PDA

View Full Version : Marvelous Monday May Morning

Blondie
May 9th, 2016, 07:38 AM

Hello Folksies

It's been awhile and I have to add it may be awhile before I visit again. Things are just going wayyyy too fast. Like my hubby says, time keeps going on and I can't keep up.

DD Sarah got moved to Florida. I cried, she cried, we all cried. They are happy with Florida and that is good enough for me. She even was able to meet up with our dearest Marilyn for dinner one evening and I understand that Cocoa Beach may never again be the same after today.

We are FINALLY hoping to get our roof on today. It has taken 3 years of saving up and countless buckets in the kitchen each time it rains to get this thing done. We have had so much rain in the past few weeks that we are feeling a bit waterlogged.

We also have a new member of our family - Max, the sheltie. The kids had three dogs and really couldn't imagine this old fella adjusting to Florida and also too much for them with their already high energy shepherd and doxie. So, Max, the faithful and loyal sheltie has become my shadow. We have been old friends for quite awhile; he is getting adjusted to having a new "partner" in Gracie the chi chi. That has been interesting.

Middle Son Josh's GF is due to deliver their baby within the new 2 weeks - so I am on the ready.

Hubs is on his way home (just called) so he can be here when the roofer comes. have to add that I have NOT finished the kitchen yet, no real sewing has been done at all and oh yes, I am just as fiesty as ever.

Many blessings to each. I will try to poke my head in now and then, but honestly kids, life is on a fast track at the moment. Play nice, always consider others before yourself and don't forget to smile!!!!

dwil23
May 9th, 2016, 08:37 AM
Good to see you, Blondie! Time sure does fly by and there is no way for me to catch it and slow it down. Sure wish I could.....

Who is in Cocoa Beach today - Marilyn or Sarah? My very favorite quilt shop east of the Mississippi just happens to be a few miles from Cocoa - in Rockledge (the Quilt Place), so if it's you Marilyn - check it out if you can! I have been longing for a road trip over there, but it won't be anytime soon. MY DS, DIL and DGS lived for a year in Cape Canaveral and I have had withdrawals ever since they moved.

We all went out for dinner last night for Mother's Day. Youngest DS brought me some beautiful roses. It was a nice, peaceful day - but not much sleep. Hope everyone else had a great Mother's Day.

Blessings and prayers for all!

Monique
May 9th, 2016, 08:49 AM
Welcome back even for just a short time. Life is definitely moving too fast.

I hope you all had a wonderful Mother's Day. Les took me out for breakfast. And we had snow flurries as well, it was that cold. I spotted my first hummingbird yesterday too, I hope he was warm.

While I was on the net yesterday, I found out my little brother was in a motorcycle accident. Apparently he flew 15ft over a barrier that he hit. He is banged up quite a bit, 30 some stitches in the lip, facial bones broken, fractured rib and clavical. He will have a plastics consult tomorrow. I would really appreciate prayers. He will be okay but may take a long time to heal. Thank you.

Well, I went to the quilt show on Friday and unfortunately did not get to meet Peggie. Our times did not coincide and my legs and knees told me when it was time to go home. I spent too much money but heckfireshoot, I NEEDED all that. LOL!! I got some lovely things. Today I am hoping to get into my sewing room and do some sewing.

Have a wonderful day friends.

songbird857
May 9th, 2016, 09:06 AM
Morning all -
I do agree - life seems awfully busy at the moment. I, too, am popping in when I am able - although I still haven't been in my sewing room since mid-March!! I'm still adjusting to life according to my own schedule (well, sort of...). We have chosen a laminate floor for the bedroom, and will probably pick it up some time this week, then let it sit in the room for a week to acclimate. I do have a lingering hesitation about laminate, with all the stories about formaldehyde (which, I know, is in carpets and clothing, and alot more). If anyone has any insight - good or bad, I'd love to hear it :)
I hope everyone has a great day today!

