PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever look up?

Hulamoon
June 21st, 2016, 06:16 AM
I wonder sometimes about the moon and stars. Those day's where you would say 'heck yes I would go to the moon, I'm not afraid'. Now days I'm not so sure about walking around this earth.

Today is Strawberry moon. I saw it on the news today and thought what is that? I had a hard day today and cracked a beer and went outside to my picnic bench to reflect. The clouds moved and there was a pink ring around the moon.

Just wishing for some peace.

Iris Girl
June 21st, 2016, 08:34 AM
Lorie I love looking at the stars and the moon . I find it very peaceful. Then I try and pick out some constellations. I didn't get to stay up to see the moon last night. On some heavy duty antibiotics for a something that bit me and they knock my energy out. This morning we had clouds where the moon was :( Here's hoping you find peace

shirleyknot
June 21st, 2016, 09:06 AM
I've been a stargazer all my life. Interesting 'world' up there.

Cool Breeze Quilter
June 21st, 2016, 10:23 AM
Wishing you peace. I enjoy looking at the stars too.

bhaggerty
June 21st, 2016, 10:24 AM
Loved the strawberry moon last night!!!

grammaterry
June 21st, 2016, 10:32 AM
I heard on the radio that the universe is expanding. So I looked it up and in the 20's the Hubble telescope guy discovered this. Anyway, as it expands the moon and stars go further away from us.
So...a billion years ago, the moon was really close to earth making the tidal pull much stronger and the days were shorter because the earths rotation was faster and yes, the moon would look bigger. So, can you imagine when Christ was born how big the star of the East looked and how big the constallations were. No wonder man was focused on navigating by the stars.
Here in my neck of the woods, there are no city lights and we see the stars shining bright. When I go to my Son's home in South Carolina, the sky looks rounded because it is such flat country. He's out in the country on a lake with no lights either, so it is amazing to see the panorama of the universe.
When I went to Australia, the sky was totally different...like a whole new universe to look at.

Carlie Wolf
June 21st, 2016, 10:32 AM
I've always been a stargazer too. I love sitting out in the evening and just letting my mind wander. It was unbelieveable when I was living in Canada in the cottage country. Millions of stars. The longer you looked, the more you saw. I can't see as many here now though, maybe just a few of the brighter ones and that makes me sad.

One thing I did see last year one night was in my neighbors yard. He has quite a few very large maples in the back yard. One night there were so many fireflies in those trees it literally looked like Christmas trees lit with hundreds and hundreds of blinking little Christmas lights. It was around 11PM and I swear I almost went over there to wake them up to come out and see it LOL Amazing and so beautiful! Only saw something like this once in my life before and that was in Vermont off of my porch in a medium sized lilac bush. I was told it was a mating thing.

quiltingtrish
June 21st, 2016, 11:11 AM
The stars are so beautiful at night here. We do have lots of trees but not many lights so I go out many times to gaze upwards. We actually gave son #2 his middle name from Orion. I told DH "I could not go have this baby because I didn't have a middle name". As we were walking out the door, I was bent over in pain, he looked upward and saw Orion. That was it! Andrew Orion. We only see it in the winter months and we go out many times to find it.
In Maine on vacation we could hardly wait for midnight to come. We would go out on the lake and sit in the kayaks gazing at the millions of stars. Beautiful!

rebeccas-sewing
June 21st, 2016, 12:40 PM
I hope someday to live in a place where I can walk outside and there will be no streetlights or city lights. I miss Pennsylvania when we lived out in the Amish territory. Country life was idyllic and is sorely missed by me.

Simply Quilting
June 21st, 2016, 01:50 PM
We were able to see the strawberry moon last night. It was a very unique experience as we were driving home, there was the moon that peeked in & out of the clouds, a section of no clouds that let the stars shine brightly, then to the south was clouds with lightening in the clouds almost never coming to earth.

WendyI
June 21st, 2016, 01:54 PM
I miss stargazing for sure. Difficult to see with so much light pollution these days. Sometimes when I travel to the east coast I see the Northern lights as I go through the northern Quebec countryside if it's at night of course.

lots2do
June 22nd, 2016, 01:24 PM
Yes, I love to look up, too!
The strawberry moon looked lemon yellow up here in Maine. Its light reflected off of the lake and was so pretty. I had to call DH to come and look at it.
I would love to have seen the bush/tree full of fireflies. This spring, we went on a night hike in Florida at the Brooker Creek Preserve and saw loads of fireflies from the boardwalk there. Truly magical except for the hungry mosquitoes. First time we had seen fireflies there.
Peace to all of you.

shirleyknot
June 22nd, 2016, 01:37 PM
Its called strawberry moon because its the month for picking strawberries. At least the Native Americans thought so. Same reason we have a harvest moon and a hunters moon, among others less famous.

Carolnnc
June 22nd, 2016, 03:12 PM
In 1954 when my dad first moved us to this street in the country we kids would lie on our backs and look at the stars. There were no outside lights or street lights and the houses were far apart. Now there are so many houses and businesses it's just dark outside and hard to see the night sky. I've always looked at the night sky and wondered if there was someone else who was wondering what I was: is there someone else out there?
I'm looking forward to moving way out in the country when DH retires in a few years so I can stargaze again.

Tracy14
June 22nd, 2016, 10:03 PM
Rebecca Sewing:- I am a country girl too but since I met my husband and got married we live 50mins from the city . I miss the country so much but my husband isn't too keen to live out there plus we want the best for our childrens education. Its hard, maybe when the kids leave home things might change. :) lol

I don't go out at night much as its a scary place out there, we hear hoons drag racing at night. We had a beautiful rainbow in the sky this morning as I drove my daughter to school. A year ago I never really took much notice of what the weather was doing or looking like. But this year I am and appreciating what beauty mother nature has to offer. :)

SallyO'Sews
June 22nd, 2016, 10:50 PM
When I was 15, my first boyfriend moved with his family from our town in Connecticut (East Coast US) to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Broke my heart. But I used to go outside and look at the moon and think that even though he was very far away, he was looking at the same moon, and that made me feel better.

Yes, I was the world's sappiest teenager in 1970. Happily, we both grew up and got over it. Hadn't heard anything from or about him for decades, but we actually became friends on Facebook a few years ago. He's had a great life, as have I. Both of us are married and have been blessed with both children and grandchildren. And based on his political posts on FB, he's much better off NOT married to me, LOL!!

Praying you find real peace that transcends human understanding, Lorie. Blessings, ~ Sally