PDA

View Full Version : Friday Night Owl @,@

kimsophia
June 4th, 2016, 02:04 AM
The owl was out driving at sunset and she had to slam on the brakes twice because she didn't see that the person ahead had stopped in the road! I'm glad my buddy's getting a car because I should not be out driving him around at night :P We're going to look at an out-of-town Dodge Avenger on Wednesday, if it doesn't sell before then.

I am stitching a bargello pattern on the sampler...well I thought I'd done the first part wrong, ripped it all out, and then realized it had been right all along! :P Good thing I like to hand sew...I'm going to take a coupon to Hobby Lobby tomorrow and get the kind of magnifying glass you wear around your neck.

How are you? Hoot us back! @,@

stationarymom
June 4th, 2016, 02:13 AM
Hoot hoot all is quiet in the forest tonight.Do any of the owls know how to find out where and when Jenny will be doing trunk shows?Kim I'm glad you're ok,my ds got into a accident because of the sun once it was a fender bender luckily no injuries.You mean all the stitching you ripped out the other night was right?I think I would have pulled my hair out when I realized I didn't have to rip but did.Good luck with the rest of your stitching and car shopping.(make sure to know the Kelley blue book value of the car you're going to see)

kimsophia
June 4th, 2016, 02:28 AM
No, I did the strawberry patch over correctly last night. It was the bargello area I had just started that I ripped out this evening. That was just the top row. I put it back in and am on the second color row now but need some help seeing that linen.

stationarymom
June 4th, 2016, 02:33 AM
I can understand not being able to see the linen.I was just looking in the quilt shop and they have a hands free magnifying glass,I didn't read all the details so I don't know if it has a light or not.

kimsophia
June 4th, 2016, 02:44 AM
This is the magnifier I am looking at: Carson SM-22 BOAMAG Magnifier & Flashlight | Hobby Lobby (http://www.hobbylobby.com/Yarn-Needle-Art/Notions-Tools/Magnifiers/Carson-SM-22-BOAMAG-Magnifier-Flashlight/p/106173-TI0367#review-section)

Judy, USMC
June 4th, 2016, 03:02 AM
Hooting from my tree ... in a warm breeze tonight. Kim, I can sympathize about night driving. I see a halo around the street lights. Ophthalmologist said (his words) that I had cataracts that "weren't ripe enough to be plucked yet." Heck of a way to put it, isn't it? Glad the re-work wasn't extensive - I was worried it was the ones you did yesterday too!

Joan - M* does advertise their Hamilton shows on Eventbrite. Various guilds and shops will "hire" Jenny to do a show. The only way I've been able to find these are by searching "Missouri Star Trunk Show" or "Doan Trunk Show." I know she'll be about a mile from me on August 20th ... fingers crossed that there will be no hurricanes brewing. But I think MA to NC might be a bit too far to drive for a 2-hour show.

Hope y'all have a grand & glorious day when the sun rises.

bubba
June 4th, 2016, 03:18 AM
Last night, Thursday, I watered down the plum tree and put part of my ladybugs on them. We use them instead of bug sprays and they work well.

Tonight, MM was out looking to see how many of the critters stuck around. It was then he saw a hummingbird sitting in the tree! Now, I don't know why I am so enchanted by these little birds, but I sure am! It has been flitting around our feeders and the fuchsia, but I've never seen it sit in the tree as long as it did tonight! From when MM started looking for the ladybugs to when it flew off was about 15 minutes!! We have only ever seen one hummer out there, but tonight, a second showed up at the feeder while the one sat in the tree. After the second came and fed a couple times, the first one flew off with it and we didn't see them again......always tomorrow! I waste a lot of time watching for those things!

Heather and Ashtyn were over for dinner and they saw them too. Ashtyn had never seen a hummer before and he was just as excited as I was!

Andrea F
June 4th, 2016, 03:53 AM
Good morning!

This bird is still groggy after night owling from 2 to 6. I fell asleep at half past eight or so in front of the TV and slept until 2 am. Then I woke up, removed my make up et cetera and wanted to go back to bed but started texting with hubby, who is still in Shanghai. I slept two more hours later and now I'm up but still tired. Right now, hubby is visiting a part of Shanghai that still has old, traditional buildings. I can't wait to see the pictures I hope he's taking. After that he promised to go on a fabric hunt for me! I hope he finds a fabric store. There is a whole mall full of fabrics in Shanghai but I don't know if he's anywhere near it or finds it... I let him surprise me, he'll be back Monday morning when I get up.

