PDA

View Full Version : Do you think it's a mouse?

mpattylou
April 25th, 2016, 01:35 AM
A little background...my 2 year old grand daughter loves to help pick up pecans that fall from the tree in my front yard....only she calls them coconuts. Last fall we picked up almost a gallon ice cream bucket and I put them in my basement to dry and forgot about them.
I have done this for years with no problems. Fast forward to about about a month ago....my sewing area is in the basement. I was preparing to quilt a project on my Tin Lizzie. When I pushed the machine back on it's carriage, there laid a pecan. This was my first clue. In the next few weeks I would find random pecans in different areas of the basement....one in the sink by the washer...under the wire shelving. Then one day it hit me....yes I was in denial....I looked in the bucket and the pecans were almost gone. I promptly removed the remaining nuts from the basement and hoped he/they had left....yes I know...deeper into denial. The final straw was when I found a little dried puddle and a dropping on the carriage of my embroidery machine. OK....finally no longer in denial. I woke up the next day determined to clean and get the little pest(s). It had been a busy little bugger. I found a stash of pecans in my snow boots (mild winter here and I didn't need them this year)...another stash in my pile of rag rugs...another stash in my basket of batting scraps....and last stash in a shopping bag of shirts I was saving to make at shirt quilt. As I vacuumed and moved everything in the basement I found single pecans all over the place. I am sure I did not find all of them. I even found one in the cardboard tube of the roll of wrapping paper and it was in the ceiling area of shelving attached between the floor joists above. Needless to say...I pitched and purged all matter of stuff so my basement is much cleaner and emptier. I set 8 mouse traps (do you think that was overkill) and used different baits (cheese, peanut butter, a nutmeat (pecan of course), a bit of gummy bear, maple syrup, & bacon grease. The bacon grease was what got him. So far only caught the one. I have always heard...where there's one there's two.... Hope it's only 1. Only the second time I have had a mouse in my house in 40+ years of living here. Other time was because installers put plastic flexible pipe on new dryer vent. After that mouse I put rigid metal pipe in. So next year when GD and I pick up coconuts (also know as pecans) they won't be stored in my basement.

stationarymom
April 25th, 2016, 02:00 AM
I hope you got him for sure,but usually if one finds it's way his friends will follow.Good Luck

TMP
April 25th, 2016, 02:01 AM
I can not think of thing that scares me more than a mouse. When it comes to those critters 8 traps is not over kill. We use boxes of the mice poison/ bait stuff . It makes them want water my DH says and they drink and they die OUTSIDE.( well so far none have ever died in our house)

Years ago when my daughter was small we picked up pecans from the back yard tree and had a large brown paper grocery bag full. We put them in the garage. Someone left the garage door open and I could stand and wash dishes and watch the squirrels carrying off the nuts we had picked up.

It might be time for you to get a cat.

laura44
April 25th, 2016, 03:09 AM
I saw a mouse once in my old house, in the garage. It ate thru a
bag of dog biscuits. I put out a trap with peanut butter. I caught
not just one mouse, but 11 total. I had to throw out each trap. lol.
Never saw another mouse in 20 years. If they have no food source they will go away.

EnumclawGramma
April 25th, 2016, 06:57 AM
Living in the woods and next to a neighbor that has a really active chicken coop right on the property line, we battle these things a LOT. We never use bait or poison because if a family pet gets hold of the deceased rodent you've got a sick pet and a huge pet bill. Or your neighbor does. DH doesn't like to kill, so he uses "catch and release" traps. Yup. And he takes them to a near by field and releases them! (no joke) Eagles get lunch or critters run free. At least they're gone from here!
Squirrels though, that's another story. When we first moved here there were bird feeders and hummingbird feeders and squirrel feeders hanging from every tree. DH would spend the first hour or so of every single day after work filling all the feeders. Corn, nuts (by the 50# bag) seed and pounds and pounds of sugar! He finally decided (after about 3 years) that these little critters were extortionists! So he quit feeding them. That's when they took matters into their own hands. In our backyard shed they destroyed a large swimming pool and a beautiful canvas hammock. I guess he made them mad!

