PDA

View Full Version : Eek!

SallyO'Sews
May 19th, 2016, 11:04 AM
When there's evidence of a little friend having visited the classroom:

"Miss M.! Pick up your feet and put them on your chair!"

"Why?"

"Because a mouse just might coming walking through here!"

*cue mental image of a mouse with a bowler hat and cane strolling across the floor*

"Maybe we could just take a sword .... and then *jab* we *jab* could just *jab* poke it *jab* like THIS!"

"We do not stab mice with swords, children!"

"AND, we should never use electricity on mice, because if the electrical trap was connected to the power lines, and a lightning storm happened,and the lightning struck the power line when the mouse was attached to it, when the workers came to fix it, they could get sick."

Sandy Navas
May 19th, 2016, 04:53 PM
My Dad always told us that when he was a kid in school a mouse ran up the teacher's leg and she stomped two quarts of water out of it . . . and I believed him.

Dad had us kids catch mice in the barn one summer (he was always giving us jobs to keep us busy and to teach us humanity . . . among other things) - and he would give us a penny apiece. We used a have-a-heart trap and put the mice in a large wood barrel with wood over the top and a couple bricks . . . Dad was pleased and paid us but said he'd expected them to be dead. My brother, five years older . . . perhaps about 14 at the time . . . showed us how to turn off the multi-breaker in the barn, and how to break the glass from a large light bulb . . . and how to painstakingly attach the mice, one by one, to the wires on the inside of the bulb . . . and how to turn the multi-breaker back on . . . and . . .

To this day he denies ever having anything to do with this unfortunate operation which would probably have PETA on us in a second in today's environment.

Some day I will explain how to get rid of horseflies, locust, irritating sparrows, bums, drunks, Dad's favorite electrician, and even some wandering pigs who made their way into the neighbor's mash pit . . .

mischiefkat
May 19th, 2016, 05:21 PM
You had an interesting childhood. Kathy

bubba
May 19th, 2016, 06:07 PM
When I was a kid sitting in Mass one night, the altar boy start running back and forth across the altar. Nobody could figure out why. All of a sudden he took a flying leap and STOMP!!! He went and got a wastebasket and covered up the carcass of the poor rodent he had just annihilated......it was the highlight of the service!

mischiefkat
May 19th, 2016, 06:51 PM
When I was a kid we lived in my grampa's old house, no central heat, no insulation, corncob board walls and ceilings.The house was being updated and the 1st thing was a furnace My bedroom was next to the furnace and I had a vent that blew nice warm air. My mom took the light globe off the ceiling light,twisted a coat ,and hung her precious canary from the light base. Directly across from the vent. One day after school I opened the door,turned on the light, two mice on top of the bird's cage. My youngest sister who was behind me let out a blood curdling scream, scared the mice, then she split. One mouse is hanging on to the side of the cage. The other is trying to get back up through the hole they chewed,when sister returns with a broom, whacks the cage. The mouse on the side of the cage is hanging on for dear life, so she whacks the cage again. This time the mouse falls to the floor at her feet, she drops the broom, and starts jumping up and down one foot then the other, screaming her head off. Mom appears just in time to stop the swinging cage and save the poor bird. sister took off. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Kathy

songbird857
May 20th, 2016, 07:49 AM
Oh Sandy, if only you had a picture..........