PDA

View Full Version : my daughter.....the village idiot!

bubba
May 12th, 2016, 03:08 PM
Lord knows why she thought it was a good idea to send Mel, who has been home sick with the flu all week to school today. They are now at urgent care after Mel got lightheaded and fainted at school!!!!

Really.....she makes me crazy!

LindaKay75
May 12th, 2016, 03:32 PM
Oh no!! I had the flu and it wiped me out for 10 days, went into respiratory infection too. Was even on antibiotics. Can't mess around with this new strain of flu, OR any flu for that matter. I pray that he will be okay. School should be put on back burner until he's well.

Dollyquilts
May 12th, 2016, 03:34 PM
We are dealing with the school at the present because my DGD, who is hoping to be able to graduate in May, has missed so much school this year. She has had a ruptured ovarian cyst and mononucleosis. This is the second time she has had mono. She is exhausted most of the time. Her assistant principal is a first class bitch and my daughter, who is like a grizzly bear mama about her kids, has been several rounds with her. She has issued an edict that my DGD must have 103 temperature before she can go home from school and that she does not "look" ill. I don't know where she got her medical degree. My daughter spent a week gathering documentation and doctors' reports. Your daughter probably is afraid of the Nazi school administration and that's why she sent Mel to school. Maybe Emily needs to faint in this woman's office in order to get some sympathy.

alliek
May 12th, 2016, 03:55 PM
Oh No. Poor girl, I'm sure your daughter feels terrible. Maybe Mel wanted to go. Bed rest for at least 5 to seven days. Lots of liquids, you know the drill. I truly hope she feels better.

bubba
May 12th, 2016, 03:57 PM
Tiffany just texted me from the exam room. Mel has severe hearing problems that has resulted from a form of hereditary deafness called cookie cutter syndrome. They were checking her ears because of the dizziness and found they were both impacted!!! She has had nine surgeries on her ears/tonsils/adenoids since she was four, and she is turning 13 in July. They had to flush out both her ears and she has now lost both tubes that had been in place, but because of a severe buildup of wax, they both have now come out :(

She did have a virus, but the doctor said she is now over that, so that is good. They are waiting now to find out the next step.

alliek
May 12th, 2016, 04:00 PM
Oh boy that little girl has had it this past week! I'm praying for her right now to be on the right road toward feeling better. So sorry.

Suzette
May 12th, 2016, 04:27 PM
When my daughter was in school (she graduated two years ago), we could not send them if they had a temperature of 99 or higher. If parents sent their kids anyway, the school would send them home. That protects the sick kids and all the healthy ones that might get infected from them being at school.

I hope your granddaughter is soon on the mend. The flu is one nasty piece of business.

bubba
May 12th, 2016, 04:27 PM
It amazes me she was not complaining of ear pain with as much buildup in them. Tiffany said it was the worse she has ever had. She did faint again at the doctors, but at least they were there to help her!

quiltingtrish
May 12th, 2016, 05:10 PM
Oh my - I hope she is on the mend soon with her flu symptoms and hope something can be done about her ears. I will just put her in my prayers.

DeniseSm
May 12th, 2016, 05:21 PM
Poor Mel. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

bakermom
May 12th, 2016, 05:39 PM
It can be a catch 22. After 10 days absent our school dist gets nasty and starts sending notes home about truancy. My DD missed more than 10 days because they kept sending her home because her coughing bothered the teacher. She was not sick, not contagious, just had a lingering cough. DR said it was fine for her to go, teacher didn't want her there, school system got p++++y cause she was absent too many days.

JCY
May 12th, 2016, 06:48 PM
I got mono my first year of nursing school & had to drop out. I was on complete bed rest for a month. I was allowed up only to eat & use the bathroom. I have never been soooo tired in my whole life. Well, when I got West Nile Virus a few yrs. ago might be a close 2nd. I missed 2 wks. of work with that & wished I could have stayed home another week. Others in Colo. were not so lucky. Some died; others were in ICU, in rehab for weeks, etc. And now that Zika virus is cropping up in the US.

