PDA

View Full Version : I don't know if I should be embarrassed or overjoyed!

RockinLou
May 23rd, 2016, 01:20 PM
My husband and I took the kids to Starbucks for dessert tonight, and the manager knew our names and what my husband always orders, then asked me what I want because I never order the same thing twice!

We are among a small handful of Americans living in the city, and our kids are BLONDE and they talk to EVERYONE in either English or Russian if that doesn't work, so I know we are a memorable crowd, but the Starbucks has only been open here since January!!

Anyway, we ended up talking to him for awhile because he asked if our contracts end soon, when we told him we plan to stay about 3 more years he was shocked. He said that when they were trying to open the store they US Embassador wrote a letter to Starbucks explaining that it was a hardship for all Americans living here to be without a Starbucks. This surprised me and made me want to laugh. There are none fewer than 12 coffee shops in ONE shopping mall here, I DO like Starbucks, but it was no hardship without it!! (I didn't tell the guy there that I actually prefer the competition but that Starbucks has more options for the kids)

So, we are pretty sure we will never blend in here... and that's okay...

Sylvia H
May 23rd, 2016, 01:39 PM
I love your story! And thinking that an ambassador is saying not having a Starbucks is a hardship! Now that is really funny. I don't think their coffee in the USA is all that great. Every so often I will treat myself to a chai latte or a skinny vanilla latte - but less than once a month.

rebeccas-sewing
May 23rd, 2016, 03:58 PM
I stopped drinking coffee all together (stomach issues), but I used to be a two-cup-a-day kinda person. I never liked Starbucks coffee. Is the big draw actually the coffee or all those special mixes they prepare? Those specialty drinks are more like dessert than what I consider coffee.

MayinJerset
May 23rd, 2016, 04:26 PM
That's a funny story. Plenty of Starbucks around here, DH hates their coffee mainly because he doesn't care for all the differerent blends of coffees as he drinks his coffee black with sugar. Of course, the high costs has something to do with it also. He prefers Mac Donald's coffee and usually gets it at the senior rate.

I occasionally get a double cappuccino with just the foam, no sugar or added flavors and maybe a dash of cinnamon or chocolate, don't mind the cost because I enjoy it.

Teen and 20's grand kids love all those lattes filled with tons of flavors and calories. I tell them I grew up drinking lattes for breakfast. My mother made a pot of coffee in the morning for her, my father, my grandfather and all of us kids. Kids were started with half coffee, half milk and sugar and as we grew older the milk was decreased. No fancy latte name just a caffeine fix to get us going.

Snip Snip
May 23rd, 2016, 05:46 PM
I love Starbucks but when I get a latte, the milk in it wreaks havoc with my stomach, so unless I bring along a lactose pill, I have to pass it up.

Hulamoon
May 23rd, 2016, 06:31 PM
What people must think of us spoiled Americans. I think Iv'e been in one three times in my life and got an iced coffee.

easyquilts
May 23rd, 2016, 10:03 PM
That's a great story.... It's wonderful that your kids can speak Rissian.... I hope everyone enjoyed Starbucks....especially now that you know it was a hardship not to have one...

JCY
May 23rd, 2016, 10:51 PM
I've never drunk a Starbucks, so I certainly can live w/o it. I avoid drinking all liquids made with our city water because it's fluoridated. I limit myself to 1 c. of decaf daily. (Problems with reflux.) I no longer can find the Millstone French Vanilla decaf coffee locally. I have to order it on line. I used to buy it from Amazon, but I've had better service from Wal-Mart, & the price is about the same. I like my coffee with a dollop of vanilla ice cream, some milk, & a dash of vanilla extract, plus my Stevia sweetener.

bakermom
May 24th, 2016, 01:05 AM
Teen and 20's grand kids love all those lattes filled with tons of flavors and calories. I tell them I grew up drinking lattes for breakfast. My mother made a pot of coffee in the morning for her, my father, my grandfather and all of us kids. Kids were started with half coffee, half milk and sugar and as we grew older the milk was decreased. No fancy latte name just a caffeine fix to get us going.

my mom said her mom always had a pan(yes pan, not coffeepot) of coffee on the stove and would ladle the kids a mixture of coffee and milk . Is your family of Hungarian descent? Just wondering if it is an ethnic thing-you are the only person mention this other than my mom

stationarymom
May 24th, 2016, 02:03 AM
It sounds like the US Embassador might be the spoiled American here.it's great that your kids are bilingual, I hear Russian is difficult to learn.

Iris Girl
May 24th, 2016, 08:45 AM
Not being a coffee drinker ever it would not bother me in the least if there was not one in 1000 miles. And starbucks to me doesn't even sound like coffee more like a sweet treat that makes people think they like coffee. With so much caramel, chocolate whip cream and other sauces how do you call that coffee?

grammaterry
May 24th, 2016, 06:43 PM
Never drank a starbucks coffee. Saw one once in an airport but the price scared me off. I think a cup of black coffee should cost about $1. $2 if I have unlimited refills.

sewluvit
May 24th, 2016, 07:15 PM
That's a funny story. Plenty of Starbucks around here, DH hates their coffee mainly because he doesn't care for all the differerent blends of coffees as he drinks his coffee black with sugar. Of course, the high costs has something to do with it also. He prefers Mac Donald's coffee and usually gets it at the senior rate.

I occasionally get a double cappuccino with just the foam, no sugar or added flavors and maybe a dash of cinnamon or chocolate, don't mind the cost because I enjoy it.

Hubby and I both dislike Starbucks coffee and like Macdonald and Tim Hortons. We both drink it black so it has to suit our taste. I do love a plain latte (no sugar or flavor) but only rarely ever have one. We both like an iced cappucino when it's hot outside.