PDA

View Full Version : You're never too young...

SallyO'Sews
June 19th, 2016, 10:28 PM
... to become a quilter!

Working on quilt for New Baby granddaughter, under the watchful eyes of Big Brother (6) and Big Sister (4). Discussion involves use and threading of serger and regular sewing machines, and the importance of being careful to avoid injury around sharp things.

K: "I wish I could sew."

Me: "You know, K, lots of children can sew. When you're a bit older, say, when you're seven, maybe I can teach you, if your parents say it's okay."

I keep stitching and chatting with Big Brother about various and sundry topics. Big Sister has run off to the living room, as four-year-olds are wont to do.

K: *Returns to sewing room, about 25 seconds later* "They said okay!"

bakermom
June 19th, 2016, 11:09 PM
LOL, my 6 yo GD, 4 and 3 yo GSs "help" me knit. They sit on my lap and I hold their hands under mine on the needles. Older 2 almost have it down. They aren't usually around when I sew or they would be helping with that, too.

peggiep
June 19th, 2016, 11:33 PM
That sounds like a typical 6 year old....so spontaneous!

bubba
June 20th, 2016, 01:27 AM
Alex really wants to sew!!! A couple years ago I tried to show her and she did not listen to instruction and nearly sewed my fingers! Lesson was over! She still does not listen or follow instructions/rules at nine and she is begging me to give her another chance. I told her if she shows me she is responsible with her glasses, maybe we would try at Christmas break......

SallyO'Sews
June 20th, 2016, 10:57 AM
Alex really wants to sew!!! A couple years ago I tried to show her and she did not listen to instruction and nearly sewed my fingers! Lesson was over! She still does not listen or follow instructions/rules at nine and she is begging me to give her another chance. I told her if she shows me she is responsible with her glasses, maybe we would try at Christmas break......

Pat, now that she has the glasses, I'll bet she is much better able to focus - both physically and mentally! - on the task at hand. Great idea about Christmas break - it gives her a goal to work towards, and it will be a fond memory for her and you down the road.

WendyI
June 21st, 2016, 03:11 PM
LOL, my 6 yo GD, 4 and 3 yo GSs "help" me knit. They sit on my lap and I hold their hands under mine on the needles. Older 2 almost have it down. They aren't usually around when I sew or they would be helping with that, too.

That must be so incredibly sweet! Get pics of that!