PDA

View Full Version : Ironing Night Owl @,@

kimsophia
May 6th, 2016, 01:49 AM
Today I washed, dried and ironed the chartreuse green fabric that is going to be the background I sew the applique pieces on. It's 7 1/2 yards of fabric so it is unwieldy. I was able to hang it from the second floor balcony to untwist it after the dryer had wrapped it into a rope.

I also decided the cross stitch wasn't working and tore out the yellow floss. I think that if I replace it with ecru floss it will copy the old photograph more accurately. With a yellow face, I looked like a baby with jaundice. :P

How are things in your woods? Did you do anything for Cinco de Mayo? We had Lime-a-ritas and layered bean dip. Yum.

bubba
May 6th, 2016, 01:56 AM
I managed to wash my hair, go to the grocery store then come home and make chicken enchiladas, eat one and now I'm resting.....how's that for excitement?

stationarymom
May 6th, 2016, 02:06 AM
I didn't do anything for Cinco De mayo today not driving makes it difficult to get out.Pat I'm glad you were feeling well enough to go to the store.Kim it sounds like you will be ironing for a while.Where will you put the fabric that has been ironed so you can get to the rest without wrinkling what you already did? That was a good article you posted,I wonder how that clothing was able to stay intact?

Neller
May 6th, 2016, 02:24 AM
This was another bathrobe day. I didn't get dressed until 5, but that's okay. We had Taco Bell for dinner, how's that for Cinco De Mayo celebration. I didn't even it was May 5th until DH told me it was busy at Taco Bell. Tomorrow I do want to get out to the sewing room, because I feel better when I'm out there. Yesterday I screwed up a pop-up basket but even so, I had a good time out there. I also tried making Jenny's chicken pincushion which did turn out okay.

I decided to treat myself and ordered an Accu-Quilt which is supposed to arrive tomorrow. That will be fun, and hopefully my sewing will be more accurate.

Kimsophia, what in the world are you making with your appliques? 7 and a half yards is a lot of fabric! I haven't done any applique although I have a whole years worth of little applique wall hangings to do. I'm afraid I'll screw it up. I did practice applique stitching on my machine yesterday and it turned out okay. I can't see well enough to hand applique.

kimsophia
May 6th, 2016, 02:27 AM
Kimsophia, what in the world are you making with your appliques? 7 and a half yards of fabric is a lot of fabric! I haven't done any applique although I have a whole years worth of little applique wall hangings to do. I'm afraid I'll screw it up. I did practice applique stitching on my machine yesterday and it turned out okay. I can't see well enough to hand applique.

I am making this: The Village from Glorious Color - quilt fabric and kits from "Museum Quilts", "Passionate Patchwork", and "Kaleidoscope of Quilts" by Kaffe Fassett & Liza Lucy (http://www.gloriouscolor.com/store.php?cat=574)

carolynrae
May 6th, 2016, 02:54 AM
We went to Del Taco, not much excitement there. Unless, you want to consider my day, left my house at about 9:45 to pick up our motor home, had some maintenance done. I dropped it off about 4 or 5 weeks ago, they had to wait for a part to come in etc. Picked it up, drove about 20 miles toward home, stopped for gas, motor home would not start up again. Called the service center where I picked it up, they said call roadside assistance have it jumped and come back in. Waited 2 hours for a jump, left and headed right back to the dealer. No problem, just need a new battery we'll have you out of here in an hour. My husband was not feeling well so I sent him home.....the battery had gotten bad and the connecting wires fell apart. Guy said no problemo, I ordered another cable etc. it will be here shortly.....they delivered the wrong cable....again they came back and the cable would not fit. OK, I don't get mad...I am a very calm person. I walked around and looked at all the travel trailers, for a few hours. Can't find the right parts, lets clean up the old ones and at least get you home. It didn't work, now it is 5:00 p.m. they are closing, my hubs is at home, maybe I can sleep in the lounge area or in one of the 5th wheels (they are really nice). One of the 4 guys working on my MH asked me where I lived and he lives further down the road from me, so he offered to take me home. I had him drop me off at Winco's by the freeway and my hubs picked me up there. Now it is 6 and I said, I ain't cooking....so we went over to Del Taco....I got home at 7. The best part of this experience was meeting the man who drove me home, a former Marine who went to Iraqi, he shared with me some amazing stories. Then he put some music on and said this is a song I wrote for my wife....I said who is that singing ...He replied 'me'....WOW....what a voice and a beautiful song. So all was not lost, a long day and I got to meet an amazing young man who served out country for over 16 years in the Marines and is now on permanent disability.

