PDA

View Full Version : Back from Disney

auntiemern
May 12th, 2016, 04:16 PM
Where to begin. The trip down was extremely stressful. It rained 9 out of the 12 hrs I drove. The kids were fighting, the mom was crabby, and the Gran was just downright done...before it ever started. After a night of rest in Macon, GA...we were then off to FL and Disney World. (Flying was not an option...it would have cost to much for 5 of us) Finally made it to our hotel about 4 PM...contacted Blondies Sarah, who along with her DH, and the ever adorable Tyler came to the hotel so we could finally meet. Jabbered for a bit, then we went out to eat a lovely dinner.
Day 2 stormed all day, but DD managed to get stuff rearranged for the parks, and we went food shopping and hung out then went to dinner at Medievil Times....Dinner and show. It was wonderful, an our own little Bubby was picked by the King to be knighted. (pic below)
We did almost 2 full days at Magic Kingdom.The opening parade was spectacular. Kids still fighting, DD was in manager mode, and Gran was in her rented scooter trying my very hardest not to run over people (that seem to be terrible rude, and not paying attention to where they were going, or who was around them) Mom the manager insisted that everyone ride Big Thunder Mountain. Oldest DGD is petrified of heights, suffers from severe anxiety, including social anxiety. As her mom assured her it would be alright, we got to the front of the lines, and they wanted her to sit with a stranger, so that one of us adults would be with the little kids. Totally freaking out at this point, so she road with Mackenzie (9) and I rode directly behind her. She cried and was scared to death the entire time. Her 9 yr old sister spent the entire ride trying to calm big sissy down. It was so bad I had to give her 1/2 of one of my xanax to calm her down. After that the Gran told the mom...she WOULD NOT try to make any of those kids ride something they didn't want to do. Planning everything down to the minute just is not feasible. Having a plan of attack is a good idea...but not to the point you aren't able to just enjoy the experience.
We did Mickeys Backyard BBQ at Fort Wilderness for one evening meal. No one bothered to tell us I could not take a wheel chair or anything from one place to another. So we rode the bus to that and there were no wheel chairs there to get me to the BBQ which for me, was a long way to walk. By the time I got there I couldn't walk or breathe. They promised they would get me back to the bus station on a cart so I didn't have to go through that again. The BBQ, band, trick roper and characters were wonderful. (Mickey and Minnie, Chip and Dale, and Goofy). The food was fantastic and watching the my Mackenzie out there on the dance floor with all of them was so much fun. However when it was all over...the people that promised they would get me back to the transfer station were no where to be found...so I had to walk another 1/4 -1/2 mile from the pavilion back. Needless to say I was in agony by the time we got back. Saturday we went to Hollywood where I got hurt really bad getting on to the Rocking Roller Coaster (not posting pics of that one cuz it is just was not pretty) So I was basically done being able to walk more than a few feet. I am not sure which days we were where at this point. DD and I rode the Tower of Terror by ourselves. We rode the flying carpets, and It's a Small World. Saw a Bugs Life in 3D (highly recommend this one). I don't do water rides so they did those on their own. Oldest GD sat Splash Mountain out with me. We saw all the parades at Magic Kingdom and the fireworks their one night, and Illuminations at Epcot the last night. It was and adventure for lack of a better word.
My favorite thing was our dinner at the Crystal Palace where I got to meet Tigger. (I have always love T I double G RRRR) It was an adventure for sure, and I would love to go back..but do it at my pace and see all the things I missed. (but not with the kids or DD) entirely to stressful for me.
No way to possibly put all pics on here. Once I figure out a link to all DD's pics I will let you all know.

Neller
May 12th, 2016, 04:39 PM
Ah, Disney World... the happiest place on Earth (unless it's not!)! The first time we went everyone in the family was sick. When we got there, we thought parking in the Grumpy parking lot would be an omen. Right away we saw a father pinching his little boy's cheeks, saying, "We're going to have fun, dammit! Whether you like it or not!" It was the motto for our trip but we did manage to have a good time even through the sickness. I'm sorry things were hard for you.

jjkaiser
May 12th, 2016, 04:49 PM
Well glad you made it home in one piece. I really enjoyed your story, I felt like I was almost there again! Although your trip sounded both wonderful and terrible at the same time. Ah, memories. You will get many laughs recalling the details of this family vacation. It should last you for a good couple years!

quiltingtrish
May 12th, 2016, 05:06 PM
What a trip! I hope you are resting up now. Love the photos you posted, at least in these everyone seems happy. :)

Grandma G
May 12th, 2016, 05:27 PM
That was quite the trip. Gabe looks so precious with the King. What a perfect photo. I know it might have seemed to be the vacation that if something was going to go wrong it did but it also created life time memories. Loved your narration and the pictures are fabulous.

