PDA

View Full Version : I can see!!!

bubba
June 17th, 2016, 03:35 PM
Those words are from Alex, the nine year old grandgirl. About two weeks ago, she sprained her ankle and we ended up in the ER. The school had thought it was broken. While there, she kept asking what things on the wall said. I asked her why she couldn't read them and she said she could not see them!

Well, I won't go into the conversation with her mom which only made me mad. A few days later, MM and I took her to have her eyes checked. She has glasses, which she lost a long time ago, over a year. She did not have to wear them all the time, so I guess her mom was not concerned with replacing them. We took her to America's Best, so she would have a pair and a spare. Indeed, she needs glasses, and now she has to wear them all the time!

While there, they also did a test for color blindness. I had never had or seen that test and found it quite interesting. It turned even more interesting when we learned she is color blind!! Only 1% or less of females are color blind. She can not tell red or green apart, or blue and orange. When the colors are by themselves, red looks pink and the others are all gray. This makes me sad because of all the green we have in this state and she sees it all in gray tones.

It was not until a few days after she picked her glasses out that it occurred to me the only pairs she tried on were either black or gray. She was picking them by their shape and not their color. One pair she picked is all black, the other is black with yellow arms. And then I got to thinking....all her clothes are either purple, bright pink or dark blue....no greens, oranges, etc. It's all making sense now.

I have a picture of her in her new glasses I'll post next as the picture is on my phone.

CraftyJnet
June 17th, 2016, 03:59 PM
Thank goodness you took her in. I did the same thing for my great niece. Vision is a blessing.

Hulamoon
June 17th, 2016, 04:06 PM
I started wearing glasses in sixth grade. My eyes got better for some reason, so when my last pair broke I never replaced them. I really need reading glasses though.

I saw a program where someone developed special glasses for color blindness. They gave some away to a bunch of people of all ages. Some didn't even know they were color blind. The reactions were priceless. You should ask around about them. Or I'll try and find the show if I can.

Hulamoon
June 17th, 2016, 04:14 PM
Here is a whole page of YouTube videos of the glasses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmje4NikMdw

bubba
June 17th, 2016, 04:19 PM
We talked to the eye doctor about them and he was under the impression that they were very expensive and did not always work. I'll watch the videos....thanks!

MayinJerset
June 17th, 2016, 04:30 PM
Grandma to the rescue - and it's a good thing too. Thanks to you and MM Alex is enjoying her new found ability to see more clearly.

bubba
June 17th, 2016, 04:42 PM
Oh my goodness!!!! I can't begin to tell you how many times in the past five days I have hit the reply button thinking it was the like button!!!!

Grandma G
June 17th, 2016, 05:25 PM
Oh my goodness!!!! I can't begin to tell you how many times in the past five days I have hit the reply button thinking it was the like button!!!!

I know, I miss that like button, TOO!!!!!!! I am so happy you stepped in and took your granddaughter to have her eyes checked. I can't imagine living in a world with limited color. I wonder how Many other kids are out there whose vision is limited in that way and don't really know it.

You did a wonderful thing for her and she looks precious in her new glasses!! Way to go, Grandma!!!!

KarenC
June 17th, 2016, 06:58 PM
Glad you were able to come to her rescue. She is a cutie.

Hulamoon
June 17th, 2016, 08:37 PM
We talked to the eye doctor about them and he was under the impression that they were very expensive and did not always work. I'll watch the videos....thanks!

I watched a couple and they all seemed so happy and a few were crying. I guess you have to wear them a couple of weeks to get the full effect. In one, it was so cute, a bunch of friends pitched in to buy their buddy a pair. I wonder how much they are?

alliek
June 17th, 2016, 09:06 PM
Big blessings for your GD when she sprained her ankle! She is so young, maybe she will be able to see colors in the future. God Bless.

bubba
June 17th, 2016, 09:38 PM
Big blessings for your GD when she sprained her ankle! She is so young, maybe she will be able to see colors in the future. God Bless.

It is a genetic condition you are born with and it does not go away. It can get worse, but it won't get better. I still can't get over the fact that she never said anything about it, but then she would not know that what she is seeing isn't the way it really is. It must be common in premies, because that is one of the first things they asked about, but she was full term.

