PDA

View Full Version : Lunch Time ...

MayinJerset
May 12th, 2016, 02:10 PM
and I'm hungry. Really need to eat something low carb and low fat but somehow I keep thinking about an Italian Hot Dog sandwich. Haven't has one in such a long time, good thing that Big Bertha's food truck no longer comes around the neighborhood or I'd be out there in a flash.

amartin24
May 12th, 2016, 02:21 PM
Must be a North Jersey thing? I never heard of it!

easyquilts
May 12th, 2016, 04:39 PM
Oh my gosh... That looks do good.... I'm hungry too.... Nothing really good n the fridge, and I can't drive... Rats...

Grandma G
May 12th, 2016, 05:20 PM
Okay, you need to tell us what is in this Italian Hot Dog "thingy". I felt my cholesterol go up just looking at it which means it must be delicious!!!

K. McEuen
May 12th, 2016, 05:40 PM
hot dog, grilled peppers (and maybe onion) and then, what is that, veal parmesan?

MayinJerset
May 12th, 2016, 06:42 PM
It's been a long times since I had one but here's what I remember.

First there is the bread which is a small round loaf with a dent in the middle. To make The Double you cut the loaf crosswise and then slice the interior so it's like a pita pocket. The Double filling is a hot dog or two, fried potatoes and sautéed or grilled onions and peppers. Dab a bit of mustard and you're all set. I know some may like ketchup.

You could order A Single, the loaf of bread could be cut into quarters and have half of the filling of The Double but it was never enough and messy to eat as the filling would slip out.

The ones Big Bertha served had skinny hot dogs that were quite different from ones like Ball Park, Sabbrett's is the closest brand and she sliced boiled potatoes and fried them. Many local restaurants and places along The Shore serve them but Bertha's were the best.

K. McEuen
May 12th, 2016, 06:56 PM
Ah ha! Those sliced things were potatoes. That is what I thought might be veal ...

Simply Quilting
May 12th, 2016, 07:11 PM
Sounds yummy!!!

JCY
May 12th, 2016, 09:29 PM
That meal wouldn't work for someone with diabetes. Occas. I go thru the drive-thru at Chick-fil-A for the 3 pc. chicken strips. Today I decided I was hungry for some French fries so got the smallest order of the waffle fries. I rarely eat fries b/c it's white potatoes, & anything white has a higher glycemic index & really shoots up the blood sugar. Anyway, today I splurged. My post prandial blood glucose was 211. Not good! I won't be doing that again! So some things I just don't eat. Sigh.

MayinJerset
May 13th, 2016, 09:45 AM
amartain34 - The Italian Hot Dog sandwich hasn't made it's way to south Jersey? How about the Pork Roll breakfast sandwich, egg and pork roll (Taylor ham)? It's supposed to be the NJ Sandwich and a debate is going on whether it should be called Pork Roll or Taylor ham. I never desire this sandwich but I think nowadays a slice of cheese is added. 130391

JCY said, " So some things I just don't eat. Sigh." Tell me about it, that's why I'm only dreaming about The Double. Not diabetic but need to keep carbs and sodium down as much as possible and as you know that puts a big dent in the foods we enjoy the most.

WendyI
May 13th, 2016, 10:55 AM
That looks absolutely amazing! DEFINITELY does not exist up here in the GWN! Maybe I will have to make a trip to Jersey this summer to check this out! lol!

SallyO'Sews
May 13th, 2016, 11:36 AM
My mouth is watering right now, but lunch is still hours away! :icon_rolleyes:

URIBARRI-MAYOR
May 13th, 2016, 01:12 PM
Well I made a couple of hours I´ve eaten, and that sandwich looks great but in my country meals midday are different dishes legumes and fish, lots of fish or meat, but as I have a very high family cholesterol there are things I did not like, today I ate a plate of melon into pieces and jamon Iberico and then a little white sheep cheese and everything was very rich

MayinJerset
May 14th, 2016, 10:55 AM
A plate of melon pieces sounds good. Can't wait until melon season is here in Jersey. The markets do have melons and cantaloupes but they never really ripen and get sweet so I'll wait until summer when local produce is available.

jjkaiser
May 14th, 2016, 12:34 PM
Wow that is the strangest looking Hot Dog I ever saw, but it looks pretty good. Except mine would be slathered in ketchup!

amartin24
May 16th, 2016, 11:37 AM
[QUOTE=MayinJerset;875519]amartain34 - The Italian Hot Dog sandwich hasn't made it's way to south Jersey? How about the Pork Roll breakfast sandwich, egg and pork roll (Taylor ham)? It's supposed to be the NJ Sandwich and a debate is going on whether it should be called Pork Roll or Taylor ham. I never desire this sandwich but I think nowadays a slice of cheese is added. 130391

/QUOTE]

The Porkroll, egg and cheese sandwich I have heard of. I thought it was a Philadelphia thing though as that is where my husband is from and he likes those sandwiches. Not me, I don't like porkroll.