• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WendyI
    Missouri Star
    • Nov 2012

Need advice please!

So on Tuesday I went to see my doctor. I have been feeling absolutely horrid the past month. Exhausted, weak, nauseous before and after meals, THIRSTY, poor vision, you see where this is going I'm sure.

So yesterday I get a call that my doc wanted to see me right away to discuss the results of my blood work. I totally panicked. I was so freaked out I had to leave work....I have NEVER had a doctor call me the day after a blood test to talk to me in my life! I was sure it was gonna be cancer. I'm a bit paranoid about it as I've known a lot of people who died from it.

Anyway...it's not, but it's not a great either. I have pretty serious (?) Type 2 diabetes. Normal blood sugar levels should be between 3 and 9 and mine were at 23...which I guess is pretty high? So I'm on metformin now and will be going to a diabetes clinic to get the pin prick kit thingy and learn about what I can and cannot eat and what I have to do to get healthy again. I also have really high cholesterol so have to get that under control as well. Will be taking lipitor for that I guess. Hopefully that won't be a life time thing??

Anyone else have this? Any advice you can give me during this early stage of just finding out? I had a yogurt and apple and two turkey pepperettes this morning for breakfast and I have switched from black tea with three sugars to Matcha tea and no sugar. This is only my first day tho! lol

Thanks all! xox
  • Granny Judy
    Missouri Star
    • Apr 2011

Re: Need advice please!

My late husband was diabetic. And took the same meds. It's really all about your diet.. And that is something you learn as you go along. The meeting at the clinic will help get you started on this diet of what and when you should eat.

As for the high cholesterol, it should start getting more normal as you get your diabetes under control. I always took a fiber drink with my Lipitor... It helped get rid of the fat. Not sure how it worked, but It got my number down to normal in just a few weeks.

You should start feeling a lot better soon. Just stick to the diet as much as you can.
    Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
    :icon_wave:

Comment

• LauraP
      Missouri Star
      • Dec 2015

I went through the same thing about 10 yrs ago. You're right, it is scary. The best thing I did was find a support system and take classes on what having diabetes means. I take metformin also and you will be surprised how fast you start to feel better. Taking your blood isn't as scary as it seems. Set your pin pricker at the lowest setting and move it up until you are getting a good blood drop. There is no need to stab deeper than necessary. I have one hand that bleeds easier than the other (Doc says he doesn't know why but not to worry) so that's the hand that gets stuck most. Now that I am under control I test twice a day, three times a week. I keep a written chart of my numbers so it's in front of me when I feel like cheating. The doc appreciates being able to see my cycles.
      Don't freak out about what you are eating until you get some solid information. Now that my numbers are under control I pretty much eat whatever I want, just maybe not as often as before. If I know a party is coming up, I eat more salads and fruits so I have a little cheat space for the goodies.
      You will be surprised how easy it is to live with diabetes once you are under control and the difference in how you feel is amazing. Please feel free to PM me if I can help. I'm usually available to talk since I don't work.
      sigpic

Comment

• ceiliam
        Missouri Star
        • Jul 2014

Have type 2 also, which I have managed to get under control with exercise and diet and losing 60 lbs. I have found that I just cut out sugar helped . Follow what they tell you and see if you don't start feeling better soon . Good luck. Cecelia

Comment

• easyquilts
          Missouri Star
          • Dec 2012

I don't have any answers for you, but want you to know that you can do this.... Diabetes is in my family... It's sll about balancing diet and exercise... The clinic will help... Keep asking questions.... It's a whole new way of life...but...you can do it... I know you can...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

• peggiep
            Applique Angel
            • Oct 2015

Wendy - I know nothing about diabetes, but my thoughts and prayers are with you as you learn how to deal with it. I know it is very important to get (and keep) your numbers under control because there are more serious affects if you don't. Follow the advice of the doctor and learn as much as you can.