Iris Girl
April 25th, 2016, 07:42 AM
We bait our traps with Peanut Butter, they never resist. And yes if there is one he has friends and family.

meliswan
April 25th, 2016, 08:12 AM
If you can stand the smell of mothballs that will drive them away. It also works on snakes, cats and a whole bunch of other critters.

dwil23
April 25th, 2016, 08:53 AM
I think you are brave ..... VERY BRAVE. That's what I think.:icon_scared:

mischiefkat
April 25th, 2016, 09:29 AM
Maybe I'm underestimating the mice,but can't see them hauling off a pecan, then hiding them some place else. Squirel's mischief maybe? Kathy

Snip Snip
April 25th, 2016, 09:35 AM
IF you've only had one mouse in 40 years, you must be living in a fortress! Mice are a yearly invasion here, so we nearly always have traps set.
I used to sell garden supplies in a farm store, and I was told that the bait in rat poison, like "Just One Bite" contains warfarin, which is a blood thinner, to make the mouse bleed out internally when they eat it. Supposedly, mice and rats do not produce vitamin K, the blood clotting substance, so when they bleed, it won't stop. Also, they can't throw up, so the stuff stays in their gut. They start bleeding from the poison, and die. Supposedly, since dogs and cats can throw up, if they eat a poisoned mouse, they can just throw it back up, and no harm done. Sorry to be so graphic, but I thought this might help.

WendyI
April 25th, 2016, 09:57 AM
Poor wee mousey. :0 I really love mice (well all animals)....but I can see how they would be a nuisance. I hope (for the mouse's sake) that it was only one wee critter. I would also employ a catch and release. I found a wee door mouse in my recycle bin and drove 45 min into the country to a rehab centre so she could release it in her back yard! :lol: OMG it was the cutest thing EVER!

Apparently my ex has a mouse in his "new" place. Liam has said if he catches it he is going to bring it home. I would be just fine with that as long as it's contained. lol How can you be afraid of a wee mouse? LOL

Dollyquilts
April 25th, 2016, 10:26 AM
I had a mouse or rat in my garage and it made a nest in my engine of my Honda Pilot. It ate a anti-knock switch and cost me $300 for the repair. My cleaning lady is so tender-hearted. She set out sticky traps in her trailer to catch some intruders. She was so upset when she found one stuck, that she took him to the sink and washed the sticky substance off of his little feet.

MayinJerset
April 25th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Were the pecans still in their shells? If they were something or things went through a lot of trouble storing nuts for the winter but forgot where they were.

Many years ago we would get field mice in the winter. We had expanded into our garage for a TV room and the door leading to garage didn't fit properly so the little mice would get into the room. Mouse traps with some peanut butter did the trick until we had a better fitting door installed.

Had a big squirrel problem several years ago and used the catch and release method. Peanut butter worked best in those traps but we had to put it in just the right spot as sometimes those crafty squirrels got the pb but didn't spring the trap. Had to drive at least 10 miles away before we could release the critters.

Newest problem is that something got into our backyard shed and ate through the big bag of mixed bird seed, DH found seed scattered all over the shed. He swept it up and resealed the bag thinking the damage was done during the winter. Wrong as the seed was scattered the next day. Whatever it is they seem to be choosing the seeds they like and throwing the other seeds around. There is a rabbit and her babies under the shed but she or another rabbit has been there for several years without any damage to the bird seed supply. Time to get the squirrel trap out again and see what we catch. First the seed goes into a pail with a tight fitting cover. Metal pail as one year the critters ate a hole into a heavy plastic one that held the bird seed.

