PDA

View Full Version : Grandson Update.

BobW
June 13th, 2016, 07:22 PM
Mark Jr has been up and around for a couple of days. He has been in a fairly good space today and was supposed to be discharged to go home.

The doctors wanted to change the pressure bandages on both hands. I guess I'm ahead of myself. The surgeons were able to save most of the right hand and the little finger and about an inch of the thumb on the left hand (kind of like pinchers). The doctors have been guarded at best about saving the hands. They have warned that if infection sets in or if the blood flow stops that the parts effected would have to be removed.

When they unwrapped the bandages, Mark Jr lost it emotionally, which I can understand. Refusing to go home because he was afraid of scaring his children with the monster look of his hands. And there are some spots on the left hand that concern the doctors about blood flow, so they ended up sedating him and keeping him.

It is going to be a long difficult road for them.

I'm hearing conflicting stories about how the accident happened. The original story was that it was a fire cracker. I was told by someone who has information that wasn't shared with me originally that Mark was excavating in a lot his company is bulding a new home on. He was running the bobcat or skid loader. He turned over what was an old stick of dynamite and lit the fuse and it blew up before he could drop it. I guess it doesn't do any good to say he should have known better (either fire cracker or dynamite). The doctors say the only thing that kept him from have problems with his eye sight is he was wearing sun glasses that were similar to safety glasses.

I'm trying to remember it could be so much worse, but it is so hard to keep that in mind.

I want to thank all my M* friends and family for the prayers and the positive thoughts, I can't help but know they are helping. Please keep them going as he learns to transition into his new reality. Even though we have our differences he is a fine young man with a good heart. He is a super-dad and even a pretty good husband.

You guys are the best people in the world for the love and care you so generously share and give to those who need it.

Suzette
June 13th, 2016, 07:35 PM
My heart just breaks for this young man. He - and all of you - will remain firmly in my prayers.

lovemyavy
June 13th, 2016, 07:56 PM
Continued prayers for Mark Jr.

Cokie
June 13th, 2016, 08:18 PM
He has been in my thoughts often the past few days, and I will continue to pray for him, for you, and for his family. Thank you for the update.

Monique
June 13th, 2016, 08:21 PM
How your life can change in a split second. He has indeed a long road ahead of him. May he find the strength he needs to overcome the challenges that lie ahead. Continued prayers.

seaturtle
June 13th, 2016, 08:26 PM
I have been thinking of you and your family often. I will continue to pray for him and his family.

pcbatiks
June 13th, 2016, 09:37 PM
Thank you for the update........thoughts and prayers are with him, his family and you too.

SallyO'Sews
June 13th, 2016, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the update, Bob. We will continue to pray.

auntiemern
June 13th, 2016, 11:10 PM
Thank you for the update. Explosives of any kind, even fireworks scare me. We didn't have them for years as kids because of a bad accident my dad had with them. Prayers continue for a good outcome, and that adjusting to his new normal will be easier than you hope for.

laura44
June 13th, 2016, 11:29 PM
Continued prayers.

Mom23
June 14th, 2016, 12:22 AM
"The surgeons were able to save most of the right hand and the little finger and about an inch of the thumb on the left hand (kind of like pinchers). "

Bob,

My husband lost 4 fingers on his left hand 34 years ago. They were able to reattach part of his pinky finger so his left hand is similar to Mark's. They did reattach the middle finger but it had to be removed one week later. He has as much strength in his left hand as his right, and there is very little he can't do. He will say the only thing he can't do is flip the bird with his middle finger. If Mark would ever want to talk to someone who has been through this let me know. I'm so thankful he still has his eyesight.

As always, Mark, and all my forum friends, are in my prayers.

Simply Quilting
June 14th, 2016, 12:35 AM
Bob, thank you for the update. Continued prayers for this young man and his family.

ceiliam
June 14th, 2016, 12:50 AM
Continued prayers for him you and your family

stationarymom
June 14th, 2016, 02:03 AM
Bob first let him know that his kids love him and just want him alive.The kids might be concerned at first but if he goes on and uses his hands to the best of his ability they will see that he is ok and that's what will matter.Continued prayers on their way.

GuitarGramma
June 14th, 2016, 02:38 AM
Bob, thank you so much for the update. I feel for your grandson. I'll be continuing my prayers for him.

Bjvarizona
June 14th, 2016, 02:42 AM
The kids will adjust faster than he will! Kids are strong that way. And I was so glad to hear that his eyes are okay. He should be able to get back to his regular life eventually. Hope he has a great crew in his business. All this is to say to you, hang in there, take care of yourself and remember we all love you!

Andrea F
June 14th, 2016, 04:44 AM
Sending good thoughts his way and hope he heals well.

Iris Girl
June 14th, 2016, 05:26 AM
Continued healing thoughts and well wishes for him, his family and you.

MayinJerset
June 14th, 2016, 08:15 AM
131866 BIG HUG FOR YOU BOB as you go through this ordeal from a distance and continued Prayers and Good Thoughts for your grandson and family.

Midge
June 14th, 2016, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the update, Bob. Good news that he still has vision. And of course he was distraught upon seeing the wounds for the first time. It will be a long road ahead, but there will be lots of rehab opportunities to help him function. It must be so hard for you to be on the outside when people you love are suffering. I hope you find an opportunity to send your grandson cards and your love at the very least.

geegeequilts
June 14th, 2016, 01:18 PM
Bob
Although some of us haven't had the pleasure of meeting you we feel as if we "know" you. Because you love someone & are concerned about the rift in your relationship with them, we can understand the pain you have with that rift. Just know we love the caring person you are & continue to pray for you & your family.

Gina

Dollyquilts
June 14th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the update on Mark Jr. Prayers continue for all of you.

Grandma G
June 14th, 2016, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the update, Bob. What a tragedy. I know it could have been worse but it is bad enough. Will continue prayers that it doesn't get worse.

mario1360
June 14th, 2016, 04:04 PM
prayers your way, sincerely.