PDA

View Full Version : I am very angry...

easyquilts
June 15th, 2016, 07:01 PM
I'm so angry I don't know what to do with myself..... Angry that a sweet little boy dude a horrifying death.....witnessed by his parents...all within a few steps of Disney's most exprndive hotel.... Surely, that family..who had traveled from .nebraska, had an expectation of safety...after all.... It was Mivue Nught at their luxurious Disney hotel... Everyone was having a good time...

No one thought to warn the family...or anyone else....that a very large, deadly predator coukd be lurking so near.... There were signs prohibiting swimming, and indeed, no one was swimming....just wading in what...in Nebraska... would have been a safe place...just getting their feet wet....

It came from out if nowhere...,and within the blink of an eye,...lives were changed forever... A mother and father saw their previous baby in the powerful jade of a monster.... Their efforts to save him were futile.... Lane wad gone.

Floridians are well aware of the danger posed by alligators....I lived there for neatly two years, and understand this....but tourists....often coming from the Nirth.... Usually have no clue as to how dangerous any body of water can be... I heard a report today, stating thst there are well over a million aligators in Florida,mind that they are in every body of water....

Surely ne should be safe on a Disney property.... Anyone would think so... Certainly the Graves thought nothing if wading in ankle deep water.....enjoying a fine summer evening.... There were no hotel employees there to warn them away, or signs that warned of aligators.... No one at this lovely resort ever warns patrons that danger lurks in the beautiful lagoon....

Well.... Everyone knows now.... A grieving family will return to Nebraska a family of three, instead if the four thst came to Florida..... Looking forward to a wonderful time together... It never should have happened.. Never...

grammaterry
June 15th, 2016, 07:32 PM
No, it should not have happened. This Disney mania that the country has gotten itself in (including all of my children taking their children there for a vacation). What ever happened to seeing the country. Taking a long car drive with your family, stopping at roadside hotels when you get tired , seeing the sites advertised as you go instead of thinking all of your needs need to be handled by one place. Sure, its magical...but for a family of 4...a minimum of 4 grand some times up to 10. What in the world are we thinking...do people just have too much money. Its like cruises...sure they are fun to experience, but having all of your time planned by someone else just seems so uncreative. This accident won't change anyones plans. They will just think the parents weren't paying attention...kind of like the zoo incident.

Midge
June 15th, 2016, 07:42 PM
I agree grammaterry. Disney is a totally artifical environment and bears no relationship to the real country we live in. Yet the kids and parents (and I made a few trips there in years past myself) are relentlessly marketed this place as a destination. I was so happy when my son and his friends were past that age and we started traveling abroad instead. I think it does create a false illusion of safety just like cruises do - how many people fall off the decks of cruise ships, and how many spend their cruise time with a norovirus infection. UGH. We live in the natural world, and we can't get away from that fact. To all the folks who have loved ones planning a Florida trip, please tell them the gators are everywhere, and I do mean everywhere. Just like the snakes. And the other critters.

shirleyknot
June 15th, 2016, 07:56 PM
No, it should not have happened. This Disney mania that the country has gotten itself in (including all of my children taking their children there for a vacation). What ever happened to seeing the country. Taking a long car drive with your family, stopping at roadside hotels when you get tired , seeing the sites advertised as you go instead of thinking all of your needs need to be handled by one place. Sure, its magical...but for a family of 4...a minimum of 4 grand some times up to 10. What in the world are we thinking...do people just have too much money. Its like cruises...sure they are fun to experience, but having all of your time planned by someone else just seems so uncreative. This accident won't change anyones plans. They will just think the parents weren't paying attention...kind of like the zoo incident.

What gets me along with this is those same families who spend those monstrous sums of money on a trip like this, go home and complain they don't make enough to live on. I know a few on government help just so they can go to Dizzyland.

