PDA

View Full Version : Dog Question

Longstocking
May 27th, 2016, 01:14 AM
I've received help here before with my dog question so I hope you can help me again.
This is my dog Mako. She is just over a year old. She had the longest fluffy fur. I took her to a dog groomer for the first time today. I told them to just trim but she got completely shaved.
She looks so naked now! She is a full time outside dog. Do I need to worry about her getting sunburned? Now that her fur is so short I'm worried about her not being protected from the elements outside. Anyone know how fast her fur will grow? I can't believe how close they shaved her. I almost feel sad for my dog :(

Hulamoon
May 27th, 2016, 01:23 AM
She'll be fine. There are plenty of dogs with hair that short. I had an english pointer with hair like that. Is your pup part pointer? She's really pretty and I love the bows!

baskets4deb
May 27th, 2016, 01:23 AM
I'd be upset too! You have a beautiful dog but you will have to worry about sunburn now. I would cover her with sunscreen every morning. I would also think about a t-shirt. I wouldn't go back to that groomer again!

Kgrammiecaz
May 27th, 2016, 01:35 AM
My daughter has fluffly little ones and gets them cut super ahort all the time. They do very well. Unless she is outside all the time I would not worry. She is absolutely adorable.

bubba
May 27th, 2016, 01:36 AM
Yoda gets clipped close in the summer and he has never gotten sunburn. I hope you did not pay for that 'trim' and I hope you never go there again!

K. McEuen
May 27th, 2016, 01:52 AM
Dogs can get sunburned, but as long as she has a shaded place that she can get out of the sun she should be fine. Most dogs know when they've spent enough time in the sun.

As to her trim - with her previous coat, were you brushing her at least every other day? Long coated dogs that spend all their time outside will get a build up of oils, undercoat that they have shed, dead skin, dry grass, etc. If she wasn't bathed regularly as well, her coat may have been in poor enough shape that the time spent trying to get everything brushed out would have been cost prohibitive, so the groomer did a "once a year shave" which many people do with larger, long coated dogs.

Sylvia H
May 27th, 2016, 03:08 AM
Yes, dogs can easily get sunburned if their skin is not protected. The only time I am aware that a groomer will do this is if the dog is matted so badly that the mats have to be shaved away. Most dogs have two layers to their fur. The inner layer actually keeps them warm in the cold weather and cool in the hot weather. So, in addition to possible sunburn, your pup may actually be hotter now. :( I would check with a vet on how to care for your dog in this case instead of depending upon our anecdotal recommendations.

toggpine
May 27th, 2016, 03:33 AM
After our first shave of the season, we apply sunscreen to the tops (head, neck, back, & rump) of our girls. The skin hasn't seen direct sun in months, and they can get burned.
A friend of ours has even used regular, all purpose flour applied with a big body powder pouf. She runs an organic dairy and can't put chemicals on her animals. She says it works, and keeps her herd of mostly white-haired/pink-skinned animals sunburn free.

That is a bit more than a trim! I'd ask why they clipped so much. It may have been a misunderstanding in vocabulary. Although a "Trim" does not equal "Full Body Clip with a #10 blade" in my book.

snippet
May 27th, 2016, 06:12 AM
Yeah, that's a summer shave, not a trim. I would take the before photo and your dog back to the groomer and ask for an explanation. Mainly to let them know that's not what you wanted and also to see if their explanation is reasonable. It might be their idea of trim.

My dalmatians would get sunburned if left outside for long periods of time. But they are such people dogs, they never stayed outside on their own long. Check your dog after a few hours and see if their nose and head show signs of a sunburn. With her dark skin and coat she probably won't but it doesn't hurt to check.

sew-what2015
May 27th, 2016, 07:53 AM
My advice is...ask the vet. Dogs do get sunburn.

songbird857
May 27th, 2016, 08:00 AM
The groomer may have felt that she was too matted in her undercoat for just a trim - HOWEVER.... They absolutely should have contacted you before they shaved her to see if that is what you wanted. She is a beauty!

Suzette
May 27th, 2016, 09:18 AM
I would watch her out in the sunshine. Dogs most certainly can (and do) sunburn. Those long coats are there for a reason, and the groomer should not have shaved her down without asking you first, even if she was matted. Once you told the groomer what you wanted, that is all that should have been done. If they felt a more aggressive approach needed to be taken, they should have spoken to you first before proceeding.

mario1360
May 27th, 2016, 09:42 AM
wow summers in Idaho are very hot are they not? I hope you provide the dog with plenty of shade and water....I get my terrier shaved real short every summer but she only goest out early in the morning and later after super, I would NEVER expose a dog to a full day of full sunshine long or short hair.

mario1360
May 27th, 2016, 10:01 AM
anmd by the way she looks absolutely adorable.

Longstocking
May 27th, 2016, 10:23 AM
It very well could be that she was matted. I knew under/behind her ears was but it felt to me like the rest of her was fine. I could give her a deep rub/scratch and not tangle in her fur. We hardly ever combed her though. First time having a dog so we still have a lot to learn. She's a mutt through and through. We don't know who the parents were as we were the third home when she was only 7 weeks old. There's some Pyranees, lab, Heeler, Pointer. With her shaved she has the body of a Great Dane. I don't know what breed she is. Thank you for your help and dog love!

rebeccas-sewing
May 27th, 2016, 11:37 AM
I think she looks so cute, but I certainly understand your concern. I'm with others. I would not return to that groomer. They should've called to get your permission to shave her that close. Call the vet and ask about the sunburn or take that photo to them so they can see what was done and what you should do. I would also call and complain to the manager. You might save someone else from having this happen to their pet.

jjkaiser
May 27th, 2016, 11:53 AM
My dog is part mutt and part German Shepherd. When I brush him out about once a week the fur comes off in rivers. Last year I called a groomer asking if they could shave him real short because the shedding was monstrous. They said no because the long hair actually protects the dog from sunburn.

Midge
May 27th, 2016, 12:00 PM
You have gotten a lot of good advice about sunburn protection, which is essential when a dog is shaved down like this. I see this being done at the animal shelter when a dog has been so severely neglected that the coat is in very poor shape and not salvageable. But otherwise I thinl you have to ask yourself why would you want your dog shaved down? I can see it if you have a swimming pool and the dog jumps in to swim a lot. But otherwise, no. There is no reason to shave a dog except to avoid having to brush and groom the dog regularly. Dogs do not sweat through their skin. Their heat control measures are through panting and through sweat glands on the bottom of their paws. There are lots of videos out there about how to train your dog to tolerate brushing regularly, even in his armpits and around his hind quarters. It's the price of a beautiful long-haired dog. And your dog is a beauty. Fortunately, his hair grows back quickly and there are other groomers out there.

alliek
May 27th, 2016, 01:12 PM
Apparently your groomer is inexperienced or not a professional groomer. Talk to your vet about your dog. I would definitely do something to protect your dog against prolonged sun exposure. This short ,all that protective fur and oil is gone. So sorry. I hope you expressed your displeasure to the "groomer". Love your dog.

Pandabear
May 27th, 2016, 02:20 PM
I have no advice to give, but I wanted to say how beautiful your dog is. What a cutie!