K. McEuen
May 12th, 2016, 05:37 PM
Ya know, you appear to be enjoying that Tigger hug entirely too much ...

Was gonna say I like Gabe's cool shades, but those are his regular glasses, aren't they?

tsladaritz
May 12th, 2016, 05:55 PM
Oh boy. My sister, her dd, my mom and I did a trip like that when I was around 13 and my niece was around 5-6. It is a challenge when you have a group of people of different ages and abilities!
My dh loves going and we have gone several times as adults. The last 2 times we went I got sick. This makes me wonder since everyone has posted of having such challenges or sickness on the trip. LOL

I am glad you had the opportunity to go and survived it. I hope you were not hurt too badly and your next trip goes smoother.

snippet
May 12th, 2016, 06:17 PM
I was so worried about you and this trip. It costs so much to go to the parks you naturally want to cram all the goodness in.

I'm happy y'all had a good time though. Just wash over the bad stuff and remember all the fun you had with the kids. That's the priceless memories you want to keep.

Yeah, that hug with Tigger is wonderful!

Simply Quilting
May 12th, 2016, 07:33 PM
Sounds like quite the adventure. Glad you were able to see so many things and that you have made it safely back home. Thank you for sharing the pictures.

Dollyquilts
May 12th, 2016, 08:00 PM
I would not have made it if I had to do all that walking. I can't into get into my doctor's office from the parking lot in the professional building without my electric cart.

KarenC
May 12th, 2016, 08:29 PM
I went once with my daughter over 20 years ago, and still do not need to return for a long time. I like amusement parks, but excessive lines, I do not. I have other relatives, who must go back several times a year, every year. We all have our favorites. Nice photos, and memories you will always have though.

Kgrammiecaz
May 12th, 2016, 08:43 PM
You all look amazing in your pics. Sounds like you enjoyed many of the best areas. You do need to do a trip where you can do things your way. Disney is so not just dor little kids. Us big kids love it too. I plan on getting an annual pass before Christmas this year. Have not been there in years. I have to say I am disappointed in Disney for not assisting you more. That is not usually the case.

So sorry I flaked on getting to meet up with you. And I would have loved to meet your family as well. Friday morning I was very sick only to discover I had food poisening and was sick through to Monday. I am grateful for having a nurse as a daughter. Saved me an emergency room trip.

Hopimg to see more pics. And glad you are all home safely.

auntiemern
May 13th, 2016, 12:04 PM
You all look amazing in your pics. Sounds like you enjoyed many of the best areas. You do need to do a trip where you can do things your way. Disney is so not just dor little kids. Us big kids love it too. I plan on getting an annual pass before Christmas this year. Have not been there in years. I have to say I am disappointed in Disney for not assisting you more. That is not usually the case.

So sorry I flaked on getting to meet up with you. And I would have loved to meet your family as well. Friday morning I was very sick only to discover I had food poisening and was sick through to Monday. I am grateful for having a nurse as a daughter. Saved me an emergency room trip.

Hopimg to see more pics. And glad you are all home safely.
I will be back in the not to distant future...we will get together then. We never got back to the room any night before 11:30 and going all day pooped me out.

WendyI
May 13th, 2016, 01:08 PM
I personally thought Disney was WAY over rated and I thought we were gonna starve to death. Very few places to eat that are decent unless you make reservations months in advance, and the hotel staff were useless there for helping us..and this was a hotel ON the resort! I'm surprised you couldn't take your scooter on the bus. I took mine everywhere when I was there (much to my ex's immense embarrassment I'm sure) including on the bus. The only place that wasn't very accommodating was one place in the jungle themed park...can't remember which now. If I ever get a chance to go to Florida again (unlikely), Liam and I will go to Universal Studios only.

I hope in spite of all that the kids enjoyed themselves. The pic of you with Tigger is awesome! I'm sure Gabe enjoyed his time!

CraftyBarb
May 13th, 2016, 01:18 PM
I have been to Disney a few times. Was in Florida in 2013 but did not do any of the parks. Just not my thing anymore. We love Old Town and would spend a lot of time walking around there. We were there in 2002 and did Busch Gardens, Cypress Gardens and the Kennedy Space Center. My next trip to Florida will be one way..lol.

