PDA

View Full Version : Love a good deal

Carolnnc
April 25th, 2016, 01:47 PM
I love to search thrift stores for something I need but don't want to pay full price for an item. I have discovered a new place in a nearby town. It's a recycle/reuse type place (they call them scrap exchanges I think). It's fun to wander around and see if you can find something you can use that is different from its original use. Businesses donate as well as the public so I never know what I'll find.
I took a trip over yesterday while DH was watching the car race. I had set a limit of $20 for spending so that meant no fabric. I found 20 older issues of Fons and Porter Love of Quilting magazines for 50 cents each! That's the one magazine I subscribe to and save so I was very excited. I also found a book published in 1972 that talks about the history of quilting for $4. There was a display of boxes that were like an index card box but shorter so they would fit in a drawer. The have clear tops so I can see what's in them. I have some but needed four more so that was $2. My last and favorite find was a needle dispensing container like you see in the doctor's office. It was a smaller one that could sit on a counter and was only $1. I had to dig in the bottom of my purse to find change to make it when tax was added but I managed to have some great finds for only $20 and every item was something I could use.
DH likes that I try to save us money in many ways but he is kind of wasteful. Do you find being thrifty a thrill or too much of a hassle?

nayzie
April 25th, 2016, 02:18 PM
I love the hunt for a bargain. I go to the Habitat re-store to find "treasures"

Lori63
April 25th, 2016, 02:19 PM
A couple of weeks ago I went to a garage sale that had fabric. You could fill a plastic grocery bag stuffed full for $5. I found lots of great Christmas fabrics, most still in the original fat quarter or yard folds. I even got a couple pieces that were 2 yards, plus lots of fat quarters that had a small circle cut out. Based on the prices still on some of them, I figure I got over $60 worth of fabric for $5. I'm making a crazy block quilt out of it, well I'll probably have enough fabric to make two or three quilts!

grammaterry
April 25th, 2016, 02:25 PM
What town in NC are you in.?
I love to search thrift stores for something I need but don't want to pay full price for an item. I have discovered a new place in a nearby town. It's a recycle/reuse type place (they call them scrap exchanges I think). It's fun to wander around and see if you can find something you can use that is different from its original use. Businesses donate as well as the public so I never know what I'll find.
I took a trip over yesterday while DH was watching the car race. I had set a limit of $20 for spending so that meant no fabric. I found 20 older issues of Fons and Porter Love of Quilting magazines for 50 cents each! That's the one magazine I subscribe to and save so I was very excited. I also found a book published in 1972 that talks about the history of quilting for $4. There was a display of boxes that were like an index card box but shorter so they would fit in a drawer. The have clear tops so I can see what's in them. I have some but needed four more so that was $2. My last and favorite find was a needle dispensing container like you see in the doctor's office. It was a smaller one that could sit on a counter and was only $1. I had to dig in the bottom of my purse to find change to make it when tax was added but I managed to have some great finds for only $20 and every item was something I could use.
DH likes that I try to save us money in many ways but he is kind of wasteful. Do you find being thrifty a thrill or too much of a hassle?

grammaterry
April 25th, 2016, 02:26 PM
Man, I do love a bargain but it has to be something nice that I know what I'll do with and not need much cleaning. haha

Doloris
April 25th, 2016, 02:43 PM
I LOVE finding the bargain, and the hunt is just as thrilling as the find. I just found a brand new steam press on Craigs List for $25. They run about $200-$300. Works perfectly

auntiemern
April 26th, 2016, 12:06 AM
I LOVE thrift store shopping. I hate paying full retail for anything. There are a couple I go to when I go to the lake. Nothing better than getting that score. There are several here within driving distance. I also buy from the local FB sale groups. DD and I both have bought brand new shampoos and other care items as well as cleaning items that at a fraction of the cost from these sites. (from super coupon shoppers) She actually just bought a $2500 Calligaris dining table w/6 chairs, that is like brand new for $150. It has an etched glass top and expands to twice the size. That is also how we both scored our new furniture. I say if you can get it, and save a LOT of $ doing it, go for it. Congrats to you for your finds.