URIBARRI-MAYOR
May 9th, 2016, 09:09 AM
Happy Monday to everyone, Blondie is very nice to see you again forum although it seems that your work have not finished but hopefully put us your cheeful words one day more, it seems that spring has officially come and will be a season, so sunny days you beat the rain and that makes us happier and we spend more time on the street, but you have to take a little time to be on the forum and share some time and our experiences with all of you. Hoping you are all well and this week is nice, sending smiles and prayers for those who need

Bubby
May 9th, 2016, 09:34 AM
Hi Everyone,

Yesterday was fairly uneventful, but I prefer that to drama any day. Jeff pampered me a little in the morning and we just hung out the rest of the day. Dinner was a simple affair and Jeff did the cleaning up afterwards.

Monique, my prayers are with your brother. That must have been a bad crash and what a way for you to find out about it!

Blondie, this is probably a good time for you to be super busy. Good luck with your roof project. Hugs to you, Lil Sis.

I'm doing laundry and we have a storm rolling in. The rolling thunder is getting closer.

Maybe some sewing today....maybe not...

Have a wonderful day everyone.

mischiefkat
May 9th, 2016, 10:00 AM
Good Morning to all,
This week end was full of drama. My DD hurt her knee not jumping off the back of the pickup like I first heard. The ER was a diasaster. Went home with no ice, no crutches,and a leg brace that was too large. Her PC doc ordered an MRI for 6am today. I keep her boys over night, so they could get to school. Today is her 50th BD SIL was going to have a surprise party for her tonight. As of yesterday am he was still going to try to have the party, but last night when he dropped the boys off,he tells me he has damaged a tooth and needs to see dentist soon. Soooooooooooo we will see how the day progresses.
Retirement was suppose to be quiet, relaxing, doing what we want ....Ha. Some days I wonder how I managed all the drama and worked too.
Mothers Day was very nice. We took donuts and went to DD. Later in the day DH and I went to dinner. Heard from DS,DIL and GS #1so it was a good day.
Songbird, I have laminate in my kitchen( here when we bought place) I don't like it, some of corners have chipped off. Edges are raising up. I want vynal that looks like ceramic.
Monigue prayers for your brother. Blondie, hope there is no drama with your new roof. Max's presence will bring you comfort when you are missing DD and her family.
I'm off to finish the wash. Hugs and many prayers to those that need them,esp those in Canada's fires. Kathy

Jean Sewing Machine
May 9th, 2016, 10:04 AM
Good morning all! My weekend was busy but not one minute spent in the sewing room! I cleaned out my garage Saturday morning. Evidence of mouse activity there, droppings and a little nest found, but no carcass to contribute to the dead mouse ( or something else) smell out there. I had this issue in the past and despite tearing out everything and breaking down walls, we found nothing to cause the smell. It is extremely frustrating!

Blondie, so glad to hear your cheerful greetings this morning! We try to stay positive when you aren't available but miss you so much!

I went to a show yesterday at a local community theatre, some of my good friends were in it. I laughed and laughed, it was just so good! But two ladies who were sitting next to me noticed my St. Louis Cardinals NCW and were so excited when I said I made it! Passed out a few business cards so I might get some more orders. I made 4 of them last week and sold three plus kept one for my sample. They have gotten a lot of attention!

My daughter found this at a local resale shop. Seems to be all together with feet, attachments and several bobbins. It is a cutie, appears to be a 3/4 size machine. It was made in 1951, it is a 100 Anniversary model. It is surprising that in 1951, it used one of those long shuttle bobbins instead of the round bobbin. Can't wait to play around with it!

Have a great day!

MayinJerset
May 9th, 2016, 10:15 AM
Hey Blondie, glad to see your smiling face this morning. Happy to hear your DD and family are settling in their new home. Sometimes our lives do get running in the fast track but glad you stopped to catch your breath and update us.

Monique, Hope your brother recovers well.
mischiefkat - Hope the drama settles down and your DD and her DH get healed ASAP.

I had a nice Mother's Day, DS#1 visited on Sat. night with a big pot of flowers, DS#3 in MA sent a sweet bouquet from him and family and DH and I had dinner at our granddaughter's yesterday. We and her Mom, Dad (DS#2) and her MIL all enjoyed the delicious meal she and her DH prepared. We got a tour of their new home, an older home that has been completely renovated and updated while still keeping its style. The queen size purple and grey quilt that I made them for their engagement fits nicely on their new king sized bed. Hope I have enough leftover fabrics to make them some shams or pillowcases to go with the quilt.