mischiefkat
April 25th, 2016, 11:28 AM
We were invaded by Raccoons overnight one time. How many I don't know but this is what they did. When they couldn't get the elastic closers off the metal feed cans in the shed, they knocked them over. Spilling horse and dog food everywhere, knocked a lot of the grooming supplies off the shelves breaking the bottles, chewed or clawed? a big hole in the screen porch to get at the cat's food. Then knocked over the 5ft tall dove cage stand and all killing one dove and maiming another. People think Raccoons are so cute. I'll take a squirel or mouse any day. Kathy

grammaterry
April 25th, 2016, 11:33 AM
Some of you must be city dwellers! Mice, chipmunks, moles, cayote, raccoon, wild turkey, bear, deer, spiders, frogs, snakes, salamanders, porch lizzards....oh my. I moved to the country (wilderness) 35 yrs ago into a "second home" repurposed for my family of 6. The people who built the little cabin didn't live here, they just vacationed. When we moved in, the critters had to be relegated to the woods. I shrieked and screamed for a couple of years if I came upon one of these critters in the house. We got a cat! problem solved. Critters stay outside, cat stays inside. Now we have 2 cats. We find cats age and loose their desire (hummm go figure) so we get one and about 5 yrs later we get a baby kitten and the cycle continues. The deer only come in when I'm baking cookies, so no real problem there since the children have gone, I mostly bake at the restaurant. The spiders just make a mess that has to be dusted every week but they eat the bugs and we never have mesquitos or flys because the tree frogs in the swimming pool take care of those. No mice or varmits in the house. Get a cat!

Hulamoon
April 25th, 2016, 11:34 AM
I use a no kill humane trap and let them back outside. We had mice for awhile and I loved them. Then dumb ass dh cleaned out the water bottle with bleach and killed them.

alliek
April 25th, 2016, 01:24 PM
I used to sew in my basement, which is unfinished. In the summer, however, for some reason the AC cools it so I had a large sunny window to sit in front of, large tables set up, shelves and storage bins etc. One day I go to get some batting out of the container and it is chewed up in places. Apparently the top of this storage bin did not shut tightly and I became aware of the little creatures that had a nice warm nest thanks to my batting. I had to throw it out and then I looked closely. Yes, little seeds here and there, all signs of a happy mouse family. Sooo.... cleaned that up and now sew in my dining room upstairs which is not optimal but works. I didn't set traps, I don't know if my DH did. I have to ask him. Love the rural setting of my home, DO NOT LIKE the critters.

ceiliam
April 25th, 2016, 01:34 PM
When my mom and stepdad moved here the bought a house and redid it, mom kept find food and thing in strange places the next morning especially her home made bread ,which was wrapped up...turns out they had a packrat...and he couldn't find out how to get bread out lol.....needless to say my sweet stepdad figured out how it was getting in and blocked it.
And yes Wendy I am one of those who is afraid discussed and hates the creepy crawleys

rebeccas-sewing
April 25th, 2016, 01:42 PM
City or country - it doesn't seem to matter. Animal problems exist everywhere. I think I mentioned we have/had a nest of baby birds in the fruit cage we use to pull fruit off the trees. I could pull it down and see what was going on in the nest. The other day Joe said it seemed awfully quiet and was wondering if they had flown away. I pulled down the cage and four birds went flying as I had startled them. I was cleaning out a flower bed and there sat one of the babies. Yikes! It then occurred to me that they probably weren't ready to leave the nest even though they were beginning to fly. I tried to catch it and it flew onto one of the shelves in our garage. Joe finally caught it with the leaf bagger that we use to clean out the pool along with a small towel. He put the little guy back in the nest. I just hope the mom and dad find that he's still there. I'm wondering what happened to the other three. I felt terrible. As soon as that nest is empty I'm cleaning out that cage and stuffing something in it so they can't nest in it again.

As to mice, rats, squirrels...they exist as well. Fortunately, we haven't had too much trouble in that department.

