• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kimsophia
    Missouri Star
    • Oct 2014

Hooting into the new week

Hoo hoot! How are the night owls? I hope you had nice weekends. I did some gardening, some cooking, some sewing, some cleaning (over at my buddy's house) and sold his weight bench on Craigslist for him. He's going to be moving in a couple of months. He's going to need to buy a used car. He's only got $1400 saved so far so I'm thinking a 1990s Japanese car might be good. Anybody know anything about used cars?

What's up with you? @,@
  • redcaboose1717
    Missouri Star
    • Apr 2011

Re: Hooting into the new week

No, I have only purchase 6 used cars in my life.....and 4 of them were for the kids after they got their Driver's License.
    The best car I purchased used was a 1980 Toyota Celica.....that car was one awesome car. The only problem I had with it was ( I think ) a pulley for the transmission ...but I might be wrong on the part. It didn't cost much to fix, and I drove it until we had our 4th child......the three kids ( they were all under 8 ) fit into the car just fine, but we went into a Ford AreoStar ( used ) after that. The Ford van was the last used car I purchased for myself / family in 1988....and I drove that for 6-7 yrs before getting a new Chrysler van.
    I purchased used cars for all of the kids from private owners and had good luck with that. OF course we paid attention to certain things my dad always taught me as a kid on what to look out for when purchasing used.
    The reason I won't purchase used from a dealership is because I traded in a Ford Ranger Truck that had a gasket problem, and was totally honest with the dealer. ( the check engine light was also on when I traded iit in for a 2004 Explorer ) That truck was on the lot the NEXT DAY at 11 am !!! ( I traded it in around 4pm the previous day. ) So, all they probably did was TURN the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT off, cleaned it up, and stuck it back out on the lot. That experience made me really leery of purchasing used from any dealership, even though I did purchase the 1980 Toyota Celica in 1981 from a dealer(Buick).
    Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

• redcaboose1717
      Missouri Star
      • Apr 2011

One more thing....when purchasing ANY used car, I would recommend that you take it to a mechanic you trust.....and pay them a fee to check out the car / truck you are looking at. I think this saved us a lot of headaches in the long run. Each of the used cars we purchased for all 4 of the kids ran well, until the kids traded them in ( or sold them privately ) for a brand-new car / truck.
      Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
      http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

• stationarymom
        Missouri Star
        • Jun 2013

Hoot I'm glad to see someone else started the thread tonight.it sounds like you had a very productive day today.I didn't do much we went out because it was nice weather out, We needed to get some yard work done so we don't look like the Hillbilly's on the street(that's what I tell my DH).I didn't see anyone post about the Giant Dahlia so I'm guessing nobody has done one.Kim as far as used cars Toyota's seem to be good cars my DD had a Kia as her first car and she got several years out of that for little money.If you go through dealers they charge through the nose today.
        :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

• Cokie
          Missouri Star
          • Jan 2016

Busy weekend here. Some late spring cleaning, went and got flowers for the yard (my son will plant them for me tomorrow on his day off), cleaned out the fridge tonight - one of my least favorite jobs but it's all cleaned out now - it's one of those chores that's harder as I get older, to get in there and scrub down the walls and shelves of the fridge. Got groceries today, made a wreath for my front door, and went to dinner with my son. Got everything done on my to-do list for the weekend except the last border on my quilt top. Just waiting for the last load of laundry to finish. Up way past my bedtime and I'll probably feel it tomorrow but it's a good feeling to accomplish so much that's been on the list. Hope you all have a restful night's sleep and a great week! Good luck with the car shopping kimsophia.

Comment

• MayinJerset
            Missouri Star
            • May 2012

I'm a Night Owl tonight because of an upset stomach. Having some herb tea and it seems to be helping. We did a bit of gardening during the weekend, all the annuals have been put into big pots by our front door. Biggest pot is closest to the house and it doesn't received as much water as the other pots when it rains or the sprinklers are on so I planted some succulents in it as they don't require much water.

Cokie's post reminded me that I need to put a wreath on the front door. I hung all the wreaths up on a curtain rod in the garage so all I need DH to do is move some stuff so I can reach the one I want. Tummy has been settled for a good while so I think it's time for this Night Owl to get some more sleep. good night friends.jpg

Comment

• toggpine
              Missouri Star
              • Aug 2009

I just finished putting the dresser drawers together. I will never complain about IKEA again. At least all of their holes are pre-drilled I the correct place! I will have to get back inside the frame and re-adjust some of the guides so the drawers actually shut. Grrrr.

Apparently this cleaning/organizing project is ALL mine. No help offered from the husband quarter, even though the boxes that are left are his, or his family's photos. Now, most nights he will sit, watch TV, and sleep in the chair until midnight, two AM, or whenever I decide to go wake him up. Tonight he decides that he must be in bed at 10. Of course he does. I have stuff still on the bed. I hope he doesn't roll over, or he'll smack himself on one of my dresser drawers!
              I am going to miss the goal of having the room back in order by Sunday. Hopefully by the time Mr. Grumpy-Pants arrives home from work tomorrow it will be mostly dealt with. Lord willing, and the creek don't rise!

I'll catch you all later, as I have some more work to do if I want to sleep in y own bed tonight!
              Hugs, Cathy
              Be who you are and say what you feel
              because those who mind don't matter,
              and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

• stationarymom
                Missouri Star
                • Jun 2013

Cathy if you really miss the goal of having your room organized please feel free to come organize mine.
                :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

Working...
                X