PDA

View Full Version : Biting your tongue

Hulamoon
May 15th, 2016, 02:04 AM
Is so hard to do!

My dd wanted to take me out to a late Mothers day brunch. I met at her house and she gave me a wonderful purse, she knew I needed it. lol I gave little Lee this adorable teething toy, His first tooth is coming in!

Anyway, she wanted to take me to a restaurant I never went to, right next to the most popular breakfast place on the island. It was based on Hemingway. The furniture and decor was so charming, I could picture myself in the Keys. What could be so bad?

The food was awful! For $11 I recieved a scrambled egg cooked to cardboard with a sprinkle of parm cheese, a piece of whole wheat bread cut in half and two slices of a small bagette. Some kind of cream cheese spread. For $11 !!!

We were having a nice time and I just couldn't bring myself to complain. So I'm doing it here, lol

jjkaiser
May 15th, 2016, 02:28 AM
Well at least she took you out, and the atmosphere was great, so two out of three?

stationarymom
May 15th, 2016, 02:29 AM
You'll have to try to remember it's the thought that counts,her heart was in the right place.I can understand being frustrated but maybe she had never been either.

Hulamoon
May 15th, 2016, 02:40 AM
She was there before. When I said complain I meant sending it back. I didn't want to ruin our morning.

easyquilts
May 15th, 2016, 08:01 AM
Honestly... I've had that happen.... But with meals I've paid for.... It feels like such a waste of money....and you wonder why you didn't stick with what you knew you liked...

Jean Sewing Machine
May 15th, 2016, 09:23 AM
I always was wary when my daughter( youngest) was a teenager and wanted to take me out to eat. It often meant she had some bombshell news to drop on me and she knew I wouldn't be able to go crazy over the news out in public! She's 40 now and we still laugh about this every time she asks me out to eat!

Sorry about the disappointing breakfast!

Grandma G
May 15th, 2016, 09:30 AM
Lorie - sounds like she wanted to impress you. It did but not in the way she must have envisioned. I'm sure she was paying for the atmosphere and not the food. Kind of like paying the price for a Polo shirt when there are other shirts in the same style just as good without the little guy on a horse on it.

You did the right thing - biting your tongue. In all likelihood you would have hurt her feelings and that isn't worth the price of a tasty meal in the grand scheme of things. And who knows, maybe at some point in the future the subject of the not so great meal will come up and you can "gently" give your opinion...

Snip Snip
May 15th, 2016, 09:50 AM
Yes, I think biting your tongue was the right thing to do at the time, but letting the restaurant know their food is sub-par is not being rude. Maybe a note to the manager now, or a phone call. Not to try to get a free meal, but to inform them that their cooks aren't doing their job.

grammaterry
May 15th, 2016, 10:28 AM
I don' t know. I own a restaurant and I would want you to tell me. As far as sending the food back...that is not a reflection on your daughter or her taste in food. If you go on and on about the beauty of the place, the atmosphere, etc. Now, how was HER food. if both of you had bad food then the problem lies with the cook. I always say, if the food is good, you won't remember how much you paid for it. Don't bring it up with your daughter now. the moment has passed. But, if she takes you out again and this happens, quietly slip away and find the manager and let him know that the food is subpar. A good manager will handle this discreetly.

Midge
May 15th, 2016, 10:45 AM
I'm with grammaterry. You wouldn't want to spoil an otherwise nice occasion with your daughter if she felt bad that you hated the food. If you could handle it discreetly, letting the server know you didn't want to make your daughter uncomfortable, it would have been a great solution. I love trying new restaurants. My feeling is I'm always up for even the smallest new thing to try. But I realize that dining out is a very individualized thing. Example - my ex would only go to restaurants he know and only order the same thing every time. Only one way in which we were diametrically opposed. Fortunately my son has inherited my proclivities and laughs with a sad headshake about his dad.

rebeccas-sewing
May 15th, 2016, 01:15 PM
How disappointing! I'm going to take Terry's advice if it ever happens to me. Quietly taking the manager aside to complain is less embarrassing for everyone concerned. I think you were so smart not to complain to your daughter. How was her meal?

alliek
May 15th, 2016, 02:27 PM
You know i have found this to be so true with eateries that have "reputations". Do they only serve the critics good food, or someone who is known to the public and serve the worst of food to the "great unwashed". If I sound a little put off, I am. We went through this yesterday at my granddaughters college graduation luncheon. My son and DIL had made the reservations in February! The graduation went overtime by 30 minutes. The 12:30 res. arrived with us at 1:00. It was complete chaos. They couldn't handle the reservations they had, never mind walk ins. It was a buffet. Picture this. About 300 people, no plates when you finally reached the table, no food in some of the servers, no bread (all were out and not refilled timely), Noone on the floor to ask. Waitress' whizzing by with drinks, to busy and harried to help. People trying to reach the buffet table through pushing as there was no organization to and from the buffet. Unbelievable. I managed to get a cup of soup and crackers. the saving grace? We were sitting outside on at the end of a pleasant deck in the shade and together (twelve of us). Eventually we organized ourselves and sent the younger crowd in to gather what they could to share with the older folks who just couldn't manage the fray. Unfortunately, they did not charge any less, of course, not that my son requested it. I sure would have if I was the host going on the reputation of this place. Obviously this place only thought of $$$'s and not the logistics of handling their overwhelming reservations. You just never know. Well got this off my chest!!LOL.:icon_bump:

kensington
May 15th, 2016, 02:51 PM
No need to complain to her, just politely send your food back and ask for fresh eggs. Firmly insist. Be nice but sure.

It's easy to say that a good restaurant gets busy and once in a while something slips out of the kitchen that is not top notch. In those moments, send it back and respectfully as for fresh food.

Hulamoon
May 15th, 2016, 03:24 PM
I always was wary when my daughter( youngest) was a teenager and wanted to take me out to eat. It often meant she had some bombshell news to drop on me and she knew I wouldn't be able to go crazy over the news out in public! She's 40 now and we still laugh about this every time she asks me out to eat!

Sorry about the disappointing breakfast!

That is totally my youngest dd. She has done that before. One time we met at the restaurant and she got so bad I threw down the tip and walked out.

This is a very tiny place, housed in an old Hawaiian building with the room the size of your living room. It was a cute little store for awhile. The logistics of getting up and taking to someone would of been impossible. She had a crepe that was really good. I would give it a second chance, maybe lunch. Thanks for listening :)

Alliek, complain away!

GuitarGramma
May 16th, 2016, 01:43 AM
This is what's so great about the M* Forum. We can keep up a good facade when it's important socially, then come here and tell our buddies the real story!