Years ago I planted a lot of flowers. Next morning I found them all dug up. I think the raccoons or opossums must've been looking for grubs/insects and decided my newly planted flowers would be a good bet for a tasty treat. I was so disgusted that I am only now putting in some flowers after that episode which took place many years ago. So far so good.

Coyotes are a nuisance around here as well. My neighbor's little dog was attacked by one in the early morning when she let him out to go potty. The coyote grabbed her dog right in front of her and brought it over to my driveway where it proceeded to wring the dog's neck. She spent $2,000 in surgery and medical bills. After all of that the dog ended up dying. So sad. We even had a two-year old little girl attacked by a coyote while she was outside playing. That was many years ago when houses were going up and the animals were being displaced.

Mainiac
April 25th, 2016, 02:12 PM
I am not afraid of mice, but don't want them in my home. They make a mess, have fleas, and can carry diseases. Last fall I was looking for a piece of batting in my sewing room cupboard and found lots of sunflower seed shells all through the pieces of batting I had saved. I disinfected the cupboard and threw the batting in the washer in a mesh bag. Then I fond 2 tiny droppings in my guest room. At that point we declared all out war on mice. We have 2 attics and a basement and DH put traps in all those places. We found dead mice every day for awhile (15 or so). This spring when DH pulled his binoculars out of the case a bunch of seeds fell out. That case was on the top shelf of the guest room closet, so that got a good cleaning and more traps set. We got another 1 or 2. Don't let these destructive critters move in with you. These are the grey "house mice" with tails, not the tiny black furry, tailless ones that accidentally come in and want nothing more than to get out. Those we catch and place outdoors. ��

bubba
April 25th, 2016, 04:55 PM
I heard if there is one, there is ten!! That said, we just had one too. I actually saw it one afternoon when it ran across the kitchen floor!!! I could hear it in the wall next to where I sit at night watching TV. We finally got rid of it, but it took about a month. We had to be careful with traps because of Yoda, but thankfully he did not mess with them. Also thankful that MM found the body and not me!!

When our girls were still at home, Tiffany and a pair of rats for pets (nicest pet ever!!!) They were very tame and she took good care of them. Well, her older sister, Heather, decided she wanted a pair of mice, so we went to the store and asked for two of the same sex, which they promised is what we got. THEY WERE BIG FAT LIARS!!!!!!

Fast forward about six months and there I sit on the toilet when one of her mice runs between my feet! I went and got her to come catch it and when I walked into where the cage for these two little mice were kept, there had to have been well over 100 of them in there, if not more!!!! I made her bundle them all up and we took them back to the pet shop! It took years to get rid of all of them, and you could tell they were not wild ones because their coloring is different.

We had a cairn and he was a good mouse hunter. He would hear the heater rattle years later and he just knew it was a mouse skittering around and he would check out all the registers for hours on end waiting for that thing to show its head!

Hulamoon
April 25th, 2016, 05:19 PM
Lol Pat. That happened when we we went to Ohau and I got two bunnies for the girls. I put a collapsible pen in the yard for them to play with them. I turn around and see this little slug. Holy cannoli !

auntiemern
April 25th, 2016, 07:34 PM
My DH isn't bothered by them...although I am. Awhile back he told me, very nonchalantly, that he thought we had a mouse in the pantry. So I told him to set traps in there. After a week we caught nothing, although there was still evidence after cleaning the entire thing out. Wellllll, I went to get something out of there one evening and SAW it....That was IT...he was given the ultimatum...either me or the mouse, and I would not get back in that pantry until I knew it, or they were gone. Caught one, and no more. We always have traps set in the basement....just because of where we live.
The man (I love him dearly) just doesn't freak out over such things. Years ago, he told me once after I got up, that he had been watching one run up and down the one wall in the living room....WELL that was NOT happening. Made him and the boys up-end all the furniture checking for it. As each piece was cleared, it was moved to the kitchen. Nothing. It was then I noticed a little hole in the weather stripping at the bottom of the door. We watched, me on a chair, and pretty soon here it came. It ran down the wall then back out the little hole. So a plan was hatched. ( our house faces east so the sun was shining in the little hole. DH then got a wiffle ball bat and crouched down next to the door. We watched and waited, watched and waited. Then it happened..the sun stopped shining through the little hole. DH had his plastic bat up and ready....then BAM!!! ...as soon as the mouses head cleared the hole...that was it. You may think DH is cruel...no he is not...it was fast and painless. Probably more so than a trap. So any way...I DO NOT DO RODENTS of any kind. JS