Hulamoon
June 15th, 2016, 08:13 PM
I agree it's a sad story. But they were out there at night with do not swim signs placed around the property. Do not swim signs are everywhere here in Hawaii, but people just don't read them. We have the worst drowning rate of any island in the state. Is it Kauai's fault?

Midge
June 15th, 2016, 08:23 PM
What gets me along with this is those same families who spend those monstrous sums of money on a trip like this, go home and complain they don't make enough to live on. I know a few on government help just so they can go to Dizzyland.

Don't complain if you haven't turned them in for welfare fraud.

shirleyknot
June 15th, 2016, 09:06 PM
I tried. So, do I get to complain or is it ok if I just state a fact?

auntiemern
June 15th, 2016, 09:07 PM
As most of you know...we (my DD and DGK's and I) just went to Disney World. i would have never let them get anywhere near any body of water, that the bottom was not crystal clear. I am not blaming the parents...That is a nightmare that no parent should have to go through...but let's be realistic. Everyone knows, or should know of the dangers of alligators in Fl. Unless they never watch any kind of nature shows or even the news. Yes in ANY body of water, in FL, there is a high potential of there being alligators in it. There were NO SWIMMING signs posted...as in don't go in the water. (Shark attacks usually happen is less than 3 ft of water). Is Disney to blame...I don't think so...they look for alligators in all of their resorts continuously. Alligators travel and feed at night...so no matter how well you search and look, it does not mean you are going to see every one of them. That is a BIG lake...they have found and euthanized 5 other alligators in that lake while searching. Realistically the only thing Disney could do, would be to drain and fill in every body of water on all of their properties. I don't think they should have to. It was dark and they were walking in the water...not the brightest thing in the world to do in FL. It doesn't really matter that they were at an expensive resort vs a less expensive one. It could have happened at any one of them.
As far as people spending thousands of dollars for a planned vacation...that is of no concern to anyone either. If you work hard for your $ and that is what you want to do with it...then who is anyone else to tell them that it is not right. I spend my money the way I want, without guilt, because it isn't what someone else though I should do with it...that is just plain rude to even say that. Unless someone else is supporting me, or paying my bills...don't complain about how I choose to spend my $. And yes we are planning a cruise next year. All inclusive make more financial sense to me...js.

Kgrammiecaz
June 15th, 2016, 09:17 PM
I have to agree with Marilyn completely. There is water everywhere you go here. Why would you even think it is okay to go in water with posted signs to NOT go in the water. My heart breaks for those parents. This is a horrible incident. But it was preventable. It was a horrid accident. But Disney is not at fault.

I am a theme park junkie and a cruise junkie. Love them. I also love camping which we do when we can and we love to explore different areas of the US. Marilyn said it best, unless you are paying my bills stay out of my finances.

However, yes I would turn someone in for welfare fraud if I had information to provide, doesnt mean anything will be done about it.

Sandy, I too am angry this happened to that little boy and his family. We just need to be angry at the right people. However, I respect your rught to feel as you do.

easyquilts
June 15th, 2016, 09:41 PM
I agree it's a sad story. But they were out there at night with do not swim signs placed around the property. Do not swim signs are everywhere here in Hawaii, but people just don't read them. We have the worst drowning rate of any island in the state. Is it Kauai's fault?

They weren't just out wandering around... It was Movue Night... Movies were shown outdoors... It's a thing they fo.

And.. No one was swimming.... They were merely wetting their feet... You can't blame the victims...

easyquilts
June 15th, 2016, 09:44 PM
I have to agree with Marilyn completely. There is water everywhere you go here. Why would you even think it is okay to go in water with posted signs to NOT go in the water. My heart breaks for those parents. This is a horrible incident. But it was preventable. It was a horrid accident. But Disney is not at fault.

I am a theme park junkie and a cruise junkie. Love them. I also love camping which we do when we can and we love to explore different areas of the US. Marilyn said it best, unless you are paying my bills stay out of my finances.
Yay
However, yes I would turn someone in for welfare fraud if I had information to provide, doesnt mean anything will be done about it.

