PDA

View Full Version : WHY?...WHY IS IT SOOOO HARD?

joder1116
May 30th, 2016, 01:19 PM
Why is it soooo hard to start a 2 cycle engine! My husband is away at work, so having him do it is not an option. My boys all live outta state, and the in-laws are elderly. Last week I literally spent a hour pulling my guts out (and arm off) trying to get the tiller started so that I could work the garden. A HOUR!! To find out thru several texts and phone calls to my husband "that I probably fouled the plug"! So I learned how to fix that too! Now I am a mechanic (LOL) Guess what, first pull of the rope and that baby fired off! It only took 25 minutes to till the garden and 1 HOUR to get the tiller going! Yes, there was plenty of pirate talk!!
SO... we had a tree that was hit by lightening that has fallen into a path. I mow this path (of course), so I tried to start the chain saw. Nope, you guessed it, couldn't get it started. Needless to say, the pirate in me came out. I put I back in the shed, locked the door and just walked away!!! Came in the house and ordered a cordless chain saw. YES, it's probably not as good as a gas powered 2 cycle one, but I BET I can get it started!!! My husband will get a kick outta this! LOL! OHHH, and while I was out picking up sticks so I could mow the yard, I almost picked up a snake thinking it was a stick!!!! The pirate came out again! :icon_heh:

K. McEuen
May 30th, 2016, 01:31 PM
Haha, you know, I bought an electric chainsaw years ago to make it easier for hubby to trim trees. He has NEVER touched it. I've used it numerous times, usually in front of him as he is sawing away at a limb, I will go out and whack a few off while he is still working on the first one. He's afraid of it.

shirleyknot
May 30th, 2016, 01:34 PM
I bought an electric chainsaw for the same reason. It doesn't cut much of anything. Wasted money.

joder1116
May 30th, 2016, 01:35 PM
LOL!! Does it work good?

K. McEuen
May 30th, 2016, 01:59 PM
It's not bad, until I hit a knot. Then I usually have to put the chain back on, but that isn't that hard to do. I just got a small one and it handles 3 or 4" limbs really well. I did saw through about an 8" trunk, went halfway through one side and then did the rest from the other side. My biggest problem is I think I try to rush it rather than let it cut at its own pace and that is why I have to mess with the chain.

I can understand my hubby being scared of it to a certain degree. I won't use a big gas powered one. I had a friend that had a horrible scar on his head/face where one kicked back on him. He looked like some guy in a field hockey mask tried to saw his head in half.

alliek
May 30th, 2016, 02:05 PM
Wow, you have had a time of it. I don't blame you for the pirates language, or as I prefer to call it, therapeutic vernacular. Sometimes no other method gives you that satisfaction. I think you have deserved a full day of quilting and no other chores.

jjkaiser
May 30th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Wow I admire your perseverance! No way would I ever spend an hour trying to get a stupid machine started, I do not have that kind of patience. I am happy that all the garden tools and outdoor equipment belongs to my husband and he told me hands off!

DeniseSm
May 30th, 2016, 04:09 PM
When our last lawn mower died we replaced it with one that has a battery. You just press a button to start the lawn mower. One of our best purchases ever.

joder1116
May 30th, 2016, 04:38 PM
Wow I admire your perseverance! No way would I ever spend an hour trying to get a stupid machine started, I do not have that kind of patience. I am happy that all the garden tools and outdoor equipment belongs to my husband and he told me hands off!

I wouldn't necessarily say it was perseverance, just plain ole stubbornness!!! LOL

joder1116
May 30th, 2016, 04:39 PM
Wow, you have had a time of it. I don't blame you for the pirates language, or as I prefer to call it, therapeutic vernacular. Sometimes no other method gives you that satisfaction. I think you have deserved a full day of quilting and no other chores.

I agree! :)

just4me
May 30th, 2016, 05:12 PM
LOL, I feel your frustration! I once kicked a hole right through the casing of our lawnmower because I got so angry trying to start the wretched thing while DH was away and the lawn needed mowing! The hole is still there...you can look right through to its "guts" and now I'm sure it quivers in fear just a little bit every time it sees me in the garage! LOL!