EnumclawGramma
April 25th, 2016, 10:15 PM
Maybe I'm underestimating the mice,but can't see them hauling off a pecan, then hiding them some place else. Squirel's mischief maybe? Kathy

Hm, don't pack rats steal and hide things? Just sayin....

jjkaiser
April 26th, 2016, 01:07 AM
Hm, don't pack rats steal and hide things? Just sayin....

I didn't know pack rats were real. I thought it was a expression meaning someone who collects a lot of junk.

auntiemern
April 26th, 2016, 01:19 AM
I didn't know pack rats were real. I thought it was a expression meaning someone who collects a lot of junk.
Haven't you ever seen or read Charlotte's Web?

tamsterg7
April 26th, 2016, 01:19 AM
I really don't like mice, but we have a crawl space under one part of the house that was added on and I know they are there. I see droppings on the storage shelves in the basement across from the beautiful sewing room my guys built me. I can't put traps down because my dog is lacking brain cells and would get his nose or tongue snapped in it. I read that putting dryer sheets out keeps them away - so I have them stuffed everywhere on my fabric shelves, storage and batting bins. Seems to work so far, but when I change them out the smell of an entire box filling the room can be overwhelming for a few days!

JCY
April 26th, 2016, 11:44 AM
Mice! Don't like 'em! In the Colorado area, some of them carry the Hanta Virus, which can be deadly. We sometimes catch mice in our garage. Rarely have had them in the house. Yes, peanut butter on traps works well. We also caught a couple in the garage with one of those glue boards. We keep those boards in various places in our house & garage, since there are so many spiders here, including black widows.

Squirrels - years ago we fed them. No more. They are pests with a capital P! One summer, one came in the open back garage door & chewed the plastic gasket on the door or our freezer. (I have nuts stored in the freezer.) DH found this little pile of white shavings in front of the freezer. He repaired the gasket with caulk. He promptly installed a storm door on that back entrance. No squirrel problems since then. They come in our yard to eat crabapples off our trees, & sometimes bury nuts they've found elsewhere. Their antics are fun to watch.

We're had our share of raccoons, too. They haven't been a problem since we took down our apple tree. Lots of rabbits around, but they seem to mostly eat the grass. If I see them in my flower beds, I go out with the broom & chase them off. It's amazing how the wild critters adapt to city life.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 26th, 2016, 12:55 PM
We had a mouse problem in 2 of our homes. When we lived in one suburban homes, the mice got in the garage, would run up the wall to the attic opening, scamper across the attic to a open set of boards that led them to the basement. When I moved my stash of fabric to my next home, we found huge stashes of birdseed transported from the garage to the basement through the attic tucked into many boxes of fabric! Little varmints! It was amazing how big these caches of seed were! We often heard scampering and caught a bunch of the little critters in the basement. Caught twins once in one trap! Caught Santa Mouse one year on Christmas Eve and the kids shamed me for it! Caught one by the foot only, then how do you discard that when it is still alive and not a carcass?

mischiefkat
April 26th, 2016, 01:08 PM
JCY's post reminded me of something that happened when we lived in Taos. I don't remember the name of the type of mouse it was. I was actually cute. Anyway, one morning I popped a slice of bread in one side of the toaster. The second I pushed the bread down, that mouse flew out of the other side like it was shot.. Ran along the counter into the laundry room,and was gone. Never to be seen again. Kathy

