PDA

View Full Version : Quilt top is almost done...

pmriley
March 6th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Ok ladies, my top is almost done. BUT some of my squares are not exactly what I would call straight! lol I have enjoyed doing this quilt but I dont think Im going to show it to anyone! :( Is there anything I can do about some of my squares being bigger? Im hoping with each quilt, they will look better.

Mary

quiltingtrish
March 7th, 2010, 03:00 PM
If your squares are all cut out, maybe take the smallest squares you have and lay one down on a piece of cardboard. Cut the cardboard out to that smallest square size. On the cutting mat, lay down your big square and place the piece of cut out cardboard on top of it. Cut the big square out around the piece of cardboard and they should all be the same size.

Does this make sense? I've done this and it works.

Good luck and let us know how you are making out with it.

Hugs,
quilting trish

KarenB
March 8th, 2010, 10:07 AM
I'd add to Trish's suggestion that you make sure you center your cardboard template. Can't wait to see your finished product. And don't worry, when you are done, it will be beautiful!

Rosie
March 10th, 2010, 05:38 PM
That's why I love buying the pre-cuts. It makes quilting so much easier and the corners almost always join together perfectly. I am however working on a quilt for my daughter using FBY and I'll be sure to use Trish's tip about using the cardboard. Don't be shy about posting pictures. I want to see your final product :)

pmriley
March 10th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Im about to cut my bordors out. Cutting the fabric is the scariest part...lol.

Mary

quiltingtrish
March 12th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Mary - just remember, it is just fabric.
If you haven't cut your borders yet, remember - which I always forget, that when you measure for your top and bottom borders and then sew them on that your side borders will have to have extra added to them because you just extended the top and bottom of your quilt.
Does this make sense to you?

I always have to think twice if I cut my side borders when I cut my top and bottom borders and remember to add extra to the sides to go up and down the sides of the quilt.

Hope this helps.

Hugs,
quilting trish

ktbb
April 4th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Mary - just remember, it is just fabric.
If you haven't cut your borders yet, remember - which I always forget, that when you measure for your top and bottom borders and then sew them on that your side borders will have to have extra added to them because you just extended the top and bottom of your quilt.
Does this make sense to you?

I always have to think twice if I cut my side borders when I cut my top and bottom borders and remember to add extra to the sides to go up and down the sides of the quilt.

Hope this helps.

Hugs,
quilting trish

The problem you mention, Trish, is the reason I tell my students to not measure or cut the "other" two sides until after the first two opposite sides have had their border/sashing attached and pressed. Always a disappointment to realize you cut it too short, especially if you don't have more fabric and want the border/sashing seamless.

toggpine
April 5th, 2010, 01:53 AM
You can find some of the June Taylor acrylic rulers that allow you to center the square and trim off the extra so they are all the same size when you get ready to assemble the top. You won't cut into the acrylic as easily as the cardboard either. (I am sure there are other brands, but that is the one I have here. I bought them on clearance or with my half-off coupons.)

Re-sizing the blocks is very important if you are participating in a swap. I found that out the hard way with the first swap quilt I put together. Some were so much smaller I had to add a border to them to keep the rest of the blocks true to their designers pattern. Others needed a bit of a trim.

As for the sashing and borders. I have also seen cute blocks or squares of coordinating fabrics put in at the corners to make up for the slightly shorter borders too. There is pretty much a fix for every quilting "mistake" you can make.