bubba
May 6th, 2016, 03:01 AM
I am making this: The Village from Glorious Color - quilt fabric and kits from "Museum Quilts", "Passionate Patchwork", and "Kaleidoscope of Quilts" by Kaffe Fassett & Liza Lucy (http://www.gloriouscolor.com/store.php?cat=574)

Holy crap!! The way I've been feeling lately, I doubt I'd live long enough to finish that!

kimsophia
May 6th, 2016, 03:15 AM
Holy crap!! The way I've been feeling lately, I doubt I'd live long enough to finish that!

I had a case of flu when I was 33 that knocked me out. All I did was sleep. Fortunately my fiance came every day with a bag of food from a drive thru to keep me alive. I was so tired that I would lay against couch cushions to prop myself up to eat it, then go back to sleep. Hope you get your strength back soon.

toggpine
May 6th, 2016, 03:33 AM
One more day of the Teacher Appreciation week! The brownies are done, and I just took the pan of oatmeal-raisin-walnut cookies bars out of the oven. Tomorrow is desserts day, so using the leftover toppings from the oatmeal bar we had on Wednesday, I made those two items.
I had fun, but if I do this next year, I'm not going on a trip the week before!

I must go get some sleep. I promise to catch y'all up on the happenings around here soon!
Hugs to my quilts friends!

bubba
May 6th, 2016, 03:53 AM
I had a case of flu when I was 33 that knocked me out. All I did was sleep. Fortunately my fiance came every day with a bag of food from a drive thru to keep me alive. I was so tired that I would lay against couch cushions to prop myself up to eat it, then go back to sleep. Hope you get your strength back soon.

Yesterday was the first day I have loaded the dishwasher in two weeks!!! MM has taken extreme pity on me, because he has taken that task upon himself. He has even been making dinner! I think today was the first day I've cooked since this started.

He is taking good care of me......when it first started I just wanted him to stay away and I was wearing a mask because of his compromised immune system. I have no doubt he'd be in the hospital with this. He won't even let me get him a can of soda out of the fridge! So he stays in the living room on his computer and I am either in the TV room sleeping, watching TV or on my computer or in bed sleeping there. It's fine with me, because I really don't wish this on him!

It's funny because about two days prior to me getting sick, we were having a 'discussion' about cooking dinner. He picks what we are having even days and I pick the odd days (his rule!). Most nights I cook whatever was decided and I told him I was tired of that. If it is his night to pick, he should be cooking as well. I also told him that it was not fair to me that he keeps picking leftovers on his night, because I am still the one doing all the cooking!! Well, about five days into this, he started getting tired of cooking everything and asked if I planned this illness (really?!?) just so he would have to cook. I had been wondering how long it was going to take him to ask me that and he was right on target with when I expected it.

Time for my bedtime meds and I hope I sleep till noon!

MayinJerset
May 6th, 2016, 06:08 AM
Pat, so glad you are feeling a bit better, you really have had a bad few weeks. My DH also thinks heating leftovers of food I made is 'cooking'. No Cinque de Mayo foods for us this year. Most Mexican foods are too salty for me and DH doesn't like foods that are real spicy so I make our own. I really didn't feel like cooking tonight so we cooked DH's style with leftover meatloaf and a store bought greens & veggie salad mix.

