PDA

View Full Version : Happy Saturday

Lyndaj
May 7th, 2016, 09:14 AM
Since no one else has started a thread yet, I thought I would get it going.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful start to what is a very sunny day here. It is finally spring in Ontario and my front garden is full of tulips which are my favourite flower. When we dug the bulbs in the fall we had to put screen on top of the garden to keep the squirrels from digging up my precious bulbs. They still got some unfortunately.:icon_neutral:

Today I am going to the sewing store and buying new feet/bobbin case for my Janome. Also today I start finishing one quilt and making two other quilts to send to a Fort McMurray evacuee.

Hope you have a great day and don't forget that tomorrow is Mothers Day.

Lynda

MRoy
May 7th, 2016, 09:27 AM
Good morning and Happy KY Derby Day! I've lived in KY all my life and I've never been to the Derby. I usually watch it on TV, but this afternoon I hope to be having my own fishing derby with DH on Lake Cumberland instead.

Grandma Nan
May 7th, 2016, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the good start Lyndaj. Seems like a beauty morning here in Kingston also- I don't really know because I'm still in jammies, sipping my coffee. I do have a load of laundry in.

I might add i hate our time of use restrictions -for those who dont know about that, here in Ontario we have restrictions on when we use electricity like our washers, dryers, dish washers. using our stoves. The price of our electricity is significantly more expensive if you use it during peak times. When I say significant I really mean it is enough to make you pay attention. Something like if you do laundry in non peak hours it is like .60 cents a load, if you do it during peak hours it is like 2.50 a load. Weekends, evenings (after 7 pm) and holidays are at the low rate. I worked for 40 years and had to do laundry etc in the evenings and on weekends. I really thought when I retired I could get out of that habit and get my laundry done during the day but that is not to be. I do like to be conscious of energy use but this is very annoying. I suppose though that if it wasn't so much more during peak hours people would ignore it and nothing would be achieved.

I have two wooden planters outside that I am going to paint today, I think. They have only had a natural stain on them for about 5 years so I will have to sand and prime but it is a relatively small project so it will be nice. I love white flower pots with bright red geraniums and lime green potato vines. Allysum (spelling?) makes a great filler for those pots too.

I did sew for a bit yesterday after painting the fence (which by the way looks great, so glad its done) but not nearly enough to keep me at a therapeutic level. I hope to get in the sewing room later today but I need some groceries so we'll see how it goes. Spring is so busy, getting all the winter clean up done.

I popped into the LQS yesterday as I was on my way to mail my Fat Quarter Swap package and lo and behold, the newest BLOCK magazine had come in. Last evening was spent going through the mag with my mind going a hundred miles an hour figuring out which one of these gorgeous quilts I want to try.

I better get going out to get that painting done or I will never get to my therapeutic sewing level for today. So long folks and have a great day. Mother's Day tomorrow, is not the same for me anymore with my mom gone but I have good kids so I am sure there will be a little surprise for me tomorrow. Hope you all take it easy and SMILE and SEW.

Carol336
May 7th, 2016, 09:48 AM
Good morning all.....thanks for the start Lynda (my niece, Lynda, spells her name the same way - love it)

Finally seeing some sunshine this am, but there are black clouds on the horizon...I'm so sick of rain. I know we needed it, but enough is enough. Be nice if we could send it up to Alberta to help with those forest fires.

No sewing here today. I'm going to a lunch, wine and paint party. Now mind you I don't have a creative bone in my body when it comes to drawing, painting etc..never even liked coloring as a child...so I'm not expecting to bring home a picture to hang on the wall - LOL. But it'll be a fun day out with my Dancing Queen friends. And then tonight we all get to go out dancing - doesn't get much better than that.

Happy Kentucky Derby Day everyone - wow can't believe it's only 3 weeks till the Preakness - I love love love that - never been to see it live, but never miss it on tv.

MayinJerset
May 7th, 2016, 10:07 AM
Glad some of you gals are experiencing Spring weather, we had a day or two during the week be the past few days have been winter cold with driving rain. Just hope my flowering plants survive.

Hope old Mother Nature calms down and we all have some nice weather tomorrow. We'll be traveling north to our granddaughter's for Mother's Day dinner. 130101

Jean Sewing Machine
May 7th, 2016, 10:17 AM
Good morning forum friends! Looks like Ontario is well represented this morning! Nan, interesting information on your electrical use issue, smart way to get the peak hours down to a reasonable level. Here in Missouri we have one power generating facility that only generates in the summer during high peak hours. It is a hollowed out mountain that is essentially a huge concrete funnel filled with water with a generator at the bottom of the funnel. When they need electricity for the peak times, they let the water out to run the generators then catch the water down below and pump it back up during non peak times. Oh the things we will do to keep our AC running in the hot summer months!

I need to clean out my garage today. Something got in there and died, I need to find the source because it stinks so bad. Going to a concert tonight. Maybe some sewing tomorrow with some pretty new Paris inspired fabric.

Have a great day!

easyquilts
May 7th, 2016, 10:32 AM
Good Morning!

I've had a slow start, but I'm ready to head into my sewing room, to work on the chevron baby quilt I'm making for my nephew's third little boy...due in a couple of months... Mom. Carolina, requested chevrons, so.... Here's the fabrics I'm using....

It's a lovely spring day here...in the Ohio Vslley..... Lots of sunshine.... But, we are expecting storms later in the day... My grass is Gina be knee high! I might lose one if my teo little Chihuahuas...

Wishing everyone a wonderful day, and a great Mither's Day tomorrow...

Lyndaj
May 7th, 2016, 10:34 AM
Good morning all.....thanks for the start Lynda (my niece, Lynda, spells her name the same way - love it)

Actually Carol, I hate my name because my dad had to put the Y in it and most people just assume that I am Linda. Then, I had to marry a Johnson which people want to put ts and es in (e.g. Johnstone). :( At any rate.

Monique
May 7th, 2016, 10:40 AM
Good morning. I spent too much $$ at the quilt show yesterday, but it was worth every penny. Today is a 'golf tournament' if you can call it that at a friend's house in the horse paddy. Watch out for poop!!

So no sewing today.

Have a great day everyone.

Ginny B
May 7th, 2016, 10:45 AM
Good morning. Happy Saturday. No rain here right now but no sunshine either. I miss the sun. Hope to see some soon.

I'm off to go pick up sis and then we will go to Brooklyn and work on packing up my mom's hope chest and then some kitchen cabinets. We will spend the night and have a nice e Mothers Day breakfast with my my two eldest ds's and then head home. It's really starting to hit me everytime I go in and see more and more boxes packed that in just a few more months, I will not ever be in that house again.:(

Time to get this train on the track. Have a good day all

mischiefkat
May 7th, 2016, 11:39 AM
Good Morning all,
I managed to sneak off to J's this morning, left home just after DH. Was set for some fabric shopping , looking for red Lady Bug fabric. I just picked up the mag I wanted... was headed for the thread, when my cell rings. It's DH he's at the hospital with DD she's done something to her knee,looks like 2 basketballs. She jumped off the back of a dually pick up truck, ( she's 50 on Monday )fell, couldn't get up. Her friend took her to the ER. DH needs me to come get her boys. So put my plunder back,and went to get the boys.
I think I'll have them help make some brownies to pass the time .
Hugs and Prayers to all. Have a Happy Mothers' Day.

KarenC
May 7th, 2016, 11:53 AM
Mischiefkat, hope your daughter's ok and things get smoother. Hugs and prayers to all for improved health, and help wherever needed. Started this morning off with a 4 mile walk with friends. Now settling in for a weekend of laundry and yardwork. DD has to work tomorrow, so I told her we'll get together another day. No quilting in the plans for a few weeks.

rebeccas-sewing
May 7th, 2016, 12:25 PM
We actually had some decent rain yesterday in Orange County. I wish it would rain for a whole week. Interesting info. about the power supply up your way, Nancy. Sounds like some of you have nice plans for the weekend. I have no idea what's on for today for us. Right now, pj's and tea are as far as I've gotten. Probably some more quilting on the Quatrefoil quilt. Boring task. My least favorite part of the process but as we all know it's the part that really brings the quilts to life so I'll forge ahead. I don't think my husband likes this quilt. He makes no comments about it when It's brought to his attention. hahaha It's the recipients' opinion that really counts and I think they'll like it.

MayinJerset
May 7th, 2016, 02:00 PM
Ginny, Make sure you take some photos of the B'klyn house, front and back. I'm glad I took one of mine a few years ago as many of the houses in my old neighborhood, Park Slope, are being torn down and rebuilt . Houses are being turned into big boxes sitting in the middle of the of brownstone, whitestone and brick row houses built in the late 1890's. Guess it's progress but it does look strange. New residents (old residents call them "The Hipsters")have turned the shops and stores into high end places that the old residents can't afford so they are selling and moving out. We were on 5th Ave. and stopped for something to eat. We left because we couldn't understand the menu for food and drinks and we looked like everyone's grandparents. Probably wouldn't have served us as we weren't playing with our laptops on the table. So stop by and visit all the places in the neighborhood you loved growing up in your family home.

URIBARRI-MAYOR
May 7th, 2016, 02:19 PM
Hello to everyone in the forum, we have a very sunny day but tonight it rained but the sun warms enough so our afternoon is being very sunny, as some say tomorrow in their countries celebrate Motherīs Day, in my country was Sunday, so I wish all mothers and grandmothers a beautiful day, As to sew, I have to leave a little patchwork, because I have to star with the costumes for my granddaughters who use in the village festivals, and this year their mothers have decided from geisha and samurai, so I have a lot of work because they are five dresses. I wish all are well and this weekend can do whatever they like command smiles and greetings to all

Claire Hallman
May 7th, 2016, 02:25 PM
It is a beautiful day here. I am happy to be sewing down the binding on a quilt that was done on a long arm by a friend. It turned out really well.
I can't decide if I want to wash it before gifting or not. I usually do wash, this one is batiks and I am a bit scared even though I do use color catchers. I will get brave, the dog has been near it and she sheds like crazy.
Hope everyone has a lovely Saturday and Mother's day tomorrow.

quiltingtrish
May 7th, 2016, 08:26 PM
Mischiefkat - prayers for your daughter!!
May - beautiful home where you grew up.
Ginny - I am dreading the day if my father passes before me and we need to go through the house. I am very lucky that at my age (58.5) that I can still go to my childhood home every weekend.
Didn't get to sewing yet today - I still have this evening to try and get downstairs. I got some wash caught up and helped DH move some large metal outside stuff to get ready to turn in to the scrap yard. An old rototiller with 2 attachments that have seen it's day - we hooked it all up to the riding mower with a garden hose and pulled them right up through the backyard and up the hill. DH is very creative when he wants to get something done - it's too bad he has no interest in quilting.
It's a beautiful day here and expect another one tomorrow. I'll head to Dad's tomorrow . Did get to see and spend some time with son #1 last night - he came for a visit and his mail. Don't think I'll get to see son #2 or our daughter tomorrow but a phone call from them would make my day. Anyhoo - it's going to be a pretty day and I'll be sure to enjoy it.
Off here for now - have a great evening everyone!