Sandy, I too am angry this happened to that little boy and his family. We just need to be angry at the right people. However, I respect your rught to feel as you do.

Signs said no swimming .... They weren't swimming... Just wading in the edge of the water,,,where someone from Nebrraska would feel safe... No.. I won't blame the victims... They weren't doing anything wrong....and when you consider where they were from, they were doing something natural for them.

grammaterry
June 15th, 2016, 09:51 PM
I tried. So, do I get to complain or is it ok if I just state a fact? I have called DSS several times in my life about people abusing the system. Once my sil was on the receiving end, living with parents and a baby. They didn't need the money. I called (1969) and was told that she had the right to get the money. I offered to pay her the amount they were getting but was turned down. I worked 3 jobs and was going to school full time. The system is corrupt. I must say, I don't care how you spend your money...I just marvel at the choices people make for little ones that won't remember much anyway.

Hulamoon
June 15th, 2016, 09:54 PM
It was a movie night on the beach and the child wandered away to the water. It's not anyone's fault, just a bad set of circumstances.

K. McEuen
June 15th, 2016, 09:56 PM
Any body of water I have been to with posted "No swimming" signs have been enforced to include not being in the water at all. If the authorities catch you, you are ticketed and fined. That said, even people from Nebraska should know that there are gators in Florida waters unless they have been living in a cave. It is sad that the attack on the child happened, but to hold Disney at fault isn't right either.

shirleyknot
June 15th, 2016, 10:00 PM
I have called DSS several times in my life about people abusing the system. Once my sil was on the receiving end, living with parents and a baby. They didn't need the money. I called (1969) and was told that she had the right to get the money. I offered to pay her the amount they were getting but was turned down. I worked 3 jobs and was going to school full time. The system is corrupt. I must say, I don't care how you spend your money...I just marvel at the choices people make for little ones that won't remember much anyway.

LIKE!! And in a lot of cases, it isn't for the little ones. Its for bragging rights.

JCY
June 15th, 2016, 10:28 PM
On the news tonight, they mentioned there are lakes & canals winding all around that Disney park. The alligators can move from one to the next. It's very sad. I can see both sides of the situation.

There are unknown risks to tourists many places. I used to live on the Oregon coast. People get stranded all the time because they wander too far at low tide, then get caught after the tide comes in & have to be rescued off the cliffs. In Colo. the mountains are a risk for high altitude sickness and changeable, cold weather, even snow storms, at the higher elevations. People need to be informed of the environments to which they travel & recreate.

kaydee
June 15th, 2016, 10:34 PM
There is a doctrine in the law called The Attractive Nuisance Doctrine. Under this doctrine:

if your property contains items that both draw children in and threaten them with harm, the law places a special responsibility on you to take steps to protect the children who may come onto your property.

Typically, the attractive nuisance doctrine has three components:

The law doesn't expect children to fully comprehend the dangers they may face
If a property owner has reason to believe that children might come onto their property, the law places a special responsibility on them to prevent harm
If an owner fails to meet this responsibility, they will most likely be held liable for the child's injuries.

http://realestate.findlaw.com/owning-a-home/dangers-to-children-attractive-nuisances.html

Note that this law even applies to children who may be trespassing on your property.

When I heard about this case, I could not believe that Disney would have a beach cozying up to a lake that contains alligators. My gawd, of course any child is going to want to splash in the water. And the "No Swimming" signs do not cut it. That sign does not in any way sufficiently warn anyone of the danger of walking shin-deep in water in this location.

As to the idea that anyone should have known there were alligators, well, sorry, I would NEVER think that Disney would have a beach next to a lake with alligators. I associate alligators with swamps and bayous and the like, not with a lake surrounded by a resort designed to attract children and their families.

Unless Disney had warning signs about the possibility of alligator attacks, they should and will pay big $$.

seaturtle
June 15th, 2016, 11:01 PM
There is a doctrine in the law called The Attractive Nuisance Doctrine. Under this doctrine:

http://realestate.findlaw.com/owning-a-home/dangers-to-children-attractive-nuisances.html

Note that this law even applies to children who may be trespassing on your property.