Kim, that quilt is beautiful but certainly not one I would ever attempt with all those tiny applique pieces. When I washed long yardage I would hang it to dry outdoors over the deck railing, Fabric wasn't too wrinkled and made for easier ironing.

Cathy, I hope those teachers appreciate all the hard work you do to show them appreciation. You seem to be the driving force behind many of the school's activities.

Nancy and carolynrae had frustrating days, hope today is a brighter one for both of you.

Been sleeping pretty much through the night lately so I haven't been out in my tree during the night, Slept over 6 hours so now I'm wide awake and hungry. Those snacks Cathy made sure would be nice right about now with a cup of tea. Better stick to my glass of water and wait until 7 or so to have breakfast.

Carol336
May 6th, 2016, 07:05 AM
Hoot Hoot - really slept in this morning 5am....wow.

My goodness Pat, you really had it bad, glad it's finally getting better.

Kim - you are a brave soul...no way I'd ever attempt a project like that.....can't wait to see the finished quilt.

No Cinco-d Mayo Celebrations here....weekly weigh in at WW this am and it's gonna be bad enough without all that alcohol and salt....maybe a little splurging tonight though!!!

Cool Breeze Quilter
May 6th, 2016, 02:18 PM
I'm off from work today. I've run some errands and caught up with some little things. Later today I think I'll get some sewing time in. :-)

Neller
May 6th, 2016, 03:22 PM

Holy smokes! That is an incredible undertaking, but it will be beautiful in the end! Please post pictures along the way!

easyquilts
May 6th, 2016, 03:49 PM
Well... I ended up in the ER, with a huge bleeding bump on my forehead... Tripped over a concrete step, and landed flat on my face... CT scan came bavk just fine..., I'm OK... But, my upper arms are sore from breaking the fall...

Today...Friday....was a better day... Had my hair cut by Jack, who always makes me feel better...

bubba
May 6th, 2016, 04:05 PM
When I say I made chicken enchiladas, believe me, it's nothing hard or fancy!! I use this recipe....Campbell's Easy Chicken & Cheese Enchiladas Recipe (http://www.campbellskitchen.com/recipes/easy-chicken-cheese-enchiladas-50780)

I boil a small pack of chicken tenders and shred them up and go from there. You are eating w/in an hour from when you start making them....quick and easy! I don't do spicy, so I buy the mild Safeway brand salsa that has black beans and corn in it and it's just perfect. If I had my druthers, I'd put olives in them, but MM can't stand olives :(

K. McEuen
May 6th, 2016, 04:52 PM
Oh man! I love the Safeway black bean and corn salsa. I haven't had it in probably 20+ years, as we don't have Safeway here anymore. Last time I had it, I bought a case when we were in Arizona and brought it home with me.

MayinJerset
May 6th, 2016, 06:10 PM
Pat, Thanks, that is a quick and easy recipe, will try it soon as I get some of the ingredients. Might make my own cream of chicken soup as I try to eliminate as much sodium as I can. Too bad that there isn't any Safeway markets in our area as their salsa with beans and corn sounds really good. From the comments others liked the recipe.

kimsophia
May 6th, 2016, 06:28 PM
Well... I ended up in the ER, with a huge bleeding bump on my forehead... Tripped over a concrete step, and landed flat on my face... CT scan came bavk just fine..., I'm OK... But, my upper arms are sore from breaking the fall...

Today...Friday....was a better day... Had my hair cut by Jack, who always makes me feel better...

Ow! :( Sorry you fell! Hope you feel better soon!

kimsophia
May 6th, 2016, 06:29 PM
For me it was Safeway granola. We ate two bags of it in London and I even looked online to see if I could get it shipped here with no luck.

judimccl
May 7th, 2016, 03:40 PM
Glad to hear the scan came back okay. Take care of yourself, and I will say some prayers for you to get over the soreness real quick. :icon_wave: