PDA

View Full Version : Superstitions

jrchapman
March 6th, 2010, 11:12 PM
I found out today why some of my favourite fabrics don't make it into my LQS. the lady who runs the shop told me that she doesn't buy in any fabrics that have birds or feathers on because people are very superstitious in the North East of England and apparently birds are very unlucky in the home. I had never known that!

Does anyone know of any other similar little superstitions?

quiltingtrish
March 7th, 2010, 03:01 PM
HUH!!! I haven't heard of any fabric superstitions, so I guess I learned something new today!

Hugs,
quilting trish

ladybugmom62
March 7th, 2010, 05:39 PM
I didn't know there were such things. I will be curious as to what all you ladies know about this!

toggpine
March 9th, 2010, 11:31 PM
That is a new one on me. Do you think she has watched Hitchcock's "The Birds" one too many times?

sewhot
March 11th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Hmmm, I personally think it's a preference thing. I know I have one lady who comes into our shop who hates birds...but I don't think she's superstitious about it.

Hmmm, interesting.

jrchapman
March 11th, 2010, 06:36 PM
I've been researching it and apparently people used to think that a bird flying into the house was an indication that somebody was going to die. Over centuries this seems to have developed into a general fear of all things bird in the home. I don't know whether this is a country wide thing or just specific to the North of England but it obviously hasn't made it over to the US.

Darlene
March 14th, 2010, 07:04 PM
I sure didn't know this when I had my parakeet for 8 years. It could be an old wives tale or folklore.

janluna
May 7th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I've been researching it and apparently people used to think that a bird flying into the house was an indication that somebody was going to die. Over centuries this seems to have developed into a general fear of all things bird in the home. I don't know whether this is a country wide thing or just specific to the North of England but it obviously hasn't made it over to the US.
It's a good thing it hasn't made it here. I own 5 birds! No problems yet and I've had them for 15 years. I think that lady has a screw loose. LOL

jrchapman
May 7th, 2010, 09:32 PM
It's so funny. I haven't been able to find anyone else who follows this superstition but I was watching a sitcom last night with my big sis and they were talking about it! My sister thought it was weird and even weirder once I told her the story about the LQS.

At least now I know my LQS owner isn't bonkers.

gelfling9
May 10th, 2010, 02:45 PM
.......hmmmmm.....2 weeks ago, I bought 2 fat quarters of a lovely flamingo print!! I'm on the fence when it comes to superstitions and other things related like the supernatural. Basically, I always reserve the right to change my mind either way (lol)!^^