When I heard about this case, I could not believe that Disney would have a beach cozying up to a lake that contains alligators. My gawd, of course any child is going to want to splash in the water. And the "No Swimming" signs do not cut it. That sign does not in any way sufficiently warn anyone of the danger of walking shin-deep in water in this location.

As to the idea that anyone should have known there were alligators, well, sorry, I would NEVER think that Disney would have a beach next to a lake with alligators. I associate alligators with swamps and bayous and the like, not with a lake surrounded by a resort designed to attract children and their families.

Unless Disney had warning signs about the possibility of alligator attacks, they should and will pay big $$.

The attractive nuisance laws generally apply to trespassers, not invitees. And those laws are not the same for every state. If I have an unfenced swimming pool in my yard and a trespassing kid drowns in it, I could be held liable. Not sure about FL.

There are "ferae naturae" laws on the books in FL which say that the land-owner is not responsible for the actions of wild animals that wander onto their property that do harm. The alligator is native to FL, definitely wild, and they wonder all over the place down there.

Which set of laws apply and what the outcome is remains to be seen. I think the time for legal debate, criticism, and anger will come, but right now, those parents need to be covered in prayer.

kaydee
June 15th, 2016, 11:14 PM
Cindy, arguably he was tresspassing in the lake if there was a "no swimming" sign. And yes, there are attractive nuisance laws in Florida.

Should a court find he was not trespassing (in the water), then Disney will go down on simple negligance claims. The family should have been warned of the possibility of alligator attacks.

Disney will settle this for a lot of money.

RiverMomm
June 15th, 2016, 11:43 PM
Oh, Sandy, I agree with you! The child wasn't swimming, he was at the edge of a man made sandy beach wading in very shallow water WITH his parents. A lot of people tend to take posted signs literally-"no swimming" means don't go swimming. "Stay out of water" means no wading. Parents go to child friendly resorts thinking "child friendly" means safe. I guess we all learned that isn't always so. Florida has a lot more dangers than areas in the north. Some of those dangers are snakes, alligators, panthers, insects of all sorts (don't even get me started on the joys of fire ants), and sharks. I now live where there are no poisonous snakes, no alligators, and no fire ants.

Folks who are judging these parents are being so harsh. I know it's the world of the internet but please . . . ‪#‎judgelesspraymore‬

If you have access to facebook, this post explains the setting perfectly. https://www.facebook.com/jennifer.venditti.18/posts/10154371872047147

kaydee
June 16th, 2016, 12:11 AM
Florida has a lot more dangers than areas in the north. Some of those dangers are snakes, alligators, panthers, insects of all sorts (don't even get me started on the joys of fire ants), and sharks. I now live where there are no poisonous snakes, no alligators, and no fire ants.]

It's not just us northerners. Disney entices visitors from all over the world, most of whom would not know of the dangers that lurk in that "lake". There should have been warnings. Frankly, there shouldn't even be a beach. I just saw an alligator expert on TV and he said he would not even sit on that sandy beach with a small child.

stationarymom
June 16th, 2016, 02:19 AM
They held the movies on the beach last night.I don't understand why there were no signs to warn people that the waters and the grounds could have alligators especially at night.I know here in New England when the sharks have been spotted there are signs posted to warn people and the beaches will be cleared.This was such a horrible tragedy,these poor parents will never get that image out of their head.

Suzette
June 16th, 2016, 08:57 AM
I think there is more than enough blame to go around here. Perhaps Disney could have done a better job of ensuring the safety of their guests, and you could easily argue that the parents should not have let their child go into water (not even to wade) with a 'no swimming' warning posted. It was a heads-up that there was a danger somewhere in that water and it was not heeded.

