PDA

View Full Version : Digitizing Softward

rebeccas-sewing
December 4th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Does anyone have or know of a simple embroidery digitizing software program I could purchase for designing simple patterns for quilting. I use my embroidery function on my machine to quilt. I want to expand. I want to be able to take quiling designs I find on-line and change their size or change them into something different. For example, I would like a large meandering pattern that would fit my largest hoop. I would like to take that design and adjust the size to fit different areas of the quilt. Another example. Right now I'm working with a loop-de-loop pattern from Embroidery Designs.com. They sell it at about 4x4". I have it set up to repeat four times in one hooping. I have to cut jump stitches each time it repeats. I would like to design my own pattern to fit my largest hoop to avoid so many rehoopings of the design and having to cut jump stitches in between each run across the quilt. I would like to design my own quilting designs. For example, I'd like an all-over quilt design of hearts and loops. For that I would need free-hand drawing capabilities.

I see one on Allbrands.com but haven't tried it yet. They give a trial period so one can try it and decide if it meets one's needs. Over the holidays I'll get Joe to help me work with it. If anyone has this type of software I'd love to hear about it. The brand name ones are out of the ballpark when it come to price. I really just need something generic that supports JEF. The one I'm looking at is around $200. The brand ones run in the thousands. Yikes!!!

Nena
December 4th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Hello--I have 4D embroidery. I bought it where I bought my machine. I know that I have seen other programs on sale at Nancy's notions. In the back of quilting magazines--there are advertisements for them. I love my 4D embroidery. It is not the latest or the greatest, but it works for me. I did not buy the whole package---I just bought parts as I needed it. Good luck

Claire Hallman
December 4th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Have you got Wilcom truesizer. That is free and it might do what you want. I am too new to embroidery to say for sure but it will enlarge designs somewhat.
Do you ever look at this site? http://www.sewforum.com/
There seems to be lots of help and information there for embroidery. If you do a search there you will find a tutorial about using the truesizer.

Sandy Navas
December 4th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Nena and I have similar machines - I have 5D and use 4D Quilter for quilting designs . . . like you said EXPENSIVE. No experience with any others though.

Some names to check out though: Tajima, True-Sizer, Sophie-Sew, Sew-Art . . . QuiltAssistant . . .

rebeccas-sewing
December 4th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Thanks, folks. I appreciate the info. I'll check out your suggestions.

Robin Wood
December 14th, 2011, 03:44 AM
I'm brand new to quilting, but I've been using embroidery digitizing software for years. (I used to teach the Husqvarna line.) I use 4D now myself, but there are several free embroidery programs out there.

I've heard good things about Thredworks, and there's SophieSew, and a few others I've really not heard a lot about. Some are ad supported, but that might be worth it.

Many people also use Embird, which isn't free, but is very reasonably priced, and has a free demo so you can see if you like it before you buy.

Anyway, I know this thread is a bit old. I hope it's okay that I posted.