Hulamoon
April 26th, 2016, 01:32 PM
JCY's post reminded me of something that happened when we lived in Taos. I don't remember the name of the type of mouse it was. I was actually cute. Anyway, one morning I popped a slice of bread in one side of the toaster. The second I pushed the bread down, that mouse flew out of the other side like it was shot.. Ran along the counter into the laundry room,and was gone. Never to be seen again. Kathy

That reminds me of my printer. I turned it on and a gecko came running out. He lost his tail, but they grow back. lol

Angela J
April 26th, 2016, 01:35 PM
When we were first married and moved into our first home which was a really old house we had remodeled before moving in, we suspected there were field mice because we had seen droppings around. My husband put down the poison and suddenly no more mice, we thought.

We were entertaining new friends in the living room when out comes a mouse staggering across the floor like a drunk where he promptly died in the middle of the floor. I was so embarrassed. Needless to say, our new friends never came back.

We lived on a couple of acres and when the weather would get cold we knew they would try to get in so my husband searched and found every hole the carpenters had left that was too big and used tin to close it. We kept poison in very tight spaces where the dog couldn't get to it and we didn't see another mouse for the next 25 years we lived there.

So far in this house we have not seen mice or their signs, but we have battled moles. We had them in the other yard as well every couple of years. I let my husband battle them since I am not an outside person and he does all the yardwork.

amartin24
April 26th, 2016, 02:35 PM
I don't like mice either - they really gross me out thinking about how much stuff they've crawled across, pooping and peeing on - yuck!
Two things:
1) Having a cat doesn't mean you won't have mice! Or, perhaps our cats are lacking natural instinct and intelligence. Just sayin.
2) For those that use poison over traps, please reconsider. Many species of owls live solely on mice, so when you poison a mouse and the owl eats it, the owl dies too.

TMP
April 26th, 2016, 04:39 PM
I am getting cold chills running down my spine reading these post.

BarbaraB
December 28th, 2018, 11:02 AM
We live in an old house in a rural area on two acres so it's no surprise to have mice, field rats, voles, shrews, frogs, toads, snakes and the occasional chipmunk come in the house. We also have turkey, coyote, raccoons, possums, bear, deer, herons, bobcats, skunk, bunnies, weasels, snakes etc. We have two dogs and three cats in the house and we set traps high in the foundation, but still see them. They're an accepted part of life here and the main reason we don't want them in the house is because they do get into everything. We use plastic containers for everything.
What will freak me out though are fleas, ticks and cockroaches. I've never seen a roach since we've lived here but if I do I'll need therapy. And don't get between me and the shower if I think I may have a tick on me. The last time I had one on me I pulled it and a large hunk of flesh off my leg. It's justified somewhat since one of our dogs died of Lyme disease (not caught by vet I may add) and another needed a month long course of antibiotics because of Lyme disease.

Carlie Wolf
December 28th, 2018, 11:48 AM
I'm not a mouse lover. We had a problem in the cabin when we were up in Canada. OMG, do they multiply once they get in during late Fall. Carlie took care of them, she was a good mouser. I don't have them here but then again in the beginning I knew Carlie was concentrating on something. No voles anymore in the backyard either. I once had a sweet Rottweiller, Rusty, who liked mice. One afternoon I was taking a nap and suddenly a mouse flew up over my bed, followed by the cat, followed by Rusty. I did one of those gagging screams. Later in the evening I was sitting at my computer and thought ohhh how sweet, there was the cat and Rusty laying at my feet by the chair. I looked under the chair and there was the mouse also relaxing. Rusty would not allow the cat to harm it. UGH.