SuzyQue
May 13th, 2016, 02:01 PM
So glad to see you have returned in one piece .....even if it is a very sore and tired one. That trip is daunting to the young and healthy.......not that you are not. Exhausting is hardly a big enough word!

auntiemern
May 13th, 2016, 05:35 PM
I personally thought Disney was WAY over rated and I thought we were gonna starve to death. Very few places to eat that are decent unless you make reservations months in advance, and the hotel staff were useless there for helping us..and this was a hotel ON the resort! I'm surprised you couldn't take your scooter on the bus. I took mine everywhere when I was there (much to my ex's immense embarrassment I'm sure) including on the bus. The only place that wasn't very accommodating was one place in the jungle themed park...can't remember which now. If I ever get a chance to go to Florida again (unlikely), Liam and I will go to Universal Studios only.

I hope in spite of all that the kids enjoyed themselves. The pic of you with Tigger is awesome! I'm sure Gabe enjoyed his time!
It isn't that I didn't enjoy myself...I just would have done things at a slower pace than DD did. Some of the advice she took from friends was great...others did not seem to be meant for the kids enjoyment...but geared towards the bigger, more adult rides. We had planned for months so we did make our reservations ahead of time, although the one restaurant we got into quite quickly (one of our favorites) and the food was great. We picked one of the 'least busy' weeks of the year...but there was a huge marching band competition, and a 700 squad cheerleader competition as well, so it was rather crowded. We stayed off site so I opted to rent my scooter in the park, because I did not want to be tasked with loading and unloading it daily at the parks. If I had done that I could have ridden everywhere. As it was each park has their own wheel chairs and scooters, I continually had to transfer from chair to scooter, and vice versa...the biggest problem arose for the BBQ...which was held at a Disney Resort, which has neither. (we were not aware of that)
The oldest GD (13) wanted to meet the characters and did not want to ride any big, high rides. Youngest GD (9) wanted to ride EVERY rollercoaster but is deathly afraid of the dark. Gabe was just going with the flow as long as his sister left him alone. That was a constant battle. Oldest GD suffers from severe anxiety like her Gran...so the sheer number of people had her on edge. So with all of that going on, non stop, it was not the dream vacation I had hoped for...mainly because if everyone else's cranky moods and their selfishness in wanting to do what they wanted...without giving a thought to how their behavior was affecting me. Yes they were concerned with my physical comfort, but not what they were putting me through mentally with their behavior. I hurt my foot quite badly, and DD hurt me in a very sensitive spot, trying to help me one day...Therefore my last 3 days in FL were very uncomfortable, as well as the 2 day drive back.
I have some very wonderful memories of my time there, and saw things I never dreamed I would see up close and personal.
Will I go back, yes...but not with my DD and grands, even though I love them to pieces. My vacation needs to be spent away from them, because I am with them all the time...either babysitting or running them here and there.
She is talking about a cruise next year....Maybe because I can get away from them from time to time on a cruise....I can even have my own room.
I am so looking forward to my week away for the forum retreat also....no kids, no hubby.....that is pure heaven to me, lol.

K. McEuen
May 13th, 2016, 06:36 PM
I am so looking forward to my week away for the forum retreat also....no kids, no hubby.....that is pure heaven to me, lol.

Yeah, and Gary is used to me answering her phone so she doesn't even have to talk to him if she doesn't want to. :D

Hulamoon
May 13th, 2016, 07:14 PM
Sounds stressful :( We went with 10 people, all dh's family. We were able to get away with our two girls and a cousin of the same age so it worked out well. If I had to hang out full time it would of drove me crazy. We came back so late one night with the girls everyone was asking if we ate. Yeah, we stopped at 7-11 and got some Hot Pockets and stuff. "oh those poor things".

kensington
May 13th, 2016, 07:42 PM
Disney World is the Happiest place in the world. But, there can be moments when you are tested. LOL. We had a day when it rained off and on the first time we went. I bought the Poncho and kept going. One thing about it is... the locals stay home on rain days and the lines aren't as long. :) I agree, I don't ride anything I don't want to ride. We have a plan, if hubs wants to ride a roller coaster... I shop and take pictures. Win, win.

My favorites are Mickey and Minnie... I love the Main Street Electrical Parade at Magic Kingdom and the Paint the Night Parade at Disneyland. The Festival of Fantasy Parade is fun because they pull you out to dance with your favorite character. I danced with Woody and Buzz!

I love shopping in Downtown Disney at the World of Disney the best! I buy, buy, buy stuff!