House smells like a garden today as I have all the flowers and plants I received brightening up our living and dining rooms. Need to trim the flowers from DS#2 and my DGD and I'm all done.

ceiliam
May 9th, 2016, 10:16 AM
Morning friends. Blondie what a lovely surprise to log in and see your sweet face. Monique I am so sorry about your brother, prayers for you and him. Kathy hope you can get your daughter taken care of.
Yesterday got a rose bush planted, worked on the splendid sampler...what was I thinking went and got my younger sister taken care of feel so bad that she can't get out and about but feel blessed that she allows me to help her. Hope to clean house work on the scary back yard going to take several years as it is really rocky and crap soil and lots of weeds.
Have to hurry and get dressed and take PeteyPup out for a walk before it gets to hot. Have a great day all. Cecelia

dwil23
May 9th, 2016, 10:40 AM
Morning all -
I do agree - life seems awfully busy at the moment. I, too, am popping in when I am able - although I still haven't been in my sewing room since mid-March!! I'm still adjusting to life according to my own schedule (well, sort of...). We have chosen a laminate floor for the bedroom, and will probably pick it up some time this week, then let it sit in the room for a week to acclimate. I do have a lingering hesitation about laminate, with all the stories about formaldehyde (which, I know, is in carpets and clothing, and alot more). If anyone has any insight - good or bad, I'd love to hear it :)

Oh Dear - you may not want to hear my insight about laminate floors, but here goes: RUN as fast as you can in the opposite direction. I put down Armstrong 25 year waterproof warranty laminate in most of my house. What a mistake. It is waterproof - as long as water never touches it. (read the fine print later) If even a tiny drop of water stays on a seam for just a few minutes, it will swell and bubble up. I hate it and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Most people I have talked to have had the same experience, though a few have been happy with theirs. Definitely no good if you have any pets or children in the house. Good Luck!

Edited to add - We put down vinyl planking (very inexpensive at 99 cents a sq foot) in my sewing room and DD bedroom. The floor in her room takes a beating because of the dogs going in and out through there and it looks brand new - wish I had put it through out the house. If you are even a little handy it is a DIY project.

Grandma Nan
May 9th, 2016, 10:53 AM
Oh that time thing and life getting in the way is so true. I used to think only old people said that but I have come to learn that even the young people find that life is just too fast now a days. It is nice to be busy but wow, it seems like it is just hectic all the time.

Blondie, what a nice surprise to see your name this morning and get caught up a bit. So glad you are getting a new roof. I think of you often and was wondering if the move had happened yet. Glad everyone is settling in and just think- what a great road trip for you and your sister to go and see your DD. Plus new quilt shops to explore.

Monique I hope your brother is ok and hugs to you. That's a hard way to find out the news. Thinking about you.

Jean those wallets have made you a real celebrity. You should be on staff for Emmaline Bags.

Mother's day was very pleasant. I had a manicure/pedicure in the morning. In the afternoon, the kids came over and fixed my lattice on the deck. It blew loose in the wind about a year ago and so every time the wind blows hard it was banging around like a spooky movie. So now it is fixed and solid.
We had a bbq dinner and DH and DS cleaned up. I would say they did a pretty good job with the clean up. I'm kinda fussy about the kitchen and they left it pretty good. My daughter called, she couldn't come down this weekend as she had to work but I did spend some time with them earlier in the week. I would have to honestly say that my kids treat me pretty well all year long so that is what is really important.

Off to Costco in a few minutes. Hope everyone has a great day.

Simply Quilting
May 9th, 2016, 11:45 AM
Good Morning! It was a nice weekend. On Thursday, there was an estate tag sale in the area. A first for around here - basically the same thing as a garage sale and much easier than trying to take everything to an auction house. There was the basement, first floor, second floor and attic of a very large house full of stuff. Most items were antiques which drew dealers from as far away as Minnesota. A lot of people around here wanted to go to see the home itself as it is a historical house. It was beautiful. On Thursday, everything was full price. On Friday, items were 25% off. Then on Saturday, everything was 50% off. There were 3 treadle machines two in cabinets and one with no cabinet. A lady I know took one of the treadles on Thursday. I told dh that if the other two were there on Saturday, I wanted to get them. Patience paid off as I got the other two treadles for half off the ticket price. (I will post pictures later.) There were many beautiful quilts that the lady had hand quilted. Most of those didn't sell until Saturday. People got really good deals on the quilts for example a queen sold for $50. The items left will head for an auction house in Kansas City.