lourixe
December 28th, 2018, 12:35 PM
Mice don't scare me, but I hate their mess in the house. They either come in to steal food, or in the Fall they look for comfy nesting places. I find plastic containers don't contain them: they can chew through plastic. In my country house I keep food in mason jars. They are the reason why I started doing patchwork for the first time: they got into a wardrobe and built a nursery in my linen! I washed what was left from the sheets and made my first quilt out of the surviving fabric.
If a cat doesn't work, get a snake! I used to keep my dog's feed sacks in the shed we also used for storing wood for the stove. Of course I would see tiny holes at the bottom of the sacks where mice came to help themselves. Then no more, and as I lifted the sacks I saw a snake curling underneath, digesting mice.

bakermom
December 28th, 2018, 12:51 PM
most likely a family of them! my mom had a hutch with drawers in the kitchen where she kept seldom used linens. Went to get something out one day and found a stash of dry dog food.
Funny, my GKs call acorns coconuts, too.

kaydee
December 28th, 2018, 04:10 PM
I am horrified to tell you all this, but I will.

One day in early October, my husband and I were both up at 4:30 a.m., getting ready to head out to one of his regular (every three weeks) trips to Mayo Clinic in Rochester. As we were about to leave, I caught the blur of what I thought was a mouse running from under one chair to another in our family room.

When we got home, we set traps. We caught the mouse. And we caught many more mice. Many. Many. More.

35 in total. Over an 8-week period.

How can one house have 35 mice in it, and we not know it? Well, the mice seemed to be living in the basement up in the floor joists. And they were coming and going in and out of the house. It seems they never really ventured into the rest of the house (except for the one I saw that fateful morning -- the one which clearly ruined a good thing for all his pals). To this day, I have never found droppings anywhere but up in the floor joists, and all 35 mice were caught in traps up in the floor joists in the basement. They were apparently using our basement as shelter only. With several large oak trees in the back of our home (neighbor's yard), they didn't need any other food. (This year was a HUGE year for acorns.) If you read about mice, you'll find that's what they do (come and go, using your home as shelter). I hadn't been going in the basement much, except to do laundry. I had occassionally heard small noises, but I chalked the noises off to the furnace/hot water heater/exhaust pipes in that area.

We eventually found where they were coming in. The spot was not visible from either inside the house or outside the house. We found it only after removing all of the insulation along one side of the house, where the concrete blocks in the basement meet the wood frame of the house. Following along those concrete blocks with a camera, we traced their droppings to the corner of the house, where, on the outside of the house, the siding on the side of the house meets the brick on the front of the house. Turns out they had gotten up behind the brick and nawed a hole in the wood frame of the house behind the siding. And they were coming and going as they pleased.

We only found the hole b/c we had ordered a camera on a snake from Amazon b/c I wanted to look down the joists for possible damage and/or nests. (Those cameras are actually very reasonably priced, and quite effective, by the way.) The camera on the end of the snake sent the image back to our ipad, and eventually the camera found "light" which we determined to be our hole.

We filled the spot with spray foam insulation from both inside and outside, and never found anymore in the house. (They apparently don't like foam insulation.)

We also set out trays of the D-Con poison outside, right by the corner of the house where they had been coming in and out. We propped pavers over the trays such that mice could get into the D-Con area, but squirrels couldn't. We have gone through TWO trays of that D-con stuff, and we'll probably go through more. That's a LOT of mice! (None of our neighbors have animals that would eat a mouse, so no concerns there.)

From this story, you'd think I live in a rural area. I don't. I'm in the suburbs of Minneapolis/St. Paul. I mean, I knew we had mice in the area b/c we would occassionally find one in the pool skimmer, but I had no idea how large the problem was.

So, the moral to my story is this: If you have a mouse, they got into your house somehow. If you don't find how they got in, it does no good to live-release it/them, or even to kill them. They, and/or others, will return. You need to find where they are entering and plug their access.

Or, get a cat.

:)

P.s. When I have time, if you're interested I could tell you a story from when I was a child, and our neighbors were feeding a rat that had nested under their house, and my mother set out D-con to kill it. Ugh. I also have an amusing story of my daughter's recent experience with mice at an air bnb she had rented for 10 weeks in Berkeley. But right now, I have to go wrap xmas presents. Yup. We haven't had xmas around here yet.