Tracy14
June 17th, 2016, 11:07 PM
Glad you gd is going good now. My daughter just got glasses too. I had no idea there was anything wrong just from a few headaches. Then the past month she started complaining about feeling dizzy. Got her eyes tested. She is long sighted in one eye and she has Astigmastism (irregular shaped cornea)in the other eye. This was causing the dizzy feeling when reading small print. I felt so bad I didn't take her earlier. Since getting glasses for reading, going on the computer and watching tv. She has been so much better. :) I now have to get my other kids tested as Astigmastism is genetic. :(

grammaterry
June 17th, 2016, 11:42 PM
a world without color...hard to imagine. I live my life by color. I work jig saw puzzles by color and not shape. I oil paint and color makes everything come alive from depth to shadows...and quilting...my goodness how many comments do we get about hw great th colors are. I'm glad you took her and now she knows. Of course, she really can't imagine what she is missing. How can you describe color?

bubba
June 17th, 2016, 11:48 PM
I have one of the worse astigmatism case my eye doctor has seen. When I was a child (before glasses, I did not get them until I was 20) I would get carsick just riding to the grocery store.....so bad that I would throw up. Once it got corrected, that all stopped. One of the major causes of motion/car sickness is astigmatism.

bhaggerty
June 18th, 2016, 01:35 AM
So glad you were able to help her out!!!!!

peggiep
June 18th, 2016, 07:57 AM
Your granddaughter looks lovely in the glasses. So glad that she has a caring grandmother in her life! Good for you for stepping in, some grandparents would be afraid it was interfering.

Patsquilting
June 18th, 2016, 08:49 AM
Good Job - Grandma!!

MRoy
June 18th, 2016, 09:03 AM
She's a cutie in her new glasses! Way to go Grandma!

Pandabear
June 18th, 2016, 11:34 AM
First off, grandbaby is a cutie!!! She's adorable in her new glasses.

My son is colorblind, if you need any pointers. He's 17 and also can not 'see' red/green. Actually all dark colors are just shades of gray to him.

Really though, the kids adjust very well doing what they need to do.

Fun fact! When you're a young boy who is colorblind (we found out when he was 4) and go to school you learn very quickly to ask the girls which colors are which because your guys friends lie.

SallyO'Sews
June 18th, 2016, 12:31 PM
What a cutie! Well done, Grandmother.

songbird857
June 18th, 2016, 02:05 PM
LIKE!!
Good catch :-)

ceiliam
June 18th, 2016, 03:26 PM
Good job grandma, how lucky she is to have you.
Thanks for the information explains why I used to get so carsick.

GuitarGramma
June 19th, 2016, 12:40 AM
My husband had a similar reaction to glasses when he got them at age 13. He and his mom left the eye doctor, walking towards the car, and she eventually said, "Son, why are you dawdling?" He said, "Mom, I can read the signs."

His mom felt so bad that she hadn't known he needed glasses so badly. She felt awful.

The funny thing is, his batting average took a nose dive and never recovered. Apparently, the baseball coming towards him always looked like a giant fuzz ball, and he would just aim in the middle. His glasses ruined his baseball dreams. :icon_shake:

bubba
June 19th, 2016, 02:16 AM
Alex (9 year old grandgirl) and Ashtyn (10 year old grandboy) were together today. Later, I asked Ashtyn what he thought of Alex's glasses. He said they were nice. I asked him if he had tried them on and he looked at me shyly and said that yes, he had. He then said he could see perfectly thru them and didn't know what she needed glasses for. Now I think he might too!

Alex's mom today told me as they walked out of the eyeglass place that Alex was also walking slow. Then she started singing at the top of her lungs 'I can see clearly now the rain is gone!!'. That kid cracks me up at times.

Maureenh
June 19th, 2016, 03:34 AM
I had twins in my class. The nurse did an eye check and found one needed glasses. Mum took both to the optician who found the other twin's eyesight to be worse. They were amazed and excited at seeing their first aeroplane in the sky . None of use know what another sees and children need watching to even how they hold their head when reading.
Glad you solved the problem.

judimccl
June 19th, 2016, 07:15 PM
I am so glad to read that you took her in and had her vision checked. You have opened up a whole new world to her that she can "see!" :icon_wave:

WendyI
June 21st, 2016, 03:19 PM
She's so lucky to have a grandma who would do this for her. She's so sweet!!

Vonnie
June 22nd, 2016, 11:05 PM
Grands to the rescue!

My oldest brother did not know he was partially color blind until he joined the army. He could not tell brown from green. Luckily traffic lights are also red and yellow so the other color meant "GO"!

Since color blindness runs in my family we had our kids tested at a young age - thankfully they can see all the colors. Although I tell my DH that he is color insensitive!

bubba
June 22nd, 2016, 11:33 PM
I learned yesterday that only about one female in two hundred is color blind......crazy.