It was also city wide garage sales. I took a friend of mine on Friday. She was able to find several things for her house. When dh & I went on Saturday, I didn't really find anything.

Sunday we had a nice lunch after church. Then the children sang and had parts in the church children's choir musical on Sunday night. It was a sweet program.

Have a great day everyone :)

Cathy F
May 9th, 2016, 12:16 PM
Morning all,
Off to a later start today. My sister and her 2 1/2 yr old granddaughter just left. They came Sunday morning for an overnight visit. We had a nice day yesterday and took the little one to the county farm to see all the animals. She had a great time feeding the goats one pellet of food at a time, that took quite a while to empty the food cup! Had a visit from my daughter and son in law Saturday and my son and grandson yesterday. All in all a great Mother's Day!
Going to spend a little time in the sewing room have to make 40 tissue pack covers for a project, and hope to get the backing sewn together for my grandson's quilt so I can send it off to be quilted.

Going to pick up some flowers for the planters on the deck later wanted to do it earlier in the week but the weather wasn't that great.

Monique, sorry to hear about your brother's accident. Hope his injuries heal fully.
Blondie, good to hear from you. Your in my thoughts when I come to the forum.
Hugs to all who can use a few extra today.

toggpine
May 9th, 2016, 01:20 PM
Ahhh. This is the first day I can call my own in several weeks.

I have a list of projects I want to get done around the house, but I'd really like a nap! So I will compromise. I'll have a second cup of coffee and scroll through the internet, then get on with getting some of them done.

It sounds like I wasn't the only one that had good luck with estate sales this weekend! Congrats on your new-to-you machines. I picked it up a yard swing at an estate sale on Friday. (Like a porch swing, but with it's own support frame.) It looked horrible, but the frame was in excellent condition. A bit of Clorox Clean-up and the pressure washer did quite a number on it.
We will have to replace the cushion and awning as the fabric is 8 years old, and has been left outside all of those years. But not this year! I'll make the few minor repairs that are needed and then in the fall, when we take it down, I'll send the fabric parts to the guy that does all of the upholstery work for the boat yard. He can use it as a "fill" project over the winter, and I'll have new threads for the swing next spring!
I had better go get that second cup so I can get a few more things knocked off my to-do list!
Hugs! C

Claire Hallman
May 9th, 2016, 01:27 PM
How lovely to see Blondie spreading her cheer. I once lived in Cocoa Beach and really liked it but that was kind of another life, so long ago.
I had a lovely day yesterday, slept in, casually packed a little, when DH came home from golf we went and got a milkshake. We then stopped by a quilt shop where I got some wide backing I needed, then wandered through an antique shop. We ended up at our DS, our DIL had made a chicken casserole with rice for us and they went to the movies while we played with the grands. Altogether a very nice day. I also got a beautiful hydrangea to plant at our new house.

rebeccas-sewing
May 9th, 2016, 02:11 PM
Sounds like you all had a nice Mother's Day. Mine was very quiet. Joe and I did a bit of yard work. I finished the quilting on a wedding quilt. I have come up with a great sauce for stir fry. I've never had much luck in that department but this one is a keeper. It makes for any easy and fairly healthy dinner so that's what we had last night.

I heard from my younger daughter wishing me Happy Mother's Day. Nothing from the older daughter. As much as I say it doesn't bother me it kinda hurts. I just hope she forgot and that she's okay. She has a tendency toward depression so I'm hoping that's not the reason for her silence. Their dad's birthday is tomorrow. I usually remind them. This year they are on their own. It's time they started remembering these things without reminders from me.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother's accident, Monique. I understand how enjoyable it can be riding on a motorcycle. I just wonder if it's worth it. My sis-in-law now rides on one with her husband because he loves it so much. This is a woman who was in such a serious auto accident that we weren't sure she would survive. I just don't get it. I'd be terrified to get on a motorcycle after being in such a terrible auto accident. I think it's just asking for trouble, personally.

