PDA

View Full Version : CAUTION - Recent bunch of SPAM

Sandy Navas
December 7th, 2011, 11:31 AM
I may just be paranoid, but I have recently reported quite a few new sign-ups as SPAM and have seen quite a few people falling for these posts. Here's how I can tell - if the message has a variation of a celebrity name, or reads stranger than our normal log-on names; or, if there is a signature line that does not pertain to quilting at all (i.e., recently links to strange sites - biking, auto racing, waiting tables, etc.).

Perhaps I am wrong, but I would advise a bit of caution before providing too much information in such cases - they have ways of harvesting e-mails, etc.

KiltedQuilter
December 7th, 2011, 12:22 PM
^Sandy I don't think you're wrong at all(or paranoid), I spied some too!
I do have a giggle at them but I too would do as you suggest and err on the side of caution and NOT click anything or go to any site "recommended".

Definitely good to give folks a heads up though!

K. McEuen
December 7th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I've reported several as well. The dead give-away is first post and nothing else and several links in the signature.

Really now, how many of us knew how to add signature lines when we first started? They are here to advertise and nothing more. I noticed one in groups and there's no way to report them there.

KiltedQuilter
December 7th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Really now, how many of us knew how to add signature lines when we first started?
how true! :D

toggpine
December 7th, 2011, 02:09 PM
The smarter ones try to make it sound like something we might be interested in. A few months ago they tried something about designer bags. Just click the grey triangle and report away! You might send a note to Al/BillNye about the one in the Groups section.

oldgurl4
December 7th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Yeahp!
This is the Time of The Year for the Hackers.

Thanx for the Heads Up ~Sandy~

Bubby
December 7th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I have reported some lately as well. Barb

MRoy
December 7th, 2011, 10:47 PM
I noticed those posts and stayed clear of them. Thanks Sandy!

janluna
December 7th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the warning Sandy. Hugs, Jan L.