PDA

View Full Version : Aggressiveness of Microsoft & Window's 10 !!!

JCY
June 11th, 2016, 10:41 AM
Anyone else having frustrations with all those pop-up boxes that want you to upgrade to Windows 10? I've consistently been x'ing out of them. However, yesterday when I was on the laptop, all my programs shut down & I got a msg. that it was going to install W10! I was unable to shut off the laptop in the usual way, so I hurriedly unplugged everything, then removed the battery so it wouldn't download W10. Today I got pop-up box that allowed no x'ing out at all. The options were to select a date between today & June 15, with a time, to allow the program to install! I am SO frustrated!!! I did not click on anything or confirm anything.

I did a Google search & found a technology lab article, "Microsoft's Windows 10 Push Is Effective, Damaging, & Deceptive." Right on! Other folks have reported that 10 started to download when they didn't approve of it. It looks like the only way to prevent the upgrade it to block it, but I'm not technologically savvy enough to know how to do that. I've sent e-m's to some of my computer expert friends. I'm waiting to hear back. I need to know ASAP how to block the installation of the upgrade to 10.

I currently have W7 & do not want 10. What are the rest of you experiencing? The last time we discussed this here, some of you were happy with 10; others weren't.

Thanks for any feedback.

peggiep
June 11th, 2016, 10:49 AM
I have Win10 and have had it since their first push last July. I initially had a few problems but those have been rectified and I now like Win 10. I do believe that it does change the way you do things, but, if you have some background in working with a computer, you get used to it quickly.
Good luck

grammaterry
June 11th, 2016, 11:14 AM
Go into your place on the computer and click on uninstall and see if it is there and then maybe you can uninstall whatever they have begun.

Bubby
June 11th, 2016, 11:46 AM
I left my laptop one day to take a phone call and when I came back Windows 10 had been installed. Eventually I came to where I had to click to accept the terms and I clicked on Do Not Accept. Then I clicked on uninstall Windows 10 and restore previous OS and it took 10-15 minutes for my old system to be restored. No further issues with them trying to cram it down my throat so far.

shirleyknot
June 11th, 2016, 11:48 AM
There's a simple fix for all that. Google 'never10', and download it. Its safe, and cleans all that out of your computer so win 10 has no tag to download to.

Vickie1965
June 11th, 2016, 11:53 AM
I, like you had been closing the boxes that came up about Windows 10, I didn't want it. One morning I walked away from the computer and when I came back it was installing it. I'm not happy how they went about doing it, but living with it. I mostly didn't like the start menu, but found a program for 5 bucks called Star Dock that puts it back to what it looked like in Windows 7. My biggest concerns were if my printer and embroidery programs would work with Windows 10. And since they do, I'm okay with it. Unfortunately, I'm of no help for you. I know there's a way to stop the installation, but you will need someone who has a lot of experience to pull it off.

Irene221b
June 11th, 2016, 01:21 PM
Microsoft needs to stop this forcing and auto install stuff. The more they annoy me, the less likely I am to continue with their products in the future. Now this auto install is way over the line.

Irene221b
June 11th, 2016, 01:57 PM
Did some quick reading, this may not be needed information but if it helps someone then that is good so here goes.

The Windows 10 update has been added to the recommended updates by microsoft. So if you have auto updates turned on for the recommended updates...you get Windows 10. It sounds like their moving windows 10 update from optional to recommended is a recent thing.

Midge
June 11th, 2016, 02:03 PM
When I bought my current laptop I went from Win7, that I loved, to Win 8.1, that I loathed. I too bought the StarDock Win start menu that changed the start back to what I preferred, the Win7 look. Now I have had Win10 almost from the beginning and while there are things I don't care for, I'm used to it, and it's OK. I will never say I love it, but at least it's functional for me. I am hard on laptops, so I was very hesitant to switch to iOS and buy a pricier laptop. For me it makes more sense to buy cheaper and then I don't cry so hard when I break it, lol. But then my son bought me an iPad, thus forcing me to change my set in stone ways! That was a learning curve too, but now I love the superior screen of the iPad.

Hulamoon
June 11th, 2016, 02:30 PM
I fought it and posted about it. But now I like it. I had to look for stuff in a different way which wasn't too bad. It organized all my pictures by date, only found that out this morning. It's like learning a new sewing machine, I'm still not used to my Cresendo. lol

shirleyknot
June 11th, 2016, 02:46 PM
I don't get enough bandwidth to play games online, and win10 took away all my favorite games. I can no longer find most of them to download either. I'm feeling REALLY hostile about that still.

JaniceR
June 11th, 2016, 03:46 PM
We went away for a few days and when we returned, Windows 10 (which I had continually turned down) was installed on my computer.

I researched how/why that happened and read an article online that Microsoft, in order to get people to install 10, unknowing to consumers, changed the meaning of the "x" (when you choose that thinking you are opting out) to meaning you are instead accepting it! Talk about frustrating and deceptive!! And apparently, according to the article, even though people are very angry because they think they are saying no, Microsoft won't be in trouble because what they did is not illegal, just extremely deceptive and frustrating! At least in my opinion it is!!

