PDA

View Full Version : Moving is for the birds!

Patsquilting
June 9th, 2016, 08:29 PM
Yes, we moved to a new house, new state 2 weeks ago. It was 7 weeks from putting old house on the market, closing on that house, buying new house and actually moving. It has been a whirlwind. We were in our old house for 28 years. We started packing the beginning of the year - NOW, until new (to us) house has been completely painted boxes sit everywhere - sewing machine is no where in site! Exciting it is - but OH, so exhausting! What happened to the energy I used to have when I was a few years younger. Hardest part is not being able to get to my sewing machine. Look out sewing world once all is up and running again - Just hope my energy level starts to improve.

lots2do
June 9th, 2016, 09:31 PM
Be kind to yourself. Moving and then reorganizing takes a real toll on us. We sold our house of twenty five years this past July and also downsized. It was a long time before I was able to sew. I really do sympathize with you. And if you are like me, you really want to do something even more when you can't! Good luck!

Just wanted to add that the new location is also another source of stress probably until you become more comfortable there. Are there any places where you can do handwork or knitting? Some libraries have groups. I found a few great groups at a yarn shop and two quilt shops in Florida where I could meet people. I have one here in Maine but hope to find another. Keep in touch -pm me if you'd like.

jjkaiser
June 9th, 2016, 09:45 PM
Yeah I have moved alot too, I told my kids, who are grown and out of the house, that this is it, last time, they bury me from here! It's probably actually a good thing you haven't located your sewing stuff yet, it's best to get the rest your house organized and boxes unpacked first. Then your reward sewing without a guilty conscience about all the other things related to moving that need your attention. Good luck in your new home, hope you will be very happy there!

carrie liz
June 10th, 2016, 07:06 AM
We close on a new house today. Our son and his wife will share the home with us as we have reached the stage where we need help. Downsizing is stressful. I have been working on my sewing room for weeks. The good part is we will be near family and still in a home rather than assisted living. Getting there is beyond what I can wrap my mind around. I hope my DDIL has some ideas.

Grandma Nan
June 10th, 2016, 09:12 AM
We are trying to downsize and have had our home for sale since March. Real estate is pretty slow here for homes like ours but we do have a showing this morning so I am hoping. Say a little prayer at 10 this morning that the people who visit love our home and my sewing room here as much as we do. It has been discouraging to wait, wait, wait but we know that the right person will eventually come along. So I just have to be patient.

Pat you will soon be settled and just think of the beautiful things you will be creating. Moving is not for the faint of heart. We actually like moving but each time we do I say ok, that was the last. But after two or three years I get itchy feet again (it has been over 4 years for this house) so you know I must have loved this house.

Good luck Carrie.

WendyI
June 10th, 2016, 10:21 AM
Uhg. I moved a year ago in May...downsized a lot, and STILL have multiple boxes that are not unpacked. Seriously I should just toss them! I mean if I haven't needed the stuff in them in a year....!?! Take your time, get your painting done, organize what is absolutely essential and don't stress about the rest. It will all get done in due course. At least that's what I keep telling myself!

Where did you move from and to?

grammaterry
June 10th, 2016, 10:53 AM
We've been in this old house for 35 yrs. We have 3 out buildings loaded with "stuff" and a small house where we just keep littering with more "stuff" Not like hoarder stuff, just stuff we use that entertain us. I can't even imagine how we could ever move. Bless you for the efforts of packing. It is 7 minutes to 10 am and I am putting out the vibes to your potential buyers. They will be there soon and you know what? They want this house to be the "one" too.

geegeequilts
June 10th, 2016, 02:50 PM
Wow!! We're supposed to sign with our realtor tomorrow afternoon to start our process of selling & buying new (to us as well) house. I hope our plans happen as fast as yours did! Not one to like dragging it out, lol. We were in our 1st house 25 yrs & are wanting to move to a smaller house payment (here 16 yrs).

So, congrats on the new house & maybe you'll find your sewing machine soon!

Gina

Claire Hallman
June 10th, 2016, 06:09 PM
I feel your pain. We just moved 3 weeks ago. I am still struggling to get things in real order. The sewing room is still a work in progress. I have moved from a basement room to a bedroom, nearly the same size but configured differently.
We put pegboard up today but did not have enough hardware so back to Lowe's for me later today.
I need some drapery rods, too. The living room draperies just lack the pleats being sewn in and the bedroom ones need the side hems done then the pleats. I really, really want this done but it just seems to be going so slowly. I don't know how many hardware store trips we have made, lots left to go.
But, and a big but the new house is so nice, no stairs, nice porch, I love it.

I hope your house sells, if not, get a St Joseph statue and bury him upside down in the yard. He helped us to sell ours within 10 days of his "burial".

jjkaiser
June 10th, 2016, 08:04 PM
Yes, incredibly our house sold just ten days after burying that statue, after being on the market for ten months!

Patsquilting
June 11th, 2016, 08:50 AM
thank you all. My house sold in 4 days, found a new house 7 days later, and closed 5 1/2 weeks on both houses. Moved from CT to TENN. Houses about the same sizes - Just retired - now on limited income and moved to a state that is a little more tax friendly. So far I love it here. Get to watch the sunrise from my deck each morning. It comes up between 2 mountain peaks - absolutely beautiful!! Only draw-back - LQS not as close to me as they were in CT. No problem - have car will travel!

Navy Wife
June 11th, 2016, 07:00 PM
I have no desire to move again. DH was in the Navy for 23 years, and we moved every 2 or 3 years. We've been in this one for 18 years , and I don't plan to leave it. I have a beautiful view of the Smoky Mountains, and quilt shop 2 miles away, and 5 more within 30 miles, and big city 10 miles away (Knoxville) with all kinds of shopping, a university with lots of plays, concerts, and the Lady Vols! Plus we are 5 minutes from the hospital...important when you are nearing 80!

Where in TN are you, Pat?

easyquilts
June 12th, 2016, 12:02 AM
When we were young, moving wad kind of snow adventure...fun, even.... We moved into this house in 2007... And I hope yo never have to pack up again! It wasn't an adventure, and it certainly wasn't fun.... Not in the same way, anyway.... No more!

lots2do
June 12th, 2016, 07:07 PM
Wow! There are a lot of us here that understand what you are going through! Find some little rewards to help you through the drudge part of unpacking etc. We started rearranging our boxes here and went through some today. We took a Netflix break to watch one of the shows we like as our reward.