.S.

Joe spent many years off and on living in Hyderabad working on projects for his company. India holds a special place in his heart. He even took our older daughter with him at one point. She lived with him there for six months. I stayed home with our younger daughter since she was in high school at the time. You can well imagine how much I enjoyed reading your story after hearing so many stories from these two.

I'm glad you had a chance to spend time with your sister. It's a long journey to India from the states - one I was never willing to make. I'm sure it was hard saying goodbye to your sis. Has she been to the states to visit you?

Neller
June 25th, 2016, 12:52 PM
Thank you so much for sharing your trip! The fabrics are beautiful and I loved those earrings too! I don't think I could tolerate the heat though.

Carol336
June 25th, 2016, 01:02 PM
Thank for sharing your trip Preeti....it sounds like it was wonderful and trying all at the same time. How nice to be able to visit with your Mom and sister, 10 years is such a long time not to be able to see our loved ones. I seriously doubt if I could take that heat without complaining, and to be stuck in a cab with no air conditioning - I admire your strength!!!!

I doubt if I'll ever be in India, but would love to visit that "shop" at the airport....it sounds so calming - nice way to end your trip!!!!

Lyndaj
June 25th, 2016, 01:11 PM
I LOVE reading your blog posts. While I will never visit India in a million years (couldn't handle that heat), I feel like I have learned a lot through this post. Glad you made it back safe and sound. Lovely fabric you bought over there and on Craftsy.

Grandma G
June 25th, 2016, 02:11 PM
I really enjoyed reading about your trip. Even through the heat and other discomforts you have made wonderful memories. Home is never what you quite remember when re-visited but all in all sounds like a fantastic trip. Thanks for sharing.

bubba
June 25th, 2016, 02:44 PM
I'm sure this was an interesting read, but every time I go to your blog, I get an ugly virus, so I can't read about your trip.

Preeti
June 25th, 2016, 03:17 PM
It is hot in June but December is very pleasant. I only went at this time because of mom's surgery.
I came to the US in 2003. Have been back a few times but always in winter. My sister lives in Pennsylvania. We flew together and returned together. It was a non-stop 14 hour direct flight from Newark to New Delhi. And while we are discussing this topic the exchange rate is 65 Indian rupees to a dollar, making it a very reasonable destination for varied experiences whether it is art, fabric, jewelry, architecture or cuisine.
Just do not go in summer.

Kgrammiecaz
June 25th, 2016, 05:44 PM
Where is the dang like button. Thank you for sharing.

jjkaiser
June 25th, 2016, 05:57 PM
This was so interesting, and especially so seeing it through your eyes as both a native Indian --oh dear person born in India I don't know the politically correct term--and as a U.S. citizen. Sounds like you knew or found the best places to shop! I love those solid fabrics you got. I am sure they will find their way into one of your beautiful masterpieces!

Lenie
June 25th, 2016, 06:08 PM
Thank you so much for sharing! Beautiful pictures, beautiful colors of India.

Monique
June 25th, 2016, 06:39 PM
I'm sure this was an interesting read, but every time I go to your blog, I get an ugly virus, so I can't read about your trip.

That is strange indeed.

Monique
June 25th, 2016, 06:40 PM
A wonderful read, thank you.

JCY
June 25th, 2016, 06:48 PM
Loved the pics & journal. I hope you mom is doing okay since her surgery. Thanks for sharing.

ceiliam
June 25th, 2016, 08:30 PM
Loved reading your blog, couldn't handle heat without air when you are as fair as I am , I dang sure wouldn't care if I looked like a tourist, I would wear a hat..lol. it looks like a great place to visit in the winter.

bubba
June 25th, 2016, 08:54 PM
That is strange indeed.

I know, but it has happened twice and both were right after looking at that blog. I know it's happened to others as well, because they told me it had.

MayinJerset
June 25th, 2016, 09:42 PM
Loved your tale about your trip and adventures, both the good and not so good, want to say Thanks for sharing it with us. Hope your Mom is recovering nicely.

Monique
June 25th, 2016, 10:04 PM
I know, but it has happened twice and both were right after looking at that blog. I know it's happened to others as well, because they told me it had.

That's too bad.

sewbizzy
June 25th, 2016, 10:31 PM
Preeti, I loved reading your story...very interesting...I also don't like the heat...so glad you got to visit with your Mom and your sister..

Bjvarizona
June 26th, 2016, 02:06 AM
Preeti's, I so enjoyed your blog. I was in India about 15 years ago and visited Dehli, Chandigarh and Jaipur. My husband had a contract over there for about 9 months and when he wasn't able to come home on one of the agreed visits, his company bought me a ticket there!! I visited the Taj Mahal and stood where my father stood about 1945, very moving to think that. And I bought fabric in Chandigargh, which if I remember correctly is known for its fabric manufacturing. The street scenes you showed in your photos reminded me of driving through the traffic and hearing all of the cars honking, like a language all their own!! I thought a circus had come to town when I saw the brightly painted trucks, until I realized that MOST of the trucks were painted like that. And I shopped in an open air market, don't remember the name of it, but near the Intercontinental Hotel in Dehli. So glad you could make the trip with your sister and visit your mom when she needed a visit. Thanks for sharing and for reminding me of my trip!! I so enjoy your blog postings.

seaturtle
June 26th, 2016, 09:26 AM
Very interesting read. I'm glad you were able to see her and have made it back safely. India is a fascinating country.

amartin24
June 27th, 2016, 11:58 AM
I love reading your stories! Sounds like you made the best of your trip. Americans are very spoiled with our comforts compared to a lot of the world. We take it for granted unfortunately.

lots2do
June 28th, 2016, 10:23 PM
Thanks for posting your link. I, too, enjoyed reading about your travels. I was over there in 1978 on a Girl Scout sponsored trip called a Wider Opportunity. I visited Bangalore, Mysore, New Delhi and Pune (not sure of the spelling). It was a life changing experience for me. I'm so grateful I was able to go. I love your new bangles, too.

Iolosdad
July 30th, 2017, 07:43 PM
We visited India in January for the first time and we fell in love with the country the people the sights the sounds ( all that honking) we loved the colours the culture the shopping and of course the food, so much so we have booked to return for 3 weeks in Decemberand I will be buying lots of fabric !
I've bone wondering if there was something creative i could make with sari fabric ? i bought a beautiful one in Jodhpur

jjkaiser
July 30th, 2017, 07:56 PM
We visited India in January for the first time and we fell in love with the country the people the sights the sounds ( all that honking) we loved the colours the culture the shopping and of course the food, so much so we have booked to return for 3 weeks in Decemberand I will be buying lots of fabric !
I've bone wondering if there was something creative i could make with sari fabric ? i bought a beautiful one in Jodhpur

Preeti might have some ideas. She is very creative and I think she has some family living there.

kgirlmom
July 30th, 2017, 10:35 PM
Welcome home, Preeti! Sounds like it was a humbling, yet surreal experience for you. Hope all is well with your family.

grammaterry
July 31st, 2017, 10:22 AM
Really enjoyed your pictures