But in the end, a child is dead, there has been the unnecessary slaughter of several alligators, and the parents will grieve and blame themselves for the rest of their lives. It's all just heartbreaking no matter who you lay the blame on.

WendyI
June 16th, 2016, 10:42 AM
I have to say as someone who has visited this resort and myself put my feet in that very water on that very stretch of sand, that I am of the opinion that Disney is definitely responsible here. As a Canadian, it never even crossed my mind for a single second that there would be alligators in that body of water. We don't have alligators here! And in man made bodies of water, I don't expect to find predators. There was not one single sign telling me of the potential dangers of alligators. Not one single time did anyone warn us of that potential danger. I thought nothing of dipping my feet in the water. That could easily have been my son as he was 10 at the time and right beside me. I'm horrified for this family. I feel that they were doing only what is natural for them to do without enough information to make safe choices. If Disney doesn't like the advertising of DANGER ALLIGATOR signs, then they need to do more to remove the animals humanely or stopping them entirely before they enter their waterways in the first place.

That being said I did read a report that the toddler was in the water by himself which I don't really understand. Why was the parent not holding their hand?

kaydee
June 16th, 2016, 12:57 PM
Wendy, his dad wasn't too far from him, because he struggled with the alligator.

That alligator expert I referenced earlier said there is no man alive that would have enough strength to open the jaws of an adult alligator.

I actually have a personal pet peeve with Disney and it's treatment of dangerous wild animals in it's films. I think they humanize these characters in films, and the children do not sense any danger. For example, the little boy who wanted to swim with the gorilla. At age four, that little guy should have had a healthy respect for the danger of that animal. I think if Disney put signs up that said "Danger, Alligators" you'd have little kids wading in to pet them because they have misconceptions about the dangers -- because of the way they are portrayed in Disney (and other animated) films.

I feel so bad for this family, and cannot imagine the agony they are going through. And I'm sure the people at Disney are suffering, too.

jjkaiser
June 16th, 2016, 01:27 PM
I am saddened by this whole thing but I am even more surprised at the number of responses here on the Forum. I have been to Disney a few times but living in Wisconsin I did not realize till this incident how common gators are all over Florida. It is just something that is not common knowledge if you don't live there. I was also astounded to learn (on here) that gators can be found in man made lakes, something that completely surprised me. And many people may not know that either. So IMO Disney is somewhat responsible in not alerting the public that gators are everywhere and you are especially at risk at night. I think we have all learned alot from this.

tsladaritz
June 16th, 2016, 01:37 PM
There is so much information floating around right now on this subject. I see bits and pieces all over.
The facts and emotions are not always going to mesh.
Facts I have heard but am no expert so can not claim are 100% accurate.

Both parents were with him at the shoreline and the father did try to free him.
Disney sweeps for gators regularly (never heard of this but makes sense) but has no signs on this area about gators.
Not everyone realizes gators can get in these areas (I didn't, even though I knew gators were rampant in Florida)
Because Disney has a sign stating Do Not Swim they may not be in the clear as legal wording has to be very exact to exclude you from any blame
This is not the first time it has happened. There is a report from many years ago of it happening
Gators can and will travel across land to other bodies of water (I never considered how far they may go to do this)
Gators are territorial and therefore trying to relocate does not always works- they will come right back. They have to be killed if it is an area they need to definitely be out of.
Once a gator is larger and willing to attack people, it has to be killed as it will do it again (makes sense to me)

We would kill a dog if it did this. I am shocked to hear a few people say relocate the gators. Really??
I agree with others in that you expect safety at a resort for families with small children. You pay premium to BE at a resort where you think you are safe. Yes accidents happen, but having kids around water is dangerous and an accident waiting. It requires extra vigilance, which I don't think was exhibited here. If they need people to completely stay out of water, they need to state that. If they are not child friendly, they need to state that. If they are only dangerous at night, then they need to state that. People all over the world travel there and because they are not camping, hiking, or biking they think they are in a safe environment where they paid for the ability to relax and not worry. They don't think they need to study and learn all about the dangers of that state or city. They don't think they need to worry about wild animals either. That option is gone now.

shirleyknot
June 16th, 2016, 03:09 PM
An armed guard watching over those sheep would help too.....even if its only a massive tranq

jjkaiser
June 16th, 2016, 05:10 PM
Just wondering--if you live in Florida and have a swimming pool in your back yard would an alligator try to go in the pool? Is that why people put fences around them?