Kat Smith
April 26th, 2016, 12:38 AM
I remember one year I had received some money for my birthday and I was out shopping for some new tops. Hubby pointed out something that was nice and cheap, some of my favorite qualities. I thought about it for a min. and then said "I think I can find something cheaper" To which he replied " Oh I get it, it;s not how nice it is or if it fits, or you have something to wear it with, or that it might look great on, it's how cheap you can find it." Ummmm, pretty much sums it up most time.

Kathy

pcbatiks
April 26th, 2016, 12:42 AM
I love a bargain. Some of my best quilting finds have been from estate sales or garage sales!

bubba
April 26th, 2016, 02:52 AM
A couple of weeks ago I went to a garage sale that had fabric. You could fill a plastic grocery bag stuffed full for $5. I found lots of great Christmas fabrics, most still in the original fat quarter or yard folds. I even got a couple pieces that were 2 yards, plus lots of fat quarters that had a small circle cut out. Based on the prices still on some of them, I figure I got over $60 worth of fabric for $5. I'm making a crazy block quilt out of it, well I'll probably have enough fabric to make two or three quilts!

I recently went to one of those......only it was $1 for a bag! I got at least ten yards of fabric in there!

EnumclawGramma
April 26th, 2016, 07:13 AM
I love bargain hunting. It's how I found my awesome sewing table on Craigslist for the amazing price of FREE!

Bubby
April 26th, 2016, 07:35 AM
I love a great deal. We have a community center and I pick up men's long sleeve shirts ($1each) for kicking around in. Sometimes they let you fill a bag for $1. Last year I scored a new (price tag still on....$98) Ralph Lauren s shirt. Sometimes I run across old quilt blocks there and Reggie makes donation quilts from them.

mischiefkat
April 26th, 2016, 08:35 AM
I love bargain hunting. It's how I found my awesome sewing table on Craigslist for the amazing price of FREE!
I haven't read the other posts in this thread yet, so if I make a "fupaw" forgive me, but this looks like one awesome find. You are very fortunate to have found this. To say that I am envious is an understatement. But I don't have the space to put it, anyway LOL. Congrats. kathy

mischiefkat
April 26th, 2016, 09:19 AM
I love a great deal. We have a community center and I pick up men's long sleeve shirts ($1each) for kicking around in. Sometimes they let you fill a bag for $1. Last year I scored a new (price tag still on....$98) Ralph Lauren s shirt. Sometimes I run across old quilt blocks there and Reggie makes donation quilts from them.
I guess this must be "Green Tuesday" for me. You are most fortunate to be able to buy for as little as you do. I live in SW Fla ( old people's country). For all the resale shops we have including Goodwill & Salvation Army, selling the remains of estates, things are expensive. Kathy

WendyI
April 26th, 2016, 10:18 AM
Libby that is an AMAZING find and DEAL! I am not much of a bargain shopper I have to admit. Not that I don't love a good deal, I just never seem to have time to look for it. I am also not a morning person, so garage sales are a colossal waste of time for me. lol Maybe once I retire I will have more time to search for deals. Here, not much gets sold...we pass it on to someone typically.

Carolnnc
April 26th, 2016, 10:29 AM

Wow. I would say that is the find of the year! What a great find.

EnumclawGramma
April 26th, 2016, 12:08 PM
Wow. I would say that is the find of the year! What a great find.

LOL! Thanks you guys! I posted this a couple years ago when I got it, and the story behind it. The seller actually had a price on it, we exchanged a few "nice table" emails, (it was way out of my $$$ range, WAY out) and the next morning he emailed me and said "come get it, it's yours!" I love it, and I'm so thankful for it, and I totally believe it's one of those "God provides" things. Yaknow?

songbird857
April 26th, 2016, 06:59 PM
Libby, that is a great find!!

My thrift store shopping has evolved over the years. Growing up, we frequented flea markets - I loved to find treasures. When my kids were younger, I'd buy just about anything...
Now, I'm a bit more picky - if I don't LOOOOVE it, or absolutely NEED it, it stays on the shelf. The older I get, the less I like clutter, maybe because I've watched my parents living in an apartment that is difficult to navigate because of all the 'stuff' in there...