PDA

View Full Version : meandering

heather371
March 8th, 2010, 01:51 AM
I'm new to quilting. I don't have a quilting sewing machine and I was wondering if it's possible to meander quilt on a basic sewing machine. If anyone knows some good tutorials for this please point me in the right direction. I've tried to google it.

Heather
heather371@gmail.com
http://nightdreamer_371.bravejournal.com

KarenB
March 8th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Hi Heather, Welcome to the Forum! Are you asking about Stippling where there is no set pattern? I checked out youtube and found several meandering quilting videos but they seem to all have some kind of pattern. If you can drop or cover your feed dogs on your machine I do not see why you cannot do this. I think if you watch any of those videos it will help you. Good Luck!

quiltingtrish
March 8th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I use a cheap Brother machine from Walmart and I meander on that by covering the feed dogs with the plastic plate they provided. I would practice on scrap fabric first though because until you get your foot going at the proper speed and your hands moving at the correct speed, you may get loops on the back and you don't want that.
The quilters machine gloves are the best things I invested in to help with the meandering to grab a hold of the quilt. Of course, I guess you could use just regular rubber gloves, I would think they do the same thing.

Hugs,
quilting trish

shell.scraps
March 8th, 2010, 06:47 PM
you don't have to have an expensive machine to do quilting...what machine do you have?