Glad you made it home. I'm always tired (exhausted) after vacation. But, when it comes to Disney World... I will always go back!

auntiemern
May 13th, 2016, 08:27 PM
Disney World is the Happiest place in the world. But, there can be moments when you are tested. LOL. We had a day when it rained off and on the first time we went. I bought the Poncho and kept going. One thing about it is... the locals stay home on rain days and the lines aren't as long. :) I agree, I don't ride anything I don't want to ride. We have a plan, if hubs wants to ride a roller coaster... I shop and take pictures. Win, win.

My favorites are Mickey and Minnie... I love the Main Street Electrical Parade at Magic Kingdom and the Paint the Night Parade at Disneyland. The Festival of Fantasy Parade is fun because they pull you out to dance with your favorite character. I danced with Woody and Buzz!

I love shopping in Downtown Disney at the World of Disney the best! I buy, buy, buy stuff!

Glad you made it home. I'm always tired (exhausted) after vacation. But, when it comes to Disney World... I will always go back!
Maybe it is the happiest place in the world...but not when you are with four b!tchy people....that no matter what you do, at least 2 of them are unhappy at the same time.....JS I want to go with someone to enjoy it...not to be held captive by my DD and 3 Grands, lol....I was actually going to fly 3 of them back...but the DD did not want to do that.

dwil23
May 13th, 2016, 10:07 PM

We spent a day at Busch Gardens Williamsburg in the rain and it was great! Like you said, we bought ponchos and the kids got to ride whatever they wanted as many times as they wanted. There probably wasn't more than a 100 people in the park. I'm just not a theme park kind of person, though, and with the prices they charge? Now, there is one theme park I do want to go to - in Hamilton MO -anybody been there? :D?

kensington
May 13th, 2016, 10:11 PM
PS... Jordan says that he doesn't know where the mix up was... but you should have been able to take your chair on the bus with you that you rode to the Back Yard BBQ.

kensington
May 13th, 2016, 10:13 PM
We spent a day at Busch Gardens Williamsburg in the rain and it was great! Like you said, we bought ponchos and the kids got to ride whatever they wanted as many times as they wanted. There probably wasn't more than a 100 people in the park. I'm just not a theme park kind of person, though, and with the prices they charge? Now, there is one theme park I do want to go to - in Hamilton MO -anybody been there? :D?

Hey... we used to go there all the time. DH was stationed out there, and the ship bought four family passes for everyone to use. We used them more than any other family. 1-2 a week we would pick them up and go with the kids. Great summer!

kensington
May 13th, 2016, 10:17 PM
Did you get your ears? I have four pairs now! Ya gotta get the ears!

auntiemern
May 13th, 2016, 11:06 PM
Did you get your ears? I have four pairs now! Ya gotta get the ears!

I got 2 prs. A zebra pair at Animal Kingdom, and a Minnie pair like yours in the pic. Should have 3. The host at one of our theme dinners found a pink bling pair and put them in my cart basket...but DD claimed them before I even saw them since I had to wait for them to bring my cart. SMH...

snippet
May 14th, 2016, 04:53 AM
It is really tough for a family to make everyone happy there.

The first time we went, the kids were younger and so we all stayed together and did all the rides we could. Alan was probably 8 and there were a few rides he was too short for so I sat out with him while Grace and my friend Mike rode. One time I tricked him into doing the Tower of Terror. On the last day we split up and let the kids decide what park and rides they wanted to revisit. That was good, so then we didn't have to hear any "but I wanted to go on this again, but you wouldn't let me"

The next time we went, the kids were in their teens. We mostly stayed together, but occasionally did a divide and conquer when only a part of the group wanted to do something and the other half didn't. It really was nice that they were older and could venture out on their own a bit.

I think you deserve a certificate, medal and trophy Marilyn! That was a vacation that will go down in history!

RockinLou
May 14th, 2016, 05:36 AM
We were there in 2002 and did Busch Gardens, Cypress Gardens and the Kennedy Space Center. My next trip to Florida will be one way..lol.

you must have been to Cypress Gardens just before it was damaged by the hurricanes... it is now Legoland Florida, which gets terrible reviews :-(

RockinLou
May 14th, 2016, 05:40 AM
I am headed to Disney this summer for 3 days, I'll take my 5 year old son as his birthday present. My mom will come too but we are both 100% okay with anyone going off and doing their own thing or going home early. It's really hard to keep a big group happy. I know it's known as a family vacation spot, but I have most enjoyed the trips when I only took one child with me. my Mr. B and I are going to have a GREAT time together! I can't wait to tell him about it!

We have hotel room, fast passes and a few meals booked and pre-paid already ;-)