MSN
December 28th, 2018, 09:28 PM
Kaydee,

An exterminator once told me that sometimes mice will chew through the spray foam insulation. He recommended stuffing the hole with steel wool or a wire mesh, then using the spray foam to seal out the cold air. He also said that mice do indeed live in the space above the basement ceiling and below the first floor. They love those floor joists.

I live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul suburbs, too (Eagan). Howdy, neighbor! :icon_wave:

kaydee
December 29th, 2018, 01:35 PM
Hi MSN! I'm in Shoreview, so not too far away!

I will pass that info on to my husband. Thanks for letting me know! Hopefully, the D-Con right by the entry point will do the trick for now, but I do have my eyes and ears open now when I'm in the basement!

I am going to turn this into a year-round battle b/c I hate finding them dead in the skimmer, and my husband noticed some garter snakes in the yard this year. Ugh! That's all I need - a snake to get into my house. Hopefully, if I cut the mouse population down to zero, the snakes will go away.

MSN
December 29th, 2018, 09:49 PM
When I moved into my house in 1993, I found a garter snake in the basement near the furnace. He was immediately relocated to the back yard. It was October, and I figured the snake was just looking for someplace warm and probably got in the house when the patio door was open during moving (it's a walk-out basement). A couple of days later, I found another one near the furnace. He was promptly evicted as well. A few days after that, I turned on the lights in the kitchen and saw a garter snake slithering across the floor. I completely lost it and screamed at the snake, "How in h*** are you getting into my house?" He wouldn't break his code of silence. I threw him out, then called an exterminator.

It was difficult to find an exterminator who would even deal with snakes. Only one company would. So their tech came out and inspected my house. He told me that the snakes were entering at the point where the siding met the foundation, and that I should apply caulk to seal the gap between the siding and the concrete block. So I bought a caulk gun and several tubes of caulk, and spent two days lying on the ground applying the caulk. That seemed to solve the problem. Or so I thought.

A couple of months later, I found another snake in the basement. I called the exterminator and talked to the owner of the company. He told me that caulking was the worst thing I could have done, as the snakes had already entered. Now I had trapped them in the house. They were nesting in the concrete block walls of the foundation, and would likely hibernate until spring. But from time to time, one may wake up and make his way into the house. He also told me that the snakes had mated, and that baby snakes would be arriving in April. Oh, joy!

When I protested that his technician had told me to apply the caulk, he said he couldn't be responsible for what his technician said. I begged to differ. If memory serves, I believe the terms "Better Business Bureau" and "Attorney General's office" were part of our discussion. In the end, he took a deep sigh and agreed that the next spring, his company would remove all the caulk I had applied so that the snakes could escape to the outdoors. In mid-summer, they would return and reapply the caulk. All at no additional charge to me.

Some of my friends were so creeped out at the thought of a snake that they wouldn't visit me. My co-workers started calling me Medusa. And I stopped walking around the house barefoot. The next spring, the exterminator removed the caulk, then reapplied it in July. That seemed to work for about five years, when I saw garter snakes slithering under my front steps. As part of a remodeling project, the concrete steps were replaced. Sure enough, there was a hole in the foundation under those steps. I had the concrete guy plug the hole, and haven't seen a snake since. We had an occasional mouse in the house until DH stuffed some insulation into the hollow parts of the concrete block walls in the basement, then troweled cement over the top to completely seal off the blocks. DH keeps mouse traps out year-round and checks them regularly. Knock on wood, we haven't had a mouse in several years.

Kaydee, to avoid snakes in the house, be sure to keep the lawn mowed short for several feet right next to your house. Snakes like the camouflage of long grass or other overgrowth. They do not like being exposed.

TMP
December 30th, 2018, 01:19 PM
When my Mama was alive she said I had so much fabric I was going to have rats. She sewed and quilted but didn't buy until she had all her projects complete.