MRoy
May 30th, 2016, 05:49 PM
I have an old push mower for trimming that usually starts on the 2nd pull after pushing the priming bulb a few times. I hope it keeps running because I doubt I'll ever find another one that will start as good as this one after many years. Now the gas weed-eater is a different story. I have to lay it on the ground, put one foot on it, and pull and pull. That's why I use Roundup instead. I don't mess with DH's chainsaws. They're big and powerful and I'd probably hurt myself for sure.

Deegles
May 30th, 2016, 06:10 PM
If you are just putting regular gas from the gas station, that is your problem. Small engines hate ethanol. Find a gas station that sells non-ethanol fuel. You will probably have to take it in to get the water and junk from the carburator to get it to run right. My last mower would not start well, and would not stay running and this is what I found out after I took a pick axe to it, and retired it permanently so no one would pick it up at the curb and have the same frustation.

Bubby
May 30th, 2016, 06:14 PM
You poor sweetie! I HATE 2-cycle anything....

bubba
May 30th, 2016, 06:15 PM
We have both a gas and an electric chainsaw. Pat is not allowed to touch either one of them for some reason!!! There is a place out near our lake place that teaches chainsaw carving and part of the class fee is you get your very own chainsaw. I was told I'm not allowed to take that class either!!!

If I was picking up sticks and one turned out to be a snake, the only thing you'd be hearing would be the sirens on the ambulance!

Jean Sewing Machine
May 30th, 2016, 07:22 PM
I hate that issue also, and have bought electric tools to solve the problem. But I have an old Craftsman mower with a "one pull" engine, and it has never failed to start on one pull. It had been in the shed for 3 years unused, we gassed it up a couple of weeks ago, and darn if it didn't start on the first pull. I do think it is a 4 cycle engine ( gas and oil are not mixed), but it's a good mower!

joder1116
May 30th, 2016, 07:28 PM
LOL, I feel your frustration! I once kicked a hole right through the casing of our lawnmower because I got so angry trying to start the wretched thing while DH was away and the lawn needed mowing! The hole is still there...you can look right through to its "guts" and now I'm sure it quivers in fear just a little bit every time it sees me in the garage! LOL!

This is hilarious! Funny thing is, the following night I wanted to re-till the garden so I could plant. You know that thing fired right up on the first pull. My DH said I probably scared it into starting!

MRoy
May 30th, 2016, 07:30 PM
I'd forgotten about this. DH had a new chainsaw ruined with ethanol gas. Now we pay more at the country store for the non-ethanol gas.

If you are just putting regular gas from the gas station, that is your problem. Small engines hate ethanol. Find a gas station that sells non-ethanol fuel. You will probably have to take it in to get the water and junk from the carburator to get it to run right. My last mower would not start well, and would not stay running and this is what I found out after I took a pick axe to it, and retired it permanently so no one would pick it up at the curb and have the same frustation.

joder1116
May 30th, 2016, 07:40 PM

My husband buys the pre-mixed "fuel". It comes in about a quart size can and I think it's expensive, but if it works...I can't remember the name... but no regular gas goes in the hand tool types of things.

oldsewer
May 30th, 2016, 07:58 PM
I have an Oregon brand cordless (battery) chain saw. Even my brother, who has a selection of big, heavy duty, "man" type saws loves this one and uses it a lot. I'll admit it is at the outer reaches for me weight and courage wise, but the saw is great. Highly recommend. This is not a trimmer, or limb trimmer, although they make those too. If your are using a chain saw, I highly recommend you invest in the chaps. Worth the money for safety.

mpattylou
May 31st, 2016, 09:52 PM
I know of what you speak....I am cooling off after trying to get my tiller to run long enough to work-up a section of my garden to plant my tomato plants....they need planting badly. After restarting and tilling a little and then it dieing...over and over again....I got enough tilled to plant those suckers..... It has been a good tiller for over 20 years...it just needs a little TLC and hubby, being a farmer just doesn't have time right now. Well at least we'll have "maters" and can buy some sweet corn if I have to. After weeks of too much rain, we will soon go to being too dry and praying for a good inch of rain. Farmers....you can't please them,