• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peggiep
    Applique Angel
    • Oct 2015

Sunday Morning - Brrrr

Happy Sunday everyone. It is a dreary day and feels more like late October than mid-May! The wind is blowing and I am tempted to turn the furnace back on! Oh well, it just means that I can get into my sewing room without feeling guilty that I am not working in the flower beds. I think I will have a second cup of coffee and see what mischief I can get up to.

For those of you who are interested in M* swaps, there is a new one posted called "Grampz Prairie Flower" swap. It uses the tutorial that Jenny put out a few weeks ago and will be created using Christmas prints. Check it out if you have a chance.

Hope everyone has a great day and manages to get some time to enjoy themselves!
    Peggiep
    "I don't need to get organized, I just need a bigger sewing room." :)
  • MayinJerset
    Missouri Star
    • May 2012

Re: Sunday Morning - Brrrr

Brrr, same here in Jersey, heard the heat kick in during the night.

We ordered take out dinner last night, eggplant parm, spaghetti and salad, we only ate half so tonight's dinner is taken care of so I'm free to do whatever I want today. I'll venture out around mid day when it's a bit warmer as I bought a few succulents yesterday and I want to arrange them in one of my big outdoor pots. Sewing is next. Heard about a new swap and will check it out.
    Last edited by MayinJerset; May 15, 2016, 06:38 AM.

Comment

• Ginny B
      Missouri Star
      • Jan 2012

Good morning Peggie and all to follow. It is a little chilly here this morning but the sun is shining. We are supposed to set some record lows tonight though. I think I will pull my herb plants back into the house later. They can spend the night inside.

Lots of sew time for me this weekend. I have a craft fair next Friday where my dh works so I will be sewing a lot all week after work. Right now I am headed into the sewing room to use Jenny's method for 45* mitered corners from her self binding baby blanket on some placemats. I am very angly challenged, so wish me luck. I think I might do a couple of the baby blankets in flannel too if I have the time.

The sewing day will be broken up by a few hours of babysitting for our 3 yo grandson which should be fun.

Have a wonderful day everyone
      Ginny B
      Levittown, NY

Comment

• Lyndaj
        The Guild President
        • Dec 2015

Good morning. I too have the same weather as Peggie. It honestly looks and feels more like October out there.

I made some progress on my quilts yesterday until I took the sandwiched quilt to my machine and made a mess out of one partial row of stitch in the ditch quilting. Picking it out has been a nightmare as there are many tiny stitches in there.

Oh well. I need to get these quilts in the post by end of week, which right now is feeling ambitious.

Have a great day everyone.

Comment

• peggiep
          Applique Angel
          • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Lyndaj View Post
          Good morning. I too have the same weather as Peggie. It honestly looks and feels more like October out there.

I made some progress on my quilts yesterday until I took the sandwiched quilt to my machine and made a mess out of one partial row of stitch in the ditch quilting. Picking it out has been a nightmare as there are many tiny stitches in there.

Oh well. I need to get these quilts in the post by end of week, which right now is feeling ambitious.

Have a great day everyone.
          I had the same problem with a really pretty runner that was going to be a gift. Tried FMQ on my DM and it turned into a mess of tiny little stitches, right in the centre of the runner! I have managed to pick out most of the stitches, but it was painstaking. If nothing else, quilting has given me patience to "get it right". I will try again, but this time I will use the mid-arm instead.
          Peggiep

Comment

• JCY
            Missouri Star
            • Jul 2013

Our heat is on here. It's only 46 deg. out & cloudy. We leave our thermostat on the same setting 24/7, which is 75 deg. DH is cold all the time. If the house cools off enough, the furnace comes on. I don't understand why you'd feel guilty about having the furnace on if the weather is chilly. With our fluctuating temps. in Colorado in the spring, it could be 80 deg. one day & snowing the next! Ya just never know. With the thinner atmosphere, the temps. can range from 80's in the daytime to 40's at night.

I stayed home from church today. Very tired & feeling a bit under the weather. I will take it easy, but I do plan to do some sewing. Yest. I cut 5" squares from some FQs in my stash. I have some white honey bun strips left over from another project. I plan to make some sample blocks of the new tutorial Lattice Quilt pattern. If I like how they look, I'll go ahead & make a baby quilt.

I hope everyone enjoys the rest of their week end.

