PDA

View Full Version : Ouchie Night Owl

kimsophia
May 8th, 2016, 01:36 AM
Hoot. This night owl somehow managed to pull her hip/back while sitting still in a chair in front of the computer! I've had this weird hip/back injury that has bothered me since my twenties. It will suddenly and painfully "rip" and hurt afterwards with a sore, burning feeling. Usually it happened when I was bending over. I don't recall it happening while sitting still! Anyway, other than lying down I have not been doing much besides taking Advil. I watched the Golden State Warriors lose to the Trailblazers. Now I am trying to figure out my applique method with the Mistyfuse and the Goddess Sheet I bought. One is a thin double-sided fusible and the other is a Teflon coated fiberglass sheet you can use between your iron and the fabric. I want to try sewing Mistyfuse on my fabric first then tearing a hole in the center, turning it inside out, and ironing it down to the background fabric. I'm in no shape to sew tonight, though.

How are y'all? @,@ Feeling good, I hope! :)

bubba
May 8th, 2016, 02:00 AM
I am pooped!! We left our house at noon to take some wood to a friends house about ten minutes away. Visited with them awhile then we by another friends house to look at her raised beds as we are getting ready to make a couple. Then we went to a lumber yard, cash and carry, our daughters, the fruit stand, Cabellas, and then drove the back way home as there was an accident on the freeway. Stopped at Home Depot and finally made it home at 7pm!!! I am pooped and I'm going to be sorry tomorrow. I'm waiting till it's late enough to go to bed so I don't wake up too early.

The girls are taking me for a pedicure in the afternoon and MM is cooking a nice salmon dinner for everyone!!

stationarymom
May 8th, 2016, 02:22 AM
Hoot Kim I'm sorry to hear about your hip. I threw my back out a few times and I know what kind of pain you might feel try not to stay still for to long.Pat I hope you feel ok tomorrow so you can enjoy your pedicure tomorrow with the girls,and your salmon dinner.I went to my friends tonight and had a couple cups of coffee and am wide awake right now.I hope I get sleepy soon I need to be out of the house by noon tomorrow to go to brunch with my kids.I hope everyone has a wonderful Mother's Day.

Cokie
May 8th, 2016, 03:13 AM
I woke up with a headache this morning so I went back to bed and slept until noon, then dozed off and on most of the day. DH and DS both worked tonight so it was nice and quiet. I cut the borders for what will be my first finished quilt top. I'm so intimidated by the borders, for goodness sake. I'm afraid they'll be crooked and ruin the top. And I agonized over how wide to cut them. But...I did cut both a narrow inner border and a wider outer border and sewed them to length, but didn't sew them to the quilt yet. Time to go to bed and maybe give it a try tomorrow.

Kim, I hope your hip and back feel better soon. When my back hurts, everything hurts!!
Bubba, I hope you get some rest. Enjoy your pedi and salmon dinner tomorrow.
Joan, have a lovely brunch with your kids. I love going out to brunch!

Happy Mother's Day, everyone.

Patsquilting
May 8th, 2016, 06:43 AM
Good Morning, All: I hope everyone gets to feeling better Have a Happy Mother's Day.

Kim - I used Misty Fuse once, I don't think you can tear a hole in center and turn inside out. It's very thin - with "glue" on both sides. Reason for teflon mat between it and iron. What's good about it, is that you can reheat and re-position piece.

Has anyone else used this? Am I wrong in my thinking? Have fun trying.

kimsophia
May 8th, 2016, 07:36 AM
Good Morning, All: I hope everyone gets to feeling better Have a Happy Mother's Day.

Kim - I used Misty Fuse once, I don't think you can tear a hole in center and turn inside out. It's very thin - with "glue" on both sides. Reason for teflon mat between it and iron. What's good about it, is that you can reheat and re-position piece.

Has anyone else used this? Am I wrong in my thinking? Have fun trying.

You're right, it's thin, but it is pretty stretchy. I was able to turn it inside out but it wasn't easy. It was sort of like a snake shedding its skin. I used a tweezers and a pencil to pull/stuff the tubes inside out. Sometimes I had to slice the Misty Fuse a bit more to turn the tubes, which reminded me of an episiotomy! However, before when I hand stitched this shape down it took me all day, or about six hours. With this method of sewing and turning inside out, then ironing the seam allowance back, it took about two hours and I know they won't fray. I haven't affixed it to the background fabric yet because I haven't cut that block out yet. I do feel hopeful about the method. This stylized tubular tree shape was the most difficult one of the entire quilt. So I think it will be downhill from here. It did make raw edge applique sound mighty good! I'm not crazy about the look of satin or zig zag stitches around the edges, though, so I'm trying to avoid it. We'll see. I do have some fancy topstich variegated thread.

Cyndie
May 8th, 2016, 07:44 AM
Happy Mother's Day to all of our Forum Mom's!

MayinJerset
May 8th, 2016, 11:40 AM
Hey Gals, Hope you are all feeling better today.