PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Greetings & Today's DD - 6-4-16

JCY
June 4th, 2016, 03:19 PM
I didn't see where anyone started a post today. If so, I missed it. It's sunny here & already 85 deg. We've had 90 the past 2 days. I didn't sleep well last night because it was cloudy & didn't cool off per usual. Tonight's sleeping should be better. DH was able to muster enough energy to get into the attic & place the 20" box fan in the hall ceiling this a.m. I helped. We have an opening that we use every summer during the hot weather. The box fan works like an attic fan, but it's cheaper, & can be replaced if needed. In the cold months, the ceiling square is replaced & insulation placed over it.

I just took the 2nd loaf of spelt bread out of the oven. The house smells sooo good! I got an early start on it this morning so I'd be done by noon. This afternoon I'm going to a 60th wedding anniv. at my church. What a major accomplishment that is! He is a miraculous survivor of a terrible offensive during the Korean War. They both live in assisted living now, but still are together.

I took the pics of DH to my DVD expert yest. He will get them scanned into his computer over the next week. We'll meet again to decide on sequence, captions, & music. I'm glad to be getting this job done now. Maybe I should think about collecting pics of myself, too. It would save my kids having to do it.

Well, the greatest, Ali, has died. He really put boxing on the map. Also, a special forces crew from Ft. Carson, CO had to rescued yest. from Longs Peak in Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park. Two of the team got altitude sickness. Longs Peak is >14,000 ft. What was supposed to be a day climb ended up being an overnighter at the peak. Helicopters lifted them off the next morning.

I couldn't resist the DD today. I also ordered a charm pack & the JR of the same Forever Love line. I think this is Eleanor Burns' latest fabric line. She was talking about it on the video Sandy linked to this week. She also has a new book out.

Well, time to go fold the laundry. Maybe I'll get some sewing done yet later this afternoon. I've been in withdrawal while I've been working on this picture project. LOL

Cokie
June 4th, 2016, 07:27 PM
You've been much more industrious than I've been today! It's been raining all day and I've had a headache. DH and DS are both working tonight so I have the house to myself. Just took a break from working on some totebags to look for a quilting pattern for machine embroidery on them. Finished sewing the squares together and now I'm ready to cut the straps and bottom sections and start quilting on them. I have six in progress - waiting on fabric to finish up two of them but I can get going on the others. They are all for gifts, a couple for Christmas, so I'm getting a little headstart.

I got the DD today too and a couple pieces of yardage for a border and binding. I resisted for a while but made the mistake of going back to look again! I really like the reds in this line. Do you know what pattern you're going to use? I was thinking of a quick double-slice, but now I'm considering a large hexi design. However...I'd better finish my current project first.

JCY did you hear about the Thunderbird that crashed south of Colorado Springs? That was right up the road from my brother's house, maybe a mile and a half or so. Glad the pilot was able to eject safely and avoid the housing area right across the road. Scary! Glad those on Long's Peak were OK too. People don't realize how the altitude can affect your health.

Have a good weekend!

peggiep
June 4th, 2016, 09:04 PM
What a quiet day on the Forum today! Everyone must be very busy.

Drove an hour early this morning to watch the grandkids play soccer, only to find out that today was "picture day" so they didn't play! Oh well, we managed to give them each a hug before we went home.

Still have had no rain...the grass is scorched and it is only June! There is some in the forecast for tomorrow so we will see.

Just finished putting the final touches on my silhouette cat wall hanging - just have to bind it - and then started one of the three "Canada 150" projects. This one will be a travelling caddy for my most frequently used rulers. I will post a pic of both it and the cat when I have completed them.

Hope everyone had a lovely day and I'll check in tomorrow morning bright and early.

JCY
June 4th, 2016, 09:30 PM
Yes, the crash of the Thunderbird in Colo. Spgs. was all in the news here, as well as the national news, since there were 2 crashes of military jets that same day. No, I have not decided what I'll make with today's DD. I just liked the fabrics so gave in. I had looked early in the a.m. By noon, after the bread making, etc., I thought if it still was available I'd get it. It was, so I did. I'm really trying to use from my stash. It's silly to buy more fabric when I have so much on hand, but who doesn't love beautiful fabric?!! I'm curious to know what the next tutorial will be that will use this line. Maybe the pic that was in today's e-m?

quiltingtrish
June 4th, 2016, 09:50 PM
I was tempted by the daily deal but did not give in to it. I am trying to use from my stash too and have lots of florals to use up before I can justify buying more. It is gorgeous though.
I've been busy still working in my bedroom. I first thought I would start my summer with painting the 2 empty bedrooms but since kid #2 moved back in for a few weeks until the sale of a home goes through - he has stuff in both bedrooms. So my bedroom it is. Spent 2 days going through the bookcases (mine, that is - DH still has to go through his), another day going through all my clothes, and today I swapped out an old dilapidated nightstand for an unused 5 drawer that is plastic but works for me. Tomorrow I am changing out the curtains and making new ones. Fabric is in the quilt room so no new expense there. Didn't plan to do the nightstand swapout today but I was in there looking for a pair of safety goggles for DH - he claims his are somewhere in the garage - well - I had a fit when he was sawing wood today with no safety glasses on and when he said he is going to keep working on sawing up the fiberglass boat this week - well - got to find those glasses for sure. I have my own pair somewhere - thinking they might be in my desk at the school. I used them when I had to help out in the woodworking shop when the 7th graders were terrified to use the band saw after the teacher told them that butchers use a saw like that and fingers can come off quite easily.
Anywhoo - can't wait to get the new curtains up! I'm thinking with the rain coming tomorrow that is supposed to be torrential with possibility of tornado watches and hail that I might stay home from Dads and hit the quilt room to sew them up.