PDA

View Full Version : Night night, Night owl!

Neller
May 11th, 2016, 01:45 AM
Why do some people put @@ at the end of the title? I'm not familiar with that.

I have been having some good days lately. Yesterday I sewed and cut 4 sets of HSTs for the exchange and today I mailed them off along with fat quarters for the swap, and I mailed a double slice quilt to M* for quilting. It feels good to get things done. Today I also sewed on my plus sign quilt. The colors are pretty but man oh man, it is boring to sew! Only seven more rows to sew.

When I was at a quilt show last month I bought one of those Moda Frivol tins. There is enough fabric to make a wall hanging and I got most of that cut out today, while I was procrastinating sewing the plus signs.

I also spent some time looking at the albums of some of you night owl regulars: You are all very talented! I could look at quilts all day. It is such a pleasure to be retired and be able to do what I love instead of what I have to do.

I hope you folks are having a good week too!

stationarymom
May 11th, 2016, 02:01 AM
Hi Nancy it sound like you've been quite productive lately.I haven't done to much recently but am working on some table runners for a friend.They will be the one using the 60 degree ruler. I'm not sure about the @@ I don't know if it means anything.TheFrivol tin that you bought,what size wall hanging does it make?We had a beautiful day here today which was nice after the week of rain we just had.The puppy(Sterling) turned one today.

Simply Quilting
May 11th, 2016, 02:10 AM
I always thought the @@ was used to mean owl eyes.

toggpine
May 11th, 2016, 02:12 AM
I think if you look closely @v@ or @,@ kind of looks like an owl face.

No sewing done today. I did however get those bookcases this evening. All of the shelves have been wiped down. I'll just have to wipe the cases themselves and get ready to load them up! Whoo Hoo!

Now I'm going to wash up and hit the hay. It's an early morning.
Happy hooting! C

kimsophia
May 11th, 2016, 02:24 AM
The @,@ is an owl. The little beak is a comma! :D

I have been getting a lot more done since I gave up on the idea of turned edge applique and just converted to the Misty Fuse method. Instead of it taking all night, I can get a block done in a couple of hours, depending on how many little pieces I need to cut and fuse and then zig zag around. So I had time last night to play with my Kaffe Fassett fabric stash. I rarely could pick out the exact same fabric as was used in the photo on the front of the directions but I am using similar colors to keep the overall color look as similar as I can. I'm focusing on the trees. The houses are pieced, and I prefer applique to piecing. I don't think I have enough background fabric to make them as applique, too. But I'll survive. I want to quilt each block and then sew them together like Wendy Gratz does at minute 3:16 on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8kyurCw8-g

Tonight I added fusing to a lot of fabric and then cut out tree patterns. Since I don't have a light box and I can't use windows for light at night, I wound up taping them to the dining room lamp, which is kind of a beveled glass and brass chandelier like this: Vintage Brass 10 Arm Candelabra Chandelier Beveled Glass 21"Diameter | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Brass-10-Arm-Candelabra-Chandelier-Beveled-Glass-21-diameter-/201578994830)

So I stand on a dining room chair and tape the pattern and fabric to it and trace. Crazy, but it works. Getting up and down off the chair is the most difficult part. :P However my hand is too sore from cutting out all the trees to do any more of that. I need more comfortable scissors, I guess.

We got three inches of rain in our gauge yesterday. At least we didn't have a tornado.

Oh man was Steph Curry fabulous last night! Wooooo! :D

Granny Judy
May 11th, 2016, 03:08 AM
Not getting much done with the sewing these days.. weather is so nice I've been spending most of my days outside getting my hands dirty.. one more flower bed to clean out and I can focus on my quilting again.

I do try to hand sew at least every day... gotta get the Ghastlie quilt done. I'm putting 8 inch spider webs all over it.. randomly spaced. and stitching with "long" stitches. Hope to show it off before the snow flies.

Patsquilting
May 11th, 2016, 05:25 AM
Good early morning, all. no quilting been going on in my house. Everything is packed up to move - just waiting for a closing date. SO anxious to get it over with. But so excited with all that it brings.

Here's to a bright day to all today. Happy sewing - happy gardening - whatever makes your day great.

Neller
May 12th, 2016, 01:13 PM
Hi Nancy it sound like you've been quite productive lately.I haven't done to much recently but am working on some table runners for a friend.They will be the one using the 60 degree ruler. I'm not sure about the @@ I don't know if it means anything.TheFrivol tin that you bought,what size wall hanging does it make?We had a beautiful day here today which was nice after the week of rain we just had.The puppy(Sterling) turned one today.

Joan, I think it is 27 inches square. I'd like to hand quilt it, but I may need to get some kind of magnifying glass to wear in order to be able to see it.