CraftyJnet
June 16th, 2016, 05:10 PM
Why would Disney create a man-made lake that would attract alligators and children?
Why would Disney hold a movie showing at night next to a lake that might contain an alligator?
There is a HUGE difference between a "no swimming" sign and a "Stay away - beware of alligators" sign.

As a parent, I would expect Disney to create a safe environment. If they can't do that, then proper signage is the least I would expect.

Lilly
June 16th, 2016, 05:16 PM
So I'm not from Florida. Took the kids to DW 20 years ago. Could have been us. Question: Can't those gators walk on the paths just as easily as swim in the canals? Why are the signs only for swimming in the lakes or canals? Can't - and don't - those gators walk anywhere they please on the Disney property? Also, Shouldn't they have the lakes fenced in? I'm trying to understand the scope of this danger.

K. McEuen
June 16th, 2016, 06:21 PM
Just wondering--if you live in Florida and have a swimming pool in your back yard would an alligator try to go in the pool? Is that why people put fences around them?

I have a friend that lives in Florida, right on a lake. They also have a swimming pool. Most people fence a pool for safety reasons, as almost all insurance companies and city ordinances require it. In Florida it serves that purpose as well as keeping the gators out. If someone happens to leave the gate open or they use the wrong fencing (like wide spaced wrought iron), a gator can still get in.

shirleyknot
June 16th, 2016, 06:57 PM
Question: Can't those gators walk on the paths

Yes, actually. They ain't too slow, either.

RiverMomm
June 16th, 2016, 06:59 PM
Why would Disney create a man-made lake that would attract alligators and children?
Why would Disney hold a movie showing at night next to a lake that might contain an alligator?
There is a HUGE difference between a "no swimming" sign and a "Stay away - beware of alligators" sign.

As a parent, I would expect Disney to create a safe environment. If they can't do that, then proper signage is the least I would expect.

The beach with sand was man made but the pond wasn't. And the pond is connected to other waterways.

Apparently, in the past Disney did remove alligators from the waterways/ponds so at least they were trying. I guess what bothers me the most is that there should have been signs warning of the danger and there shouldn't have been activities in that area encouraging families to linger-such as benches, towels, and white fluffy sand.

I still remember being told over and over as a small child not to get close to the edge of the ponds on my grandfather's property in south Florida, as well as not to play under the bushes. On hot day, I did decided to play in the cool shade under the bushes right beside the backdoor and had a pretty close encounter with a really large rattler.

Bneighbor
June 16th, 2016, 08:14 PM
Sympathy for the family.
I think the signs should be be more specific, stating not to even think about entering the water.
Disney will not take responsibility for this, they will deny fault or pay off the family to hide their fault.
We went to DW once....never again. I was having my picture taken with one of the characters and was asulted by that character. Disney denies it happened, even with several witnesses.
Not a happy place for many people.

Cool Breeze Quilter
June 17th, 2016, 10:38 AM

Yes and yes. Gators can climb a 5 foot fence and they do manage to get into swimming pools.

Cool Breeze Quilter
June 17th, 2016, 10:53 AM
I think there is more than enough blame to go around here. Perhaps Disney could have done a better job of ensuring the safety of their guests, and you could easily argue that the parents should not have let their child go into water (not even to wade) with a 'no swimming' warning posted. It was a heads-up that there was a danger somewhere in that water and it was not heeded.

But in the end, a child is dead, there has been the unnecessary slaughter of several alligators, and the parents will grieve and blame themselves for the rest of their lives. It's all just heartbreaking no matter who you lay the blame on.