A fellow who lives in a house close to the one we lived in in the Netherlands was in a motorcycle accident and boy did that change his life. He broke tons of bones, was in a coma for a number of months and now has memory problems so he can't work full-time anymore. He just does odd jobs for people now and then. He hobbles around like he's eighty and I imagine Frank is somewhere in his fifties. Sad.

Suzette
May 9th, 2016, 03:11 PM
We have chosen a laminate floor for the bedroom, and will probably pick it up some time this week, then let it sit in the room for a week to acclimate. I do have a lingering hesitation about laminate, with all the stories about formaldehyde (which, I know, is in carpets and clothing, and alot more). If anyone has any insight - good or bad, I'd love to hear it :)

Laminate flooring is like anything else, some are better than others. I had laminate in a previous house that I absolutely hated (looked fake, and made lots of popping noises when we walked on it), but then I moved into this house with a higher end laminate and I love it. You really have to look to see if it's laminate or wood. It was laid well, so no popping when we walk on it and it wears like iron. Water is not a problem either as long as we don't leave puddles of the stuff on the floor. So two very different experiences that reflect the quality of the product and the skill in laying it properly.

Laminate can be slippery for dogs to walk on, but on the other hand, it won't scratch up from their nails like hardwood does. Area rugs help with the slipping part if your dog has issues. I also have rugs in front of my beds and sofas so my dog can jump up and down without slipping on the floor.

So, lots to think about, but the main thing is to get a good quality laminate and install it properly. And if I remember right, it was the laminate made in China and sold by Lumber Liquidators that had the problem with formaldehyde.

SewnByBee
May 9th, 2016, 03:35 PM
HAPPY (Belated), MOTHER'S DAY TO YOU ALL.

...............130201 ...:icon_wave:

Finally got a minute to get on. It's a busy time for us too.

Graduation, was a wonderful event. K .... 2016, got her BDG, Cuma Laude. (top of the class) ....... WOW....very proud, yes we are.

I have a lot of stress..... ANXIETY....
this is a hard time of the year. I miss my mom so much.
and everything seems to get off balance. I try to hold it together......but it hits me like a ton of bricks. About 9:00 pm....... I just lost it. I hope, one day I'll make it through Mother's Day without the melt down ��.

Lately, hub's support is lacking, or maybe, I'm just noticeing it, because that's what I need from him right now. I just know, my feelings are hurt at him.

I hate not feeling good. I Hope to be back to myself soon. I need to be...... ASAP.......!!!

Have a grate week. See you when I can....
Be Blessed.......

BeckyHatcher
May 9th, 2016, 07:22 PM
We have laminate flooring that we purchased from Lumber Liquidators. I love it! It is a 12mm laminate, if my memory is correct. We also installed it, again from Lumber Liquidators, in my sewing room, and it's not a decision that I regret at all. Good luck with your laminate! Hope it turns out well for you.

Claire Hallman
May 9th, 2016, 07:44 PM
I have been happy with the laminate we put in our kitchen. It was a more expensive style since I wanted something that looks like tiles. It has one scratch where the stove was pulled out from the wall and one small seam area that swelled a bit when a puddle sat there too long. It has been down 14 years now and still looks good.

Ginny B
May 9th, 2016, 10:44 PM
Well, here I am at the end of the day catching up on the forum. So glad to see you here for a bit today Blondie. Glad to hear your dd is settling in down in Florida but I know how difficult it is for you. Monique, sorry about your brother's accident. Prayers for speedy recovery for him.

I had a super busy weekend in Brooklyn and work has been quite hectic with new systems being implemented so I am beat tonight. I had a nice Mother's Day with brunch being made for my sis and I in Brooklyn with two of my boys. Got to talk to my two youngest and I got a beautiful flower arrangement from all of them. DH cooked dinner for me after I got home. It was a great Mother's day.

I see that some of our forum members are needing some love and support so here are some {{{{{hugs}}}} for all who need them.

Sleep well everyone. Have a peaceful night.