Peggie
            Peggiep
            "I don't need to get organized, I just need a bigger sewing room." :)

Comment

• auntiemern
              Missouri Star
              • Mar 2012

As I was reading your symptoms, I was pretty sure where it was going. You can handle this...follow doctors orders, eat well, cut out the majority of your carbs, and get a handle on your lifestyle. Diabetes can be well controlled by doing the right things. Look on the bright side, at least you don't have to give yourself injections. You have this...if you need a support group, do it. You are stronger than you think.
              Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
              sigpic

Comment

• SallyO'Sews
                Missouri Star
                • Nov 2012

Hi, Wendy! DH was diagnosed about 8 years ago. As you know, he's a pastor and a classroom teacher; he used to stop at the gas station every day on the way to work, get a big (1.5 liter) cup of Coca Cola and ice, and just sip it all day long. Pouring that much sugar into his body every day for 40 years finally took a toll on him (and yes, we teased him mercilessly about his Coke habit! ) The key for him has been diet AND cardiovascular exercise. That doesn't mean mowing the lawn (which is better than being a couch potato but not really the same). It means that which increases your heart rate, and causes you to perspire.

Just taking a BRISK walk for 30 minutes a day - about 3.2 km - will do wonders. Doesn't take that long, and you'll not only lower your blood sugar, but you'll also probably lose some weight. I know you're up there in cold weather country, but if you do a Web search for Walk at Home videos, you'll find a gazillion. Here in the US, some of the cable TV companies even offer them on demand, so it's already paid for! Just go through different ones until you find one you like (I am a fan of Leslie Sansone, but that's just me). What I like about this way is I can do it first thing in the morning in my nightgown before I take my shower - no going to the gym, no worries about inclement weather, etc. If you'd rather sign up for Zumba classes or you can swim laps in a pool, do that! Doesn't really matter as long as you are hiking that heart rate.

So proud of you for getting your health under control! Can't wait to hear reports of how much better you feel in a month or two!

Comment

• gshannon1008
                  Designer Diva
                  • Oct 2015

Wendy,
                  Hearing those words sent me into a spiral in 2007. The metformin, understanding carb intake (sugars) and exercise (walking) were key for me. Follow what your Dr. says, listen to the nutritionist and start moving. I feel so much better now and never feel that I am deprived. You can do this Wendy. Feel free to PM if you have questions or need to chat.
                  Gwen

Comment

• Judy, USMC
                    Missouri Star
                    • May 2013

My mom and husband had/have diabetes. Their high numbers were greatly reduced just by decreasing the amount of carbs. I'm sure the clinic will have a nutritional counseling. Of course exercise is a part of dealing with the disease ...

The numbers you cited must be a different scale than the A1C that is used in the US. My husband's was 7.2 when he was diagnosed. I'm a 5.4 which is good. I believe the diabetes diagnosis is called for once someone passes 6.1 and pre-diabetic runs around 5.8-5.9.

It's just a matter of modifying your lifestyle a bit. You can do it!

Comment

• rebeccas-sewing
                      Missouri Star
                      • Apr 2010

Sorry to hear this, Wendy. This is a wakeup call for sure. You're young so I feel that once you educate yourself and start working on eating healthier you'll find that you may even be able to cut out the meds. I'm glad you found out before anything more serious could happen.
                      Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

• grandma nurse
                        Applique Angel
                        • Jul 2013

One of the best descriptions I have heard about diabetes is it makes you eat like everyone should be eating. Don't panic, just eat healthy.

Comment

• asta
                          Missouri Star
                          • Nov 2012

I have been living with diabetes for almost 40 yrs now, have type 1/juvenile DH has been dealing with type 2 for about 5 years now. You will learn to read labels and my best advice is to check your blood sugars often and record your results along with a food journal-detailed food journal. You will discover what works for you, we can all process/use foods differently what spikes his BS does not always spike mine for example, I can eat a cup of white rice and my sugars are hardly affected, he on the other hand will get a huge spike in his, white bread and pasta are my triggers.
                          Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Comment

• Neller
                            Batting Beauty
                            • Jan 2015

An A1C of 23 is pretty high, but you can get it back down. This is an invitation for you to develop a healthier lifestyle. As your blood glucose (sugar levels) come down, your vision problems will clear and you will feel better, too. I also take metformin, and it can take a little getting used to, but it is totally manageable. As everyone has said, diet and exercise are really the key to good control, along with the medication. Good luck, you can do this!
                            Nancy

Comment

• Wwena
                              Missouri Star
                              • Nov 2012

I'm sorry to hear that Wendy! I'm sure you'll get sound advice. My MIL has it and has to stay away from sugar and refined carbs. She has improved greatly through changing her diet alone, but will take some medication as well. You can do this!!
                              ~ Anna ~

My Pinterest

Comment

Working...
                              X