Dollyquilts
May 12th, 2016, 06:53 PM
JCY, my DGD would cry in the mornings when she had to get out of bed. She was having difficulty staying awake in class and driving home. It was scary how much sleep she was requiring. She also had severe headaches and nausea. She ended up in Urgent Care one night. They were there until 2:00 a.m. and my poor daughter had to get up at 6:00 and leave for work. But yet she doesn't really look sick and needs to have at least 103 degrees of temp.

KarenC
May 12th, 2016, 08:34 PM
Praying that everyone gets better soon, and without too severe education setbacks. They do get pretty strict these days, and sometimes are afraid to make any exceptions.

Dollyquilts
May 12th, 2016, 08:49 PM
Praying that everyone gets better soon, and without too severe education setbacks. They do get pretty strict these days, and sometimes are afraid to make any exceptions.

I think it's fear of losing a federal dollar when they should be concerned about their students' health.

stationarymom
May 13th, 2016, 02:03 AM
Pat I hope Mel feels better soon.When my DD was younger she had severe ear infections and even had one eardrum burst and never had any pain or fever.

bubba
May 13th, 2016, 02:21 AM
She has been sleeping a lot all week, which is what she needs. I think it all started with the same flu I had, but we caught it on her fast enough so she didn't get it as bad as I had it. She has not run a fever or complained of any pain at all which I find amazing!

toggpine
May 13th, 2016, 01:19 PM
Some districts take the laws to the extreme. We have the Becca Bill here that limits the number of days a kid can be out of school. I think it came from a child who was being severely abused and missed a ton of school days. It is supposed to be a way to help find problems before they get deadly.
Here, if you can provide a doctors note, medical paperwork, etc. they will make an exception. They do like you to try to keep the kids up on their school work if it will be a long recovery. Our school would rather that you keep them home than have them hanging in the nurses office until you can get back to get them.

WendyI
May 13th, 2016, 02:08 PM
We are dealing with the school at the present because my DGD, who is hoping to be able to graduate in May, has missed so much school this year. She has had a ruptured ovarian cyst and mononucleosis. This is the second time she has had mono. She is exhausted most of the time. Her assistant principal is a first class bitch and my daughter, who is like a grizzly bear mama about her kids, has been several rounds with her. She has issued an edict that my DGD must have 103 temperature before she can go home from school and that she does not "look" ill. I don't know where she got her medical degree. My daughter spent a week gathering documentation and doctors' reports. Your daughter probably is afraid of the Nazi school administration and that's why she sent Mel to school. Maybe Emily needs to faint in this woman's office in order to get some sympathy.

I find it quite interesting how much control American schools have over whether or not children can attend school. If a doctor's note is provided making exceptions, the school should be accommodating that child and helping in every way possible. I obviously know that too much time missed is detrimental to the child, but every effort should be made to accommodate when a child is suffering from a serious illness! Mono is not something to mess around with! I would be getting a lawyer out PDQ!

Dollyquilts
May 13th, 2016, 02:59 PM
My daughter is like a momma grizzly about her kids. If Emily doesn't get to graduate, all hell will rain down upon them. She better be walking across that stage. We did have doctors' notes for her absences. I've taken her to the doctor myself so my daughter didn't have to take off work. It's hard to balance a demanding career and two very active children, plus heavy involvement in the costuming my DGD #2's ballet company activities.

RockinLou
May 14th, 2016, 05:55 AM
It amazes me she was not complaining of ear pain with as much buildup in them. Tiffany said it was the worse she has ever had. She did faint again at the doctors, but at least they were there to help her!

unfortunately, in my personal experience the pain becomes normal and we stop to recognize it as pain. I had chronic ear problems as a child, as did my brother. I had severe ear infections often without complaint or fever. Once we flew from NJ to CA with an unknown infection and my eardrum ruptured, I still have hearing loss from it...

I hope she gets some relief soon, it would be sad to miss out on the end of the school year.

Bubby
May 14th, 2016, 06:53 AM
Wishing Mel a speedy recovery and wisdom for the doctors and other professionals who treat her.