PDA

View Full Version : Heaven's gain

KPH
June 24th, 2016, 04:18 PM
Since January, my best friend has been battling renal cancer. There are a few things that have happened this week that I'd like to share.

Wednesday, DH and I were driving around. I was just restless and couldn't stand the thoughts of sitting in the house. I was worried about my friend, and glad we were going up to see her on Thursday.

I was just watching the clouds, trying to calm my soul, and I saw an eagle shape in the clouds. My mind popped to Isaiah 40:31 Isaiah 40:31New International Version (NIV)31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

I thought about the battle Sherry's been fighting, how her family had been there supporting her, and while I knew the battle was coming to a close, I knew she would be going home to a place where there would be no more pain and suffering.

So Thursday morning early, we headed up to visit Sherry. She was so glad we were there and the first thing she wanted was for Melinda to get "the book". The book is one her quilters guild has been working on. Each one chose a block to work on, and there are 100 blocks or so to be done. She had worked on several, and avoided all of the ones with triangles after we'd had such a time with it one weekend. Melinda and Sherry showed me what needed to be done. Each fabric choice for each block was pulled and pinned. The finished blocks are in the book, and there's a peach basket full of fat quarters all ready to work on.

From there, Melinda took me to her dining room. 6 quilts are all sorted, in plastic bags with patterns, names for the quilts and who they're to be given to. Everything is ready to be started. I asked if they wanted me to bring one home to start on, Melinda was like no, not yet.

So I went back to Sherry and told her she was going to have me busy for years. She laughed, and the old sparkle was in her eye.

Other members of her family came in to visit, and so DH and I left for the 4 hour drive back home. We stopped at 4:30 to have dinner. We'd just ordered our iced tea when DH's phone rang. Sherry was gone. On the restaurant stereo - the song was playing- Miss me When I'm Gone. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmSbXsFE3l8 if you've never seen it. I shook my head and laughed. Yes, Sherry, I'm definitely going to miss you.

After dinner we continued on toward home. I was watching the clouds again. The clouds formed what looked like an outstretched hand.

Talking to Melinda this morning, when Sherry passed- all the lights in the neighborhood went out for a minute. Then the lights in their house came back on, but none of the other houses in the neighborhood did.

Sherry was a trickster, and loved having a sense of comedy about her. The Good Lord better watch out, there's going to be a whole lot of laughter in heaven now.

Judy, USMC
June 24th, 2016, 04:37 PM
Condolences on losing your special friend. The way you described her - she must have been a firecracker. I'm sure whenever you work on a triangle block you will have fond memories.

easyquilts
June 24th, 2016, 04:46 PM
Thank you for sharing this sweet story,.. I am do sorry you have lost your special friend....

Monique
June 24th, 2016, 04:48 PM
Katrina, sorry for your loss. I do love that song by the way.

jjkaiser
June 24th, 2016, 04:55 PM
I am so sorry for this, Sherry sounds like a wonderful friend. You were so good her. Thanks for sharing her story. It was very touching and a bit mysterious too! Take care.
Jocelyn

pcbatiks
June 24th, 2016, 05:44 PM
Katrina.....thank you for sharing that sweet story about your friend Sherry. It sounds like you will have a lot of happy memories to comfort you. So sorry for your loss. I lost my best friend over 5 years ago. The laughs we shared sure helped me.

I'll be thinking of you.

The bible verse you mentioned is one of my favorites too. Here's a link to the song for those who might want to listen. It gets me every time I hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCNoFkzhT9o

KarenC
June 24th, 2016, 07:22 PM
So sorry for the loss of your friend. I'm glad you got to visit with her one last time. Sounds like you will have lots of time thinking of her while working on her projects. May the Lord grant you peace during this time.

Cokie
June 24th, 2016, 07:38 PM
I'm so very sorry for the loss of your friend. What a beautiful story you shared. Sherry sounds like the kind of friend we all would like to have.

peggiep
June 24th, 2016, 07:41 PM
So sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. It is so fortunate that you were able to visit one last time. May the Lord give you strength to carry you through this time.

CraftySweetPeas
June 24th, 2016, 08:15 PM
So sorry for the loss of your beloved friend. Sherry sure covered all her bases for her leap to her Eternal life, didn't she? She covered the electrical, the music, the clouds, the friends....Heaven is a little more enriched with her presence. I know your fond memories will comfort you in the loss of your charismatic friend. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

seaturtle
June 24th, 2016, 09:55 PM
So sorry to hear of the loss of your sweet friend. Thanks for sharing some of her story with us.

KPH
June 24th, 2016, 10:15 PM
I'm probably going to save those triangle blocks until the end. I'll probably be fussing just like she was that weekend up at the mountain house. ;)

Between the three of us, we finally figured out the measurements for the triangles were 7/8" off. So I have a feeling I'll be making a lot of practice blocks before I use the fabrics she picked out.

SallyO'Sews
June 24th, 2016, 11:13 PM
I'm sorry for your loss, Katrina, but glad you were able to get one last visit in. Quilty hugs to you.

auntiemern
June 25th, 2016, 01:16 AM
So very sorry for the loss of your friend. She sounds like a wonderful person.

stationarymom
June 25th, 2016, 01:41 AM
I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.She sounds like a special person.

gshannon1008
June 25th, 2016, 09:26 AM
Katrina.....what a sweet story about your friend Sherry. Thanks for sharing with us. You have many fond memories to cherish and comfort you.

RFREE
June 25th, 2016, 10:15 AM
So sorry for the loss of your friend. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

rebeccas-sewing
June 25th, 2016, 01:42 PM
My sympathies for the loss of your dear friend. I can well imagine how much you'll miss her.

Bubby
June 25th, 2016, 01:46 PM
So sorry for the loss of your dear friend. My prayers go out to you and her family.

MayinJerset
June 25th, 2016, 09:18 PM
Sad day for you losing your friend but she'll live on in your memories of the times you shared.

Grandma Nan
June 25th, 2016, 11:35 PM
Thanks for sharing with us. Your friend sounds like the kind of friend everyone would love to have. It is so special when you connect with someone on that level and you are blessed for having her in your life. I am sure she was so happy you got there to see her one last time. Take care of yourself, it takes time for these kind of hurts to heal and you need to allow yourself the time you need.

quiltingtrish
June 26th, 2016, 10:48 AM
I'm so sorry to hear of your friend. I am happy for all the years you've had together, I am sure she will smile down upon you when you remember all the fun times you had together.

geegeequilts
June 26th, 2016, 04:26 PM
I am so very sorry you lost your best friend. I can't imagine losing mine. My heart goes out to you & her family. God bless.

Gina

mommamarsh
June 26th, 2016, 10:41 PM
So very sorry for your loss.I am so glad you got to see her. Peace and comfort for you all.

amartin24
June 27th, 2016, 10:24 AM
So sorry for the loss of your friend. Your friendship sounds very special and it will be a huge loss I'm sure. Thank you for sharing your story. Amazing how God "speaks" to us!