PDA

View Full Version : Happy Valpurgis Night

Wwena
April 30th, 2016, 06:36 PM
Today we celebrate Valpurgis Night ("Valborg" in Swedish) and welcome spring by lighting bonfires, singing songs about spring and generally getting together to have a good time. This is the biggest bonfire in our town of Örebro (mine and Annika's - Swedish Leo). It's on the river surrounding our castle and its lit by a burning arrow while onlockers stand on the other side of the water, cheering. It's beautiful!

129857 129858

I hope spring has found you too! We can't wait for it to finally give us some warmth over here, it's been a pretty cold April. Tomorrow we are going to go look as they let the sheep out to graze at Tant Grön for the first time this year. :)

LauraP
April 30th, 2016, 06:49 PM
sent this on to my granddaughters. They love learning other countries traditions. Thanks and have fun. Laura

Lyndaj
April 30th, 2016, 07:02 PM
Happy Spring.

Cokie
April 30th, 2016, 07:16 PM
Sounds like a fun tradition! Happy Spring to all of you in Sweden.

kensington
April 30th, 2016, 07:19 PM
Happy Spring to you!

MayinJerset
April 30th, 2016, 07:20 PM
What a lovely tradition, hope you all enjoy it and that Spring really comes with warmer weather.

Midge
April 30th, 2016, 08:09 PM
Thanks for sharing your town's tradition with us. It sounds like a lovely evening.

quiltingtrish
April 30th, 2016, 08:54 PM
I love your photos! That seems like so much fun and at a beautiful castle too.

sewbizzy
April 30th, 2016, 09:22 PM
Thanks for sharing your traditions...love the pictures...Happy Spring!

Grandma Nan
April 30th, 2016, 11:08 PM
Love the tradition and it is always fun to celebrate, especially Spring. It has been a cool April here too. Hope May brings us all some warmer weather.

grammaterry
April 30th, 2016, 11:49 PM
how nice for you to share the pictures and the tradition of your country. Here in the US, May day celebrations used to be very popular. I think we are losing some of our grand traditions to modern technology and just being too self absorbed to enjoy the day.

Kgrammiecaz
May 1st, 2016, 12:13 AM
Great way to celebrate, looks like fun.

Neller
May 1st, 2016, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the pictures and information about your culture! I lived in Alaska for a long time and the end of April was when I finally could see signs of spring: leaves coming out on the trees, flowers blooming. Although spring starts in March, in the northern climes it arrives a little later! Happy Spring to you! Someday I'd like to visit Sweden.

kimsophia
May 1st, 2016, 01:17 AM
That is so awesome that it is lit with a flaming arrow!!! :D :D :D

Angelia
May 1st, 2016, 09:48 AM
Is this the holiday for which Sima is traditionally made? My husband used to make it each year.

CarolynK
May 1st, 2016, 11:01 AM
That sounds like fun! Happy Spring and enjoy!

Wwena
May 1st, 2016, 02:01 PM
Is this the holiday for which Sima is traditionally made? My husband used to make it each year.

I don't recognise it, but I googled and it seems to be part of the Finnish Valpurgis traditions. :)

redcaboose1717
May 1st, 2016, 02:29 PM
Thanks ! I love seeing photos from other countries and learning about their traditions !
The photos you posted are absolutely beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing ! :)

redcaboose1717
May 1st, 2016, 02:32 PM
how nice for you to share the pictures and the tradition of your country. Here in the US, May day celebrations used to be very popular. I think we are losing some of our grand traditions to modern technology and just being too self absorbed to enjoy the day.
Terry, I agree. I remember when I was in the 4th grade and the first week of may the 4th grade teachers taught all the 4th graders how to do a May Pole dance......the children danced around this huge pole holding on to different colored ribbons to make a pattern around the pole.....different steps were used to do this. It was a lot of fun. The girls were dressed in light colored skirts and white blouses and the boys were dressed in dark pants and white shirts & dark ties....

Juliet Taylor
May 2nd, 2016, 03:30 AM
Thanks for sharing :)

Bubby
May 2nd, 2016, 08:22 AM
Good to hear from you, Anna. The pictures are beautiful. Yes, Spring has found us here at last. Our hummingbirds have all returned to our feeder and the turtles are passing through on their way to mate.

Angelia
May 2nd, 2016, 11:30 AM
I don't recognise it, but I googled and it seems to be part of the Finnish Valpurgis traditions. :)

Ah--I guess I got my countries confused! Happy Spring.

rebeccas-sewing
May 2nd, 2016, 01:50 PM
A wonderful time of the year for the Swedes. Looks like lots of fun. The Orebro Castle is awesome. I imagine you've taken a tour of it at some point. Is it being used at all or is it just open for tours? I would imagine there are certain functions that take place there during the year?

WendyI
May 3rd, 2016, 03:43 PM
I wish we had similar traditions here. Our country is so "new" by comparison to so many others...we don't have the same sense of community here I find...or maybe it's just been lost. :(

Thanks for sharing!