PDA

View Full Version : Wedmesday, Dec 7

Blondie
December 7th, 2011, 07:03 AM

Good Morning, Happy Wednesday!

Well, I got on a tear yesterday and have a lap quilt put together and started the hand stitching last evening. I had time on my hands waiting for the Dish tech to show up. Still needing batteries for my camera. Hope I can remember to buy new chargeable ones before Christmas.

Yesterday evening I went down to Moms for a little bit. The house was smelling so fine - she was in the mood to bake Christmas cookies. Is there anyone who can cook better than a Mommies and Grammies? Oh, she had made rugelach with three variety of fillings - nut, almond and prune. I snagged a few to bring home to have this morning. We had a serious discussion concerning next week - she has yet another dr appt and then it is the anniversary of my Dad's arrival in heaven. Never one to stay in a sad mood for long (because after all, Daddy is having the best time in eternity), we got our all her Christmas music boxes. Mom loves wind up musical anything. She has snowmen that carol, mice that skate, santas that move - when we get them all turned on and wound up, it sounds like Santa's workshop. We turned all the lights out because the little marvels light up as well. Later when I got home I was telling Luscious that in the dark glow of the room I could actually see the little girl my Mom used to be. Hard to describe but I think you know what I mean. I put my order in for a few dozen rugelach's just for me. That with some coffee or cocoa or egg nog or milk or you see, they go with everything!

JanL, sorry to read that our Emily's numbers are not good again. Prayers being said daily.

Thinking of those today especially in the military as we honor Pearl Harbor day.

For everyone who needs it, here's a big old hug to go along with the prayers offered daily for each of my friends and their special needs! I used to tell my kids all the time - come to think of it, I still do - that arms are the best thing to have around you. So here's a hug - good for whatever ails you, brings a warmth to every heart, a smile on each face. God Bless us everyone.

lilmouse
December 7th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Blondie...do you ever sleep...pot calling the kettle black...I am a night owl and as my other half is driving all over the country I spend most of my evenings alone..no one to tell me time for bed...do some of my best work in the wee hours of the morning.
big hug back to you...prayers said for those that need them and hugs as well...take care...bedtime for me

MRoy
December 7th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Hugs and wishes for a great day to everyone. It's hump day! Yay!

Loonwatcher
December 7th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Blondie - if I'd brought some rugelach home last night they wouldn't have made it til this morning. I'd gobble them up right away!

Jan - I read Blondie's comment about Emily's numbers. Sorry to hear. Saying prayers now.

I spent some time doing Xmas decorations at the ambulance building yesterday in the drizzle. As I was leaving I realized I never did the payroll at work so back to work I went to get that done. The boys woudl not be happy if they didn't get a paycheck today. As it is I was too late to get the direct deposit checks into the bank on time so they won't show into employee's accounts (mine too) until tomorrow. Oops! Sorry guys! Sometimes I get so wrapped up in a project that the time gets away from me and it's quiltting time.

Anyway, after decorating in the drizzle yesterday, now I'm feeling a bit under the weather. Stuffy and sore throat. Not too sore so I'll be going to work - too much to do. Better be better by tomorrow; it's my birthday!

Hope everyone has a great day. Prayers to those who need it.

Hugs,

quilter.martha
December 7th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Nancy--happy birthday to you! I hope you feel better real soon.

Jan--my heart is with you and your family. Prayers for little Emily for complete healing, and prayers for you and your family for peace with the situation. I can't even imagine what you're all going through.

There are so many here with needs. You are in my prayers as well. I never thought a quilting forum could become a support group, but it sure is. Sooooo very thankful for this fourm.

Update on my mom--she continues to decline. We are in a waiting mode. She is pretty much sedated all the time now and has a morphine pump to administer the pain meds. She started rejecting solid foods over a week ago, and now fluids are impossible with her being sedated. A hospice nurse has been spending the nights at their apartment for the past several nights, but that is coming to a close. My dad may hire a private nurse to be there at night to help him out. So its just a matter of time. Continued prayers for my family would be very greatly appreciated.

Everyone, have a fun day with your projects and Christmas preparations!

ginampls
December 7th, 2011, 09:43 AM
hello all...ohgolly Jan....i pray for what ever your need is....

i slept through the night last night! very rare these days.
last night i was looking through the gallery of quilt pics...it made me feel so good. I am getting my sewing tingle back.

Bubby
December 7th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Good Morning...Just a quick note as we are soon leaving for the long drive to Springfield for my appointment with the foot doctor. Hopefully the day will include a stop at the quilt shop and a nice lunch.

Jan, my prayers continue to be with Emily and your family. Martha, this is such a difficult time for your whole family. My prayers go out to all of you.

Nancy, Happy Birthday and hope you feel terrific for your special day tomorrow!! Blondie, I wish you had snagged me some of Mom's cookies!!! They're worth running my sugar up the flag pole!!!

Have to run..DH is growling at me to get a move on! Hugs all around, Barb

Mrs.Sew&Sew
December 7th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Morning everyone! Hope all goes well for you all today!
I hope to trim Dylan's tee shirt quilt. I went and picked it up from being quilted yesterday! It looks great if I do say so myself. I hope to trim it and start putting the binding together today. It is a nasty gray day here. Not raining any more but they said instead of it warming up as the sun comes out it will get colder instead. (bout time)
:icon_wave:

Monique
December 7th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Good morning to all my quilting family. Martha, you are right about this forum being more than just quilting. I don't think I have enjoyed anything more than this forum. My anniversary is coming soon. One year since I have been here.

Blondie, I know you enjoy the time you send with your mom. Saturday is the anniversary of my Mom's trip to heaven. 5 years. I can't believe it has been that long. I have been a little weepy this week at times. On Saturday as well, I am having Christmas Dinner with my father's last remaining sister and her children. We have just reconnected with this side of the family and it is wonderful that they included my brother and I. Warms the heart.

The Bob Seger concert was wonderful last night. Had a blast. This morning I have a headache.

This evening we (The Lionettes) are hosting a Christmas dinner for seniors who are alone. There should be around 130 or so people. We have a small group of people who will entertain with song, then dinner, and Santa will appear with a small gift for each guest. You would not believe, but this is the SOCIAL event of the year for these people.

Sewing today? Perhaps.

Doctor's appointment results - ALL GOOD!!!!!!!

Have a great day y'all.

Beakkmom
December 7th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Good morning quilty friends, Blondie thanks for starting our day out with such warmth and love! Martha, prayers for you and your family at this very difficult time; Jan, continue to pray for Emily and your family; Nancy hope you bounce back and can enjoy your BD; Monique, so glad to hear a good report on your Dr. apt! Hugs to all, at this time of year when we remember Him who is the ultimate gift of Love!

Blessings,

Lin

cyndiofthevortex
December 7th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry to say I'll be snatching up a few of those prayers today. Nothing big, like what some here are going through. But "in all things," right? Just feeling sick and sad and overwhelmed. I don't fell like sewing or doing much of anything, but finishing up a Christmas gift or two might be just what I need.

I haven't posted for a few days, thinking I was just having a pity party, and no one wants to be invited to those. No cake and nothing wrapped in bacon. But prayers would be appreciated as sickness and heartache are dragging me down, and I have my family to take care of.

Maybe I'll post a finished table runner tonight and report a better day thanks to all of you and the power of prayer. And I will add my prayers for all of you, too.

Sorry to be so un-cheery!

Cyndi

meemeecyn
December 7th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Good morning, all you special ladies. Yes, this is the best support group going! Blondie....the music box story brought tears to my eyes. So lovely that you can provide for your Momma just what she needs. I remember how much joy my Mom got by reliving the memories. Not always remembering what she had for breakfast....but the music and memories of days gone by were right there.

Happy Birthday, Nancy! Sure hope you feel better soon. Martha, my prayers are with you and your family. This is a tough process, but it sounds like she is being kept comfortable and that gives us comfort. (or some anyway...)

Monique....the anniversary of heaven entrance is one that always hits hard. I try to take that opportunity to reflect on happy times, still acknowledging my sadness, but try to conjure up some good memories. It is ok to shed some tears....that is all part of the grief process. (My mom's 10th anniversary was Nov 5 and I balled my eyes out more than once that day, so I understand.)

Prayers for your Emily, Jan. Tough for all of you. She sounds like an amazing little girl.

Have a great day, everyone.
Cynthia

Sandy Navas
December 7th, 2011, 11:26 AM
You know, I never know whether I'm going to come on here and laugh, cry, just sit and think or act up. Today is one of those days that probably calls for all of the above. It is amazing the things we are dealt in life and even more amazing that some seem to have their plates full and others breeze through life. Or, is that just a mask we wear when we are sharing with others. Hard to tell sometimes without reading people's faces . . . like our little Zoe who can shoot daggers straight to your heart with a simple glance. Or our Rita who opens her eyes with a smile and has the most gentle soul . . . and it shows in the face.

Okay, enough of that!! I have a very long prayer list and I keep adding to it. I do remember when Al and I got out of the military - he had a service-related injury and went to the VA hospital to get a determination on his disability. The doctor there asked him if it hurt to kneel down and Al told him that it did. The doctor's suggestion? "Change religion." Simple - sometimes we can't get on our knees, but the good Lord does hear our prayers. Spoke to Donna last night and had her laughing her butt off. She had another scan this past Friday and is going to see the doctor along with her daughter and son this coming Friday. Hopefully the kids will help her see her fighting side.

I had three DGDs here yesterday afternoon. It is so amazing to watch their different abilities and talents. The younger one demonstrates such an advanced understanding of geometry that it is mind-boggling. And she is the only one who has confidence and a true ability to rethread the machine and insert the bobbins correctly. All in all we had a wonderful afternoon. Now I just have to gear up for another one today. They are so much fun.

I have a dresser scarf in the works for DD (her request for a quilted one). Did a mock-up of a Friendship Braid . . . just winged it - what I do best (that must be because Mom always told me I was the spawn of an old crow . . . ). Started to do the binding last night and noted there was a short section I missed when I did the machine sewing to attach it. Back to the machine this morning and then the final binding will be done by hand. I used the meander stitch on my embroidery machine to quilt it but I'm not sure I like the results that much - but it isn't that bad. Nice that I still had a jelly roll of the same fabric I had used for her quilt that I made last year.

Okay, off of here - I have this feeling I'm missing something, but do not despair. I VILL BE BACK!!

toggpine
December 7th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Hi All!
It does sound like hugs and prayers are needed all around today, so I'll share mine. Nice thing about a hug, you can't give one without getting one!
Em & I had a great time with my mom and step-dad last night. Dad is/was a longshoreman and last night was their annual Christmas party for the kids. This is the first year that Dad has invited us to go, and Em was SOOOO excited to go and talk to Santa. As kids, we were a bit too old (mid-teens) for the party when Mom & Dad got married, so I had never been. There were crafts for the kids to make and a dinner of sweaty chicken nuggets, mac & cheese, chips, and juice pouches. I am not sure what was worse, the sweaty chicken nuggets or the magician. He really didn't have a good routine for the 5 to 8 year old set. Actually, I'm not sure any of us found him very funny. Santa was a HUGE hit. He arrived on a Fire Engine and everybody got to sit with him and tell him what they wanted for Christmas. She willingly waited in line for about half an hour or more to talk to him. It was good to see Dad and Emily having fun and making those memories. We all hope that Dad'll be here next year to do it again.

Oh I gotta run! We don't want Em late for school! Catch you all later!
Cath

CrazyMtnLady
December 7th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Hello to all! One big hug and prayer for all my quilters and their families. This time of year is always so hard to get through when there is something weighing down on our hearts.
Hugs to all.

janluna
December 7th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Thank you for the prayers for Emily and for the rest of the family. Prayers right back at you.
Sandy I'm praying for Donna, Martha prayers for your Mom and you, Monique prayers for you,
Nancy prayers for you to feel better, Gina, prayers for your foot to heal, and Blondie prayers for Mama and you, Daisy prayers for your husband and you and for a great wedding day.
Nancy, Happy Birthday! I sure hope it's a good one. Thanks again for Emily. Hugs, Jan L.

BellasQuilts
December 8th, 2011, 01:07 AM
Why is it that I have this urge now to gather us all up and go to Blondie's with our quilting projects, sit around her kitchen table, drinking coffee and eating Grandma's cookies? Doesn't that just sound heavenly?

rebeccas-sewing
December 8th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy Birthday dear NANCYYYYYYYY!!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!

Happy to hear some good news here. Sad to hear others' trials and tribulations. Martha, I know what a difficult time you're going through. Losing a parent is one of the most difficult experiences each and every one of us will face at some point. I've been through it with my dad and dread the day when it comes time for Mom to leave us. I'm shedding tears for you, Martha.

rebeccas-sewing
December 8th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Bella - if only dreams came true! That would be so much fun for us.

I just finished reading ALL the posts. For those who are having tough times I hope life will get better for all of you in the coming year. Hopefully, the holiday season will bring some joy into your lives. If you're feeling blue try to pick yourself up with things that normally bring you happiness. Take a long walk; put on music that you love; go to a fabric shop with cash (not your credit card) and purchase a few fat quarters that catch your eye; get together with a friend who doesn't care what you look like when you show up at the door. (Sometimes it's hard to fix oneself up when feeling down.) Sometimes just sitting down with a friend having a cup of tea and some cookies and a few laughs can really take your burdens away for a little while.