I agree with everything you have said. A sweet baby is gone and things will never be the same again for this family. The best we can do now is learn from this tragedy and prevent this from happening to another sweet, innocent child.

I've lived in FL for 20 years. I don't expect people that aren't from around here to understand that gators do go into waters that are manmade. When we first moved here I expected them to be in lakes and ponds. Not man made ponds that have been created on the sides of the roads, or in parks, golf courses, or swimming pools. We have built up around them and then don't understand this.

June is mating season for gators. They are territorial and aggressive during mating season. This is the time of year to avoid areas where gators are and people up north have no way of knowing this. How would they? Even some folks living here don't know it.

I was shocked when we first moved here to see signs that said "Please don't feed the alligators." A sign is needed to tell people this? You might think common sense would prevail but yes the signs are necessary. What happens when the food runs out? Even worse this is how gators lose their natural fear of people. Once they have associated people with food and have lost their fear they will go after a child, even if it is in a stroller. They often will go after dogs too.

shirleyknot
June 17th, 2016, 11:30 AM
Would THIS make you absolve Disney from blame?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/disney-warned-alligators-one-went-062835940

WendyI
June 17th, 2016, 11:39 AM
Would THIS make you absolve Disney from blame?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/disney-warned-alligators-one-went-062835940

I'm not sure what we're looking at here??

WendyI
June 17th, 2016, 11:43 AM
That alligator expert I referenced earlier said there is no man alive that would have enough strength to open the jaws of an adult alligator.

I don't know how I know this but I know if you are attacked by a gator you're supposed to go for their eyes...stick your thumbs right in. That will often make them let go.

So very tragic for this poor family. My heart breaks for them. :'(

shirleyknot
June 17th, 2016, 11:49 AM
Well, darn! Wonder what happened there. It was an article about a previous attack on a child at the same spot, and those in charge stating the alligators were harmless pets.

WendyI
June 17th, 2016, 12:11 PM
Well, darn! Wonder what happened there. It was an article about a previous attack on a child at the same spot, and those in charge stating the alligators were harmless pets.

Is this he headline? Man seized by Disney gator in '86 horrified for boy's family

Cool Breeze Quilter
June 17th, 2016, 12:22 PM

I didn't see the article. But yesterday I was talking with someone about this and they said it is not the first time this has happened at Disney. This person couldn't remember the details because it was a while back.

When we lived in a different part of FL we were walking by a lake (natural not man made) and saw a gator, who looked like a log at first. I called town officials thinking that they would remove the gator (it was in a residential neighborhood.) I had this silly notion that they could remove the gator and bring it to the Everglades. That would take more time and money than they were willing to spend. They did nothing. And usually nothing happens as far as attacks go which is great ... until it does happen. I don't think the gators should be destroyed but brought to a location like the Everglades where there are no people. I also think that signs should be up warning people of the danger in all public places. I don't know why during mating season areas aren't blocked off and signs put up telling people to stay away.

A gator can outrun a horse for short distances (a mile or 2.) But a gator can't turn quickly when it is running. So if someone finds a gator running towards them run in a zig zag pattern. They won't be able to keep up.

easyquilts
June 17th, 2016, 01:41 PM

Oh, yes.,, you have to guard against large snakes, too.....

shirleyknot
June 17th, 2016, 01:59 PM
The gist of the article I tried to post

In a conversation with CBS News, a San Diego attorney named David Hiden said he notified a manager at the Coronado Springs Resort — part of the the Orlando Disney World complex — in April 2015 after an alligator “rapidly” came after his son, who was wading in the hotel’s lagoon.

“And the response, I couldn’t believe it,” he said in the interview. According to Hiden, the manager replied, “Those are resident pets, and we’ve known about them for years. And they’re harmless, they’re not going to attack anybody.”

