PDA

View Full Version : Thank you, Pat and Gerri (Bubba and GrammaG) !! You just saved the day!

SallyO'Sews
May 19th, 2016, 11:31 AM
So, my DIL is getting her Master's degree this evening. We are so proud of her, as are her parents, who have made the trip up to Connecticut all the way from Louisiana. Since most of our New England family could not attend the wedding 2 years ago, I told her we would have a party Friday p.m. so her folks could meet my DH's relatives. I was thinking 30 or so.

Welp, couple days ago, she told me there will be 50 to 60!! Yes, we do have a big clan, and it's very rare that everyone is available to come. But this time they are all going to be there! I am thrilled beyond measure to be able to bless my DIL, who is truly a treasure to us.... but YIPES! How to feed this army? Getting fried chicken from the local grocery store deli, potato salad and veggie & fruit platters from Costo, plus making taco salad, rice, and meatballs in bbq sauce...

Then I just saw Pat's comment about crock-pot lasagne, and found Gerri's recipe. Looks easy and yummy! I'll brown the beef this evening and then just assemble tomorrow afternoon!

Thanks, and a great big quilty hug to both of you!

Blessings,
~ Sally \0/

Midge
May 19th, 2016, 12:26 PM
How wonderful that everyone can get together and meet. And congratulations to your DIL on her achievement. Sounds like you aren't stressing too bad over such a large guest list, but still, don't forget you are allowed to have fun at your own party!

jjkaiser
May 19th, 2016, 12:37 PM
Congratulations! Hope the weather is perfect and your party sounds like so much fun. Don't stress about the food, probably many will bring a dish to share and you will have way more than enough!! Take lots of pictures!!

Dollyquilts
May 19th, 2016, 01:13 PM
I was thinking many of the guests would bring a dish. It's the Southern way, for sure.

Dollyquilts
May 19th, 2016, 01:15 PM
I was confused, I thought the trip was going in the other direction. It's probably the New England way as well. You'll be fine. Some pasta salad and trays of cold cuts would fill some voids too.

auntiemern
May 19th, 2016, 01:16 PM
Wow...that is great they will all be there. Last year at the forum retreat I made a roaster full of pasta w/meat sauce. Karen provided the salad and garlic bread. There were around 45 I think...and I had left overs. It's not really that hard. Just need to adjust the recipe for # of people served.

SallyO'Sews
May 19th, 2016, 02:06 PM
Wow...that is great they will all be there. Last year at the forum retreat I made a roaster full of pasta w/meat sauce. Karen provided the salad and garlic bread. There were around 45 I think...and I had left overs. It's not really that hard. Just need to adjust the recipe for # of people served.

One more reason I am so sorry I missed that retreat!! :icon_mooooh: I make a pretty mean baked ziti and would have done a couple of big pans of it, but my own oven is not working (the broiler is fine and so is the stovetop, but I can't bake or roast anything), and I can't use DD's because she has several orders of cupcakes that she is making for parties for the weekend (one of her "other" jobs, besides being a Kindergarten teacher). So the crock-pot is definitely my friend!

MayinJerset
May 19th, 2016, 05:46 PM
Congrats to your DIL, and have a Ball with family celebrating.

bubba
May 19th, 2016, 06:02 PM
That lasagna is really good...even with the changes I made!!! MM took it for lunch last night and commented about it again this morning. Will definitely make it again!

redcaboose1717
May 19th, 2016, 11:56 PM
Marilyn's idea of Lasagna in a electric roaster is a good idea .....

I was going to suggest making the lasagna in a roaster as well. I have done this in the past for a couple of family dinners ( we have a total of 49 in the family now ) ......It was really easy to do. I had help with others making a few desserts and 3 people brought fixings for the salad & they even made homemade salad dressings & garlic toast ! It was a simple clean up too.

Good luck ! :)

Andrea F
May 20th, 2016, 12:51 AM
Congratulations to your DIL for the big achievement! It's wonderful that everybody comes together to celebrate her. The Lasagna sounds like a great plan, I have to find the recipe when I'm home :)

stationarymom
May 20th, 2016, 02:20 AM
Congrats on your DIl"s accomplishment.Good Luck with the party,try to remember to have fun also.

bubba
May 20th, 2016, 02:38 AM
When we do big gatherings, we have a baked potato bar......buy a couple cases of potatoes, bake them, chop up all the condiments and make a big buffet with a tossed salad at the end!

songbird857
May 20th, 2016, 07:46 AM
Congrats to your DIL!!
Tell me - if you are still getting fried chicken, is it from Big Y??? Loooooooooooove their fried chicken ;)

SallyO'Sews
May 20th, 2016, 12:11 PM
Congrats to your DIL!!
Tell me - if you are still getting fried chicken, is it from Big Y??? Loooooooooooove their fried chicken ;)

Nope; Stop & Shop in Windsor. I've ordered 100 pieces (you can order in increments of 50 if you call a couple of days ahead). But I do love Big Y; don't shop there often as there's one S & S near my house and another near the church where DH serves, so I usually go there.

Over40momma
May 20th, 2016, 12:39 PM
Sally, remember to take the time to relax and enjoy being with all your family. Too often we let the details steal the joy of the moment. Congrats to your Daughter in Law.