PDA

View Full Version : Bad day yesterday

Carlie Wolf
April 29th, 2016, 01:39 PM
Boy were we hit yesterday. A storm blew through and we had hail the size of gulf balls and some as large as softballs!! Most of the town had their cars damaged big time. Although my car's windshields made it through (my sister's audi did not) my car looks like it just went through a West Virginia target practice. I have holes in my roof and both my and my neighbors roofs are totaled according to the roof assessor. The siding next door has to be replaced. I have several broken and cracked windows in the house! I and next door rent from the same landlord who is very nice and he is fully covered thank God. Unfortunately my car is a 1998 so I don't have comprehensive on it. All those dings and groves will be rust haven within a year I'm sure :-(.

Carlie made it through the storm although she was not happy and today she is still hanging close to me. You would not have believed the noise!!! Amazing! I'm a coward so I spent some time during the storm in a cubby hole by the back stairs with the doors closed :-) I'd have gone to the basement but the wind didn't kick up and I had left my flashlight upstairs. The pics aren't showing just how bad it was.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 29th, 2016, 01:59 PM
Hail is so scary, so destructive and comes on so fast. So sorry to hear of your losses! Glad the pup survived!

This is what I found in the yard of the rental home I'm trying to sell. Result of a lightning strike to the neighbor's tree from Tuesday's storm. Not a happy surprise for sure.

Carlie Wolf
April 29th, 2016, 02:04 PM
You seem to get really bad storms out that way. I always thought of us as being somewhat protected. There is something about the mountains right here in this town where usually the storm break apart and reform on the other side of the town. I just read that apparently at least one of the local car dealers was totaled. All cars they had in their lot was ruled a total loss.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 29th, 2016, 02:07 PM
You seem to get really bad storms out that way. I always thought of us as being somewhat protected. There is something about the mountains right here in this town where usually the storm break apart and reform on the other side of the town. I just read that apparently at least one of the local car dealers was totaled. All cars they had in their lot was ruled a total loss.we have had storms like you describe in the past and car dealers really take the hit bad! It is just something you can't escape in the Midwest! I have a new car and won't go out when it looks like a storm is brewing.

snippet
April 29th, 2016, 02:14 PM
Wow! You really got hit hard! What is it with all the hail storms lately? Hope you can get your home fixed up before any other storms come.

We had one terrible storm a few weeks ago, and then just this past week we had another hailstorm but it didn't do much damage. Heck there weren't any skylights or car windshields left after the first storm! lol A bunch of insurance companies have taken over empty car lots and pitched tents to do appraisals and inspections. And body shops from nearby cities are advertising they will come get the cars, take them to be repaired and bring them back. This is great because there is a real delay in getting things fixed here - everyone is booked, car repair shops and roofing contractors. It's crazy, but good business.

Carlie Wolf
April 29th, 2016, 02:34 PM
I just can't imagine how the insurance companies are cringing. My landlord was the first guy to show up to put in his claim and he immediately called the roof guy. He just had the roof gone over last year so he called the same guys. They immediately started at least doing a patch job since it's suppose to rain tonight. I've seen a few flatbed trucks taking some cars away to be fixed. It seems every other car that goes by has tons of dents and/or cracked windshields. You can tell all the town cars! I've been in hurricanes, floods and snowstorm but never this type of thing so it's all new to me. The realization of the monumental amount of damage didn't hit me until this morning. Also I'm thinking the scammers are already out. Maybe I'm wrong but a guy came to the door saying that he's doing a "community service" and he works with the insurance companies to make sure that everything is done to code. I said we're already taken care of so he got a little pushier. Then he says that he works for the insurance companies and works with their assessors and what they get is that they then do the repairs and take what the insurance companies says they will pay. Something doesn't sound right to me. My ears really perked up when he said he's like a lawyer for insurance companies that things get done "right".

bubba
April 29th, 2016, 03:07 PM
I'd have asked for credentials. That guy sounds like the scum of the earth! I hate people who try to take advantage of others....

I can't imagine going thru a storm like that. The noise had to be horrendous! How long did the hail go on for? When we get it here, it's loud enough, but I have never seen it bigger than a pea. It normally only goes on for a few minutes, and thankfully it does not happen often.

Years ago, I saw a car in a parking lot at a store we stopped at. It was covered with little dimples....like a golf ball. I had never seen anything like it! The owner came out as I was looking and said they had bought in brand new in the Midwest after a big hail storm had gone thru and totaled all the cars on the dealership lots so they were selling them for $1000 just to get rid of them. They didn't care what it looked like as it was a brand new car that ran great!

I'm glad you have a good landlord!

Carlie Wolf
April 29th, 2016, 03:32 PM
Oh the guy had all kinds of looseleafs, brochures, cards etc. He even had a guy pull up in another truck hailing him to go over to another place that needed him ASAP. It didn't feel real to me though.

It started around 6:15 I think and lasted around 15 or 20 minutes. There was thunder before but I don't think their was during although it was so darn much noise. It sounded like hail was hitting up in the attic above my bedroom. Actually a few were and water even leaked through part of the bedroom ceiling. I noticed too that although one of the cars my neighbor has was under a metal roof, holes had broken through there too. It sounded like my whole roof was metal, which it's not.

Gee not a bad deal if I could get a new car for $1000 at that dealership. Wonder what the guy did about the dent marks not rusting eventually on his new car though???

JCY
April 29th, 2016, 04:00 PM
Colorado sometimes gets pretty bad hail storms as well. Our roof was damaged years ago & our ins. co. paid for a new one. Sorry for all your troubles. Glad everyone is safe.

Midge
April 29th, 2016, 04:05 PM
Sorry for your trouble, but at least no one was injured. Awful about your car, though. I know when you keep one that long your goal becomes keeping it going in as good shape as possible. This puts a 'dent' in that plan (sorry, couldn't help myself):icon_bigsmile:

Bubby
April 29th, 2016, 04:31 PM
I'll say you had a bad day! I hope everything is restored quickly so you can get on with life as usual. We had a hailstorm in 2008 and it ruined both our vehicles (a new Suburban and my HHR), destroyed our roof, windows and siding on my old house, as well as the riding mower and patio furniture. My house looked like it belonged in Beirut! Both of our vehicles were total losses. Cattle were killed all around us in pastures also. Never underestimate the power of Spring storms.

auntiemern
April 30th, 2016, 12:49 AM
At least you and Carlie are alright and that is all that really matters. As far as rusting from the dents...unless the paint is compromised, there won't be any rust.

bubba
April 30th, 2016, 03:43 AM
Gee not a bad deal if I could get a new car for $1000 at that dealership. Wonder what the guy did about the dent marks not rusting eventually on his new car though???

The paint was not cracked.....the car was just dented all over the place!

oldsewer
April 30th, 2016, 04:39 AM
Maybe after the immediate crisis is over and the car repair places are not so busy you could check and see if there is something they could spray on that would protect your compromised paint. Kind of like they spray on pickup truck beds, only clear of course. Clear coat type stuff. If it wasn't too expensive, might bring some peace of mind.