Hiden said: “I said, ‘I hope I’m wrong, but at some point, I bet I’m going to read about you guys where one of your resident pets killed somebody. And I hope to god it never happens because it’s gonna be on your shoulders.'”

easyquilts
June 17th, 2016, 02:04 PM
I have to say this..... We lived in Florida fir about eighteen months..... I have never lived in a place where you are immediately told not to leave your dmsll children, or pets alone outside...... Where we were told, by the police, not to walk in the neighborhood at night, where there was a large cat in our backyard.....where our small dog neatly died, oh from an attack of fire ants...

A large black snake lived under a bush in our bavk yard....and my husband....an electrician/carpenter....ran into at least five rattlers on the job.

My husband went fishing, one day, and stripped on a "log"...which turned out to be an alligator...

Shortly after we left, a child was killed by fire ants....

Let's just say that we were very hsppy to return to Cincinnati....

I really think most people, who are vacationing in a Disney hotel, should...and do....have an expectation of safety from predators, Dutch as aligators..... Most wouodn' even thunk about aligators being present in a body of wAter near a luxury hotel...

Floriduans know better, but tourists often do not..... Most have had no experience with such things..... Dipping ine's feet into pretty lake or pond.....especially one so near one's hotel......seems like a perfectly reasonable thung to fo, on a warm cummerbund evening...esoevialky if you are nit from the south.....

It's not enough to put up a simple No Swimming sign..... The sigh age needs to be specific, in this instance...... Clearly stating that there are dangerous aligators in the water....and that they will come to the shire....

I was nit there...but my imagination keeps playing that horrific scene, in my head..... This family will never fully recover from the trauma it has suffered.....needlessly.....

kensington
June 17th, 2016, 10:56 PM
They weren't just out wandering around... It was Movue Night... Movies were shown outdoors... It's a thing they fo.

And.. No one was swimming.... They were merely wetting their feet... You can't blame the victims...

They ignore the signs and walked and splashed in the water... that gets the gators attention. Were in the water past their ankles. The Movie Screen is up on the lawn where everyone lays out blankets and sits.

If they had not been near or splashing in the water... it would not have happened. The gator does what a gator naturally does. Which is sad. The poor baby is gone and the parents have to live without him. It's so sad.

This has only happened once before... in the late 70's... A older boy and his sibs were playing at the edge of one of the bodies of water, splashing and throwing rocks. When the gator came up out of the water and grabbed his leg. His brother, sister and he fought off the gator... he spent a week in the hospital and still has the scars on his leg.

In the last few years the gator population has been growing at a rapid pace... who ever watches that and documents the figures should have warned Disney to do something. Most of the people who work at Disney are Teenagers... tons of them. I was at the Grand Floridian this year and ate dinner... walked back to the water to ride the boat to my hotel after dark. My daughter and her family stayed there for a week too. I am not someone who thinks we need to protect the gators. Oh Heck No... especially when their population is growing so fast.

easyquilts
June 17th, 2016, 11:03 PM
The gist of the article I tried to post

Oh, my, God....and I mean that reverently....

easyquilts
June 17th, 2016, 11:06 PM
They ignore the signs and walked and splashed in the water... that gets the gators attention. Were in the water past their ankles. The Movie Screen is up on the lawn where everyone lays out blankets and sits.

If they had not been near or splashing in the water... it would not have happened. The gator does what a gator naturally does. Which is sad. The poor baby is gone and the parents have to live without him. It's so sad.

What is sad is that they certainly would not have been wading in the lagoon if they had known the danger... No one in their right mind would deliberately out their child at such risk.... Once again, I refuse to blame the victims...

kensington
June 17th, 2016, 11:21 PM
What is sad is that they certainly would not have been wading in the lagoon if they had known the danger... No one in their right mind would deliberately out their child at such risk.... Once again, I refuse to blame the victims...

I'm not blaming the victims. I am noting that something like this was bound to happen. You have gators in a lagoon, people will ignore signs, and it's mating season. Even if they put up different signs... it could happen again. People ignore them. They need to destroy the gators in my humble opinion.