PDA

View Full Version : Wet hair, no makeup, drippy eyes and whining

RiverMomm
May 26th, 2016, 06:06 PM
So, why is it when you are really not into seeing anyone . . . you end up seeing someone?!? Last year I donated a quilt for a fundraiser at DH's work. It was a big hit and it was hinted that they would love another one. Of course, I put it off until the very end. The auction is tomorrow. I finished the quilt today and washed it. While it was in the dryer, I jumped in the shower and washed my hair. The quilt came out looking great. Me? not so much. Allergies. So why put on makeup when my eyes will drip it off? I am only dropping the quilt off at DH's workplace and he is meeting me in the parking lot. I won't even have to get out of the car. What could go wrong??

Here I sit in the car and handed the quilt out the window to hubby. I am rubbing my drippy, red eyes as he asks me if I would go to Costco and ask someone if something will be in stock. I sort of whine and say "You reaaaaaaaaaaaaalllly want me to ask for help at Costco?" And RIGHT at that moment, the lady in charge of the fundraiser walks around the car and starts to talk to me. I was sort of startled as I hadn't seen her. So here I am with wet hair, drippy eyes, no makeup and whining big time.

Yeah, yeah, she was thanking me for the quilt but all I could do was think ohhhhhhh please let me go. please. pretty please. Take the dang quilt! arrrggghhh. Oh course, she was perfectly pulled together, gracious and beautiful. Again-me, not so much. But hey, I made a quilt. Maybe it all equals out. ;)

Jean Sewing Machine
May 26th, 2016, 06:24 PM
Never fails! I was at the store one morning, hair a mess, no make up, wrinkly clothes. I noticed a rather attractive man walking out of the store, he was behind me. All of a sudden, he called my name! Turned out I had known him from the old neighborhood, and he had made my heart go pitty-patter back in the day! Wish I had looked fetching when meeting him by accident!

GuitarGramma
May 26th, 2016, 06:29 PM
I hear your pain! I know I don't have time to get all presentable EVERY time I leave my house. I grew up watching my mom be perpetually late, everywhere she went, because she had to look PERFECT whenever she left the house. In fact, for two years we lived in a school district with no bus so all students were driven to school every day. And every day, I was late for class because my mom would start putting on her makeup right when we were supposed to leave.

You both made the right choice!

MRoy
May 26th, 2016, 06:49 PM
Since I retired I no longer have to dress up every day and some days I look like a hot mess. Those are usually the days DH wants me to run an errand for him and I almost always run up on someone I know. As Jean said...never fails!

Sylvia H
May 26th, 2016, 08:05 PM
I have convinced myself that at my age, I look better without makeup! When I really get 'dolled up', I put on tinted moisturizer and do my eyebrows. Oh, and lipstick too. Since at one time I was Mary Kay consultant, this is a big change.

bubba
May 26th, 2016, 08:14 PM
In the past month, I don't think I've been out of my pj's ten times!!! But in my defense, I did have the flu for 16 of those days and then I fell and I have not been going anywhere. He wanted to go out for dinner last night and I actually put on a bra!!! Came off as soon as I walked thru the back door....guess my ribs are still swollen.

JCY
May 26th, 2016, 10:03 PM
The only make-up I wear is lipstick. Mascara bothered my eyes. It smudges, etc. Of course, allergy season--who would wear eye make-up then?! Don't feel bad.

Claire OneStitchAtATime
May 26th, 2016, 11:32 PM
She was probably thinking, Rivermomm looks so comfortable, and here I am in my work clothes and makeup, when do I get to home, wash my face, and put on my sweats?

In any case, in my experience people spend way more time worrying about how they look themselves than judging how others look. Seriously. Most folks are too self-involved to notice. Except, of course, your mom, who will be ready to jump on any little flaw!

bec
May 27th, 2016, 01:10 AM
It never fails! LOL I don't wear makeup, but if I've been working in the yard all day and my hair is all frazzled and I realize that I need to run to the store to grab one item for dinner, I almost always see someone that I hadn't seen in 20 years or more. It's so embarrassing! lol

Monique
May 27th, 2016, 07:20 AM
I don't wear makeup at all. Some days I look a mess too and what the heck. It is what is inside that matters the most. AND you do have a big heart.

auntiemern
May 27th, 2016, 06:13 PM
I used to never leave the house without hair and face done....I even made my sis wait to take her to the hospital when she was in labor until I finished my hair and make up. (in my defense I could do it all in less than 10 min). I did the same thing when I broke my finger, would not go to the doc until I was 'done'....now.. not so much...rarely wear makeup any more...just to tired and not enough energy to do it. I know I look 10 yrs younger when I do wear it...and DH wishes I still did. I do occasionally...just not regularly any more. I think I have reached that stage in my life where it just isn't at the top of my ...'need to do every day' list. It is enough, just to get through the day.

sew-what2015
May 28th, 2016, 12:53 PM
I used to never leave the house without hair and face done....I even made my sis wait to take her to the hospital when she was in labor until I finished my hair and make up. (in my defense I could do it all in less than 10 min). I did the same thing when I broke my finger, would not go to the doc until I was 'done'....now.. not so much...rarely wear makeup any more...just to tired and not enough energy to do it. I know I look 10 yrs younger when I do wear it...and DH wishes I still did. I do occasionally...just not regularly any more. I think I have reached that stage in my life where it just isn't at the top of my ...'need to do every day' list. It is enough, just to get through the day.

I am the same...just don't have the energy to do it.
My sisters tell me I should wear makeup more often but this old gal is past that stage.
When they or DH mentions it, I just say.....What you see is what you get!