Comment

• KarenC
              Missouri Star
              • Apr 2015

Good morning to all. Weather is mild here today, maybe some rain later on. Busy cutting triangles this morning out of a few pieces, before I take the template and background fabrics to LQS for laser cutting. 520 triangles out of gray fabrics seems too daunting to me. Spent yesterday starching away. Went through 4 cans of spray starch, but whoever on this forum suggested drenching the fabric in starch and letting it dry before ironing, I LOVE you! This has made such a difference on some other cutting I am doing. DD coming over later today to watch some more episodes of The Amazing Race, our favorite TV show. Hope all of you have a great day today, and the week to come.
              Karen
              Spring, TX

Comment

• Midge
                Missouri Star
                • Mar 2014

It was 39 deg F and graupel was coming down when I took the dog out this morning. Today is the Cleveland Marathon, which runs through my neighborhood, and everybody generally turns out to cheer the runners on as they race by. This year it's winter gear and umbrellas though. They looked cold. Even the dog didn't want to be out today. He turned around and headed for home as soon as he did his business. I'm content to read about the race from the comforted of my house - where yes, the furnace has been on all morning. I should also note that the wheelchair racers had to be particularly hardy today. On their recumbent bikes, the ice and rain were coming right into their faces.

Comment

• Cokie
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jan 2016

It's in the low 40's today and really windy! The sun shines for a bit, then it clouds up like it's going to pour rain, then the sun comes out again! I'd love to stay inside but I need to venture out to the grocery store in a bit. DS was going to take me to buy flowers for the yard today but I think I'll ask him to wait until next weekend when it's (hopefully!) a bit warmer. I'm going to get my errands done, come home, turn on the baseball game, throw in a load of laundry and sew for a while. Such an exciting life I lead...LOL

Comment

• mario1360
                    The Guild President
                    • Mar 2016

good morning, well it is 11H45.....where does time go ????
                    very cold here in Montreal, amazing it was full blown summer yesterday and today we woke up to a dreary fall day....washing clothes and relaxing today, lots of fabric to fold properly and to sort by color, that will be my relaxing part....every one have a blessed Sunday.
                    Sew sew sew.
                    So? So? So?

Comment

• rebeccas-sewing
                      Missouri Star
                      • Apr 2010

I love this time of year. It's overcast right now. The sun will be shining before I know it - 8:45 a.m. - 64 degrees. A high of 75 is expected. I rarely go to the beaches so I don't often think about our proximity to them. These overcast mornings are a reminder of just how close the ocean is. When the heat of the summer comes I'll be wishing we were even closer. This causes me to pause and ask myself why we so seldom visit our beaches. I think it has to do with the fact that everyone else wants to be there as well. I'm not big on being around lots of people. Also, I don't go in the water and I don't sun bathe anymore. The beaches that we would like to visit aren't as close.
                      Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

• MayinJerset
                        Missouri Star
                        • May 2012

Rebecca, We visited the Laguna Beach several times when DS#3 lived in Orange County, very nice even for DH & I who aren't too crazy about going to the beach. Could be because we're near the Garden State Parkway exit for The Shore and our highways from Memorial Day to Labor Day are always packed. We're also near the bay and our big Beach Days are driving a few miles to pick up a fresh fish dinner and sitting along the walkway looking out over the bay. Sure beats fighting the crowds for a bit of sea air and sunshine.

This is one of the Raritan Bay views from the promenade along the bay. That's the Verrazano Bridge and the Manhattan skyline. Don't seem to be any boats or ships. Click on the photo to enlarge it so you can see it better.
                        keyports promenade.jpg
                        Last edited by MayinJerset; May 15, 2016, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• Tracy14
                          4 Patch Pro
                          • Apr 2016

It was a cool 5 degrees for us in Melbourne Australia early this morning. Cold for us. lol
                          I haven't done any sewing today but I did manage to get out in the front garden for a bit of weeding.

Last night I was so proud of myself. I used the buttonhole foot on my sewing machine for the first time and made a button hole. A small thing but big for me.

Comment

• peggiep
                            Applique Angel
                            • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Tracy14 View Post
                            It was a cool 5 degrees for us in Melbourne Australia early this morning. Cold for us. lol
                            I haven't done any sewing today but I did manage to get out in the front garden for a bit of weeding.

Last night I was so proud of myself. I used the buttonhole foot on my sewing machine for the first time and made a button hole. A small thing but big for me.
                            Congratulations...not a small thing...I have never attempted to try that wonderful feature on my machine. It somehow seems intimidating to me. Well done!
                            Peggiep

Comment

Working...
                            X