I am trying to get used to it because my husband is getting a new laptop and they all have 10 now. I do some work for him so I will have to learn it anyway. Still makes me angry though!!

snippet
June 11th, 2016, 07:42 PM
I have 10 on my laptop and I like it. Yes it is different from 7 but it didn't take me long to get it set up how I like it.

I understand why Microsoft is trying to get everyone on 10, it's a matter of lifecycle and end of support. With Windows being so very popular it is a target for hackers and viruses. When Windows ends support for a product, it is a good target for such evil doings. I've seen it a lot where systems are infiltrated because they didn't update their system. Microsoft is trying to protect you from that. And, of course, it keeps you in the Microsoft organization.

shirleyknot
June 11th, 2016, 07:56 PM
Not any more. I'm mad and going to a Macbook.

Lyndaj
June 11th, 2016, 08:22 PM
Another reason why I have an Apple.

Patsquilting
June 11th, 2016, 08:34 PM
OH, I am so glad I am not alone. I also kept declining to download - and one day - that's it - it did it all by itself. I am not happy but an trying to get used to it. Why can't they just leave things alone!!

MRoy
June 11th, 2016, 08:58 PM
I changed the settings on my desktop computer to stop automatic recommended downloads after reading that Windows 10 was going to be changed to a recommended download instead of optional. I have Win10 on my laptop, but the printer attached to my desktop PC is not compatible with Win 10 and, because of it's age, there are no updated drivers available for it.

mario1360
June 11th, 2016, 09:15 PM
this is a form of dictatorship or totalitarianism from Microsoft, they are very aggressive, they want to rule the world. You have 30 days to go back to your previous OS.

JCY
June 11th, 2016, 10:07 PM
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one having these problems. I'm going to our senior center's computer lab next week to get help from the expert coaches. A friend sent me a link to a web site that instructs how one can opt out permanently. I'm not sure I'm tech. savvy enough to do that w/o help. I certainly would not want my pic files organized by date. I use the pic icons so I can find my quilts & other pics easily, since I don't remember what dates I finished them. - LOL! - They better not mess with my pics!!!

Tracy14
June 11th, 2016, 10:08 PM
I have windows 7 on my laptop. Its good for me as I only do the basics on the internet. I brought the windows 7 disk and key number so I can put it on my laptop anytime if one day windows 10 gets loaded on my laptop. My daughters netbook automatically downloaded windows 10. Her netbook was a mess, it deleted some of her programs and she couldn't get onto the school network she needs to be on for wifi at school. My husband ended up deleting it and putting her old windows back on.

Hulamoon
June 11th, 2016, 10:16 PM
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one having these problems. I'm going to our senior center's computer lab next week to get help from the expert coaches. A friend sent me a link to a web site that instructs how one can opt out permanently. I'm not sure I'm tech. savvy enough to do that w/o help. I certainly would not want my pic files organized by date. I use the pic icons so I can find my quilts & other pics easily, since I don't remember what dates I finished them. - LOL! - They better not mess with my pics!!!

The pics are all sill where you left them. On the desk top there is a photo section that is done by date. You don't have to use it if you don't want too

easyquilts
June 11th, 2016, 11:43 PM
I gave my desktop...and my laptop to my grandson, Muchael... I use my trusty iPad, Buddy, fir everything.... But, I still get constant reminders to upgrade my operating system.... Same thing happens on my iPhobe... Drives me nuts....

Aussiejan
June 12th, 2016, 07:45 AM
I too was ambushed by Windows 10! My main complaint/frustration is that all of my pattern downloads no longer show a picture of the quilt, just a generic logo. Now I have to save an image and then download the pattern so that I can identify it easily! Very, very, very annoying and time consuming trying to find that pattern I did not label in detail.

Carlie Wolf
June 12th, 2016, 10:15 AM
I had the same problem a few months ago. It was a nighmare. I finally did find a place in the panel where I could turn off that notice but I don't remember where it was and it was totally an accident that I had found it in the first place. Initially though it did start to install it. I don't remember if it completely installed it or if I was able to get it to stop. I do think that I had to do a system recovery where I used a date prior to the install. The whole thing still makes me angry. More and more it seems that these program just take over your systems whether you want them or not.

Not too long ago, after thinking I disabled all that stuff and set all the setting to NOT install programs I had another occurance. This time it was after a security install which I thought was "safe". It changed all my setting and lo and behold there was Win 10 trying to install itself AGAIN. I got it to stop and then started an internet search to see if others were having this problem. They were and it said the cause was this particular security update. I set the system recovery to a date before I did the security update and that got rid of it. I no longer take for granted that I really can trust that a security update is essential.

I had used Mozilla Thunderfird's email program and browser but I discovered this type of thing happening with that when they updated. Settings were again being changed without my knowledge. Again I did another search to see if there were any connections between Mozilla and Microsoft and/or google. Apparently there are.

I can't tell you how much I hate the newer technologies. I use to be able to build my own computers, I ran my own server and provided internet and email to a clientele of about 300 and never had these problems. Now I can't even figure out my own computer systems. It's impossible to keep up with the changing technologies as they are out of date annually or sooner. Awful, awful, awful. I feel your pain JCY!

shirleyknot
June 12th, 2016, 12:01 PM
Again, download 'never10' and you will not be bothered with win10 again, unless you CHOOSE to.