PDA

View Full Version : What a trip down memory lane!

JCY
June 1st, 2016, 07:53 PM
I have been sorting pictures for the past several days. I'm compiling pics that will go on a DVD of DH. He's in declining health, but not terminal. I just know I won't have time to do this when something does happen, so I'm working ahead to get things together. (We both did our funeral pre-planning several years ago.) A friend from church will compile a DVD, including songs of our choice, for a nominal fee. What a trip down memory lane this has been! DH went through his childhood albums & marked pics for me. I've sorted several boxes of prints. Alas, most are not in albums. One of those jobs we all tend to put off. I've browsed pics from family reunions, our 25th wedding anniv., visits to family in other states, baby pics of my gr. dau., & so many more. Our parents died many years ago, & both my bro. & sis died in 2009 & 2010. There were pics of our last visits together, hiking in Smokey Mountains National Park with my bro. My sis & I took a trip to PA to visit where our dad's family came from. So many memories. DH said he wished he were in the same health he was back then. I suppose we all wish we had the energy we had when we were younger. Nothing stays the same. Again I'm reminded of the brevity of life.

Monique
June 1st, 2016, 09:10 PM
Enjoy your trip down memory lane. I think more people should do what you are doing but we put it off until it is too late.

Sandy Navas
June 1st, 2016, 09:14 PM
Ain't it the truth. It's also sad that those who follow have no interest in knowing what went before and with us.

easyquilts
June 1st, 2016, 09:52 PM
I find it really hard to look at those old pictures.... But... The memories are wonderful.... Enjoy your trip down memory lane!

Simply Quilting
June 1st, 2016, 11:44 PM
I am glad that you are both getting a chance to go through the pictures together and have a shared walk down memory lane.

Sadly, after my grandma's death did I find albums of when she was younger and what the farm house that she lived in and raised children was like as it was different from when I grew up in. Lots of questions that I would have loved to ask her had I known about things that were in the pictures like her beautiful flower gardens.

seaturtle
June 1st, 2016, 11:46 PM
What a beautiful experience for the two of you. Enjoy those memories.

snippet
June 2nd, 2016, 12:11 AM
My mom and dad had tons of old slides that we hadn't seen in years. They were in the boxes, before slide carousels. When my mom began declining my nephew started digitizing the slides. When he had amassed a bunch of them, we all made a movie night of it and reminisced. The kids had never seen the slides before, so we heard "Grandma you danced and drank?" and "wow, look at the clothes" It was such a fun night, we had another with cousins and my mom's sisters too. Gosh what memories.

Judy, USMC
June 2nd, 2016, 01:21 AM
Thanks for posting. It reminded me that I have an old film of my grandparents 50th anniversary party. My dad had the camera and was the official photographer. Time to get my butt in gear and surprise my cousins with a video CD so they can share with their families.

I will have to do some editing, though. Mom had given me a Toni home perm for the party. When the camera turned to me I threw a bit of a temper tantrum. I was upset because short hair and tight new curls made me look more like Tony Curtis than a little girl.

WendyI
June 2nd, 2016, 01:16 PM
So smart to be doing that now together so that you can share it when the time comes and have the memory of doing it together. So fortunate to have each other to do it with! I'm so sorry your DH is ailing though. (((HUGS)))

quiltingaway
June 2nd, 2016, 05:14 PM
I agree with Wendy - it is so smart to be doing this now. And love that you can share those memories with your husband. We were at a funeral last week for by BIL. His death was a total shock, a massive coronary, but they had the most beautiful collection of photos that they showed. As it was playing I just kept thinking of all the photos we have that are in boxes. No photo albums, just boxes of photos. You will be so glad you have this done.

JCY
June 3rd, 2016, 12:31 AM
My DH had some old 8mm movies that we had put on a VCR tape some years ago. (Long before we ever had a computer & TV went digital.) He gave the old movies & reel player to his son when he visited here in 2006. Today I dug into the slides. We have 2 long shelves full. I counted 100 reels. That means 10,000 slides! No way I was going through all of those! DH was using slides when we met, as was I. So we have his & mine from before, & ours after our marriage. He had made a master list of what was on the reels since we got married, which made it easier. I found the ones from when he was in the Army in Germany. He was a medic & drove an ambulance. There were a couple good ones of him in his white uniform--one standing by his ambulance. It's so nice now that we have a digital camera & have the pics on the laptop. I really need to get them backed up on a hard drive or thumb drive. I still have to select the music to go on the DVD. Glen has some favorite songs he wants used at his service.

TMP
June 3rd, 2016, 01:46 AM
My ML put together photo albums for each grandchild. They included pictures of their parents when they were young of herself and FL and of family times. It must have taken her weeks to gather and sort all the pictures because she had a dozen grandchildren.