Yesterday, my sister, my son and I went to the organic food store and did a part of our grocery shopping. Gosh, I really would buy more of my groceries there but it's expensive. I spent 100 Euro and brought only two small bags home. On the bright side, my niece also came over to our place and we had a yummy vegan dinner. We made spaghetti and white mushroom sauce with shredded parsley. The sauce wasn't made with cream or cheese but with almond purée. It was delicious!

I really want to go in my sewing room today. I still have a lot more work to do over the weekend and I fear I don't want to do it once I start cutting out fabric and sewing but I haven't sewed a stitch since before our vacation. I need some quality time in there!

I also can relate to not wanting to drive in the dark. I don't see well at night either. I'm glad nothing serious happened, Kim! Good luck with the car hunt!
Have a good night and a beautiful day, owls!

kimsophia
June 4th, 2016, 04:02 AM
Hooting from my tree ... in a warm breeze tonight. Kim, I can sympathize about night driving. I see a halo around the street lights. Ophthalmologist said (his words) that I had cataracts that "weren't ripe enough to be plucked yet." Heck of a way to put it, isn't it? Glad the re-work wasn't extensive - I was worried it was the ones you did yesterday too!

Judy, you might want to get a second opinion on the "ripening" idea. That was true before they invented a suction technique that uses a smaller incision and does not require the lens to be intact. Ask the doctor: Do cataracts need to be ripe for surgery? - Harvard Health (http://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/do-cataracts-need-to-be-ripe-for-surgery)
My DH is going to get his eyes done as soon as he enters Medicare next year. Our joke is that he will really see the dirt in the house when he can see again... :)

Judy, USMC
June 4th, 2016, 06:05 AM
Thanks, Kim, but the link wouldn't let me read because I'm not a subscriber. But he did say something about the pressure in my eye and being a glaucoma suspect. But he didn't prescribe anything and said to just continue with annual checkups. The only problem I have is with the lights at night - everything else is OK. This was one of the VA docs. Will be getting another checkup in a few months. I'll have a serious talk with them based on your recommendation with the info you know ... thanks again.

toggpine
June 4th, 2016, 01:13 PM
I night owled, but didn't make it in here until this morning.
Did you ever wonder what happens to all of those Box Tops and Labels for Education (soup labels) that the kids collect for school? No? Neither did I, but now I know. They explode all over my dining room.
They have to be tallied for each class, trimmed to fit 50 in a baggie, and packed in the box for shipping. The soup labels have to be tallied, trimmed, glued to pages, and packaged for shipping too. This probably isn't too bad if it this kept up on a regular basis. The Box Tops haven't been done in 6 months. The soup labels haven't been done in 2 years! I ran through 100 sheets of 1 point labels (20/sheet) and still have at least that many to go.
The good news is we will have some nice funds for the school when I'm done. FYI if you are clipping either box tops or labels, you need to include the expiration date on the BoxTop (toss it if it's expired), and the UPC bar code on the soup label (or at least most of it) or they are useless. If you are feeling extra generous, you can trim them somewhat close to the dotted line and wipe off the food from the inside.
I'm hoping to get these taken care of today as we will be going for the first load of hay tomorrow. The house is getting back to somewhat organized. There is still much to do, but it is improving. (I also bought a can of wall paint, and I can see some of that in my future too.) My poor hubby isn't thrilled about all of the commotion, but is coming around, some.
Hugs, Cathy

Midge
June 4th, 2016, 04:07 PM
This is the magnifier I am looking at: Carson SM-22 BOAMAG Magnifier & Flashlight | Hobby Lobby (http://www.hobbylobby.com/Yarn-Needle-Art/Notions-Tools/Magnifiers/Carson-SM-22-BOAMAG-Magnifier-Flashlight/p/106173-TI0367#review-section)

I've been thinking about getting something similar. My concern has been the tradeoff between price and the quality of the magnifying glass. So right now I am not making a move on this.

Please let us know if you purchase one how it works out for you.

kimsophia
June 4th, 2016, 04:30 PM
I've been thinking about getting something similar. My concern has been the tradeoff between price and the quality of the magnifying glass. So right now I am not making a move on this.

Please let us know if you purchase one how it works out for you.

Well, I read the reviews of it on Amazon this morning and there were some poor ratings, so I switched to getting this one with a bigger lens and better reviews Amazon.com: Carson Optical MagniShine LED Lighted 2x Power Hands-Free Magnifier (HF-66): Sports & Outdoors (http://www.amazon.com/Carson-MagniShine-Hands-Free-Magnifier-HF-66/dp/B0011WYMF0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00)